Home The Bridge
Options

Rarity Polestars

TP, you seriously need to look at these because a second common after another week of grinding for it has just put me off ever trying again.

Complete junk that cannot even be thrown away and feels like a slap in the face for all the grinding.

Comments

• Options
    ThurthoradThurthorad ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, they are BS RNG nonsense.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I have to agree. Earning rarity constellations does not feel rewarding. I just received two in the event and both produced uncommon polestars, which are not useful. Like the original poster, I'd prefer a better reward (including trait constellations), or at the very least a way to get rid of these useless polestars so that it might be easier to forget the huge disappointment they represent.
  • Options
    +1 on this

Please put polestars in the ranked rewards or at least remove the 1* and 2* from the rarity constellations.

I haven't opened mine yet and I don't plan to do so until I have at least 10 of them, but the rarity constellations are probably the worst part of the new feature.

Imagine if everything in the ranked rewards worked like that. Open this box: it could contain two copies of the new legendary or two copies of Chef Neelix. Rank in the top 500: you could get 125 dilithium or 125 credits.
  • Options
    Some alternatives my fleet has pondered -

1. Make a ‘reverse polarity’ function where instead of filtering TO the crew in the polestar it would filter OUT the crew of the polestar. This may also make Human and other very common or very uncommon trait polestars more helpful by taking those crew out of the retrieval.

2. Make the rarity polestars “stack” in the retrieval interface. For example using a 2* and a 3* polestar together would be the same as using a single 5* polestar. The cost would be less polestar slots to retrieve but would make the 1* thru 3* useable.

Just some thoughts.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    +1 on some modification to the current system. Received 5 rarity Constellations this event (outcome: one 5*, one 3*, and three 1*). The 3* and 1* Polestars are useless, and I don’t much care for the 5* either. I also do not have much use for the skill Polestars. While they may be useful to others, at least IMHO, I’d much rather be able to go after traits.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    I agree, however when i’m ranking it’s mainly for the 5*, everything else is just a bonus imo
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    KadavarKadavar ✭✭✭
    A legendary polestar or skill constellation would make more sense as a reward for an events hard work. IT feels like an achievement. Rarity constellations are okay for scanning.
  • Options
    Some alternatives my fleet has pondered -

1. Make a ‘reverse polarity’ function where instead of filtering TO the crew in the polestar it would filter OUT the crew of the polestar. This may also make Human and other very common or very uncommon trait polestars more helpful by taking those crew out of the retrieval.

2. Make the rarity polestars “stack” in the retrieval interface. For example using a 2* and a 3* polestar together would be the same as using a single 5* polestar. The cost would be less polestar slots to retrieve but would make the 1* thru 3* useable.

Just some thoughts.

Great ideas!
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    If there is no change then at least make rarity constellations cost less to open, maybe 300 or 200 would be the right amount.
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got super lucky and pulled 2 legendary rarity polestars from the event this week, but I agree with everyone else. The rarity constellation should either be flat replaced with a 5* polestar or with trait constellations. Even the skill constellations are meh at best. We can only spend these once every 3 weeks or so, so our inventories will be maxed in no time.
  • Options
    calsnowskiercalsnowskier ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    2 weeks in, 4 rarity constellations. 3 3* and 1 2*. Why do I bother to push? These things have no value to me. Make it something I'd actually use.

Maybe allow us to “airlock” rarity polestars for the amount of honor the rarity represents (1* = 25 honor; 2* = 50 honor; 3* = 100 honor; 4* = 200 honor; 5* = 550 honor).

At least then there is some kind of slot machine value to the whole thing...
  • Options
    SovinoxSovinox ✭✭✭
    Easiest fix is to invert constellation rewards: traits vs rarity. There would be no change for top ranks and full appreciation for lower ranks.
  • Options
    Selene 7Selene 7 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, all the ones I've gotten (except the free one) are useless
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sovinox wrote: »
    Easiest fix is to invert constellation rewards: traits vs rarity. There would be no change for top ranks and full appreciation for lower ranks.

it would be great for lower ranks, but the incentive to shoot for 250 to get the skill constellation would be gone. Push for 250 to get a rarity polestar, lol, thanks but no thanks. Really rarity constellations are quickly turning into trainers. Nice for new players but useless for experiences players.

Maybe they can keep a generic rarity constellation for lower ranks, and then for higher ranks guarantee a 5* polestar. That's at least a reason to push for the rank.

Then the issue will be the mismatch between constellations/polestars and quantum. If it takes 19 days to earn enough quantum for a 5* retrieval, a player ranking well every week could accumulate multiple 5* polestars in those 3 weeks. So now they'll have more 5* polestars than they can use.
  • Options
    I agree!! Rarity Constellations are only useful if you get the Legendary one. 4 star characters cost WAYYYY too much Quantum to be worth using to get. Also do the Skill constellations drop when you scan or are they exclusive to ranked rewards?
  • Options
     Bri Bri ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve also had 1* rarity polestars ‘rewarded’ from the last two events. For someone who has two lev99 accounts and has been playing for three years, why would a 1* Polestar star even be a thing? Same applies to anything below 4* IMO, although even a 4* would be pretty much useless.
  • Options
    Got a rare and legendary from the two constellations from this event so lucky in that sense. However I would have much preferred to get the skill ones even over the legendary polestar.

The problem with the lower level rarity polestars is that the opportunity cost is just so high that I can't see any scenario why anyone would want to use them. Not even the quantum cost itself but the credit cost to pull a single rare is way too high from what I see.

Problem is, even if they were free to use both quantum and credit wise, you would still need to most likely part with some trait or skill polestars to target specific common/uncommon/rare crew that could be used to target 5 star crew since there are no "star rating" for the other polestars.
  • Options
    I too have had 3 Angels in a month - but i also got 2 Caretakers the first of which helped and finished the 20k achievement a bit before which changed gameplay a lot including saving up merits.
  • Options
    [SSR] GTMET[SSR] GTMET ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    I totally agree, they are absolute trash and not a reward at all. I get that having random polestars in ranked rewards is probably a coding nightmare, here are a couple of options:

1) More skill constellations vs rarity constellations
    2) Just provide Rarity polestars, perhaps on legendary through 1000, then some super rares after
    3) Provide Trait constellations tied to the event crew so they are fixed

• Options
    Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree that Rarity Constellations as they presently exist are not an incentive to rank higher in events. If they can’t be adjusted to just drop Legendary polestars, in my opinion they should either be removed from the ranked reward structure, or added way down the reward ranking and be replaced with something of real value.
  • Options
    Commander SinclairCommander Sinclair ✭✭✭✭✭
    Waiting patiently(?) for a 5* polestar. I have a feeling I may be waiting quite a while...
    I want to become a Dilionaire...