Home The Bridge

Gauny Drops

I was having a discussion with a friend today and we compared our gauny crew drops. Turns out he was getting drops at almost twice the rate I was getting them. I have almost 14k battles with 15 drops (a shave better than 1 per 1k) with 9 of them being Armus. He has about 10k battles with 17 drops (about 1.7 drops per 1k) and his spread has been perfect (no dupes or airlock needed).

Are there tricks as to when to join a gauntlet? I basically use the first day to concentrate on streaks while day 2 is for ranking. Maybe that is a bad strategy?

Comments

• Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    The biggest thing I can think of would be the average final ranking for each of you. If he’s consistently finishing inside the top 10, I would think that the added drop chance from those rankings would be noticeable over a statistically significant data set.

I do believe there are some tricks to joining, to help skew the level of competition you’re likely to face. What they are, however, I will have to leave to others...I treat the gauntlet as a merit farm and whatever crew drop as a result are fine by me.
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other difference is wins vs rounds. If you get long streaks you'll collect crates along the way.

If on the other hand you have a couple wins, then a loss, then another couple wins, and a second loss, you'll see your round count go up but you won't collect crates from keeping your streak alive.
  • calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    I typically will get at least 1 9-streak per gauny, but will also have plenty of 6s and 3s along the way as well. And I consistently finish top 5-6, with the occasional win thrown in for fun.

I have been trying to finish in the 11-15 range recently, but that is too much juggling to be worth it, imho. I end up leaving too many battles on the table.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    My experience has probably been 60/40. 60% of my legendaries came from loot boxes, while 40% were from streaks. In the end, I know there are ways to help myself, then again, dumb luck has helped me as well. Just keep plugging away (as the OP looks to be doing)...
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I'm doing a big push in the Gauntlet right now. I had thought it was about 1 drop for 1K rounds. But I just went close to 3K rounds without a drop. I get plenty of 3 and 6 streaks, but nothing higher than a 9 streak. In the last two months, I have placed between 1st and 10th the whole time. Historically, my meager crew drops (10 drops in 19+K rounds) have come from high finishes or 3 streaks.

What I'm getting at is: some people get you-know-what'ed over by the RNG. I'm one of the royal ones. Randomness is a jerk.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s been my experience that gauntlet crew drop from top ten finishes and streaks of no more than 12.
  • Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s been my experience that gauntlet crew drop from top ten finishes and streaks of no more than 12.

Earlier this year, I had Locutus drop from a 36 streak box twice in the same week!
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭

My first Caretaker came from a 3-win streak...the first three rounds I played after he was released. My second Caretaker came off of another 3-win streak, maybe two months after the first. And one star each for Locutus and Guinan came from 9-win streaks.

I’m sure something silly like that has happened across the 12 or so copies of Armus (which became two immortalized crew and a few spacesicles) and 5-6 Red Angels that have shown up (one immortalized, dupes sent packing), though I tend to tap through my battles so quickly I really don’t pay attention like I used to. Same goes for the two other stars for Locutus that I have gotten and however many Caretakers I have airlocked since finishing him.

Anecdote though my experiences may be, I would say that a larger number of shorter streaks beats a small number of huge streaks in terms of the cumulative chance to get a special crew. That, and it’s cheaper in terms of merits for refreshes and dilithium for revived.
  • Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve had a few drops that I didn’t realize until the dyc popped up or was clearing the crew quarters in the morning.
  • RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    It happens and it is kinda depressing.

My personal example is ... since The Red Angel has been released I've picked up exactly 1 copy of her (on the second day if I recall correctly, one of the first of the fleet I'm in ... I now have fleetmates who have her easily immortalised), with a Caretaker to airlock too ... over 100s (1000s?) of rounds and plenty of top rank finishes, many long-streak lootboxes and even more short-streak boxes.

Before she was released I airlocked more than a full second copy or Armus, more than a full second copy of The Caretaker, extra copies of Bartender Guinan.
    Notably missing from the list is Locutus ... who I still only have 2/5 ... after all this time ... at the start of the year I wrote in a thread that it was my goal to immortalise him (he was 2/5 then too) ... this has been THE most depressing goal of the year by a landslide.

It is why I hate the Gauntlet ... not the fight RNG but the loot RNG. If I compare it with voyage exclusive RNG ... I've managed to immortalise all voyage exclusive crew without having to go on crazy long voyages, I think 20 hrs was my longest. But along with that RNG of getting the right dilemmas, you actually get a ton of other great things in (components, Honor, crew, chronitons etc.).

Anyway, it just is ... and boy do I hate it.
  • PavelHPavelH ✭✭✭
    In my experience 70% of drops come from streaks and 30% of final place finishes. I usually finish the gauntlet, go to sleep and then join the new gauntlet 6-8 hours after it begins and I have the best results then. Also RNG on what drops is huge - I have had 8 Caretakers (all of them during the Armus gauntlets), 6 Armuses, 4 Guinans, 4 Locutus and 5 Red Angels. You just gotta grind it - it's 0 effort with huge upsides.
  • I've been playing the gauntlet for just over a year. In my experience the only way to reliably get crew drops is from Gauntlet Vaults, which you can only get from top 10 finishes as far as I know. They seem to have around a 1% crew drop rate. If you regularly finish top 5 you will get a crew drop every 6 weeks on average. I've opened 700-800 gauntlet vaults and received 9 drops. I've opened around 2,000 non-vault crates and have 1 crew drop from them.