Home The Bridge
Options

Event Discussion Thread: Galaxy Event - On the Backs of Giants - 2021-07-01 (flashback)

Comments

• Options
    EnderWEnderW ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting legendary; art looks good. But shouldn't she have the Romulan trait, as she's part of a Romulan spiritual order?
    Playing Since: 2018-02-26 Level: 99 Fleet: ÷ Battleship Yamato, Squad Leader & Fleet Officer; 16hr, 26min Voyage /wo Refuel; 1486 Immortalized Crew; Highest Event Rank: 8 (God of Thunder)
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    Why create event factions if there isn't a faction winner bonus?
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peets wrote: »

Different Events have different specials associated with them. Galaxies have Community Rewards. Multi-Faction Faction Events have special bonus drops for Shuttles from the Winning Faction until the next Event starts. Skirmishes have bonus rewards after the first four Battles of each run.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭

Different Events have different specials associated with them. Galaxies have Community Rewards. Multi-Faction Faction Events have special bonus drops for Shuttles from the Winning Faction until the next Event starts. Skirmishes have bonus rewards after the first four Battles of each run.

Yeah, but I don't see the point in having galaxy factions if there is no reward.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

Yeah, but I don't see the point in having galaxy factions if there is no reward.

To farm for items that might be used by crew from those factions, perhaps?

Stop and think about new players.
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

It seems to be a structural holdover from the early days of the game. If my memory isn’t failing me, there was a time when the galaxy faction winner had some minor consequences. I’m thinking about COP Picard type consequences, but I could be wrong.

These days, I routinely pick the least-favorite faction just to amuse myself. Fed wants peace but Borg wants to assimilate... give me Borg! The mission descriptions are different, but the actual farming and recipe building seems to be the same (though jumbled up a bit in order). Want an easy test of that? Build a recipe but don’t turn it in (i.e., don’t press the ‘get vp’ button). Go to the other factions and you’ll see some builds are completed (depending on which missions are showing).
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

The original game design had players picking winners do impact the game. It hasn't really existed in years. But the concept of multiple factions is still in place. Just pick one faction and ignore the other two. As far as issues with this game goes, this is really at the bottom of them list.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭

To farm for items that might be used by crew from those factions, perhaps?

Stop and think about new players.

This is a galaxy event. You're not running shuttles to farm faction items. The recipes are the same across all three factions. So there is no difference which one you play.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
    The downside is that you have to do one more click :)
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »

The original game design had players picking winners do impact the game. It hasn't really existed in years. But the concept of multiple factions is still in place. Just pick one faction and ignore the other two. As far as issues with this game goes, this is really at the bottom of them list.

Yes, there used to be a lot more player interaction for events, choosing a future 5*, storyline development, etc. ah well.

Pro tip
    If you "help" one faction and hand in your purple items, then the other two faction are still at their initial level ... so if you have a spare few lying around and don't want to build more stuff to try and hit, for example, 15 purple items on the nose ...

--> go to one of the others and hand in your spares there for a couple extra points of VP.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    AviTrek wrote: »

Yes, there used to be a lot more player interaction for events, choosing a future 5*, storyline development, etc. ah well.

Pro tip
    If you "help" one faction and hand in your purple items, then the other two faction are still at their initial level ... so if you have a spare few lying around and don't want to build more stuff to try and hit, for example, 15 purple items on the nose ...

--> go to one of the others and hand in your spares there for a couple extra points of VP.

That's what I do. I hate those "leftover" SuperRares. They are hard to locate later to use for Replicator and such.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Doesn't seem like many people are playing this one, I've just cleared thresholds & I'm rank #234 :/ Tempting to go for a high score but I should probably work on crew instead... anyway:

64pgzalm3a9v.jpg
    9etz0qx0jya5.jpg

Going boldly since April 2020 | My Datacore profile
  • Options
    Ishmael MarxIshmael Marx ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, scores must have been down. I wasn’t really trying to get Burnham but ended up with 2 stars after clearing threshold and turning in rares. 🤷‍♂️

Congrats to @Webberoni for winning it!