Home Make It So!
Options

For the love of Q, just disable the in-game censor already

Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know there's a thread specifically for collecting words and phrases that are censored and shouldn't be, but this is a thread to kill the in-game censor module entirely.

Anyone who has ever used the in-game chat for any length of time has been frustrated by the ridiculousness of the censor. It seems like every time I spend any amount of time in chat, something stupid is censored.

A few examples from the past couple of days (of which there are quite a few more)... 

• Yesterday: "George & Gracie" was censored (however, for some reason "George and Gracie" was not).
  • Moments ago: "Robert Duncan McNeill" had the "Robert Duncan" and then just the word "Duncan" censored.
  • I also recall members of my fleet haven't been able to write the name of Juliana Tainer.

The fact that there had to be a thread devoted to all the words that are unnecessarily removed should have been enough for someone in the company to realize this is just not working. Its implementation is not only the dumbest thing ever, but the fact that there is a censor in the first place is silly. Anyone who wants to throw around faux curse words or references to body parts or to alcoholic libations has figured out creative spellings and other ways to get around it. So what, I ask, is the point?

At the very least, remove everything from the censor list except George Carlin's 7 dirty words you can't say on television.

Right now I end up cursing more aloud because of that blankety-blank censor and its idiocy. ;)

ahbw74b0ecp6.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"

Comments

• Options
    =j= Zathras=j= Zathras ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    I was thinking yesterday that if I just copy and pasted the uncensored stuff from UC into forum posts that I would quickly be banned. It really is an embarrassment how useless the censor is.
  • Options
    SlickSlick ✭✭✭
    Case in point: (this is my own personal in-game chat comments cropped out from the full screen)
    nh6qbsbymj4v.png
    Fleet Admiral - Dazed & Confused 🤸🤸🙃 We are still waiting for Enterprises B & C, the Delta Flyer, and a Runabout! We should also have a TNG season 1 red shirt LT JG Worf, and a "Far Beyond The Stars" DS9 episode crew collection!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Removing the chat filter is not something that will happen any time soon, as it would require some work to find an alternative solution.

There is more to this tool than just mere moderation, it is not perfect, especially for names and I try to tweak it as often as I can.

It is really not just about bad words.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Removing the chat filter is not something that will happen any time soon, as it would require some work to find an alternative solution.

There is more to this tool than just mere moderation, it is not perfect, especially for names and I try to tweak it as often as I can.

It is really not just about bad words.

By inference, this means that the tool uses context. Surely the team can provide such? If not, there might be a few players here who could help y’all.

We do love our screenshots, after all.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust