Home The Bridge
Options

Has any thought been given to some sort of trading mechanism for characters?

2»

Comments

• Options
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    earthman34 wrote: »
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that there should be some better way to get crew members. The more crew you have, the less likely it is that a pull is going to give you someone you really need.

That actually was the whole point of honor and citations.

well....those need a good revamping too! :tongue:
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the point I'm trying to make is that there should be some better way to get crew members. The more crew you have, the less likely it is that a pull is going to give you someone you really need.

Ditto. See the edit to my post👍

• Options

Ditto. See the edit to my post👍

🖖
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    ExanimusExanimus ✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere in the responses is the argument that tips the hand of the people who argue against a trading system. "Play balance." Lets face it, this game is not "balanced." While some one can occasionally disrupt things with a long horded splurge, this game is heavily tilted in favour of spenders. That's not an attack, winge, or whatever, it's what it is. That is the balance.

Would the game loose money with a trade system? I can practically guarantee it would make more money. The problem is, it will do it by placing a heavier demand on the spending part of the community.

Assuming a very tight system. Like rarity for like, once a week/month, trade tickets from the honour hall or with dilithium. The requirements remove almost any potential for abuse. Granted that FF SR cards would be slightly easier to accomplish. The result of this is simply increased ability to compete. If everyone had a deeper fridge to draw from there would be increased competition for rank. Which would require those willing to spend to spend more. I've had various debates with people and every so often they simply flatly admit they simply don't want more rank competition. Again, thats not an insult, it's a valid and rational position. I'm simply acknowledging it.

From some arguements you almost get the impression trading would eliminate the need to pull cards. The exact opposite is true. We aren't talking about a giving system, it's a trading system.

Trading with an alt doesn't eliminate the basic requirement for having a gold to trade. First off the alt needs to aquire the gold you want. That means collecting portal pulls and luck. If you play both accounts in an event, you would need to rank on both accounts to have a copy to trade from the alt. If everyone with an alt is doing the same, they will all be pushing rank up and making it harder on themselves. The primary still needs a gold to trade with which requires pulling a portal gold they don't want to keep, that means more spending. The ability to trade will increase the competition for rank Golds. More players will be going after them if only to trade them for cards they want. Once again, this will increase the demands on the bank accounts of players who spend the most.

If you are purchasing limited offers, the primary still needs a card to trade with. All of which would result in a double purchase of the offer and either portal pulls for a random gold to trade (more spending) or pushing for rank in an event to pick up a gold there that you might not be interested in (with increases competition and spending).

The net change to game would be potentially better flexibility in crew slots. Rather than airlocking cards you don't have space for or don't want, they could more easily be FF. This would only result in more players having a deeper pool of trait relevant cards for events. And even then this would largely only effect factions. This would make the game more competitive and increase the demand to spend to win. A very tight system that limits trade to rarity equality, single stars with no XP or equipment, and low frequency, would beyond doubt actually make the game more money. But it would do so by increasing the demand for rank. It would likely put pressure on existing spenders to spend more rather than dramaticly increasing the pool of spending.

That is the "balance" people want to protect. Existing spenders would prefer the demand on spending fell to people pulling from the portal and offers rather than increasing the rank competition. This is why their arguments are framed only on the possibility of lost portal pull income. Even so, a requirement of equal trade potentially increases the need to pull spare Golds to be traded.

I'm not attacking or insulting players who don't want to see the rank demands and competition go up. It's rational and understandable. But I find it impossible to believe a trading system would result in lost income for TP as a result.
  • Options
    Good afternoon Captains and Admirals,
    I don't know if this is appropriate, re-opening old discussions or whether I should start a new one but I am firmly convinced that now, after more than 18 months, some consideration needs be given to the matter of the "Marketplace" and "Trading" within the game structure.

As with many other players in the past I would like to see the matter of "excess unwanted schematics" and "trading multiple characters" being addressed again.

A good example, to my mind, would be trading ship upgrade schematics (an agreed quantity with another player) in return for a "fusable" character upgrade or some such thing.

Indeed, as in the past with other players, I must have flushed a hundred characters out of the airlock this past week alone. I've given up counting how many times I've "spaced" Ferengi, Neelix, Tom Paris, Stamets etc.

I was under the impression that the game "worked with your style of play" - pretty darn sure I read that someplace, if that is indeed the case why is it continuously giving schematics for Non-Starfleet ships (which I have been continually feeding the replicator with) and dropping the same characters over and over again from "Voyages"?

Perhaps Shan (The Mighty) could drop by and give us some insight... and maybe hope??? Please.... :)
    Live Long and Prosper.
    Cheers,
    T
    “Those who dream by day are cognisant of many things which escape those who dream only by night"~ E.A. Poe
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if this is appropriate, re-opening old discussions or whether I should start a new one but I am firmly convinced that now, after more than 18 months, some consideration needs be given to the matter of the "Marketplace" and "Trading" within the game structure.

As with many other players in the past I would like to see the matter of "excess unwanted schematics" and "trading multiple characters" being addressed again.

A good example, to my mind, would be trading ship upgrade schematics (an agreed quantity with another player) in return for a "fusable" character upgrade or some such thing.

Indeed, as in the past with other players, I must have flushed a hundred characters out of the airlock this past week alone. I've given up counting how many times I've "spaced" Ferengi, Neelix, Tom Paris, Stamets etc.

I was under the impression that the game "worked with your style of play" - pretty darn sure I read that someplace, if that is indeed the case why is it continuously giving schematics for Non-Starfleet ships (which I have been continually feeding the replicator with) and dropping the same characters over and over again from "Voyages"?

Perhaps Shan (The Mighty) could drop by and give us some insight... and maybe hope??? Please.... :)
    Live Long and Prosper.
    Cheers,
    T

Without cutting into WRG's profit, it is very doubtful they would go beyond with what they have already done with the Celestial Market and Crew Retrieval.
  • Options
    Use ship schematics as replicator fuel

It will never work because it would definitely favour those who spend massively IMO
  • Options

Live Long and Prosper.
    Cheers,
    T

Without cutting into WRG's profit, it is very doubtful they would go beyond with what they have already done with the Celestial Market and Crew Retrieval.

It's not just cutting into profit - it's fundamentally incompatible with this kind of gacha / character collecting game. I genuinely don't know how you could do it without redoing the entire game economy
  • Options
    imdwalrus wrote: »

Live Long and Prosper.
    Cheers,
    T

It's not just cutting into profit - it's fundamentally incompatible with this kind of gacha / character collecting game. I genuinely don't know how you could do it without redoing the entire game economy

There would just need to be a “transfer fee”, like 100,000 honor that is payable by one or both parties, in a negotiated amount.

So if one party is getting gary seven, and the other party is getting the one, lore,,,, they can pay 20,000 and 80,000 honor, respectively, for the trade. Or something along those lines
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

Live Long and Prosper.
    Cheers,
    T

There would just need to be a “transfer fee”, like 100,000 honor that is payable by one or both parties, in a negotiated amount.

So if one party is getting gary seven, and the other party is getting the one, lore,,,, they can pay 20,000 and 80,000 honor, respectively, for the trade. Or something along those lines

And between citations and crew retrieval there would be no point in any of that.
  • Options
    For me, Crew Retrieval is a much better system than character trades. It also avoids so many of the problems that can occur with a trading system, and would complicate developing one.

There are some characters who are hard to retrieve, but often they'd be hard to trade for as well. It took me 10 attempts to get Mobile Doctor, but I doubt there are a lot of extras of that card about.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Good evening Captains and Admirals,
    Thank you for the insights. I believe that such a system could be integrated into the game, however, as imdwalrus mentioned, "it's fundamentally incompatible with this kind of gacha / character collecting game. I genuinely don't know how you could do it without redoing the entire game economy"

Perhaps, in lieu of a "character trading" system there could be a more accessible, less costly, method of using the Crew Retrieval to allow for the development of crew from the beginnings of the game? Surely it would be less impactful doing that than having to implement new game mechanics/economics to accommodate a complete game-structure change?

Jus' thinkin' out loud...
    Cheers,
    T.
    “Those who dream by day are cognisant of many things which escape those who dream only by night"~ E.A. Poe
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    F
    AviTrek wrote: »

Live Long and Prosper.
    Cheers,
    T

And between citations and crew retrieval there would be no point in any of that.

Maybe, but there COULD be a way to do it, mr. Contrarion.

The beauty of the Forums is that we can disagree. Players have already been given alternatives to get and bolster sought after crew. With updates, more and more cards will be available in crew retrieval. While I am not in favor of a character trading system, we’ll see what WRG does…
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Good evening Captains and Admirals,
    Thank you for the insights. I believe that such a system could be integrated into the game, however, as imdwalrus mentioned, "it's fundamentally incompatible with this kind of gacha / character collecting game. I genuinely don't know how you could do it without redoing the entire game economy"

Perhaps, in lieu of a "character trading" system there could be a more accessible, less costly, method of using the Crew Retrieval to allow for the development of crew from the beginnings of the game? Surely it would be less impactful doing that than having to implement new game mechanics/economics to accommodate a complete game-structure change?

Jus' thinkin' out loud...
    Cheers,
    T.

I'll keep on saying it: the game is just Voyage based now.

You can bet there will be a new top 10 Voyager every month
    Heck, we had 2 last week

Used to bee a time when the #1 spot was held for a long time. You never know when it gonna change now
  • Options
    I think the key is to gradually reduce the cost of citations and beholds. There's a reason we all hoard honor for the honor sales. The cost in between is ridiculously high.

If there honor from all immortal beholds (my bigger pet peeve) were more generous, or the honor costs lower, I'd be less upset with wasted beholds.

But alas, everywhere I look, there's another thing that makes the game less fun and more expensive, and WRG ignores our complaints and requests in order to give us something else no one asked for.
  • Options
    Kim_Novak.IIKim_Novak.II ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Between one OE giving 4* cites and another OE giving enough quantum for nearly 2 5* retrievals, I feel like crew are even easier to get/fuse now than at any point in the game. It may not be the system players asked for, but they've certainly made it easier to get and fuse crew.

I say have a retro/throwback month where there are no warps, autos or speed ups allowed.
    Back like it was in ye beginning - apart for scanning for missions & waiting days/weeks for the necessary equipment to be made available!

Nothing beats skirmish for fun without auto & speedup! 🤗🤗🤗

Then complain about how hard the game is/was
  • Options
    The thing is, the game has changed. When there were only 50-100 gold crew, the honor trade-in numbers made more sense. You didn't want people collecting all the crew in week 1 and quitting. Now that there are over a thousand crew in the game, the opposite problem is true. Most people can't even get close to collecting the crew they want, much less all the crew in the game.

I get that the wanting is superior to the having, but it still seems like making it slightly easier to have a bit more might also increase the wanting, and therefore the purchasing.
  • Options
    Princess_UhuraPrincess_Uhura ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Between one OE giving 4* cites and another OE giving enough quantum for nearly 2 5* retrievals, I feel like crew are even easier to get/fuse now than at any point in the game. It may not be the system players asked for, but they've certainly made it easier to get and fuse crew.

I say have a retro/throwback month where there are no warps, autos or speed ups allowed.
    Back like it was in ye beginning - apart for scanning for missions & waiting days/weeks for the necessary equipment to be made available!

This sounds similar to a grandpa saying “i walked 8 miles to school barefoot in the snow”

We should all be aiming for constant improvement instead of arbitrarily holding onto some past struggle and saying “thats how hard it used to be so stop whining”

Which is something ive regularly seen people do on these forums.

• Options
    edited December 2022

This sounds similar to a grandpa saying “i walked 8 miles to school barefoot in the snow”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Tom_Moore

And yes I had to Google your analogy

• Options

We should all be aiming for constant improvement instead of arbitrarily holding onto some past struggle and saying “thats how hard it used to be so stop whining”

It is a card collecting game with advantages assigned to various crew members. We already have a way to get sought after crew, which is not immediate with newer crew (we’d need to wait for updates and crew to be added to portals). IMHO, it should be a challenge to get the crew, and a trading system circumvents that challenge (especially when we already have crew retrieval). Just my two cents.

LLAP 🖖

11s8zv9k1kne.jpeg

• Options

We should all be aiming for constant improvement instead of arbitrarily holding onto some past struggle and saying “thats how hard it used to be so stop whining

Sorry, I had to triple check who actually posted this 😄😘

Your last three posts are hardly adding anything to the conversation.

Im not sure how others feel, but i would prefer that you just ignore me rather than filling these threads with obvious attempts to de-rail the conversation.
  • Options

We should all be aiming for constant improvement instead of arbitrarily holding onto some past struggle and saying “thats how hard it used to be so stop whining

Im not sure how others feel, but i would prefer that you just ignore me rather than filling these threads with obvious attempts to de-rail the conversation.

I learn from the best...
  • Options
    edited December 2022

I just have the opinion that in a game you should work your way through it, not expect so much to be handed to you for free/a slight cost instead. We already get a lot of freebies but no matter what, there will always be complaining

If you lose a hand in poker, do you get a second chance?
  • Options

I just have the opinion that in a game you should work your way through it, not expect so much to be handed to you for free/a slight cost instead. We already get a lot of freebies but no matter what, there will always be complaining

If you lose a hand in poker, do you get a second chance?

If i lose a hand in poker because the dealer showed my hole cards to the other players, the dealer is going to lose his job.

Similarly, when the game makers are putting us at an obvious, and unnecessary disadvantage seemingly for the purpose of increased revenue, i frown on that.

If you like being taken advantage of, good for you. Im just putting some ideas out there that would make the situation better.