Home The Bridge

TP latest apology

ST_DreadnoughtST_Dreadnought ✭✭✭
edited February 2021 in The Bridge
How is TP going to apologise to the 18k players who have uninstalled the game since the ban 11/2/21?

Comments

• V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    they will all wear a hairshirt for the first week of march for daring to irritate a pod of whales,
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Maybe there will be a new ban on Nov 2, 2021 on something more egregious.
  • IceCat wrote: »
    How is TP going to apologise to the 18k players who have uninstalled the game since the ban 11/2/21?

May I ask where you are getting this information from?

Top 1% in Admiral is now 1-574 it was 1-754 only a few weeks ago. 180 less at 1% is a loss of 18k from Admiral. 1 year ago top 1% in Admiral was 1-1024 so that's 45k players less than this time last year

Top 1% in Admiral is now 1-574 it was 1-754 only a few weeks ago. 180 less at 1% is a loss of 18k from Admiral. 1 year ago top 1% in Admiral was 1-1024 so that's 45k players less than this time last year

I used to think the same, especially since Admiral 1% once flirted with 1-1400.

However, as these numbers of cratered, Commander has remained remarkably stable at around 1k for 1%.

I think there may be something to Arena as a health metric, but it could also just be that a lot of players still hate Arena.

I have not participated in Commander division in well over a year.

I am currently rank #30432 in Commander division.

I still get 3* schematics in mail every day for my ranked arena rewards.
  • yeah... the only good thing about the arena is the skip and 3x buttons...

but there is a decline of active players for sure.. not just since yesterday...and any xyz-gate is worsening the situation for sure :(

I used to think the same, especially since Admiral 1% once flirted with 1-1400.

However, as these numbers of cratered, Commander has remained remarkably stable at around 1k for 1%.

I think there may be something to Arena as a health metric, but it could also just be that a lot of players still hate Arena.

I have not participated in Commander division in well over a year.

I am currently rank #30432 in Commander division.

I still get 3* schematics in mail every day for my ranked arena rewards.

Now that's what I call a great metric!

My understanding is one becomes unranked due to inactivity only when someone defeats you.

So yeah, that's a bad sign on a number of levels.

This is the type of rigorous bad analysis that makes this place special.
  • IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceCat wrote: »

If that is how you are determining the player base (as good a measure as there is, I suspect), that I don’t think the exodus from ban-gate has shown up yet. I believe it takes approx 3 weeks of inactivity for a player to not appear as a player in the arena ranks.

The arena count does not yet show the cost of the bans.

I agree. While this may be an indication of people leaving the game, there are many other reasonable explanations as well. There also has not been enough time for people to drop out of the rankings, as @calsnowskier stated.

It is more likely a combination of reasons, including the bans, that have affected the numbers in the arena. It could be as simple as boredom with the Arena or people being busy. Or they could already have the current reward ship maxed, and don't care if they get more schematics.

I think this is a good time to point out that correlation does not equal causation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation

I understand that it seems like an accurate assumption that those numbers reflect a mass exodus from the game, especially after all the anger here. But it isn't necessarily a true reflection.

Those arena numbers are constantly fluctuating. You probably haven't noticed in the past, because you had no reason to pay attention.

Also, a lot of people who were banned that said they were quiting have since returned either as F2P, reduced spenders or have gone back to normal. That will also skew the numbers.

There will probably never be an accurate number that we as players can say for certain as to how many quit because of the ban. At this point, I think it is time to move forward. 🖖🏼
  • Thorozar Thorozar ✭✭✭✭
    A possible metric to track would be where would 350k vp in an event rank you now as opposed to weeks ago. That would catch more active players vs a once or twice a week or someone who just logs in and does all the dailies but never did much in events.
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

If that is how you are determining the player base (as good a measure as there is, I suspect), that I don’t think the exodus from ban-gate has shown up yet. I believe it takes approx 3 weeks of inactivity for a player to not appear as a player in the arena ranks.

Also, some people might not even play Arena. No way to verify a 10,000 player drop in Arena competitors means 10,000 people quit the game.......

⛔🛑👨🕦
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Ren~Ren~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still a relevant metric to gauge player activity and/or interest in the game.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s actually two weeks, according to the in-game Arena rewards message:

1n9lkadaja4e.jpeg
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭

1n9lkadaja4e.jpeg

I think the "may be" indicates it's not automatic. I've only done Admiral for quite a while, but I still get a couple of Schemes from Captain Division.....

What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    IIRC, it took about a month for me to stop receiving Captai division rewards after I stopped playing there, and what felt like 6 months for Commander division (but was probably less). In other words, there is no way to use the Arena to gauge how many people have left the game after Buttongate.
  • EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took me about a month to become unranked in the Commander's Division, though I think that ultimately had more to do with freezing my last two Rare crew and thus having nothing to man my ship. As for the Captain's Division, it's going on two month since I last played there and I'm still ranked.

In case nobody noticed, the Arena is a great place to get credits. If you can swing four or five Top spot victories in the Admiral Division in a day, that comes out to 60K or 75K credits a day (that's 15K credits per victory). It's just about the last thing making me want to play in the Arena now.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1470 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021

1n9lkadaja4e.jpeg

I think the "may be" indicates it's not automatic. I've only done Admiral for quite a while, but I still get a couple of Schemes from Captain Division.....

This is true. I have a fleetie that stopped playing Capt Div and 2 weeks later no rewards or rank. When he started again it showed him as "unranked" and after his 1st battle he was ranked just over 47,000.
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • Maybe TP would like to publish monthly Active Gamer Participation Figures, for transparency to avoid speculation? But until then tracking the top 1% in Arena is a metric to show that over 50k players less take part in Admiral Division than 1 year ago. If it was 1400 for top 1% prior then that's 83k less. Remember they stopped Game of Thrones about 1 year ago now. There is no guarantee that STT will be around in 5 years time or less. I know that I'm no whale but I have invested £1000's over the +4 years that I have been playing £5-£15 per week. For this reason alone I'm not walking away from the game,but my concern is that if player base keeps shrinking eventually TP will pull the plug.
  • ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe TP would like to publish monthly Active Gamer Participation Figures, for transparency to avoid speculation? But until then tracking the top 1% in Arena is a metric to show that over 50k players less take part in Admiral Division than 1 year ago. If it was 1400 for top 1% prior then that's 83k less. Remember they stopped Game of Thrones about 1 year ago now. There is no guarantee that STT will be around in 5 years time or less. I know that I'm no whale but I have invested £1000's over the +4 years that I have been playing £5-£15 per week. For this reason alone I'm not walking away from the game,but my concern is that if player base keeps shrinking eventually TP will pull the plug.

Year-over-year comparisons are generally a good metric, barring extraordinary circumstances such as ... a pandemic. Maybe give it another year & compare then? Just a thought.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • CalhounCalhoun ✭✭✭✭✭
    I daresay the issue would be more with spending than overall player numbers. It doesn't matter so much if players are dropping off at the fringes if the whales are still spending big. I find my event placings tend to be very consistent. I'd be more worried if I was placing a lot higher than I normally would, as that would indicate a drop-off at the top.

While it's only a tiny percentage of players, it's interesting that the Steam player numbers have actually increased in the last couple of months for the first time since April 2020.

https://steamcharts.com/app/600750
  • robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe TP would like to publish monthly Active Gamer Participation Figures, for transparency to avoid speculation? But until then tracking the top 1% in Arena is a metric to show that over 50k players less take part in Admiral Division than 1 year ago. If it was 1400 for top 1% prior then that's 83k less. Remember they stopped Game of Thrones about 1 year ago now. There is no guarantee that STT will be around in 5 years time or less. I know that I'm no whale but I have invested £1000's over the +4 years that I have been playing £5-£15 per week. For this reason alone I'm not walking away from the game,but my concern is that if player base keeps shrinking eventually TP will pull the plug.

Year-over-year comparisons are generally a good metric, barring extraordinary circumstances such as ... a pandemic. Maybe give it another year & compare then? Just a thought.

I would also point out that the fact that we're going on our third round of the exact same rewards in the arena.
  • One would need many sources of stats where the game can be played to get even close to a actual number on this .. and the only ppl who can really know are the devs who can ceep track of "last login per account" and the metrics..

That being said .. here's one such source ...
    https://steamcharts.com/app/600750 371 PEAK CONCURRENT players who started the game on PC via Steam in the last 24hrs.

And considering this is a mobile based game ... now the hunt is on for similar stats in the Google/Apple/Facebook/Amazon/Samsung and other gamestores and ways to start the game.
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://sensortower.com/ Search for Google Play and Apple separately.

This gives downloads, not necessarily new, and a revenue estimate per month. I the last 3 years it has fallen 60%, but I think it has actually risen in recent months. You can clearly see the review bombing in Feb though.

I don't have anything for Amazon, Facebook or any other proprietary store though and it should be noted that for international customers the game is significantly cheaper to play on Amazon or Facebook (around 20%).
  • ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to add that the trend for the industry has been sharply up this year, which follows years of growth in general. Even giving the game a ballpark revenue of $12m/year that's less than Star Trek Fleet Command makes on Google Play alone in 1 month.