Home The Bridge
Options

Did you buy the 2020 schematics packs?

Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in The Bridge
I was a little excited to see kind of an elusive treasures pack for ship schematics. But... it would still cost a fortune in dilithium to max out any of those ships. I'm curious to see how others feel about the packs, so I hope you'll comment below. Personally, I love the idea, but I think the schematic economy is ridiculously broken to the point that I stopped after just a few packs. But how do you feel?

(I made the poll anonymous, just in case you're embarrassed that you bought packs or don't want others to know how many you bought.)
Farewell 🖖

Did you buy the 2020 schematics packs? 84 votes

No way! Worst value in the game.
78% 66 votes
I did one pull and decided it wasn't a good enough deal to continue.
13% 11 votes
A few. It was kind of fun, but not worth more dilithium.
8% 7 votes
About a dozen. I really like ships, but that was all I was willing to spend.
0% 0 votes
A bunch. Ships are the coolest part of the game and I love building them.
0% 0 votes
Enough to max out one of the ships. I <3 SHIPS!
0% 0 votes
All the packs! I maxed out multiple ships because that's where my heart is!
0% 0 votes

Comments

• Options
    I didn't. Maybe I would have bought them as a new player, but even then, a pack with the old ones that drop from Dabo and voyages might have been more appealing (for a chance at completing a ship).

I'm not sure if they are the worst value in the game, but to me they're uninteresting. And for a new player they're probably excessively expensive if they want to max out a ship. Given that ships are of no use unless they're maxed, I don't think that the current ship packs make much sense, no matter how they tweak them.

• Options
    I did not. None of the ships have unique traits to impact voyages. It would be good if you needs ships with certain traits and don't have them already fully leveled. But for me, hard pass.
  • Options
    I didn't. Maybe I would have bought them as a new player, but even then, a pack with the old ones that drop from Dabo and voyages might have been more appealing (for a chance at completing a ship).

I'm not sure if they are the worst value in the game, but to me they're uninteresting. And for a new player they're probably excessively expensive if they want to max out a ship. Given that ships are of no use unless they're maxed, I don't think that the current ship packs make much sense, no matter how they tweak them.

To me, the fact that it takes almost 2 months of top 1% rewards to max a ship (assuming you got the 600 schematics from its debut skirmish threshold rewards) is part of the problem. When I talk about tweaking, I mean the whole needing 7,275 schematics to max a ship vs how many schematics a player can get from all sources dynamic.

I am curious though... two people said it's not the worst value in the game. What are some uses of dilithium that you consider to be worse?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I bought one of the crew Packs that ALSO included 2 ship packs the very first week after I started the game, because I had nothing at all to use that could get past the 1st battle on Normal difficulty. Never saw the need to purchase Schematics directly after playing for a few days.

To increase sales and player engagement with Schematics They could incorporate expand the Event for the Featured Ships. Giving pocket change to Hull points isn't it, and everyone know it! Perhaps creating an incentive to actually use the Event ships something like:

*Adding a VP bonus when using a Event Featured Ship.
    *Adding a small bonus the the mid battle rewards when using a Featured Ship.
    *Finally add a small stat boost to ALL ship properties for the Featured Ship.

As to having ship packs offered at the end of the year for collectors, why not? Those few that want to collect can do so in a targeted fashion, but many players will simply chose to take a pass.
  • Options
    Sven LundgrenSven Lundgren ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice if schematics for a new ship were added to the packs for the event they are released as part of.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

To me, the fact that it takes almost 2 months of top 1% rewards to max a ship (assuming you got the 600 schematics from its debut skirmish threshold rewards) is part of the problem. When I talk about tweaking, I mean the whole needing 7,275 schematics to max a ship vs how many schematics a player can get from all sources dynamic.

I am curious though... two people said it's not the worst value in the game. What are some uses of dilithium that you consider to be worse?

Extra scans? :lol:

All jokes aside, they just don't drop enough schematics from what I know (it's 150 right?), so even if the featured ships had unique voyage traits and I had them at, say, lv 9 already, I probably still wouldn't buy it. Let alone the fact that with 5 ships in the pack it would take how many pulls on average to get one specific ship from lv 9 to 10? 60 pulls?
    Given that there is no crew (aka honor) in these packs, that would be 21.000 dilithium to get a specific ship from lv 9 to 10 (if I got it right) with no extra bonus whatsoever. It would take me less than that, on average, to get a featured legendary from a 390 pack from 0 to 5 stars.

I don't think they're the worst value in the game, but when it comes to portal packs, they're somewhere up there with the elusive treasures single pulls from my point of view :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭

Items or stars in the faction stores. Anything higher than 10 dilithium in the Dabo wheel. Chronitons. Extra scans.

I'd agree with the people above that it's not the worst use. I've opened a few ship packs over the years, but it was usually when I was a drop or two from moving a ship up a level. Doing it enough to max a ship is WAY too rich for me. But I do like the idea of the ship packs and this one is better than the skirmish event ones as it guarantees a 5* ship drop (there's no guarantee, besides event ship, with those packs). I've said for awhile that ship packs should be regular addition to the portal screen.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    I bought two yesterday and will probably buy a couple more before they expire. It takes forever for STT to add schematics to the loot table, so I think it's worth a few 350 pulls now. It would be great if the replicator could be used for schematics. I rarely need all of my rations every day for equipment.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to remind people, it takes a total of 6675 schematics to fully level a 5* ship. That's 59 120 schematics drops from the arena; 70 100 schematic drops (skirmish event pulls or arena); or 47 150 schematic drops in regular portal packs. Those numbers don't include the initial 600 schematics to build a 5* ship.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options

So there are a few worse uses. I will say though, that I have done a scan to complete dailies on a busy day. Dabo can be the way to get a First To Max.

Faction store is terrible.
    Elusive Treasure single pull is like -1 slot for 6+ months.
    It would be nice if schematics for a new ship were added to the packs for the event they are released as part of.

This is a thought that I've had before. Thanks for posting it. :)

Extra scans? :lol:

All jokes aside, they just don't drop enough schematics from what I know (it's 150 right?), so even if the featured ships had unique voyage traits and I had them at, say, lv 9 already, I probably still wouldn't buy it. Let alone the fact that with 5 ships in the pack it would take how many pulls on average to get one specific ship from lv 9 to 10? 60 pulls?

These packs drop groups of 100 schematics, so your numbers are a little off. It makes the schematics an even worse deal than what your numbers suggest. So your point stands, and is actually even stronger. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t touch that pack with a ten foot pole. Schematics have been badly valued basically since day one, but particularly so since at least December 2017 when the ISS Defiant was released with a special $10 offer that sort of sounded like it would help make it much easier to finish the ship but only dropped 150 schematics. And don’t get me started on those horrific Sail The Starry Skies offers from years past.

It’s technically not the worst value in the game (that’s probably reserved for the straight-dil price for legendary crew in faction stores or the whole trade-dil-for-credits thing) but it’s one I would recommend to basically nobody. Newer players who have no 5* ships should still focus their purchases on event packs or discounted mid-mega, Friday, and mega recap packs; between these packs, Dabo, voyage dilemma drops, and arena rewards it should be possible to get the Prakesh, HMS Bounty, Borg Cube, or one of the other older ships completed before too long and at a drastically reduced cost compared to any schematics pack, even a special one like we have right now.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    It was a tough call. Buy those ship schemes, or dress up like a zebra and wander into the lion enclosure?

hyf2vy82s8ym.jpeg

I’m still on the fence about which is the better plan of action? :D

Honestly though, if you got more schemes for the amount of dilithium, or if a particular ship was truly a game changer, I might be willing to do a pull like that in the future. As it sits now though, no. At the upper levels of a ship, say 900 or 1800 schemes to advance, you're talking 2100 to 4200 dilitium if you got one set of the desired schemes per pull (150 schemes at a time).

Edit: I wonder if we might ever be able to use honor to level a ship? I know, it sounds crazy. However, if a particular ship were a game changer and you had some honor sitting around...
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I fell for it once, so shame on them, I guess!!!!!

dkaktz7qitkt.jpg
    However, quitting remains on the table.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmwWN5dagQs
    Why was Vicki not expelled from Greendale after she literally stabbed Pierce in the face with a pencil?!?!?
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can wait. I cut into my dilithium with the discount packs and those ships will be available eventually.
    The new legendary is in the rewards the event before. They ought to do ship schematics the same way or give you some with the event announcement. Tie the number of schematics to the equivalent level from 1500 and up. First place gets enough to max the ship, 1001-1500 get enough to build it, etc. Let them pop up in Dabo or the between the bouts prize. A new ship is harder to get than the 5* and way more difficult to improve. You can equip and train a gold. You are stuck with a ship as is without the schematics.
    Maybe they could do a mini event that works like a Galaxy, but you build components that convert into specific ship schematics, so you could focus on a ship or ships you need. If they did just one in the non mega months, that would still be six a year.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    I did a few, but not for the 2020 schematics. I have three ships which are a few hundred schematics from being maxed (Fed. Fighter, Jem-Hadar flagship, and Assimilated Voyager), and I have been getting impatient waiting for them to drop. And I haven’t been interested in any of the discount packs so far this month, so I bought 3 packs just for the fun of it and hope I would finish them. I got 300 Jen-Hadar and 150 Assimilated Voyager (as well as the 2020 schematics), and also scratched my itch to buy something.
  • Options
    I didn't buy it, the image looks appealing, but when I read the drop percentages, I realized I'd better save my dilithium for something better!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    The problem I have is that the ship schematics should vary between
    250-450 of them per, not 100-150 (or is it just 100)

Edit: looks like it is just 100.
  • Options
    The entire problem with buying them is IMHO is that the new ships or bonus ships really don't make enough of a difference in Skirmish or Arena to justify buying ship packs. If you are a completist they are a nice deal, but that's about it

÷
    siscsp3jajb3.jpg
    ÷

÷Dr. Claire Finn - Admiral of the Battleship Yamato & Founder of both the Battleship Yamato & ISS Yamato
  • Options
    I won't. For me, I find it fun leveling up ships through premium pack drops. It takes time, but it's the journey that makes it interesting.

Ships could use a major overhaul. Their value only comes into play on voyages and arena. And once you have a few good ones there, the rest don't really do much.

If the devs want to keep their ship schematics on lockdown and not release them in portal updates, that's up to them. I'm fine with keeping ships I'm not using at level 1. It would be fun to level them up, but certainly not at the expense of spending dilithium.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

These packs drop groups of 100 schematics, so your numbers are a little off. It makes the schematics an even worse deal than what your numbers suggest. So your point stands, and is actually even stronger. :)

So basically it would only take 1000 more dilithium to get a legendary from a 650 event pack from 0 to 5 stars than it would take to get a specific ship from level 9 to 10 in one of these? :sweat_smile:

I think that's the problem with schematic packs in general. Ships are less useful and less desired than crew and yet schematics are more expensive. Plus, those 50 crew packs would hand out quite a lot of honor too. The schematics for ships that are already maxed can't be turned into anything.

• Options
    Your poll didn't have my answer: "No". I have no comment on the value of the pack, and I appreciate TP trying something different. However, I don't see a significant benefit in upgrading obscure ships at the back of the hanger (for the last few Skirmishes there are has been little reason to fly anything other than my trusty D'Kora). Other people's mileage may vary...
  • Options
    Buying schematics. KEKW
  • Options
    Carefully read the pack description ... 100 of something, once ... the hundreds I get from Dabo and Voyage drops; the drops in premium crew packs ... were a much better deal. Left severely alone. Have seen La Sirena and The Artefact schems dropping anyway ... I'll stay with those
  • Options
    I didn't. I don't necessarily think they're worst value in the game but I don't really have any use for them. To max out a ship you need a lot of schematics (=dilithium) and I'd rather spend my dilithium on other things.

Agreed ‼️‼️‼️