Home The Bridge
Options

The Good Old Days Of Leveling Up

As I leveled up Human Neelix this morning, I remembered with a bit of fondness the Good Old Days of leveling up a crew. In the Timelines of June 2016, 120 chrons was a fortune. You would run a few away missions (manually, not warp) and hope the item you needed dropped before those 120 chrons ran out.

Some build items were shuttle mission only (no replicator in those days) and there was that moment of elation when a science experiment or hologram would drop; but then you only had one of that item and had to wait for RNG to drop another one--which could be days. It was such a hallowed moment that people would post pictures on the forums when one of these rare shuttle items dropped.

Trainers were in short supply and leveling a crew from say an 83 to an 84 could take a week.

I'm glad I can level up a Human Neelix in a couple minutes, and I wouldn't want to go back, but I do kind of miss the celebration and camaraderie that came along with actually getting a crew to level 100.

What are your reflections about the Good Old Days?

Comments

• Options
    As a VIP 0 not having the ability to warp a mission over and over. There was one piece (I can’t remember the name of it) that I had a hard time collecting yet I seemed to need lots of to advance on my 1701 Jadzia. The slow collection of dilithium to buy a 3rd shuttle that made clearing the rewards threshold in a faction event easier. The day collections were introduced I finally had enough to buy a 4th shuttle. I haven’t finished my Human Neelix yet but knowing I have the resources to finish it quickly is nice.
  • Options
    MiT SanoaMiT Sanoa ✭✭✭✭✭
    After two years of playing I still sympathize with people in desperate need of chrons, trainers and rep rations. I vividly remember how long it took to finish a crew. Also I still remember the recommendation to focus on one crew and finish it before levelling the next. I still think that this is a bad idea, at least until you can finish a crew in one week.

In any case back then the game was more engaging for me than it is today. Me and my crew are bored. The current shimmer of light are today's recap packs. I saved up 18k dil and have all the 5* crew at 2/5 minimum. I hope to save some citations on the top crew. But after the pack feast certainly boredom will return. :( One crew retrieval every 18 days cannot remedy that.
    Wir, die Mirror Tribbles [MiT] haben freie Plätze zu vergeben. Kein Zwang und kein Stress, dafür aber Spaß, Discord und eine nette, hilfsbereite Gemeinschaft, incl. voll ausgebauter Starbase und täglich 700 ISM.
  • Options
    After two years of playing I still sympathize with people in desperate need of chrons, trainers and rep rations. I vividly remember how long it took to finish a crew. Also I still remember the recommendation to focus on one crew and finish it before levelling the next. I still think that this is a bad idea, at least until you can finish a crew in one week.

In any case back then the game was more engaging for me than it is today. Me and my crew are bored. The current shimmer of light are today's recap packs. I saved up 18k dil and have all the 5* crew at 2/5 minimum. I hope to save some citations on the top crew. But after the pack feast certainly boredom will return. :( One crew retrieval every 18 days cannot remedy that.

I would like more things to do with crew as well. I am hopeful that will happen in the near future. Also, even though I used the term Good Old Days, I do think the game is in a much better place today and many qol improvements have been made. I was just feeling nostalgic for the sense of accomplishment at leveling a crew.
  • Options
    Selene 7Selene 7 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember playing galaxy events without warp, or stockpiles of items, and playing the missions manually while deciding which crew needed the xp the most. Of course, you didn't need anything near the vp then that you do now.
  • Options
    Zombie Squirrel Zombie Squirrel ✭✭✭✭✭
    I d call it horrible old days. Can t see anything good about it. 🤗
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021
    Nothing was more frustrating than waiting for 18 chrons to build up so I could run epic Ishka Issues for a 3* polyalloy, only for RNG to reward with me more 2* microconnectors and 2* casings.... over and over and over, until finally I got the pollyalloy to level the crew member.

I am thankful to have reached the point - thanks to the combination of 4+ years of playing and game improvements - where I have significant stockpiles of commonly used equipment and every other in-game resource. A slow, methodical approach is definitely key for having success in the long-game.

As frustrating as those early days may have been, I do miss the strategizing that came with crew levelling (when you actually needed them for cadet missions) and progression through the galaxy map missions. I don't get the same satisfaction or feel the same enjoyment from slogging through events and speed levelling/freezing crew.
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started playing sometime around May 2018, after the "good old days" but still far enough back that many since defeated struggles were still very much influencing the game. I built my Captain Proton the HARD way, from scratch. It took AGES and I can still remember how excited I was to finally, FINALLY get him 100 FE!
  • Options
    Does anyone else remember that in 'The Good Old Days™', we could not long hold the trainers and so by the time we got to level ninety we had to tap 50 times to get to level one hundred. 😂
  • Options
    Bylo Band wrote: »
    I started playing sometime around May 2018, after the "good old days" but still far enough back that many since defeated struggles were still very much influencing the game. I built my Captain Proton the HARD way, from scratch. It took AGES and I can still remember how excited I was to finally, FINALLY get him 100 FE!

Finishing Captain Proton was a badge of honor back then. My nemesis was Doctor LaForge.
    Does anyone else remember that in 'The Good Old Days™', we could not long hold the trainers and so by the time we got to level ninety we had to tap 50 times to get to level one hundred. 😂

Oh, yeah! I had forgotten all about that.
  • Options
    This is... kinda how I'm currently playing :s Some of the builds recently have hammered my chrons, even with supply kits on; seems like everyone needs 4* casings...
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • Options
    When I need 4* components, I make sure that I can double the rewards with an ad. So at least I have another one for next time.

But I find basic science experiments a lot more annoying.
  • Options
    Jan Krohn wrote: »
    When I need 4* components, I make sure that I can double the rewards with an ad. So at least I have another one for next time.

I try and do this too but for some reason I can't ad-double a 4* casing, I watch the add & then it tells me an unexpected error has occurred... I've submitted 3 seperate tickets about this issue but there seems to be no fix for it. It seems to only do it on that item too, of course one of the most expensive in the game... 😫
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021

Try doing the MWF cadet mission epic the 3rd one. When you are stocked up on the items from the other epic missions you can get quite a few basic Science Experiments this way.
  • Options
    WebberoniWebberoni ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaldoMag wrote: »

Try doing the MWF cadet mission epic the 3rd one. When you are stocked up on the items from the other epic missions you can get quite a few basic Science Experiments this way.

Also the 4th elite mission on Tuesdays and Sundays, if you have lots of 2* encoded communiques, is another great option for 0* science experiments. Or the last normal mission in the Celestial Temple distress signal, to farm both the experiments and 3* alcohol.
  • Options
    Proton Paris is what sticks in the mind about those days, some of his items were so expensive for the time i think he went unlevelled for at least a year, but yes never allowing your chronos to fill up so you got maximum use of them