Home The Bridge
Options

Can we get a new Expedition?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personal vote - no. Now that I have a gazillion crew, I can't stand the deep scrolling to find the fatigued event crew, or the repetitive typing in the search field for the same crew over and over again. As has been suggested by many... if they added the "favorite" flag so we could put our 5-9 (or whatever) relevant crew at the top of the list, that might make me change my mind.

Time limits on tickets??? Back in the day, each ticket lasted 1 hour. You had to be certain that when you activated it, you had enough time to finish the nodes (plus any extra small-vp grinding you wanted to do) before the time ran out. (Turn off your voice phone, disable email/text/social media notifications, send the family away, feed the pets... now you're safe to activate a ticket.) I vaguely recall a lot of angst on the old forums about that, so eventually it was changed to unlimited time.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to provide some history:

The last Expedition that was run was The Game's Afoot 3, which was in January 2020. While some (meaning me) found it to be a nice change of pace, there was a sizable amount of complaints about grinding from a significant portion of the forum community. This comment might convey that view best. I do wish Travis was still around the forums, because he probably wrote the best case for an Expedition; his insights are missed around here.

Rereading the event thread, Shan said that everyone realized it was a bad event to do as a rerun. I haven't dug much deeper in the thread but I remember getting the impression from somewhere that Expeditions would be very rare going forward (ie: once a year, if at all). Worth noting, Shan did provide clarity on how the timer and tickets would work; also, I do remember there was a search function for crew.

Before that, the last original Expedition event was a hybrid in the December 2018 Mega: Auld Lang Syne. This might have been the most acceptable way to do an Expedition, as it was paired with a Skirmish event. I remember enjoying this as it was the first time I was able to get a legendary crew from the ranked rewards (and what a crew to do it with: High Roller Sisko, who I am still using daily); the set up did allow a weaker player (me, at the time) to compete with much better equipped players by grinding VP; I finish in ~300s, which took another six months for me to do as well at. Just worth pointing out this as a possible feature of this event type.

Before that, there was the infamous three part hybrid event (also part of a Mega in 2018): The Weak Will Perish. I only vaguely remember this event, as I was only just starting to really play the game at that point. But some long time players still talk about the almost-week long event and how exhausting it was.

The only Expedition run in 2017 was Quadrilateral 2, another rerun. And in fact there have only been five original Expedition Events in 2016: The Game's Afoot, Quadrilateral, Ribbon of Joy, Holograms Are Forever, and Merry Men. IMO, these are not exciting candidates for a rerun and I think the experience with The Game's Afoot 3 soured DB to rerunning them. As well, I think the likelihood of a brand new Expedition event are very remote, even if it was a hybrid.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    edited February 2021
    EnderW wrote: »
    Just to provide some history:

The last Expedition that was run was The Game's Afoot 3, which was in January 2020. While some (meaning me) found it to be a nice change of pace, there was a sizable amount of complaints about grinding from a significant portion of the forum community. This comment might convey that view best. I do wish Travis was still around the forums, because he probably wrote the best case for an Expedition; his insights are missed around here.

Rereading the event thread, Shan said that everyone realized it was a bad event to do as a rerun. I haven't dug much deeper in the thread but I remember getting the impression from somewhere that Expeditions would be very rare going forward (ie: once a year, if at all). Worth noting, Shan did provide clarity on how the timer and tickets would work; also, I do remember there was a search function for crew.

Before that, the last original Expedition event was a hybrid in the December 2018 Mega: Auld Lang Syne. This might have been the most acceptable way to do an Expedition, as it was paired with a Skirmish event. I remember enjoying this as it was the first time I was able to get a legendary crew from the ranked rewards (and what a crew to do it with: High Roller Sisko, who I am still using daily); the set up did allow a weaker player (me, at the time) to compete with much better equipped players by grinding VP; I finish in ~300s, which took another six months for me to do as well at. Just worth pointing out this as a possible feature of this event type.

Before that, there was the infamous three part hybrid event (also part of a Mega in 2018): The Weak Will Perish. I only vaguely remember this event, as I was only just starting to really play the game at that point. But some long time players still talk about the almost-week long event and how exhausting it was.

The only Expedition run in 2017 was Quadrilateral 2, another rerun. And in fact there have only been five original Expedition Events in 2016: The Game's Afoot, Quadrilateral, Ribbon of Joy, Holograms Are Forever, and Merry Men. IMO, these are not exciting candidates for a rerun and I think the experience with The Game's Afoot 3 soured DB to rerunning them. As well, I think the likelihood of a brand new Expedition event are very remote, even if it was a hybrid.

Looks like Shan's been busy. What did you do wrong?!

I remember that event as The Week Will Perish. :lol:
  • Options
    I like expeditions but I do think the last one was a) too grindy and b) too easy. The earlier expeditions I didn't have anywhere near the depth of crew I have now so it was much more tactical.

Rather than giving us more tickets each day and handicapping those in certain time zones, why not just give everyone 12 tickets at the start of the event with 12 more in rewards. That will allow people with enough bonus crew to clear thresholds, I think, and those chasing rank can buy more for Dil. Add the ability to filter by event and bonus crew, or automatically list them at the top of the list, and I think that's a pretty reasonable compromise.

Throw in a bit of honor as well as VP and maybe people can earn a citation whilst they are at it too.
  • Options
    PavelH wrote: »
    So we've been doing the same other 3 types of events for several years in a row with no change. The last Expedition was in January 2020 so was hoping we get a weekend where we do another one. There are some people who don't like them (albeit I don't get how they're worse gameplay-wise than Galaxies but w/e) but even then, they're so rare that one weekend won't break the game.

• Options
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Then it's 4 days of doing the same thing over and over, while having to deal with the frustration of scrolling through a seemingly ever-expanding crew list. Or did they add the ability to favorite crew? I can't even remember anymore, it's been so long.

This is why I hate Expeditions. I love them - the first time through. After that they are the worst of all events. Grinding is terrible, but it is bearable when it is easy.

I don't think Expeditions work very well when the rewards are based on rank. Make one that is purely objective - if you complete it, you get the prize and that's it - and I think it's a winner. Unfortunately, every event's rewards are tied to rank, which means grinding. For Expeditions, that is terrible.

This pretty much sums it up.

I would love to see an event type that uses the game play style in the episodes/distress calls because once you've three starred all of them you pretty much never do that game play again which is a bit of a bummer. The problem is, as Traveling Man said above, is that Expeditions as currently designed aren't fun after the first run through. I think, with tweaks, it could work as a non-rank based event type, if they would even consider that.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Calhoun wrote: »
    WaldoMag wrote: »
    Webberoni wrote: »
    Then it's 4 days of doing the same thing over and over, while having to deal with the frustration of scrolling through a seemingly ever-expanding crew list. Or did they add the ability to favorite crew? I can't even remember anymore, it's been so long.

This is why I hate Expeditions. I love them - the first time through. After that they are the worst of all events. Grinding is terrible, but it is bearable when it is easy.

I don't think Expeditions work very well when the rewards are based on rank. Make one that is purely objective - if you complete it, you get the prize and that's it - and I think it's a winner. Unfortunately, every event's rewards are tied to rank, which means grinding. For Expeditions, that is terrible.

This pretty much sums it up.

I would love to see an event type that uses the game play style in the episodes/distress calls because once you've three starred all of them you pretty much never do that game play again which is a bit of a bummer. The problem is, as Traveling Man said above, is that Expeditions as currently designed aren't fun after the first run through. I think, with tweaks, it could work as a non-rank based event type, if they would even consider that.

And Galaxy, Faction, and skirmishes are fun?

They’re all mindless grinds, but Skirmishes are the least work to get to thresholds and Galaxy comes with some nice bonuses for minimal participation. Faction is just a pain.

Expeditions are at least an interesting puzzle in the early stages, and it’s nice to feel like a fair chunk of your roster is being used for once. I can see it being a grind in the later stages, but there are a few ways that can be eased.

Faction come with faction items and the components that faction drops along with credits, and if you need them trainers.

Edit: The pain is the alarm going off so you can resend the shuttles.