Home Make It So!
Options

No More All-Immortal Beholds

The one thing that is killing this game more than anything else (at least for me) is getting all excited when I see a behold window opening, only to find three crew members whom I've already immortalized.

Why would I ever buy portal pulls when I'm likely to only get crew members I don't need? Wouldn't I be more likely to buy more portal pulls if I was guaranteed to get at least one character I don't already have? It's simple economics. If you want to sell more, make available what I want but don't have.

I could understand when the number of crew in the game was smaller that the current odds made sense. But now there are SO many unique crew and new ones coming out every week. Throw us a friggin bone!

BTW, I'm a member of a fleet filled with longtime players, and we've had multiple conversations about the game getting boring. These portal pulls are a frequent complaint. More so than just about anything else. I mean, the thing we all used to look forward to more than anything else in the game is now almost always a disappointment. Why should we keep playing? Much less keep paying to play.

I don't mean this to be a threat or an ultimatum. Just sharing a genuine frustration that is growing stronger. PLEASE fix this ASAP!

Comments

• Options
    Beholds and Begolds are an especially sore spot with me. Purple beholds I can sort-of understad, as there are only 25 purples I don't have at at least 1/4, so I'm getting to the point where WRG would have to give unlimited re-rolls on triple-immortal beholds for purples to actually yield anything fruitful for me. My bigger frustration is with the lack of begolds I get from 10-packs. A few days ago, I decided at the last minute to buy this month's campaign. Between the amassed goodies from the campaign and my pull from tier rewards, I had Nine 10-pulls waiting for me to open today (as superstition has me open all my packs on Tuesdays). Out of Nine 10-pulls, I only got 1 begold. This is the main reason I never buy vanilla 10-pull packs outright, or in pack bundles when vanilla 10-pull bundles go on sale. #1 Purple beholds are likely just going to be crew I already have immortal, and get chruned into honor. And #2 because I get lousy rates of actually coming across begolds (10% begold rate is pathetic).
    01000010 01101001 01110100 01100101 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is definitely a known pain point. I've seen a few threads with ideas to change the mechanic. I hope something like a 4th option or a re-roll is incorporated eventually.

I've got most SR's in the portal. There's just a few from the latest update that I don't have. I don't think they can completely eliminate the problem, but it would be nice to see a change to address the issue.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    I don't think they can completely eliminate the problem, but it would be nice to see a change to address the issue.

Unless they don't value long-term players and think they'll do better recruiting new players instead of keeping those they already have.

From my experience with recruiting for higher ed, I know it's usually far more expensive to replace a student who drops out than to keep one who is enrolled. I would expect the same to be true with customers here, but what do I know! :)

• Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    Generally speaking Acquiring a new customer can cost five times more than retaining an existing customer.
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    I don't think they can completely eliminate the problem, but it would be nice to see a change to address the issue.

Unless they don't value long-term players and think they'll do better recruiting new players instead of keeping those they already have.

From my experience with recruiting for higher ed, I know it's usually far more expensive to replace a student who drops out than to keep one who is enrolled. I would expect the same to be true with customers here, but what do I know! :)

My statement was in the context that if there were no all-immortal SR beholds, then I would have finished every SR added to portal this round with my 120-something 10x premium pulls. So after that, there's no way to give me anything but an all-immortal behold.

That's why I hope they address the issue in some fashion, though I understand that there is no 100% fix.

I heard there was a player who had literally every crew immortalized at one point. Technically, they can't even make a 100% fix for legendary beholds because the logic could fail at some point. But that doesn't mean they can't try what I mentioned above - a fourth option or a re-roll to help address the issue. And I want this for the reason you state - to help maintain the existing player base.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    The one thing that is killing this game more than anything else (at least for me) is getting all excited when I see a behold window opening, only to find three crew members whom I've already immortalized.

Why would I ever buy portal pulls when I'm likely to only get crew members I don't need?

I agree, but I also would love to see more begolds in the first place.

I have 110 unopened 10x Premium Portal Pulls right now (mostly from events), because they barely give me anything useful anymore. I hate wasting them for a measly ~1000 honor that I receive in most cases. And I'm far from being a maxed out player: I still have to obtain ~300 crew, yet my honor debt is already at ~20,000,000.

I vaguely remember an older comment stating that they are thinking about improvements with pulls and/or beholds (might have been Shan and might have been back in DB times, I really don't remember).

So, I'm sitting on my 110 Premium Pulls, waiting and hoping ...

• Options
    I hope something like a 4th option or a re-roll is incorporated eventually.

There won't be a one size fits all "fix" for this, but I think one "re-roll" would be a fair compromise. Of course, you could still get nothing you want on a re-roll (whether all immo or not), but it's something--a last chance, for better or for worse.

Precisely. I think this would be a nice little bone they could throw us. Especially considering how large the pool has become. The odds of a crew that I need being among the three options have grown quite small. I am only missing 13 of 319 in the portal. (If I counted correctly.) If those numbers are right, then I have almost 96% of SR's in portal immortalized. If my math is right, that gives me a 12% chance to get something useful. A 4th option would bring that up to 15%. A re-roll, I think, would get me closer to 23%. That's a little depressing, lol. If there were no straight drops and only SR beholds, then statistically, only 1 in 8 packs would be useful. Man... sure would be nice to get some sort of solution for this soon. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Blast HardcheeseBlast Hardcheese ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Personally, I'd like to see an honor multiplier as a "jackpot" (dabo?) prize for hitting three FF crew in a behold. Something substantial like a x5 honor for a bepurple and x10 for a begold. And if it came in a 10-pack, stack all multipliers earned and apply to every dismissed crew from the pack.
  • Options
    With over 150 Gold Immortals; Beholds with 3 of my Immortals are quite common; roughly 1 in 4. How about substituting a citation?
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    I'm going to jump on the "re-roll" bandwagon. I have around 150 super rare just waiting for stars that never show up.Yesterday and today I received all-frozen beholds. I haven't had a worthy behold in quite some time actually. It's ridiculous. I would be willing to spend some precious resources on a re-roll, even if I still get nothing.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    I would agree that the 10 pack (and 20 pack) pulls have become more of an honor farming than an actual boon. I've got about 30 SR at 3 stars or less, and about 15 I don't have at all - the rest are immortalized. Trying to fill level up the remainder has become a chore, as my golds have been slowly and steadily increasing and leveling up. I think it would be wise of TP to make the behold/begold rewards a little more rewarding - which would in turn boost the sales of the multi-packs.

The logic is easy to implement: before generating the 3 random crew, examine the non-immortal crew the current user has - we'll call this the "usable" set. If the usable set has 3 or more crew, let the first choice be a random selection within the usable set, and the other 2 truly random. However, if the usable set is very small (2 or less) or empty, just reward the player with the appropriate citation, rather than a choice of three useless crew. This will ensure that the behold/begold is beneficial - and when a player sees that big box pop up, they know it's going to be useful - and they will be happy.

Do this, and watch the multi-pack sales increase. It's a small bit of programming to add, but it will definitely improve player morale - and your incremental sales.

In the meantime, I wish everyone a healthy, happy and prosperous new year - may 2021 treat us all kinder and hopefully let us all get back to our "normal" lives sooner than later. LLAP!
  • Options
    Just circling back to this. In my latest portal pull, I received not just one, but TWO all immortal beholds. That's what I paid for when I bought the campaign. I think this will be my last campaign purchase for awhile. I'm tired of being disappointed.
  • Options
    latest beGold - 2 immortals and previous no-show Gowron ... hello 2021, hello Gowron! (Queue for citations is on the right)
  • Options
    I think the "reroll" idea is the best idea for the "immortalized" crew problem. They could even add a cost.

Perhaps your choice of merits or honor on a purple behold and honor or dilithium on a legendary behold. They could even make the first reroll cheap - 10 dilithium, then increase every time you reroll. On par with the Dabo Wheel.
  • Options
    Taelle FarTaelle Far ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Added to the "reroll a Behold" idea... Make all purples/golds come up in a Behold, and do away with "Insta-Purp" completely. I've been playing less than a year and I'm already tired of insta-purps. I can only imagine how weary long term players are of them.
  • Options
    KaiRoKaiRo ✭✭✭
    Taelle Far wrote: »
    Added to the "reroll a Behold" idea... Make all purples/golds come up in a Behold, and do away with "Insta-Purp" completely. I've been playing less than a year and I'm already tired of insta-purps. I can only imagine how weary long term players are of them.

Well, that is coming now. Will help a bit but still I think the fully-fused beholds will still be an issue.
    "Don't try to be a great man... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."
    -- Dr. Zefram Cochrane, around 2073
  • Options
    Personally, I'd like to see an honor multiplier as a "jackpot" (dabo?) prize for hitting three FF crew in a behold. Something substantial like a x5 honor for a bepurple and x10 for a begold. And if it came in a 10-pack, stack all multipliers earned and apply to every dismissed crew from the pack.

^I REALLY like this idea.

Another idea would be a citation option *only* if you have an all FF behold. While this may not work for purples (though I'd personally love it) it should definitely be an option if you roll an all FF begold.
  • Options

^I REALLY like this idea.

Another idea would be a citation option *only* if you have an all FF behold. While this may not work for purples (though I'd personally love it) it should definitely be an option if you roll an all FF begold.

I could see it working for purples too, all those weekends without community rewards, FFing the new 4* would become a whole lot easier 🖖
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    KaiRoKaiRo ✭✭✭
    I could see it working for purples too, all those weekends without community rewards, FFing the new 4* would become a whole lot easier 🖖

Exactly that may be why it's hard to do though because WRG definitely wants people to invest dil in those packs.
    "Don't try to be a great man... just be a man. Let history make its own judgments."
    -- Dr. Zefram Cochrane, around 2073
  • Options
    + 1.

This has been mentioned many times. While there are ways to see what you are putting in the replicator, it would be nice if a simpler method existed within the replication screen.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Add one more to the list! Another campaign reward wasted on an all-immortal behold. *sighs