Home The Bridge
Options

Formula for galaxy event crew

Captain NateCaptain Nate ✭✭
edited November 2017 in The Bridge
Is there a formula out there to try and pick the best crew for galaxy events? Sometimes it boggles my mind as to why one crew gets a better bonus than others. Event crew, variants, rarity and star level, traits, skill level, etc. What matters most? I play on the cheap and don't buy the event packs, so I'm looking for the "edge" of my current crews' abilities more often than not. FF 1701 Jadzia was tops on this Fast as Light event along with Baku Worf (3 out of 4 stars). Even when I had BK Kim, I wasn't seeing him get top bonus compared to those others until he was FF. I had Rogue Harry Kim (2 out of 4) with the Desperate trait who wouldn't get a higher bonus than other variants who had no matching traits. So I'm trying to understand when traits are really important so I can load up appropriate crew going into an event. Thank you.

Best Answer

• Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017 Answer ✓
    Before a Galaxy event begins, we are informed who the event crew and additional bonus crew will be, but we are not told which crew 'traits' specifically will be called out by the recipes in the event. This being said, the best traits to have in your crew often (should be always, but there have been a few misses on this) overlap with traits that are possessed by the event crew. For example in the current event, we see recipes that require traits that exactly match Duchamps, Buster Kincaid Kim, or Honey Bare Dax.

Regarding preparing for a Galaxy event before it begins:

- bring out of your Cryostasis Vault any bonus crew you might have frozen there into your Active Crew Quarters (depending on your crew strength, this would typically only be any 4* or 3* crew; it is unlikely that 2* or 1* cadets would be useful)

- equip/level up any bonus crew you may have in your Active Crew Quarters that are not already FE (again focusing on higher rarity crew)

- outside of bonus crew, you want to have a variety of your best/strongest crew for each of the 6 skills in your Active Crew Quarters, so that you can as best as is possible for you, cover whichever skill may be required for the event recipes; for example, if you have bonus crew that cover SCI, ENG, and DIP well, then make sure you have your best non-bonus crew available for CMD, SEC and MED

- possibly the most important thing you can do is pre-farm the typical items required in Galaxy event recipes, so that your Inventory is well stocked ahead of time, and you are not running short of needed items right at the beginning of the event; this thread in the forums has a link to a spreadsheet that shows you all the items that have been used in previous Galaxy events (each event does not require the same items, but there is a common pool of items used across all Galaxy events)

Answers

• Options
    Thanks Irial. The past two Galaxy events I've been building spreadsheets based on the event crew traits to find my best guess at the trait-pair build requirements might be. Usually I've seen if you have event-crew variants with one trait match, that tends to be better than regular crew with two matches (some exclusions apply). The regular crew only seem to matter if you find a pair of traits (along with at least one of the required skills) and have no bonus crew to fit. I've had some events where Riley Fraizer did really well because of matching traits and skills even though she wasn't getting a crew bonus. The Fast as Light event I pulled in some crew with musician traits just in case that was going to be used (wasn't until Phase 2 and by then didn't really make a difference compared to event crew).
  • Options
    Oh, and thanks for the link to the pre-farm items. I tend to struggle with that as I'm trying to level up my other FF crew so that I can free up crew slots. I used to airlock a bunch of 1/4, 1/3 or 2/4 crew, but I'm trying to keep as many as possible for future events (in case they come into play) or at least in case I get them in voyages or by other means.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Irial. The past two Galaxy events I've been building spreadsheets based on the event crew traits to find my best guess at the trait-pair build requirements might be. Usually I've seen if you have event-crew variants with one trait match, that tends to be better than regular crew with two matches (some exclusions apply). The regular crew only seem to matter if you find a pair of traits (along with at least one of the required skills) and have no bonus crew to fit. I've had some events where Riley Fraizer did really well because of matching traits and skills even though she wasn't getting a crew bonus. The Fast as Light event I pulled in some crew with musician traits just in case that was going to be used (wasn't until Phase 2 and by then didn't really make a difference compared to event crew).

Except I don't do much with the traits i do the same but based mostly on the event/bonus crew. I thaw out or level the characters strongest in each skill that are bonus/event. Then move on to combinations that are more viable.
    Oh, and thanks for the link to the pre-farm items. I tend to struggle with that as I'm trying to level up my other FF crew so that I can free up crew slots. I used to airlock a bunch of 1/4, 1/3 or 2/4 crew, but I'm trying to keep as many as possible for future events (in case they come into play) or at least in case I get them in voyages or by other means.

I learned that the hard way on the 4's. Especially with main cast crew members. They will pop up as thresholds now and again and factions only give 3/4 on the threshold, which is great if you kept that 1/4 or 2/4 of them. :)
  • Options
    The past few faction events I've taken the 4* event crew and purchased a citation to get the extra star early since there was no 4th star given in the event. Not sure if others have been doing the same.

Boy I miss expedition events. Those are (were) the most fun in my book. Not sure what the hold up is to get them back. It would take maybe one ticket to get everything unlocked and then another round to figure out the best pattern for using crew, but then I'd fly through them. Not consuming of time or components.
  • Options
    Dr. AnomalyDr. Anomaly ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Boy I miss expedition events. Those are (were) the most fun in my book. Not sure what the hold up is to get them back.
    Faction = money spent on shuttle speed ups
    Galaxy = money spent on chronitons
    Expedition = money spent on... nothing, really

Expedition makes almost no money for DB.

Therefore, Expedition events are extinct
  • Options
    WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I took out of cryo a worf for two traits. If two traits actually got bonus he would have been my best. He was not. All that matters is that you have one trait.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boy I miss expedition events. Those are (were) the most fun in my book. Not sure what the hold up is to get them back.

Expedition you spend on extra tickets if enough people are playing.
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Expedition you spend on extra tickets if enough people are playing.

Oh, thats true of course. But it's really trivial compared to the other two types, which is what I was getting at.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, thats true of course. But it's really trivial compared to the other two types, which is what I was getting at.

Crew depth is really important for Expeditions. Its important for shuttles too but Expeditions are more likely to punch you in the face repeatedly with reward fails. You'll almost certainly want to buy extra tickets if your crew is not good. Having said that, its monetization is weak. Even though you can pay2win, it consumes a huge amount of time to spend money on it.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Ivanstone wrote: »

Crew depth is really important for Expeditions. Its important for shuttles too but Expeditions are more likely to punch you in the face repeatedly with reward fails. You'll almost certainly want to buy extra tickets if your crew is not good. Having said that, its monetization is weak. Even though you can pay2win, it consumes a huge amount of time to spend money on it.

Exactly. I cant imagine it produces much money for DB, especially compared to the other two types. Which makes it very obvious why we haven't seen any in a year, and probably wont see another until DB revamps them to be a much better money sink.