Home The Bridge
Options

Belgium declares lootboxes as "gambling" and seeks to ban them in Europe

Jim RaynorJim Raynor ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in The Bridge
Edit: guess it's a double post, sorry, thread can be closed/deleted by Shan -> https://forum.disruptorbeam.com/stt/discussion/1813/is-this-the-end-of-best-chance-packs-or-loot-boxes-packs-in-europe

Some interesting news from the lootboxes discussion which could also affect STT.

Belgium's Gaming Commission investigated lootboxes to decide if they should be considered as gambling or not and their conclusion is "yes, they are gambling" and Belgium's Minister of Justice also weighted in and stated "Mixing gambling and gaming, especially at a young age, is dangerous for the mental health of the child.". They want to outright ban ingame purchases for which the purchaser doesn't exactly know what he is purchasing and they are going to start to bring it to the EU level to get an EU wide legislation.

http://www.pcgamer.com/belgium-says-loot-boxes-are-gambling-wants-them-banned-in-europe/?utm_content=buffere78bc&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=buffer-pcgamertw

Knowing politcal processes in the EU, it surely will take some time (at least a year, likely even longer) before this legislative initiative could turn into actual law. I doubt that it will end up in any kind of general bans (some heavy lobbyism incoming), but I assume it could end up in the "Chinese way" compromise where the odds have to be disclosed. But since they play the "we have to protect children" card, the chances are pretty high that there will be some sort of regulatory outcome. I guess EA took it finally into the mainstream politics.

In my personal opinion bans would be too much. If people are willing to spend money, they should be able. But some regulation, especially regarding the odds, is very welcome to give players the position to make informed decisions. "Best chance" packs anyone?

Comments

• Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    It very clearly is gambling, so this makes perfect sense to me. Though I'm opposed to the banning of gambling, I would like to see the posted odds. At least you know your odds when you're placing a bet at a roulette table.
  • Options
    Clanof wrote: »
    It very clearly is gambling, so this makes perfect sense to me. Though I'm opposed to the banning of gambling, I would like to see the posted odds. At least you know your odds when you're placing a bet at a roulette table.

At least in Germany the current legal definition of gambling is that you have to be able to win money/play for money. That's why virtual goods can't fulfil the definition of gambling (yet), they are no real money nor are they worth any real money.
  • Options
    It's a very interesting development.
    "Dance with me. For science."