Home The Bridge
Options

Justice for Janeway? (An INSPIRING Request)

Why are NONE of the Janeway cards given the Inspiring trait? Archer, Pike, Kirk, Picard, and Sisko are all Inspiring. But not Janeway?

This has bugged me off and on since I started playing the game years ago. At best, this is a terrible oversight. At worst, this seems sexist. Please update some of the Janeway cards and make her Inspiring -- she has certainly inspired many Trekkies in real life!

And look at her achievements: she single-handedly inspired the entire crew of the USS Voyager on a desperate journey home from the Delta Quadrant for seven long years; she reconciles the clashing Starfleet and Maquis crews to form one crew and put aside their differences and suspicions; she rescues Seven of Nine from the Borg and teaches her to be human; she swayed the crew to sacrifice an easy way home (the Caretaker's array) to protect the Ocampa from the Kazon; she made truces with the Hirogen and even the Borg Collective! Oh, and we mustn't forget that Q certainly found her fascinating!

Also she killed Tuvix AND she had a crippling addiction to coffee.

Please make things right, @WRG Ben and @Shan ... recognize Janeway as Inspiring!

Comments

• Options
    Hear hear!
    Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • Options
    I agree, Janeway was inspirational both in canon and to fans. The trait inspirational is maybe inappropriate for most of her variants, but I would be thrilled to see it added to:
    4* Captain Janeway
    5* Admiral Janeway
    Alternatively, including inspirational on a new variant from that mini-federation episode “The Void” would be awesome ;)
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    I would argue that Agent Janeway, Determined Janeway, Assimilated Janeway, and Homesteader Janeway all deserve the trait. She was particularly influential to her crew in those episodes. Kathryn Janeway and Captain Janeway are kind of generic cards and I would say those should also get the trait. On the daily, Captain Janeway encouraged the Maquis to work with Starfleet and kept the crew from despair in their long, near impossible journey home. It really does take someone inspiring to lead a crew when success seems so unlikely.

There are limits, of course. No one was inspired by Evolved Janeway. :D Probably not Arachnia or Klingon Janeway either, but maybe a case could be made for Arachnia.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    +1
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    +1 from me too!

I never noticed this, but I agree that she should have the trait or at least some of her variants, like Determined Janeway, should. If they don't want to add it now, then they could at least give us a new inspiring Janeway from "The Void" or "Deadlock" :smiley:
  • Options
    Emperor Borg Drone (SC)Emperor Borg Drone (SC) ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Or from "Scientific Method". I seem to be the only one who doesn't hate that episode, but I loved the binary pulsar scene :lol:
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do we really want to put a murderer on a pedestal? It's time to call her what she is, a monster.

#JusticeForTuvix
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgive me all you Janeway Fanatics. I do not find Janeway inspiring. A few episodes in a few situations, sure. And after rewatching the series, I liked her mostly, despite the bad writing in so many places and the insistence on her never ever ever being wrong and on her always no matter how ridiculous being the one to save the day. So throw inspiring on a couple cards such as Determined Janeway, but she doesn't deserve it as a blanket giveaway. Sorry to you Fanatics, and I hope we can still be friends. She is competent and so forth most of the time, but I was seldom inspired.
  • Options
    Absolutely!!
    +1
    +1
    +1
    My 13 Year old daughter has Janeway poster on her wall!! She is a huge INSPIRATION for her!
  • Options
    Hemlock MartinisHemlock Martinis ✭✭✭✭
    This is an excellent point and I hope the devs act upon it soon.

Interestingly enough, there doesn't seem to be a consistent pattern for the Inspiring trait among Kirk, Picard, Sisko, and Archer. They seem to have the trait by default unless it doesn't make sense for a particular version of them. It's excluded most often when the character is costumed, undercover, or off-duty—but not always. (Jodmos, Sous-chef Sisko, and Smitten Jean-Luc Picard are notable oddities.) I doubt they can remove it from existing crew without screwing up the collections, though.

My suggested list for adding it: Kathryn Janeway, Rifle Janeway, Captain Janeway, Admiral Janeway, Agent Janeway, Katrine, Determined Janeway, and Homesteader Janeway. Katrine technically isn't a "Janeway" per se, but I think the character gets there on its own merits. Vice Admiral Janeway is an edge case to me, but I'd ultimately put her in the same league as Conflicted Sisko: a darker, edgier, un-Inspiring version of the character.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    I think this happened when TP read this thread. "Oh, let's check... Yeah, they are right... Did not knew this... Shall we give one?"
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll join the chorus of folks who aren't big fans of VOY, but do think Janeway has earned an Inspiring variant or two.
    Agreed. Janeway even formed her own Federation when many different alien species were all stuck in the void. She got them to work together as a cohesive group to escape.
    Agreed, that's an excellent episode for an inspiring Janeway. Probably not the most visually distinctive, although I haven't seen that episode in ages.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    ShadowPresenceShadowPresence ✭✭✭✭
    I'm 100% in agreement! Janeway deserves at least a few Inspiring variants. In addition to what's already been mentioned; she inspired Kes to embrace her powers, get off her ship, and settle her hangry *ss down when she tried to destroy Voyager as a rebellious teenager (Fury Kes).

As the only Starfleet captain to successfully traverse the galaxy; oooh so close Rudy Ransom; she got her ship and crew back to Earth despite loosing more shuttle crafts than she left with! I mean, she had to be working those engineers over time to squeeze out that many shuttles! Talk about inspiring!
  • Options
    Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Forgive me all you Janeway Fanatics. I do not find Janeway inspiring. A few episodes in a few situations, sure. And after rewatching the series, I liked her mostly, despite the bad writing in so many places and the insistence on her never ever ever being wrong and on her always no matter how ridiculous being the one to save the day. So throw inspiring on a couple cards such as Determined Janeway, but she doesn't deserve it as a blanket giveaway. Sorry to you Fanatics, and I hope we can still be friends. She is competent and so forth most of the time, but I was seldom inspired.

So you apparently glossed over the several episodes like 'Night' (season 5, episode 1) where the crew enter a huge region of space without ANY stars. Our normally very inspiring captain has sealed herself away in her Ready Room and spends a good portion of the episode brooding in isolation about her past mistakes and how they lead the crew to their current situation, and the crew's morale has massively tanked because they have been without their inspirational leader for many weeks.

That episode alone is proof enough of her inspirational qualities, as well as dispel the notion that she never made mistakes. The entire crew in the episode banded together to prevent her from making a mistake by sacrificing herself to save her crew!
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is Janeway inspiring? Of course. That said, you realize this is an argument to make Crew Retrieval more difficult and less specific, right...?
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Is Janeway inspiring? Of course. That said, you realize this is an argument to make Crew Retrieval more difficult and less specific, right...?

But also to expand a collection. And give more options when that trait pops up on voyages. I count two gains and one loss. It all depends on what's more important to each player as to whether that's a good proposition, though.
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    Shy Khan wrote: »

It could make it easier to target some variants of Janeway though. Plus there already are 73 crew with that trait, including 2*, 3* and 4* and there will be more once the portal is updated (about 85 are visible in the vault right now). It's a trait that in most cases already requires to be matched with a rarer one that probably wouldn't overlap with Janeway's (Cultural Figure, Vulcan, Gardener) to specifically target a crew.
  • Options
    =j= Zathras=j= Zathras ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Some headscratchers with the trait exist, too--how is Arandis "Inspiring"?
  • Options
    shadow8803shadow8803 ✭✭✭
    +1 to adding ‘Inspiring’ to the Janeways!

Side note, is there another place where we can suggest trait additions/changes? I just leveled up Incognito Kirk, and I’m a little confused as to why he doesn’t have the ‘Costumed’ trait.