Home The Bridge
Options

Crew slots

PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭
I notice that a lot of players are having issues with the crew slots.
I thought I would share my view on how I handle the limited crew slots.
I actually enjoy the game more because of it but I doubt that I will have many followers.

Note: I spend money in the game. If you are not a spender for example the monthly dilithium then I fear this not for you. I agree it is a heavy burden then.

I keep track of the amount crew I have.
What I did first was complete the common, uncommon and rare crew.
Then when I got a few strong SR & Legends I started to freeze all my lower ones.

At the moment I have 325 crew slots and waiting for one more crew sale which will give me 65 more slots.
What I do now:
I keep my 50 strongest crew for voyages, arena, shuttles and gauntlet.
I have 329 SR + Legends (Meaning I have 325 slots, I have had to freeze 4 SR.)
At the moment I have 64 SR + Legends done, which means I have 14 slots free.
At the moment I am upgrading 52 crew which I have max stars. Which means in the future 52 extra crew slots.
When the next crew slot happens I'm going to upgrade my strongest crew from 50 to 100.
Since my free spots are low, I'm now going to airlock all my SR I receive from voyage which I don't have a star yet.
All the crew I receive from events and from the campaign, I keep. I also never airlock a legend.
So I have almost 5 weeks left now without problems. But I will probably complete a few of my 52 upgrading crew.
I also stopped opening Premium awards and merit pulls until the next crew slot sales or when my free slots get to 20. That's my 'magic' number.

Comments

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    TL/DR: I am a VIP 14 and have bought at least 50 crew slots with DIL(or a lower VIP who has bought more slots). I have a 175 more slots than a VIP0 who never spent DIL. I currently have 195 non-FF 4/5* crew. That's more than a lot of players. But if you all just copy me and buy crew slots, you too can still worry about running out of slots and airlock crew like I do.
  • Options
    General McDuckGeneral McDuck ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    And this is why I end up sending all 2-skilled legendaries to the freezer once they are IMed.
    All 4* crew automatically go to the freezer once IMed.
    All to keep just a few open clots in the crew quarters.

I think a good compromise would be do decrease the merit cost of thawing crew from the Vault.
    Better yet would be to permanently reduce the cost of crew slots by 50%.
  • Options
    cmdrworfcmdrworf ✭✭✭✭✭
    AviTrek wrote: »
    TL/DR: I am a VIP 14 and have bought at least 50 crew slots with DIL(or a lower VIP who has bought more slots). I have a 175 more slots than a VIP0 who never spent DIL. I currently have 195 non-FF 4/5* crew. That's more than a lot of players. But if you all just copy me and buy crew slots, you too can still worry about running out of slots and airlock crew like I do.

I've used so many cites on crap crew just to freeze them
    Sir, I protest! I am NOT a merry man!
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭

195? Wow! That's huge bad luck with beholds.
    You'll hard choice to pick which crew to retrieve.
  • Options
    Remember when airlocking a crew, even FF/FE meant you were deleting them permanently? When the freezer came along that was a huge improvement. Personally I've never really struggled to airlock lower tier cards or those I don't like (I airlocked all Timelines Originals before they created that Collection and then I paid for the Gun-Show Picard Campaign to get him back :sobs:)

Crew management has always been part of the game to me, one I enjoy. Whether it makes financial sense for DB to limit crew space is another matter entirely.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peets wrote: »

I = Peets. I was summarizing your own post. That 195 is what you have given the numbers you mentioned. Maybe I misinterpreted your number, but the general point is you're carrying more non-ff crew than most people have crew slots, and you're still struggling. Your entire post read like a #FirstWorldProblem. Your advise is nice, but doesn't even touch on the scale of the issue the rest of us have.
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I do now:

That is not a lot, but if you don't have the space, then it is fine.

The best crew for gauntlet are not the best crew for shuttles and voyages.

For voyages you want a minimum of 36 crew, all three skillers. You want one of each primary/secondary skill combo (30 crew) plus one extra of each primary skill. Try and choose at least two of these to have a 400% instantaneous damage bonus for use in arena and skirmish events.

Outside of shuttle events, put your best crew into voyages, and then crew your shuttles.

• Options
    TrollitaTrollita ✭✭✭✭
    I honestly don’t know why the game simply won’t do away with slot limits now that it focuses on collections. Maybe somebody has done the math and figured players spend more money trying to get new copies of crew they had to airlock. But the way I see it, if you’re not worried about rationing crew slots, you’re going to be more willing to participate in events or pull that Behold lever. Which means more money.
  • Options
    PeetsPeets ✭✭✭✭

I = Peets. I was summarizing your own post. That 195 is what you have given the numbers you mentioned. Maybe I misinterpreted your number, but the general point is you're carrying more non-ff crew than most people have crew slots, and you're still struggling. Your entire post read like a #FirstWorldProblem. Your advise is nice, but doesn't even touch on the scale of the issue the rest of us have.

But I'm not struggling, I'm actually enjoying the limited crew spots.
    I'll never have any issues if I keep following my system.
    What I do now:

That is not a lot, but if you don't have the space, then it is fine.

The best crew for gauntlet are not the best crew for shuttles and voyages.

For voyages you want a minimum of 36 crew, all three skillers. You want one of each primary/secondary skill combo (30 crew) plus one extra of each primary skill. Try and choose at least two of these to have a 400% instantaneous damage bonus for use in arena and skirmish events.

Outside of shuttle events, put your best crew into voyages, and then crew your shuttles.

I'm going to 100 soon when I have my extra crew slots with the next sale
    At the moment my top gauntlet crew can be use for voyage and shuttles but that will indeed change in the future. But then I'll have 100 slots for my strongest crew.

When I'm going to freeze a crew, I check if I don't use it for Arena and the voyage/gauntlet ranking in the Idol Datacore analysis.
  • Options
    Yeah, crew slot management is the biggest irritant in this game. I have 161 5* crew in various stages of completion in my roster. They are stuck there, unless I airlock them (which defeats the purpose of the game if I'm just airlocking crew I collect). At the glacial pace it takes to collect 5* crew, it's extremely hard to start moving the crappy 5*s out of my roster (why would I waste cites on them, unless maybe it's to fill a collection).

I don't know why WRG lets this stand. It affects so many areas of my gameplay - I don't care to compete in events because it will just saddle me with another 5* crew that's stuck on my roster and taking up a slot, I don't care to buy most weekly LTO's again for the same reason, etc.

It really needs to be looked at...I've long suggested that they begin putting older (year 1 and 2) 5* crew into voyages so that people can start immortalizing them and moving them into the freezer. Heck, a lot of these older crew are probably no better than the modern 4* crew being released, so what's the big deal?
  • Options
    Sky CapSky Cap ✭✭✭
    Riley600 wrote: »
    I don't know why WRG lets this stand.

Making crew slots so limited makes players desperate to freeze crew which encourages buying offers, packs, citations, etc. Before they overwhelmed us with collections there was really no reason to fuse up a bad card other than to get them out of your active roster, if you had infinite slots you'd just keep those 3/5 around indefinitely.

Now that most crew are in a collection there's more of a reason to immortalize them, but there still seem to be a lot of players who aren't chasing every collection, but also don't want to airlock a gold they've already put resources into acquiring and possibly leveling.
  • Options
    Sky Cap wrote: »
    I don't know why WRG lets this stand.

Making crew slots so limited makes players desperate to freeze crew which encourages buying offers, packs, citations, etc. Before they overwhelmed us with collections there was really no reason to fuse up a bad card other than to get them out of your active roster, if you had infinite slots you'd just keep those 3/5 around indefinitely.

That's true, but it also causes other issues that I noted...people not wanting to compete in events (probably the most interesting thing left in this game for long term players), people not wanting to collect new crew (ie. buy LTOs or other special offers) and just general frustration with the game. I guess it's a constant balance for WRG what drives people to keeping paying but not get so frustrated that they leave.

• Options
    It really needs to be looked at...I've long suggested that they begin putting older (year 1 and 2) 5* crew into voyages so that people can start immortalizing them and moving them into the freezer. Heck, a lot of these older crew are probably no better than the modern 4* crew being released, so what's the big deal?

Unfortunately, Ben's last Q+A on Timelines Talks pretty resolutely put this idea to rest.
  • Options
    Here is something I have suggested before...

Historically the explanation we have been given is that crew slots are limited because of the server load when looking up crew stats.

So my suggestion is to bake immortalised stats client side (but ensure that the server won't rely on these anyway when sending shuttles, for example) and then make it so that immortalised crew do not take up a slot.

What happens with existing slots? Either keep them as they are, or reduce the base number people have. However, don't want to create an additional bottleneck for newbies, so maybe best to leave it as it is.

What happens to cryo? It can still exist, some people will still use up all of their slots, or put decrepit cards on ice permanently (looking at you Shinzon!)
  • Options
    Mirror CartmanMirror Cartman ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trollita wrote: »
    I honestly don’t know why the game simply won’t do away with slot limits now that it focuses on collections.

People have paid real world money for extra slots, buying and spending dilithium, and increasing their VIP status. If WRG get rid on slots, it will make Picard Gate look like a day on Risa. The people it will upset the most, are those that have paid the most money.

Hence WRG are tied into the current model.

• Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I maintain a lot of room, but I also keep nearly all of my completed purples frozen.

For the past two years, I've maintained a pretty good equilibrium of new crew obtained to purples completed to free slots. I'm slowly creeping up, but at a rate that would take years to close.

Thing is, I have a low rate of acquiring citations, so I only go after legendaries I really want. If I played harder I'd start closing my gap much faster.

Getting to the point I could dump all blue/green/gray cards helped a lot. But the real lift was having enough FF and 4/5 legendaries that I could freeze most of my purples.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Selene 7Selene 7 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if they remove the limitations, they can always give out dilithium based on crew slots purchased.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt they could even determine who paid full price vs sale price. And there are people who paid $ to buy something else just for the VIP points to get increased slots. How do they even begin to unwind that?
    Unfortunately there is no easy way for them to go and make crew slots unlimited now without pissing off way too many people. It would be a classic unforced error that the same people asking for crew slots would complain about in any other context.
  • Options
    Selene 7Selene 7 ✭✭✭✭
    People have still had the use of the crew slots all this time. I would be fine with some token dilithium per slot, less than what I paid originally. Or something else, even.

I suspect this is a moot point though and they're not making any changes.
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    They could always take the highest current number of slots as the last set of 5 crew slots needed to be purchased. After that the limit is removed.

Provided they do not have an issue with slots anymore.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 161 5* crew in various stages of completion in my roster. They are stuck there, unless I airlock them (which defeats the purpose of the game if I'm just airlocking crew I collect). At the glacial pace it takes to collect 5* crew, it's extremely hard to start moving the crappy 5*s out of my roster (why would I waste cites on them, unless maybe it's to fill a collection).

I don't know why WRG lets this stand. It affects so many areas of my gameplay - I don't care to compete in events because it will just saddle me with another 5* crew that's stuck on my roster and taking up a slot, I don't care to buy most weekly LTO's again for the same reason, etc.

IIRC i've suggested this before, but what if we could take *just* 1/5 crew and send them off somewhere that acts like the vault, but gives some small amount of a resource? like, if you send a 1/5 off to that place - let's just call it "rura penthe" - you get, say, 1 more quantum per day for each one sent off, in exchange for not being able to use the crew until you recall them?
  • Options
    Why would you expect to gain something (you suggest quantum) for packing them off to Rura Penthe? Surely you should pay something (like one quantum) because you have gained slots?
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. At one quantum a day per crew I could more than double my quantum rate with 1/5 crew I never use.

For 1-3/5 crew it's not that you lose access to them, it's that you free the crew slot from a crew that is never being used.

I just started rewatching DS9 and it reminded me I have Kai Opaka on my crew. I've had her for years. But I never use her and don't even think about her sitting there in a sea of 1/5.
  • Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    cmdrworf wrote: »
    WooHoo. Free crew slots and a crew slot sale tomorrow.

Just in time. My project of finishing the 3* Crew was getting me dancing right around the cap on my Quarters.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    All my 3* and under crew are on ice and most of my 4*s. I have ~60 4* still, either FF on their way to the freezer or partially fused, plus parts for fusion crew. If I could get the right Bynar to drop, I could finish my Bynars. I have 9 crew in overflow (this includes Iden x4 and Coffee Janeway x3). These slots are much appreciated.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*