Home The Bridge
Options

New 5* in Vault - Grecian Carolyn Palamas

robownagerobownage ✭✭✭✭✭
w41bl1174vrr.jpg
iy7lfesnvfgn.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Why does anthropology gets a "xeno-" prefix and archaeology gets an "exo-" prefix?
  • Options
    Why does anthropology gets a "xeno-" prefix and archaeology gets an "exo-" prefix?

Not that it makes sense, but I think the idea is that xeno is used when it applies specifically to a culture or alien species (another examples is xenolinguistics) while exo is used when it applies to other planets (like exobotany). In the case of archaeology, seems like either would apply? I guess since it could be your own species, but on another planet or prehistorical, archaeology wouldn't strictly be related to aliens even if you're on another planet?

But honestly, it's probably because writers are inconsistent.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we're being technical it should be archeology. Star Trek never referenced exoarcheology or xenoarcheology. While it did use xenoanthropology.
  • Options

Not that it makes sense, but I think the idea is that xeno is used when it applies specifically to a culture or alien species (another examples is xenolinguistics) while exo is used when it applies to other planets (like exobotany). In the case of archaeology, seems like either would apply? I guess since it could be your own species, but on another planet or prehistorical, archaeology wouldn't strictly be related to aliens even if you're on another planet?

But honestly, it's probably because writers are inconsistent.

They're broadly synonymous terms. Arguably, exo-archaeology would be the study of human activity on other worlds, and xeno-archaeology would be the study of alien activity. But it's a distinction that often isn't made.
  • Options
    AviTrek wrote: »
    If we're being technical it should be archeology. Star Trek never referenced exoarcheology or xenoarcheology. While it did use xenoanthropology.

From DS9 episode "Dax":

SISKO: If you can remember other things, remember that as well. What academic degrees do you hold, Lieutenant?
    DAX: I hold Premier Distinctions in exobiology, zoology, astrophysics and exoarchaeology.
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't find her in the vault. She wasn't there, then she was there, now she's gone again.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Captain's log, supplemental. It's been over thirty years since I last saw my archaeology professor. His presence has taken me back to a time when I had considered a very different career.

PICARD: Your published writings have been sporadic for the last decade. Your appearance at symposia has been rare, or scheduled and then cancelled at the last moment. The finest archaeologist of the century is now shrouded with a cloak of mystery.

PICARD: I had a long talk with Professor Galen last night. He asked me to leave the Enterprise, to join him in an archaeological expedition which could last for nearly a year.
    CRUSHER: That must be tempting.
    PICARD: I couldn't leave the Enterprise. But the offer raised in me certain feelings of regret.
    CRUSHER: That you could have been an archaeologist and not a starship Captain?

So as usual looks like the Star Trek writers were inconsistent.
  • Options
    Chuck S DarwinChuck S Darwin ✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    AviTrek wrote: »

From DS9 episode "Dax":

SISKO: If you can remember other things, remember that as well. What academic degrees do you hold, Lieutenant?
    DAX: I hold Premier Distinctions in exobiology, zoology, astrophysics and exoarchaeology.

It seems to me that archaeology (the study of “ancient” cultures based on their artifacts) needs no prefix, but exo- seems fine. I’m not sure in a civilization spanning many star systems why you would want the specialty to exclude one planet (in Dax’s case, I assume that planet is Earth, assuming her degree is from Starfleet Academy?), but whatever. Xenoanthropology would be the study of the cultures of alien beings (as opposed to the study of your own cultures) and makes a lot more sense to me as a discipline, especially in the early days following first contact.

Also of interest, xenobiology has come to mean something different than the study of alien life: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenobiology

Edit: Since “exo-“ just means “outside” I suppose the context of Star Trek, it could mean “outside the Federation” instead of “outside Earth”.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I didn't already have Kirk and Apollo, I might try. Looks great, though.
  • Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    Not to discourage you, but I pulled a few and got a Kirk and three Apollos in a row. I really wanted Carolyn but at the end of the day I need to save my dilithium for the end of the mega event, and that looked like a string of bad luck I wasn’t going to break through without emptying out my stash.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever prefixes are used for anthropology at its broadest can be used for archaeology, linguistics, and both physical and cultural anthropology on their own. The four sub disciplines exist in parallel and overlap with one another anyway. Even if you focus on one, you learn the basics of the other three.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Whatever prefixes are used for anthropology at its broadest can be used for archaeology, linguistics, and both physical and cultural anthropology on their own.

I tend to agree, but also don't mind the distinction ... as one that can be explained by the different subject of study--living people vs. material culture. It also follows a tradition of essentially-synonyms being used to distinguish: archaeology and paleontology carry the same basic meaning from two different languages, but have become definitionally exclusive of one another (as anyone who's made the mistake of asking an archaeologist what dinosaurs they study will learn!)
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we refer to her as Grecian Formula? It sounds less pretentious.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    6jc5yr2avtls.jpeg

I love the look of this pack!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8cmWK1uRu4
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the one Crew NOT in a Toga..........
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Trollita wrote: »
    Not to discourage you, but I pulled a few and got a Kirk and three Apollos in a row. I really wanted Carolyn but at the end of the day I need to save my dilithium for the end of the mega event, and that looked like a string of bad luck I wasn’t going to break through without emptying out my stash.

Your insight serves you well. All of my rolls for Carolyn netted everyone else except her after waiting for another TOS character to arrive. Thankfully I managed to get some good load of 4* characters I'd missed from years earlier, but I'll have to wait for Crew Retrieval to get her.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whatever prefixes are used for anthropology at its broadest can be used for archaeology, linguistics, and both physical and cultural anthropology on their own.

I tend to agree, but also don't mind the distinction ... as one that can be explained by the different subject of study--living people vs. material culture. It also follows a tradition of essentially-synonyms being used to distinguish: archaeology and paleontology carry the same basic meaning from two different languages, but have become definitionally exclusive of one another (as anyone who's made the mistake of asking an archaeologist what dinosaurs they study will learn!)

I know the distinction well- Anthropology major and Geology minor (along with a Classics major and History, Ancient Studies, and Native American Studies minors [so basically I have four Bachelor's Degrees] :D I like to suffer I guess.) I remember well trying to make the distinction between paleobotany and historical ecology. :Bangs head: I basically just like to play in the dirt.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*