Home The Bridge
Options

Convergence Day Speculation

EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
As I like to say while playing Among Us: we have come to the point of wild speculation. :D

So let the wild speculation about Convergence Day begin! There are a couple of things that have become standard for CD: a new crew member, a new yearly avatar, and a theme.

New Crew Member
Let's start with the new crew member. The past crew have been Convergence Day Quark (2017), Mariachi Q (2018), Seven in Silver (2019), and Bones McCoy (2020). Given that history, an STT originals and then 3 specific variants, I think what ties them together is that the CD crew will be a surprise. Here are my ideas (spoilers where necessary for latest season of DISCO):
  • George & Gracie (Not a spoiler but given that the DISCO writers very much teased me for a moment that the whales from ST: IV were the villains of Se 3, I'd take this as an acceptable repayment. :D )
  • God of Sha Ka Ree
  • First Officer Shelby
  • Tortured (ie: Four Lights) Picard
  • Prophet Sisko
  • Captain Ransom
  • Major Hayes
  • Beckett Mariner
  • Maquis Thomas Riker
  • Sutra (the third version of Soji/Dahj)
  • Carl (Given the significance of the Portal in game, he has GOT to be added soon. Great episode, BTW.)
  • Captain Saru - ***This is my guess. Most recognizable/unique character of DISCO and the newest ST captain.***
  • First Officer Tilly

What's your idea?

Anniversary Avatar

The anniversary avatars have been: Alfa 177 canine (ie: the funny TOS space dog) (first year; 2017), Targ (second year; 2018), Spot (third year; 2019), and Livingstone (ie: Picard's fish) (fourth year; 2020). It seems they are sticking with a pets of ST theme here. The obvious guess right now is Grudge, the DISCO cat. But let's add some other ideas (the funnier the better):
  • George and Gracie (yes, again; what can I say, I like whales)
  • Porthos
  • Tribble
  • Odo in his bucket (not a pet but a fun idea)
  • Number One
  • Badgey
  • Peanut Hamper
  • Exocomp

Thoughts?

Theme

This has been off and on, if I'm remembering correctly. In 2019, we got a fun Borg two-parter mini-Mega, which was because the version of the game being released was 7.9 (get it!). Last year was celebrating the 100th birthday of DeForest Kelley and we got temp achievements to earn more stars for him (which was awesome). Can anyone remind us what the theme of the previous years were?

I know some people have been throwing around 5th anniversary theme ideas, but let's hear them here. This is also something that can be a random surprise, but it's fun to speculate. Maybe a theme of all the God-like aliens of ST and how they are messing with or taking advantage of the temporal anomaly? Hopefully we'll get another multi-part mini-Mega; it just added to the sense that CD is a big deal. This really could be anything, so ideas away!

Last thing: I know there are a lot of frustrations about the Adira Tal art switch and a lack of big holiday offers/giveaways. Since there are threads for those issues, and they are being discussed at length, could we keep this thread as much on CD as possible? I know I would appreciate it, so thanks in advance! :)
Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)

Comments

• Options
    I'm speculating. Hmmmmmmm, more disappointment. But heck! I can't help but still llove the game.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Star Trek originally had a 5-year mission, so I expect that to work its way into the (5th anniversary of the game. Carl works, linking original series to more recent (and still active) series.
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    EnderW wrote: »

New Crew Member
    Let's start with the new crew member. The past crew have been Convergence Day Quark (2017), Mariachi Q (2018), Seven in Silver (2019), and Bones McCoy (2020). Given that history, an STT originals and then 3 specific variants, I think what ties them together is that the CD crew will be a surprise. Here are my ideas (spoilers where necessary for latest season of DISCO):
    • George & Gracie (Not a spoiler but given that the DISCO writers very much teased me for a moment that the whales from ST: IV were the villains of Se 3, I'd take this as an acceptable repayment. :D )
    • God of Sha Ka Ree
    • First Officer Shelby
    • Prophet Sisko
    • Captain Ransom
    • Major Hayes
    • Beckett Mariner
    • Maquis Thomas Riker
    • Carl (Given the significance of the Portal in game, he has GOT to be added soon. Great episode, BTW.)
    • Captain Saru - ***This is my guess. Most recognizable/unique character of DISCO and the newest ST captain.***
    • First Officer Tilly

I guess that the new crew member (if there will be one) will be a version of a main cast character or at least of a recurring. And that it will be a happy/festive or at least neutral version of the character. So I agree that your main guess could very possibly be it :)
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm...I like speculation. It flexes the brain.
    New Crew
    If they cycle through the series without repeating, they need to either do Disco or Enterprise. Picard or LD is a possibility, even TAS, but those first two are the front runners.
    Disco- I hate to say it, but it makes sense and my mom agrees with the logic. Adira Tal with the towel art. Think about it. The point where all those lives converge for Convergence Day would be very symbolic. It would also account for why the art was ready the same time roughly as the other and why they are being hush hush about the release. They only denied the pack idea. They could have just said she was for a future event. If she's not in a pack or for an event, she's for something else.
    Enterprise is having it's birthday in September and will be 20. I think a mega later on is more likely. If they go this route, I would lean towards a crew like Carpenter Street Archer or Columbia Trip. Maybe Mother T'Pol with her IDIC.
    The outside options would be Aging Data from Picard or to introduce LD with Beckett Mariner.

New Avatar
    I like the idea of Grudge, since I am a cat person, but Janeway's dog, Molly, would add Voyager.
    Irish Setter Crusher would be hilarious though.

Theme
    Fifth Anniversary- I have to go for the five year mission. Plus, the original series will be 55. The five theme is too good to pass up.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I’d like to see some movie characters added.
    • Captain Winfield of the Reliant.
    • Lieutenant Saavik but the Robin Curtis variant. I can’t believe we only have one Saavik in the game.
    • Federation President and Klingon Ambassador Kamarag from Voyage Home.
    • Romulan Ambassador Nanclus from Undiscovered Country.
    • Klingon Chancellor Azetbur, daughter of Gorkon from Undiscovered Country.
    • Human Lt. Hawk from First Contact.
    • EV Suit Picard from First Contact.
  • Options
    @Legate Damar love your list and totally agree with you!!
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    Legate Damar Legate Damar ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot Cadet Picard aka Tom Hardy, we’ve already seen his art in the game.
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has a Sehlat (Spock's childhood pet) ever made a cannon appearance? If so, I'll suggest it as an anniversary avatar option.

For crew, Mirror Culber or Cadet Picard seem like good bets since they have made recent text/art cameos in the game. In that pair, I'd lean toward Culber to capitalize on current show production (perhaps also to tie into a player-recruitment marketing campaign; ahem, TP, this is the kind of thing you need to do to expand the playerbase). I know the G&G whales are popular requests in forum threads but I wonder if they would be used as the next fusion card instead?

Spent part of the holiday re-reading "Memory Prime", which features Mira Romaine a few years after the Memory Alpha / Zetarian incident, so I'll put her up as a potential crew candidate as well. (We have the Memory Alpha planet in-game after all.)

Theme - I won't even hazard a guess.
  • Options
    I-Chaya was in the Animated Series directly, plus a wild one chased Archer and T'Pol in the Krishara arc during Enterprise's fourth season. T'Pol admits to also having had a domesticated (slightly smaller) one as a pet. "You have Porthos!" I would love a sehlat.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @W.W. Carlisle. I've almost finished my 2nd pass through DS9. I really need to watch Enterprise next - as much as I enjoy Scott Bakula as an actor, I was burned out on ST when ENT came along and I've never gone back to watch it. (I can hear the gasps from our devoted ENT fans now.)
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    I-Chaya was in the Animated Series directly, plus a wild one chased Archer and T'Pol in the Krishara arc during Enterprise's fourth season. T'Pol admits to also having had a domesticated (slightly smaller) one as a pet. "You have Porthos!" I would love a sehlat.

Was Spock's in Disco Season Two? In the flashbacks? I can't remember. However, TAS is game canon....

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Category:Star_Trek:_The_Animated_Series

Seven characters already. If the Wiki is current. I don't think there is a new one that is super-recent.....

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏻🖖🏼🖖
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll add Guinan as a bartender to host the celebrations.

My money is on Grudge for the avatar.

I can George and Gracie showing up somehow, but I'm wondering if they end up in the honor hall or Voyages instead.

Maybe they get to be the reward in the long rumored mini event.
  • Options
    robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

Was Spock's in Disco Season Two? In the flashbacks? I can't remember. However, TAS is game canon....

https://stt.wiki/wiki/Category:Star_Trek:_The_Animated_Series

Seven characters already. If the Wiki is current. I don't think there is a new one that is super-recent.....

🖖🏿🖖🏾🖖🏽🖖🏻🖖🏼🖖

It's missing Em/3/Green, at the very least, but your point still stands. The Sehlat definitely appeared in TAS, but I suspect they would go off its appearance in ENT.
  • Options
    @Ishmael Marx Enterprise is a favorite. It was on while I was in college and I used to co-op the big screen down stairs to watch it. It really didn't get used a lot and if you asked for the remote at the desk, you usually got it. There were about fifteen regular comers by the end of the semester. Word got around on campus that you could watch Enterprise weekly on a big TV if you came over to Johnson A complex. I'm having the same problem getting into Disco.
    @DScottHewitt I haven't seen Disco 2, but there is no mention of Disco on the Memory Prime page for sehlats. (I build models and am seriously considering crafting a sehlat to got with a vinyl 12' Spock I have to build and paint. I have the page bookmarked. TAS: "Yesteryear" and Enterprise: "The Forge" are their only onscreen appearances.)
    Eight characters for TAS actually. They show only seven, but list Em-3-Green from the recent Tuesday pack.
  • Options
    I won't speculate on character, though I really like your idea of Major Hayes.

Grudge would be my guess for avatar. Though Spot has already claimed the feline 'spot', so if they want to keep it diversified, I would nominate Leonard, Zimmerman's iguana, as a contender.

As far as theme, I can think of none better than Year of Hell! Yes, we already had a mega event centered around it, but there's never been a more fitting theme for what we've all been put through! And celebrating the end of 2020 by putting that chapter behind us would certainly be welcome!
  • Options
    I'm hoping for an honor sale. I won't be upset if we don't get one, but I will be a little disappointed.
    It seems they are sticking with a pets of ST theme here. The obvious guess right now is Grudge, the DISCO cat.
    I seriously doubt Grudge can be shrunk down enough to fit into the avatar spot!
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Star Trek originally had a 5-year mission, so I expect that to work its way into the (5th anniversary of the game. Carl works, linking original series to more recent (and still active) series.

TOS does fit well. Although Bones was last year, Spock was recently a recurring Mega, and Kirk was in the special holiday campaign. So if we do get a TOS character, I'm hoping it's one of the other characters, like Sulu or Uhura.

Carl would be magnificent.

I really enjoyed the special achievements so we could get the crew to 4/5. It was a lot of fun, and really made the crew stand out. I don't know if I've ever used Seven in Silver outside of a Seven event.
    I really need to watch Enterprise next - as much as I enjoy Scott Bakula as an actor, I was burned out on ST when ENT came along and I've never gone back to watch it. (I can hear the gasps from our devoted ENT fans now.)
    Eh, neither of us are terribly surprised. ;)

There are some great moments in ENT, but it's reputation isn't undeserved.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    AdmiralMemoAdmiralMemo ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Tribble avatar is already in the game as the reward for linking your DB forum account (note: not this forum, the WRG forum) to your game account, so that can't be the reward.
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Mardi gras Archer? TL OG (NCIS)

Or

Sam Beckett leaps into the body of Scott Bakula to put right something that is wrong as Jonathan Archer...maybe that works better as a lead in to a rerun or a flashback...
  • Options
    Wouldn't surprise me the least bit. I figured she might have been meant as the freebie anyway.
  • Options
    As I like to say while playing Among Us: we have come to the point of wild speculation. :D

So let the wild speculation about Convergence Day begin! There are a couple of things that have become standard for CD: a new crew member, a new yearly avatar, and a theme.

New Crew Member
    • God of Sha Ka Ree
    • First Officer Shelby
    • Prophet Sisko
    • Captain Ransom
    • Major Hayes
    • Beckett Mariner
    • Maquis Thomas Riker
    • First Officer Tilly

What's your idea?

Anniversary Avatar

The anniversary avatars have been: Alfa 177 canine (ie: the funny TOS space dog) (first year; 2017), Targ (second year; 2018), Spot (third year; 2019), and Livingstone (ie: Picard's fish) (fourth year; 2020). It seems they are sticking with a pets of ST theme here. The obvious guess right now is Grudge, the DISCO cat. But let's add some other ideas (the funnier the better):
    • George and Gracie (yes, again; what can I say, I like whales)
    • Porthos
    • Tribble
    • Odo in his bucket (not a pet but a fun idea)
    • Number One
    • Badgey
    • Peanut Hamper
    • Exocomp

Thoughts?

Theme

This has been off and on, if I'm remembering correctly. In 2019, we got a fun Borg two-parter mini-Mega, which was because the version of the game being released was 7.9 (get it!). Last year was celebrating the 100th birthday of DeForest Kelley and we got temp achievements to earn more stars for him (which was awesome). Can anyone remind us what the theme of the previous years were?

I know some people have been throwing around 5th anniversary theme ideas, but let's hear them here. This is also something that can be a random surprise, but it's fun to speculate. Maybe a theme of all the God-like aliens of ST and how they are messing with or taking advantage of the temporal anomaly? Hopefully we'll get another multi-part mini-Mega; it just added to the sense that CD is a big deal. This really could be anything, so ideas away!

Last thing: I know there are a lot of frustrations about the Adira Tal art switch and a lack of big holiday offers/giveaways. Since there are threads for those issues, and they are being discussed at length, could we keep this thread as much on CD as possible? I know I would appreciate it, so thanks in advance! :)

Val.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    These all look awesome! But a thought just came to me: what if they did a month of repeats of all the CD day events? Not sure if that would be good or not. But I’m definitely liking how they are starting this month off! :)
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    Oooh..it would be interesting. A new one for the fifth anniversary and a couple reruns... I'd bite.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    These all look awesome! But a thought just came to me: what if they did a month of repeats of all the CD day events? Not sure if that would be good or not. But I’m definitely liking how they are starting this month off! :)

I was thinking that. But we're getting a new 5*, so next week looks like a new event. If we had Mariachi Q as the rank reward then they could be doing that. Also, it looks like 2019 and 2020 didn't have Convergence Day events. The celebrations were outside of the normal event structure.
  • Options
    Maybe then we will have the Mariachi Q event as the rerun before the Feb. Mega and some interesting Eve or a mini mega between. Wasn't there a two event Borg thing at some point? I wasn't playing yet.
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    I predict there will be Kevin Uxbridge in an event. :p
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Webberoni wrote: »

Haven't thought about TOS starting theme, but that is a great idea! 5 is a nice number of years to have the game been running for, so why not this year make it a much more special crew gift!