Home The Bridge
Options

The Voyage Project (Part 2) (Sort of)

2»

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    That part where you mentioned the good RNG at the end... if you don't have crew with high enough max proficiency, then you won't be able to make those checks at the end regardless of RNG. That's why I mentioned the special staffing thing. There's a difference (though subtle) between maximizing for the longest likely voyage and the most potential to hit 12 hours. That's why I say it would need to be more nuanced than what you described. Though I certainly thank you for the explanation! That was some insight that I needed. :)

That's exactly what I wanted. Let you pick between longest average length, longest likely length(TBD define likely), or highest chance of hitting X hours. All datacore needs to do is give you that option and change what it optimizes for. The question of high/low proficiency and higher stats vs trait matches will be handled automatically as it tries to pick the best crew given what you are targeting.
  • Options
    DragenDragen ✭✭✭
    great work and thanks for sharing this! Excellent write up as well.

What I really like about this, is that it adds an extra element of gameplay to the game. A more tactical element where you have to consider what risk you want to take and what goal you want to achieve.
    To the developers I would suggest to share these mechanisms as it would be an easy way to make the game more interesting.

@Bylo Band you suggest to avoid crew with a wide proficiency range for a more reliable outcome. But if I understand it well, you should target crew with the highest minimum score (i.e. base + min prof.). As that is what determines your ‘guaranteed‘ outcome.
    More specific, a crew with a high minimum and a wide proficiency on top of that (like Braxton) is still better than a crew with a lower minimum and a narrower proficiency range.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragen wrote: »
    @Bylo Band you suggest to avoid crew with a wide proficiency range for a more reliable outcome. But if I understand it well, you should target crew with the highest minimum score (i.e. base + min prof.). As that is what determines your ‘guaranteed‘ outcome.
    More specific, a crew with a high minimum and a wide proficiency on top of that (like Braxton) is still better than a crew with a lower minimum and a narrower proficiency range.

This is undoubtedly true. I am fortunate that I was in a position bench crew such as him to test this out on my own by chasing 10 hour voyages and still have reserves strong enough to get the job done.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I have to add when you fail a hazard you lose 30 AM. if you succceed you get 5 AM. The heavy weighting for failing will mean there is more cost to having a wider Range because of proficiency . So it is not an even one to one exchange. I would say the base stat is 5% more important than the proficiency average. But this is just my opinion. Trying to calculate this really is dependent upon the crew and voyage choices.

But this weighting i am talking about really is only meaningful if you do not intend to extend the voyage. If you are going to extend to the point you exceed the range of your crews proficiency, then you will get the full benefit of your crews proficiency.

Edit: with my second paragraph, it then implies the weighting should only matter to the primary and maybe the secondary skill. Depends if your voyage will exceed the range of that second skill or not.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    That part where you mentioned the good RNG at the end... if you don't have crew with high enough max proficiency, then you won't be able to make those checks at the end regardless of RNG. That's why I mentioned the special staffing thing. There's a difference (though subtle) between maximizing for the longest likely voyage and the most potential to hit 12 hours. That's why I say it would need to be more nuanced than what you described. Though I certainly thank you for the explanation! That was some insight that I needed. :)

That's exactly what I wanted. Let you pick between longest average length, longest likely length(TBD define likely), or highest chance of hitting X hours. All datacore needs to do is give you that option and change what it optimizes for. The question of high/low proficiency and higher stats vs trait matches will be handled automatically as it tries to pick the best crew given what you are targeting.

Is there a way to do that, though? Like if you put in 10 or 12 hours for desired voyage length, does it run a bunch of simulations to see what combination has the best chance to get there?
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    DragenDragen ✭✭✭
    If datacore is currently optimising for average score, all it would need is 2 additional options: 1 for optimising for minimum score (base + min prof.) and 1 for optimising for max score (base + max prof.). The latter should give you the chance of the longest voyage possible with your crew.