Home Engineering Room
Options

Win10 app unplayable

It's been hit and miss for a while, a few restarts before settling down, but for the last 24 hours or so screens constantly freezing after a few minutes to as little as a few seconds, occasionally locking up the whole PC and requiring a restart. All drivers are up to date, nothing has changed on my end, but the latest update has caused nothing but problems.

Fortunately I can use steam and android as options, but given that Win10 has lower pricing in the UK don't expect any further purchases to me until it works works properly again!

Comments

• Options
    -{Punisher}-[BAD]-{Punisher}-[BAD] ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    My windows 10 client works perfectly fine. Probably something on your end bud. Virus, too much cat videos - edit by ~Shan, who knows?
  • Options
    Team ZeroTeam Zero ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    No issues watching cat videos - edit by ~Shan!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vid wrote: »
    It's been hit and miss for a while, a few restarts before settling down, but for the last 24 hours or so screens constantly freezing after a few minutes to as little as a few seconds, occasionally locking up the whole PC and requiring a restart. All drivers are up to date, nothing has changed on my end, but the latest update has caused nothing but problems.

Fortunately I can use steam and android as options, but given that Win10 has lower pricing in the UK don't expect any further purchases to me until it works works properly again!

What are the specs of your computer?
    Have you tried removing the app and making a new installation?
  • Options
    It seems to be working for me on my elderly DELL; I just sent out a bunch of shuttles and managed a voyage without issue. The WIN10 client is a pig for resources (far more so than the Steam version) (its sitting on 33% CPU and not actually doing anything...) so its worth checking to see if you installed something recently. It is also worth checking that you are running the up-to-date version. I had an issue recently where windows appeared to have got stuck on an update and all the later ones log jammed...
  • Options
    Team ZeroTeam Zero ✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    Shan wrote: »

What are the specs of your computer?
    Have you tried removing the app and making a new installation?

what do you need to know?
    unbranded PC (built it myself a few years ago now)
    WIn10 Home Version 20H2 64bit
    Intel - i5 4690k CPU @ 3.50 GHz
    8MB RAM (DDR3 I think)
    main drive SSD 256GB + 2x SATA hard drives as back up/ storage
    GPU - NVidea GeForce GTX 660

600+Mb cable internet

Yes, I've uninstalled, reinstalled, forced to play half an hour or so (with lock ups) to get to the settings screen to enable log in. Still hit and miss as to whether the game will play for a while before locking up. There do seem to be more issues when there are a number of LTO pop-ups trying to pop up.

Agreeing with MarcusThanatos, resource hog! Especially on crew screen when it pushes the CPU to 100% and causes a different lock up. Other FB (in particular) games also caused this issue for a short while whilst they dealt with the demise of Flash.

I have no issues whatsoever with any thing else (including cat videos - edit by ~Shan! :D), STT works okay on FB and Steam on the PC, everything else I do works fine, STT on the Win10 app is my only problem.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems to be working for me on my elderly DELL; I just sent out a bunch of shuttles and managed a voyage without issue. The WIN10 client is a pig for resources (far more so than the Steam version) (its sitting on 33% CPU and not actually doing anything...) so its worth checking to see if you installed something recently. It is also worth checking that you are running the up-to-date version. I had an issue recently where windows appeared to have got stuck on an update and all the later ones log jammed...

Your comment about not getting later updates caught my attention, I am sorry that it happened and will keep an eye out on other reports. May I ask how you solved it? Thank you!
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    what do you need to know?
    unbranded PC (built it myself a few years ago now)
    WIn10 Home Version 20H2 64bit
    Intel - i5 4690k CPU @ 3.50 GHz
    8MB RAM (DDR3 I think)
    main drive SSD 256GB + 2x SATA hard drives as back up/ storage
    GPU - NVidea GeForce GTX 660

600+Mb cable internet

Yes, I've uninstalled, reinstalled, forced to play half an hour or so (with lock ups) to get to the settings screen to enable log in. Still hit and miss as to whether the game will play for a while before locking up. There do seem to be more issues when there are a number of LTO pop-ups trying to pop up.

Agreeing with MarcusThanatos, resource hog! Especially on crew screen when it pushes the CPU to 100% and causes a different lock up. Other FB (in particular) games also caused this issue for a short while whilst they dealt with the demise of Flash.

I have no issues whatsoever with any thing else (including cat videos - edit by ~Shan! :D), STT works okay on FB and Steam on the PC, everything else I do works fine, STT on the Win10 app is my only problem.

Thanks for those details.
    Mileage seems to vary on this unfortunately.

I'd be curious about your antivirus, if you have one.

And for those of you who do not have similar issues, having an idea of your specs might help as well, should you feel inclined to share them :)

• Options
    Team ZeroTeam Zero ✭✭✭
    Norton 360 , Malwarebytes also installed, but only used for periodic checks, not always running
  • Options
    Team ZeroTeam Zero ✭✭✭
    btw - cat videos also run fine :D
  • Options
    Team ZeroTeam Zero ✭✭✭
    update - no issues whatsoever since the event started
  • Options

Your comment about not getting later updates caught my attention, I am sorry that it happened and will keep an eye out on other reports. May I ask how you solved it? Thank you!

If you go into the windows app store, there is a "downloads and updates" option under the "...". If you go into that, you'll see a screen that may look like the nearby image. When I had a problem, another program was having trouble installing an update, and this seemed to log jam other updates (I had maybe 20 pending). IIRC re-installing the other application freed up the log pile.
    00629p3tg91l.png
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

If you go into the windows app store, there is a "downloads and updates" option under the "...". If you go into that, you'll see a screen that may look like the nearby image. When I had a problem, another program was having trouble installing an update, and this seemed to log jam other updates (I had maybe 20 pending). IIRC re-installing the other application freed up the log pile.
    00629p3tg91l.png

Thank you! That is very useful :)
  • Options
    Team ZeroTeam Zero ✭✭✭
    new event starts Win10 app goes into constant freeze mode again ......