Home The Bridge
Options

Single Skill Doc McCoy...

...might actually be the crew member that sees true daily use for me. That base goes out on shuttles every day, and even beats some bonus crew during faction events. This is useful too, because it frees up other crew to be available for voyages and the like.

Can I suggest it might be cool to get similar crew for the other skill stats? Who do we think they should be? A single skill Picard or Quark for DIP? A particular Sisko or Janeway for COM? A one skill Tuvok or Worf for SEC?

...and they should also bump Captain Scott’s ENG stat by a big amount, lol, to make him sorta useful...

Comments

• Options
    ...and they should also bump Captain Scott’s ENG stat by a big amount, lol, to make him sorta useful...

I second the motion.
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    I would like to see Captain Scott get a bump in Eng base to new crew levels, but also Cmd and maybe Sci as secondary skills.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm...who would be my picks for skill beasts? Who embodies that trait and has the perfect moment for it that isn't already in game? Ideally main or reoccurring cast.
    Security would have to be Avenging Seven with the dual rifles.
    Hmmm....
    Command
    Science
    Diplomacy
    Engineering
    Have to think on these.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayden Data would be great for a pure SCI character, given how much of his story is spent re-discovering fundamental science.

Georgiou would be my recommendation for a pure SEC, drawing from one of her extended fight scenes - the Saloon in Season 3 immediately comes to mind, or maybe the fight with Control.

With six main skills, and six main series, it would be neat to do a series. (Sorry Scott, you'll have to be replaced!)

TOS is MED, this has TNG as SCI and DIS as SEC. Maybe O'Brien for ENG. Sato or Neelix for DIP, and Janeway or Archer for CMD.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    The Rock would be my choice for SEC if they have the rights.

+1 on this! :smiley:
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    My suggestion to fix Captain Scott.

3lnye08klhdk.jpg

I think that would triple his value.
  • Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    If I had my way, these would be my suggestions for one-skill-wonders:

Com - Captain Tribble (I see the error of my ways @eXo | das411 :) ).
    Dip - Sheliak Negotiator
    Sci - Cytherian Head
    Sec - Definitely the Pendari Champion but, if not, then the Genesis Device.
    Eng - if refreshing Scotty isn’t an option (which, the more I think about it, it should be, just as they’re refreshing artwork), then ExoComp.
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    mr_sparkymr_sparky ✭✭✭
    Dip: Ambassador Sarek!

Ooo, or maybe a Sarek & Amanda
  • Options
    We haven't yet had Sarek in his outfit from Voyage Home and Undiscovered County, that'd be perfect for a McCoy-like single-skill DIP crew. The Pendari champion is also probably the best option out there for a SEC version.

I don't like the idea of updating old crew in general, but Captain Scott would be a worthy exception for ENG. And they technically already set a precedent for this by updating Locutus of Borg a few years ago.

For SCI, maybe Albert Einstein or Isaac Newton from the episode where they play poker with Data? Stephen Hawking was also in that scene, but it might be harder to secure the rights for him.

CMD is hard because the best contenders are already in the game: Kahless, TOS Pike, Khan Noonien Singh, the Female Changeling, etc. Maybe Fleet Admiral Shanthi from TNG's Unification arc? Or Admiral Vance from the latest season of Discovery?

• Options
    mr_sparkymr_sparky ✭✭✭
    Here we go
    hx3yzuz4f90m.jpg
  • Options
    As much as I'd love some more single-skill shuttle juggernauts, I'm starting to wonder if they'd be too unbalancing. Especially if they're main cast characters, or otherwise have fair event potential.

There aren't a lot of MED seats, and Bones still goes on a ton of shuttles for me. If we had similar characters for CMD, DIP, and SEC they'd see even more use. And any one of them would immediately eclipse a ton of two-skillers who rely on shuttles for their value.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to these cards, just that I think my initial enthusiasm didn't consider their full impact. Given that it's been over a year since Bones arrived, I don't think we're at risk of a rapid deployment of more one-skill legendaries.

You make a couple of very good points. They would be great in certain faction events, huh? I suppose going non-main would help, though I like the legendary main characters having legendary bases!

As to the two skill legendaries losing value... I don’t know if they even have any, with or without the single skill legendaries. That’s a problem too, as you suggest. I think it’s because their bases AREN’T actually appreciably better than three skillers. Maybe that’s a better approach, make sure that two skillers have higher bases than they have been given going forward...

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

The bigger issue is there are so many crew to cite, players need to prioritize who to cite. Most players prioritize voyages. Since 1 and 2 skill crew aren't useful on voyages, they won't get cited. And 1/5 base states are comparable to 4/4 base stats with 4/4 being able to live in the freezer. There is very little reason for players to invest in 2 skill 5* crew.

Even McCoy with his crazy high base I've kept at 4/5. He's not going on voyages so I don't want to waste a cite. I don't care about non-event shuttles. And for an event his base needs to compete with med bonus crew. Sometimes he's still used, but not often enough that I want to spend 40k on McCoy rather than a crew that will help all my voyages.

At a certain point, voyages are full. It helps to get some of the less common skill combos, but they begin to make less and less difference. At some point, that citation on McCoy will actually make a difference, causing him daily nonevent use, and more importantly, regular faction event use. FF he does beat a lot of “small” bonus MED crew in faction events, in part because MED is a lot less common than other traits. Granted, MED event shuttles are a lot less common too... but it’s still a useful contribution.

Daily non-event shuttle useless is pointless. I have more trainers than I'll ever need. I have plenty of faction items and more replications and rations than I need to to replicate items I'm missing. And since shuttle difficulties adjust themselves, improving a daily shuttle won't even net me more success in the long term. The only use for a high base crew are events. Does McCoy help a little there, sure. Would I rather improve a rare voyage skillset instead, absolutely.
  • Options
    IkritIkrit ✭✭✭
    Well, Captain Tribble is single-skill and has 1701 base Cmd, putting it above McCoy's 1641 Med. It also means that we have our first 2000 base crew (with bonuses). I don't know how many crew can reach 2000 with 2 skills on an AND shuttle slot besides Professor Sato.
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Captain Tribble is an example of "be careful what you wish for". :D
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Scotty needs to have tribble level engineering for his stat. Nobody should* complain if changed
  • Options
    Not Bridge Crew, but if Captain Tribble is the new standard, then the single skill DIP monster has to be our old "Snappy Conversationalist", Mot the Barber.
  • Options
    EnderW wrote: »
    If I had my way, these would be my suggestions for one-skill-wonders:

Com - Captain Tribble (I see the error of my ways @eXo | das411 :) ).
    Dip - Sheliak Negotiator
    Sci - Cytherian Head
    Sec - Definitely the Pendari Champion but, if not, then the Genesis Device.
    Eng - if refreshing Scotty isn’t an option (which, the more I think about it, it should be, just as they’re refreshing artwork), then ExoComp.
    Jayden Data would be great for a pure SCI character, given how much of his story is spent re-discovering fundamental science.
    The Pendari champion is also probably the best option out there for a SEC version.

Steal and building, I can't honestly think of a reason that Protomorphosis Worf has Command. If we're wishing for reworks, he's the most sensible Security, IMO.

Another suggestion for Dip, Positronic Implant Bareil.
  • Options
    IceCatIceCat ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ikrit wrote: »
    Well, Captain Tribble is single-skill and has 1701 base Cmd

1701, eh?

fjz9tccing2i.jpg

• Options
    SpocktoberfestSpocktoberfest ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Not Bridge Crew, but if Captain Tribble is the new standard, then the single skill DIP monster has to be our old "Snappy Conversationalist", Mot the Barber.

Perfect idea. This is why I started this thread! I do think there’s a place for these crew members, especially as I mentioned, McCoy is on a shuttle right now. And I have no doubt he might very well able to contribute this weekend!

And I loved the other suggestions, everyone, keep them coming. The Jayden Data SCI card would be a great addition... but I am evidently biased towards The Next Gen, because all my favorite picks are TNG!