Home The Bridge

[No Spoilers] The game spoiling the show

I'm completely up to date on the current season of Discovery, and yet I've recently felt that STT has sometimes been ahead of me. There were several instances in the last mega event of story elements and characters appearing in-game less than a week after being on-screen, sometimes even before being on TV thanks to the event preview forum threads.

I know there are many players who have chosen not to watch the new Star Trek shows as soon as they air, and as such have elected to run the gauntlet of potential spoilers in the meantime. In this day and age of delayed viewing and streaming, it's becoming increasingly common for fans not to watch new episodes at the exact time of release but soon after when it best suits their own schedule.

When this game launched 5 years ago, there was no new Star Trek coming from CBS and the fanbase were attracted to play based on nostalgia. I understand the climate has changed (no pun intended) and it makes sound business sense to appeal to new fans of the latest series to play the game, but it's really not necessary to be so up to date that you risk spoiling your players' viewing experience

Comments

• AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm completely up to date on the current season of Discovery, and yet I've recently felt that STT has sometimes been ahead of me. There were several instances in the last mega event of story elements and characters appearing in-game less than a week after being on-screen, sometimes even before being on TV thanks to the event preview forum threads.

I know there are many players who have chosen not to watch the new Star Trek shows as soon as they air, and as such have elected to run the gauntlet of potential spoilers in the meantime. In this day and age of delayed viewing and streaming, it's becoming increasingly common for fans not to watch new episodes at the exact time of release but soon after when it best suits their own schedule.

When this game launched 5 years ago, there was no new Star Trek coming from CBS and the fanbase were attracted to play based on nostalgia. I understand the climate has changed (no pun intended) and it makes sound business sense to appeal to new fans of the latest series to play the game, but it's really not necessary to be so up to date that you risk spoiling your players' viewing experience

I can't think of anything this mega that spoiled Discovery. In general I agree that a couple days of extra time to watch is reasonable, but by the end of an event on Monday, if you haven't watched the previous episode that was available on Thursday, that's on you.
  • W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't mind and I haven't even finished the FIRST season of Discovery. When Picard was airing, I liked having the new episode the day the event started. I used to watch Picard while doing my last minute prep. It set the mood. Lower Decks did the same. Maybe if I got caught up on Discovery and was watching as it ran, I would be more keyed up.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

I watch Disco as it becomes available and don't recall anything being spoiled by the game. If anything, I think it's quite exciting to have characters and events referenced soon after the show.

Admittedly I don't read the event text in game, but what character has been announced in an event preview before being on TV?
  • Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the game has done a much better job in the last year or two of avoiding spoilers than in years past. I waited for Disco season 1 to finish airing before watching any episode past the pilot and Lorca’s big reveal was pretty much ruined when Captain Lorca was released in-game with the Mirror Universe trait.

WRG has been very careful with Picard and Disco season 3, sticking as much as possible to crew seen in trailers (Picard and Number One, Courier Burnham, and I think Booker and Grudge) or just waiting to release crew until well after characters are seen in the show (Adira, Gray).
  • Calhoun wrote: »
    Admittedly I don't read the event text in game, but what character has been announced in an event preview before being on TV?

I'm going to keep this spoiler free. The plot of the mega event we completed last week featured story elements and characters introduced in the 2-part episode titled "Terra Firma Pt. 1 & 2" that aired 2 and 3 weeks ago. Also, one of the events was announced to include a featured event crew before their unexpected reappearance onscreen.

I know it hinders the discussion to omit specific details, but it would be hypocritical of me to criticise the game for doing something I go on to do myself
  • I'm completely up to date on the current season of Discovery, and yet I've recently felt that STT has sometimes been ahead of me. There were several instances in the last mega event of story elements and characters appearing in-game less than a week after being on-screen, sometimes even before being on TV thanks to the event preview forum threads.

I have a feeling this will be very unpopular, but I wish TP would have waited until S3 was over before introducing any new S3 characters. But as we all know, this is all about money and the sooner they can cash in, the better. Oh well just my 2 quatloos.... :)

I'm up to date with the show and I agree
  • AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Calhoun wrote: »

I'm going to keep this spoiler free. The plot of the mega event we completed last week featured story elements and characters introduced in the 2-part episode titled "Terra Firma Pt. 1 & 2" that aired 2 and 3 weeks ago. Also, one of the events was announced to include a featured event crew before their unexpected reappearance onscreen.

I know it hinders the discussion to omit specific details, but it would be hypocritical of me to criticise the game for doing something I go on to do myself

I suspect this was the week 2 announcement on December 4 that referenced the bonus crew for week 3. Technically that crew didn't reappear until December 10, but this mega also featured new TOS crew. I had no reason to think the crew announced on Dec 4 would reappear and wasn't based on a previous appearance until I saw the crew on the screen.