Home Engineering Room
Options

"I Should Have Been a Cowboy"?

When I try to access the Vault on my new Kindle 8, I get this and have to restart.
bdk1rxhp39pb.jpg
So, who's the Toby Keith fan?
W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*

Comments

• Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Space Cowboys?
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember the song so well, but I think a Star Trek version of this would work. Perhaps "I Should Have Been a Captain" with phasers for six shooters and shuttlecraft for ponies.
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm also only showing 31 crew available for retrieval and no ISM or Polestars on my new Kindle. Deranged thing.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Looks to me like a connection issue.
    Connection too slow to load all the needed stuff.
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options

But it's all there when I use the old Kindle with less RAM on the same router.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭

But it's all there when I use the old Kindle with less RAM on the same router.

Is this still an issue for you?
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Indeed it is...if the Vault come up at all.
    *ISM counter at 0 still. Retrieval is working fine on the 7. Got a new pole star yesterday even.
    *It also sticks when I finish an Arena round and has to be closed and reopened, so I'm trying to do those on the old Kindle, but it usually crashes on that too. It plays great on the 8, but then freezes when it hails Starfleet, says there is an error and to contact CS, and goes into a loop of hailing and error message.
    *It has been taking ten minutes or more sometimes for the loading bar to come up from the Timelines splash.
    *Cash purchases are also unavailable on the 8. I know another player said the same. He's in Europe somewhere, I think.
    *Ads for Ad Warp, repeat scans, and free Dabo spins aren't working either.
    So far the 7 is still Retrieving, Vault checking, buying, playing Arena, scanning, Dabo, and doing anything that calls for quick log in.
    I already have a CS ticket in for a LTO purchase made Wednesday that I got a receipt for from Amazon, but none of the currency or crew showed up. I bought both offers on Thursday and they did fine.
    I hope you had a nice vacation. We missed you ;) We tried to be good.
    I had a conversation about vacations with our Pastor yesterday. I said that, in reality, you just do half the work before you leave, and half when you get back.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope you had a nice vacation. We missed you ;) We tried to be good.

Aww thank you :)
    And I saw, woohoo :D

Regarding the issues with the new device, it is puzzling.
    it almost feel like something is not allowing the game to load properly.
    is there any kind of security software on the device?
  • Options
    It's whatever comes installed on it. I'm still getting used to it. Timelines is the only thing I installed on it. It's more or less factory other than that.
    In App purchases and Auto Updates are enabled. I did check that. The prices for the purchases don't show and nothing happens when you click. I know one other player said they couldn't make purchases either on their 8. That was on the "Not Optimized" thread.
    Security is set the same as the other one (my 7) and parental controls are off. It is odd. I can't think of anything that would affect everything that is wonky. If must be several smaller issues. Maybe they'll just have to be looked at one at a time.
    What would prevent the prices from displaying/button from working on an offer?
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's whatever comes installed on it. I'm still getting used to it. Timelines is the only thing I installed on it. It's more or less factory other than that.
    In App purchases and Auto Updates are enabled. I did check that. The prices for the purchases don't show and nothing happens when you click. I know one other player said they couldn't make purchases either on their 8. That was on the "Not Optimized" thread.
    Security is set the same as the other one (my 7) and parental controls are off. It is odd. I can't think of anything that would affect everything that is wonky. If must be several smaller issues. Maybe they'll just have to be looked at one at a time.
    What would prevent the prices from displaying/button from working on an offer?

Lag comes to mind.
    An issue with the profile/payment information maybe?
  • Options
    I just can't figure out what is different between the 7 it works on (it does routinely crash in the middle of a transaction) and the 8 where the prices are missing and the button dead on the big offers or locked on Portal offers like the Credits.
    I'm more that willing to go back and forth with CS sorting this out if they are willing. There are more that me having little aggravations with it. I'll take it for the team.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looking on the internetzzzzzzzzzz, it seems it might be worth it to try to restart the device?
    And apparently this is done by holding the power button for 40 seconds.
  • Options
    Tried the hard reset and the basic reset through the system options. Credits are still locked and the $25 pack offer is not showing a price. Had an idea of my own. Could it have something to do with location services? I can't remember if I shared my location with STT, meaning it might have trouble figuring out what the price is, so it doesn't appear/function.
  • Options
    Well, Retrieval is about 99% just not there. It had 7 crew as the available pool, at last check. It changes in number and composition.
    Not only is it not showing my pole stars, polestars don't exist. It is empty when I click "Show Unowned" and the Celestial Market is empty.
    Still no ISM.
    The framework is there, but not the contents.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    And you are logged in in the correct account, right?

And your device is properly registered with your Amazon account?

I've not encountered a similar issue, and I am unfamiliar with Kindles, so I do not have any other ideas at this point.
  • Options
    Yep, the STT account on the 7 and 8 are identical and it was hard wired to my account at purchase. I chose the it's for me option at purchase and it basically copied my backup from my other Kindle to set itself up.
    The only difference between the two games is that purchases don't work, Retrieval is all but non-existent, Vault doesn't come up (just realized I can't thaw any frozen crew on the 8 then), ads don't appear, and the very long loading time. It's very, very strange.
    I have a bad feeling that CS is going to have to put up with me a lot. With Google Play Games messing up the phone, I'm down to Kindle, but neither Kindle plays the whole game. :p Should make my trip to the zoo fun Fri. I'll have to take both.
  • Options
    NoNameNamerNoNameNamer ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    If the request that retrieves the vault crew gets dropped, the game displays some hardcoded UI that does look like this and it cannot be closed:
    unknown.png

So a connection issue can expose this game bug where a restart is required. Ideally, this UI should never be seen by players and the right error message should pop up.

[EDIT] The game does display an error message when a network or http error is encountered. But in all other cases, including when no data is retrieved, the game goes ahead and displays this bugged UI that can't be closed. The game should check that some data was retrieved before locking out the player with no helpful information.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    CS might not have solutions either but they certainly will try, they might have knowledge I do not have.

Google Play Games should not be a problem if you do not log in into Google Play Games, the game does not require for you to login in to Google Play Games, Play Games will try to make you log in, but you can dismiss its request :)
  • Options
    If the request that retrieves the vault crew gets dropped, the game displays some hardcoded UI that does look like this and it cannot be closed:
    unknown.png

So a connection issue can expose this game bug where a restart is required. Ideally, this UI should never be seen by players and the right error message should pop up.

[EDIT] The game does display an error message when a network or http error is encountered. But in all other cases, including when no data is retrieved, the game goes ahead and displays this bugged UI that can't be closed. The game should check that some data was retrieved before locking out the player with no helpful information.

I get this *Every* time I access the Vault on the Kindle 8. It has never done this on the 7.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Shan wrote: »
    CS might not have solutions either but they certainly will try, they might have knowledge I do not have.

Google Play Games should not be a problem if you do not log in into Google Play Games, the game does not require for you to login in to Google Play Games, Play Games will try to make you log in, but you can dismiss its request :)

Thanks! I did manage to get back in on the phone by ignoring the GPG request, but it is showing 0 ISM just like the Kindle 8. I think the 7 rightly shows about 280k. I'm checking to see if it is showing any of the other errors the 8 has. If nothing else, it will give us more data to work from.

Update- Yep, Retrieval is showing just 4 crew Mobile Doc, Smitten Picard, The Keeper, and NS Tucker. No pole stars, owned or unowned, appear either.
    Cash offers are showing prices of the phone though. That is an improvement over the 8.

Second Update- Vault is unavailable on the phone too.
    I need to see is the issue with the Arena battles sticking at the end is there.
  • Options
    NoNameNamerNoNameNamer ✭✭✭✭
    Kindle Fire 8 seems plagued with connectivity issues. It’s exposing the bug I’ve mentioned and can easily cause all the other problems you’ve mentioned, but ultimately the root cause is not the game.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    My android powered phone is doing almost exactly the same things and the 7 is doing fine. Other that the prices showing on offers, it has the same problems as the Kindle 8. It's not just the Kindle.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    What type is your android phone?
    Is there maybe a data protection setting that would prevent downloads or throttle traffic?

• Options
    It's an older LG L158VL Rebel 3. I usually only use when the Kindles are being funny or when I'm needing for turn around shuttles, recall a voyage, get chronitons, basically anything time sensitive where I need mobile data. I don't use it all that often. It isn't particularly complex for a smart phone. It's actually my mom's and simple is the way to go there. I use cheap flip phones because I go through them so badly.
  • Options
    Well, the "Hailing Starfleet" /Error box loop is affecting Skirmish. The 7 is up for this event.