Home The Bridge
Options

Constellation RNG

Why is that I keep getting the same polestars? I now have NINE Starfleet polestars. I opened Valeris today and got Starfleet, it keeps happening that RNG seems to favor giving you polestars you already have. I am going to take data but so far, if the chance of polestar is equal between the traits, I am far too often getting the same traits over and over.

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of crew have the Starfleet trait. So when you get a constellation Starfleet is more likely to be one of the options. Therefore even if the odds of the trait is the same for all traits in the constellation, you're more likely to get Starfleet overall because more of the constellations have Starfleet.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Example:

Constellation 1:
    Human, Starfleet, Inspiring

Constellation 2:
    Vulcan, Starfleet, Exobiology

Constellation 3:
    Human, Starfleet, Pilot

Constellation 4:
    Klingon, Civilian, Brutal

Each constellation has a 25% chance of happening. 3/4 constellations have Starfleet. So the odds of getting Starfleet polestar is 3/4 * 1/3 = 3/12

Let's look at each
    Starfleet: 3/4 * 1/3 = 3/12
    Human: 2/4 * 1/3 = 2/12
    Inspiring: 1/4 * 1/3 = 1/12
    Vulcan: 1/4 * 1/3 = 1/12
    Exobiology: 1/4 * 1/3 = 1/12
    Pilot: 1/4 * 1/3 = 1/12
    Klingon: 1/4 * 1/3 = 1/12
    Civilian: 1/4 * 1/3 = 1/12
    Brutal: 1/4 * 1/3 = 1/12

So Starfleet is more 3x more likely than Brutal and Human is 2x more likely than Klingon.
  • Options
    Maybe that's all it is, certainly Starfleet is common, so there are more chances at it, so I'm likely to get more.

I'm going to take data, and see.
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    And yet, I still don't have a Starfleet, but I have 6 Human and 5 Costumed. RNG is definitely rough.
  • Options
    Ikrit wrote: »
    And yet, I still don't have a Starfleet, but I have 6 Human and 5 Costumed. RNG is definitely rough.

I wish I could give you my Starfleet polestars in exchange for your Costumed :sweat_smile:
  • Options
    Commodore PackCommodore Pack ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Shockingly, I just pulled the Pilot polestar off of a Mirror Archer Constellation.
    I was reeeeeaallly expecting Human. 😂
    But you know what they say...
    RNGeezus giveth and RNGeelzebub taketh away.