Home The Bridge
Options

Buying from the time portal for choice

Hailing all Captains,
Stardate five two twenty-one point twelve

In playing the game every day I constantly review the "offers" available for purchase through the time portal and I read the typical sort of "offer", "Buy ten guarantees one [something or other]" - I am left wondering...
If you walk into a store with say $100 dollars to spend you can browse available items in the store and you can choose individual items that you want to purchase. In STT I could take $1000 from an account, drop it into the game and still not come away with the characters I want to add to my crew roster.

I am, and have been since starting playing, progressing through the ranks; and upgrading things, based solely on effort, determination, playing skill and taking advantage of the regular "freebies" that drop in the Time Portal.

Wouldn't it make more sense to have an open store where you can purchase individuals or required items to suit your aims and goals rather than dropping money on a "chance" that you might get one item out of ten that you actually want?

Live long and prosper,
T
"Old enough to remember, young enough not to care"

Comments

• Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2021
    It depends on how effective your current business model is. People may spend more due to a chance, as opposed to a guaranteed purchase. Reading through these Forums over the years, I’ve seen many posts where an individual chases a character buying 10 or more packs at 650 dilithium each (usually Tuesday packs where you cannot directly buy a character). And with event characters, you can directly buy those characters ($99.99, $49.99, $24.99, and $9.99). There are $9.99 character sales at times for a 5*. Some items can be purchased in the Faction stores. With the replicator, you can purchase items for credits. At least to me, with the exception of Tuesday Packs, there appears to be many ways to directly purchase what you need without having “chance” as a a factor.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Prime LorcaPrime Lorca ✭✭✭✭✭
    It depends on how effective your current business model is. People may spend more due to a chance, as opposed to a guaranteed purchase. Reading through these Forums over the years, I’ve seen many posts where an individual chases a character buying 10 or more packs at 650 dilithium each (usually Tuesday packs where you cannot directly buy a character). And with event characters, you can directly buy those characters ($99.99, $49.99, $24.99, and $9.99). There are $9.99 character sales at times for a 5*. Some items can be purchased in the Faction stores. With the replicator, you can purchase items for credits. At least to me, with the exception of Tuesday Packs, there appears to be many ways to directly purchase what you need without having “chance” as a a factor.

This explains things very well. I will add that you can walk into a store with $100 and not walk out with what you want. That business model disgusts me. Especially with children's toys, like Ryan's Toy Review. Magic the Gathering, Pokemon, and other games use the same business model. I find it detestable and only participate when I find the odds to be favorable enough. For example the recent recap packs. I used it to convert dilithium to honor and gather the SR's I didn't finish. The legendaries were a nice bonus. And I don't by one or two packs. I bought about 40. That's enough to get the honor I wanted and provide good odds to get legendaries. And all the legendaries had good stats and collection value. Aside from that, I tend to buy the $10 legendaries, campaigns, and other guaranteed purchases. I've done event offers in the past, but those are becoming less appealing.

OP, you are doing well to analyze your purchase possibilities and spend prudently. Hope you continue to keep your wits about you. :)
    Farewell 🖖
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baseball cards, Pokemon cards, literally any card collecting. You buy packs and only find out what you get once you open it.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lego minifigure surprise bag. Spend $5 on a bag, you only find out what you get once you open it.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/series-21-71029
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    Lego minifigure surprise bag. Spend $5 on a bag, you only find out what you get once you open it.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/series-21-71029

Unless you are Superman making great side money scanning with your X-ray vision and only buying the good ones then selling them on eBay.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game take a lot from the card game. You can buy packs all you want but doesn't mean your going to get the Future Enterprise. The $10 crew offer has come a long way from 2016.
  • Options
    It's called gambling and should be labelled as such.
  • Options
    Greetings Captains,
    Thanks for your input and comments. I am going to study the ways to "maximise" desired returns through in-game purchases. It's an interesting conundrum and yes, I agree with the observations about "Collector cards/ mini-figures etc."

I guess it's all about finding an accommodating balance for your play style.

I think my approach is due for an overhaul anyway, I am getting tired of flushing multiple "duplicate" crew members out of the airlock... LOL
    Live long and prosper,
    T
    "Old enough to remember, young enough not to care"