Home The Bridge
Options

Aww, was anyone else hoping for the NCC-1031-A in this week's skirmish?

GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2020 in The Bridge
I was.
ym8d4ldoerhp.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Same here. Much prefer that ship to the I.S.S. Discovery.
  • Options
    I’m happy about ISS Disco, but would still want the refitted Disco in the future 🖖
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror Universe ship fits the theme, as well though.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Mirror Universe ship fits the theme, as well though.

Didn't require a new model either ;)
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there a Voyager J also.
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    We knew it was going to be the ISS Discovery a couple of weeks ago, it was revealed in game.

I am hoping that we get the refitted Discovery in the future though. Maybe February's mega? Athough I'm still hoping for a DS9 mega, it's been more than two years since the last one.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Why does a refit have a new ship registration letter? Refit means same ship, same ID. If you fix your phone's screen they don't give it a new serial number. Why would there be a second ship needing an A? Why would you put a new ship designation on an old ship? This makes no sense other than thinking it looks cool.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exanimus wrote: »
    Why does a refit have a new ship registration letter? Refit means same ship, same ID. If you fix your phone's screen they don't give it a new serial number. Why would there be a second ship needing an A? Why would you put a new ship designation on an old ship? This makes no sense other than thinking it looks cool.

Because that's what the producers decided. Could be all sorts of possible reasons, including thinking it looks cool. As far as I know, it hasn't been specifically explained as yet.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Don't listen to any answer that attempts to make sense of it. The truth is that the people writing Star Trek right now neither understand nor care about Star Trek. They just know there were Enterprises with letters, and they were like - ooh, we're so clever!
  • Options
    We'll get Refit Discovery & Voyager J...in the Picard Mega. :D
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

I wondered the same thing. TMP Enterprise was still NCC-1701. NCC-1701-A did not get applied until a new Hull was renamed.
    I think there a Voyager J also.

We saw Voyager J and also the Eisenberg Class Nog!!!!!

li4y2kuyd0ud.jpeg
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options

I was thinking in the Ferengi mega.
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I missed the Eisenberg class.
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭

I was thinking in the Ferengi mega.

If we don't get the USS Nog in a Ferengi mega, I'm going to sulk!
  • Options
    IceCat wrote: »

Don't listen to any answer that attempts to make sense of it. The truth is that the people writing Star Trek right now neither understand nor care about Star Trek. They just know there were Enterprises with letters, and they were like - ooh, we're so clever!

Could you be any more cynical? When or why did it become cool to hate on anything new in Trek?

The people who are currently working on the shows right now, are under tremendous pressure from a passionate (and somewhat fanatical) audience to be true to what Trek is. I highly doubt they take that responsibility lightly.

If that were the case, why would Patrick Stewart be Executive Producer on Picard or Jonathan Frakes be directing Discovery? Or Riker, Troi, Seven and Data be making appearances?

Saying they don't understand Trek is misguided. Saying they don't care is ludicrous.

If you hate Discovery so much, or anything else recent, there are plenty of reruns of older shows to watch. No one is forcing you to watch.

The various iterations of Trek, be it in the past or future, comedic or serious, live action or animated, subscribe to the tenet of IDIC. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. It is not only the founding principle of Vulcan philosophy, but rooted in Trek itself.

Enjoy what you enjoy. But please don't prevent others from enjoying things they do as well. That attitude has no place in Trek, and if you don't believe that, you, @GhostStalker, are the one who doesn't understand Trek.

Burnham: Computer, what's my spacetime location?
    Computer: The year 3188.

This sums up most of my problems with the new writers. They think they're being clever, but they end up looking dumber when they try to sound smart. FFS, don't throw around the term spacetime location if you're just going to give a year on a planet that you aren't on.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Could you be any more cynical? When or why did it become cool to hate on anything new in Trek?

The people who are currently working on the shows right now, are under tremendous pressure from a passionate (and somewhat fanatical) audience to be true to what Trek is. I highly doubt they take that responsibility lightly.

If that were the case, why would Patrick Stewart be Executive Producer on Picard or Jonathan Frakes be directing Discovery? Or Riker, Troi, Seven and Data be making appearances?

Saying they don't understand Trek is misguided. Saying they don't care is ludicrous.

If you hate Discovery so much, or anything else recent, there are plenty of reruns of older shows to watch. No one is forcing you to watch.

The various iterations of Trek, be it in the past or future, comedic or serious, live action or animated, subscribe to the tenet of IDIC. Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations. It is not only the founding principle of Vulcan philosophy, but rooted in Trek itself.

Enjoy what you enjoy. But please don't prevent others from enjoying things they do as well. That attitude has no place in Trek, and if you don't believe that, you, @GhostStalker, are the one who doesn't understand Trek.

This sums up most of my problems with the new writers. They think they're being clever, but they end up looking dumber when they try to sound smart. FFS, don't throw around the term spacetime location if you're just going to give a year on a planet that you aren't on.

So I guess the answer to "Could you be any more cynical?" was a yes, then.

I appreciate that you don't like it - nothing is for everyone. But I'm not clear on why sh*tposting about it every opportunity you get is helpful, constructive or necessary. I'm also not clear on why you would waste your energy watching the third season premiere of a show you hate with such a passion, but how you manage your time is certainly your business.
  • Options
    robownage wrote: »

I appreciate that you don't like it - nothing is for everyone. But I'm not clear on why sh*tposting about it every opportunity you get is helpful, constructive or necessary. I'm also not clear on why you would waste your energy watching the third season premiere of a show you hate with such a passion, but how you manage your time is certainly your business.

You're right, it's getting hard to even hate watch it anymore. But it's still better than that absolute mess that was Picard.

On the other hand, I LOVED Lower Decks.
  • Options
    IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    robownage wrote: »

Cleary he's unfamiliar with the concept of a rhetorical question. He saw my question, and thought, challenge accepted :p

I will never understand people that force themselves to watch something they hate, just to complain about it. I agree it you @robownage . If he genuinely thinks they don't care, and it's that bad, why is he still watching it?
  • Options
    CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    When or why did it become cool to hate on anything new in Trek?

Certainly as early as when TNG premiered, and quite likely earlier. I edited a fan magazine for years and there were a hell of a lot of angry letters. TNG is ruining TOS’s legacy, the movies are embarrassingly bad, DS9 is too dark and isn’t real Trek, Voyager is TNG-lite (plus various unprintable misogynistic letters), Enterprise is destroying canon... Then of course Abrams’ films were in the firing line, and now it’s the new shows.

It’s an unfortunate Trek tradition; the internet has just given them a louder voice over time.

Best way to deal with the haters is to not give them the attention they crave. This forum has an ignore button, and the person you’re quoting is the sole resident of mine.
  • Options
    dext74 wrote: »
    while not specifically explained, I like the theory that to keep Discovery's time traveling a secret in light of the temporal accords, the A was added to give the outside suggestion that it is a new ship.

Like others, I wondered why a refit gained a letter. Dext's theory here makes perfect sense! Thanks for that Dext. 🙂
  • Options
    while not specifically explained, I like the theory that to keep Discovery's time traveling a secret in light of the temporal accords, the A was added to give the outside suggestion that it is a new ship.

Like others, I wondered why a refit gained a letter. Dext's theory here makes perfect sense! Thanks for that Dext. 🙂

We should not HAVE to retroactively create explanations for things that the writers do. This is how JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek AND Star Wars.
  • Options

We should not HAVE to retroactively create explanations for things that the writers do. This is how JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek AND Star Wars.

Well that's the exact explaination that I picked up directly from the episode... Possibly a mismatch with between the dialogue and the subtitles since I watch with those on...? It happens.
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭

It was in fact explained in the show. Because the Discovery was now 900 years in the future, it was a violation of the temporal accords and the admiral hoped its refit and hull number change would hide the truth. Starfleet wants to keep the ship by pretending its a successor and not the original.
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calhoun wrote: »
    When or why did it become cool to hate on anything new in Trek?

Certainly as early as when TNG premiered, and quite likely earlier. I edited a fan magazine for years and there were a hell of a lot of angry letters. TNG is ruining TOS’s legacy, the movies are embarrassingly bad, DS9 is too dark and isn’t real Trek, Voyager is TNG-lite (plus various unprintable misogynistic letters), Enterprise is destroying canon... Then of course Abrams’ films were in the firing line, and now it’s the new shows.

It’s an unfortunate Trek tradition; the internet has just given them a louder voice over time.

Best way to deal with the haters is to not give them the attention they crave. This forum has an ignore button, and the person you’re quoting is the sole resident of mine.

That's a fair point. I appreciate your insight.

Ironically, it was TNG that first got me into Trek. Randomly came across it one day flipping through channels as a kid, not long after it debuted. I only found out how much people were dumping on it because it wasn't TOS Part 2 long after the fact. I'm glad, because if I had, and had listened to the unfounded complaints, I would have never discovered a series I've grown to love. In both TNG and Trek as a whole.

I think this is the reason all the angry criticism bothers me so much. Who knows if someone else is new to Trek and all the angry hate scares them off from something they may have really loved and enjoyed. That would be a real shame, wouldn't it?