Home Make It So!

How to make a new event type without trying too hard, 101.

To me, its simple. There is an event that focuses on the ship battle mechanic (skirmish), there is an event that focuses on the shuttle mechanic (faction), there is an event that focuses on the item building mechanic (supply), and there *was* an event that focused on the mission mechanic (expeditions).

How about combining these into a new event type that focuses on the voyage mechanic:

1. you start a voyage like normal, however, it has 3x the normal amount of crew. Regular bonuses for trait matches for crew and ship to get bonus AM.
2. dilemmas every 30 minutes, BUT: THE DILEMMAS ARE A SNIPPET FROM THE OTHER EVENT TYPES! perhaps, the dilemma is an approaching ship that you have to skirmish, so you pick your battle stations and attack! or, perhaps its a shuttle mission, so you pick your crew and send the shuttle (with time boosts or other boosts), you dont "PASS" the dilemma until the shuttle returns. Or, maybe its repairing damage from a battle, asteroid, etc. (supply mission), so you build the parts and move on. or maybe its an away mission? (expeditions).
3. dilemmas can be pre-programmed, but unknown to users. Bonuses can be applied to event special crew, etc.
4. once the voyage goes, it cannot be modified until it returns
5. event points for "light years traveled", with bonus event points from passed dilemmas
6. Antimatter refills for dilithium as normal, fast recall as normal
7. if you recall a voyage, you can send a new one during the same event.
8. difficulty settings are already built in for dilemmas with the above methods, you just follow the normal difficulty tree and apply missions from that tree to the voyage dillemas. you can scale them in difficulty as light years are traveled, forcing a recall/antimatter refill

just a basic outline. But to me this would create a fun new event type, require engagement from players every 30 minutes, and it would be a BREATH OF FRESH AIR. and since everything is already in the game, programming would be as simple as it could be.

Comments

• Admirable BernabyAdmirable Bernaby ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Hmmm. Sounds intriguing. We do need something new to do. It is getting boring doing the same thing all the time. I mean, skirmish and Galaxy are nothing more than click fests once you reach a certain level of crew and ships. PLEASE, please give us something new and different to do. Or at least bring back expeditions.
  • I really like this idea. I think it is a great way of creating a new event type, using what we already have. The dilemmas being unpredictable and utilizing different aspects makes it refreshing.
    I hope this gets more attention!