Home Make It So!
Options

🌌 [Images inside] - Gauntlet needs a shakedown!

Ignoring the already well known issue with being defeated by an inferior opponent, this is a separate issue where all 6 of your opponents are the same & of the highest ability.
Unless you have the same crew member as those you are facing giving you a 50/50 chance, you have zero hope of winning. Without having enough merits to reshuffle the opponents you are at a dead end and set up to fail & or demolish ones winning streak. To wait for the following day to earn more merits from completing daily reward tasks is ridiculous,
the Gauntlet period could well be over by then.
I implore the production team to once again devote time to giving Gauntlet an overhaul.
mafwsh0fco0z.png
cfnog3ea1nmy.png
- Joined game 6th March 2016
- Capt Level 99
- VIP Level 13
- Fleet Admiral [New Black Vipers]
- Starbase Level 134
- Starbase Rooms Completed 15/15
- Crew Slots 295
- Immortalized Crew 639
- Total Crew collected 882/1179
- Crew collections maxed out 7/45
- Galaxy Map Stars 1269/1269
- Cadet Mission Stars 225/225
- Factions Honored 15/15
- Achievements completed 15/16
- Ships maxed out 53/78

Comments

• Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    New players such as T'Shan, a friend of mine from Germany, stand no chance in the Gauntlet even in ranks 150 to 200 region ... everyone literally has got those cards already, and she entered the gauntlet over 8 hours after reset.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still an issue, but something I think that can be addressed by simply making the last opponent selected rerolled til a different character is selected.
    This has been suggested before, and in some cases even argued against by vocal members of the playerbase---

Unfortunately it does fit with DBs RNG tactics which give for some people frequent beholds of all FFed characters etc.
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    Still an issue, but something I think that can be addressed by simply making the last opponent selected rerolled til a different character is selected.
    This has been suggested before, and in some cases even argued against by vocal members of the playerbase---

Depends on what kind of reroll we're talking about. I have argued against various suggestions where a selected opponent doesn't put up their best defender. When MED/SEC is the skill combo, you bet I want my Phlox defending for me instead of Locutus.

If we're talking about rerolling the opponent until someone is found who has a different best defender, that's different. The problem there though is that it doesn't help in the extreme (albeit maybe theoretical) case where everyone has the same best defender.

In truth though, the problem isn't just "wall of <insert character here>" so much as "all opponents I can't beat. Would we be happy if instead of wall of Mirror Phlox it was a combination of Mirror and Defensive Phlox? The characters are different, but the effect is the same.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dralix wrote: »
    If we're talking about rerolling the opponent until someone is found who has a different best defender, that's different. The problem there though is that it doesn't help in the extreme (albeit maybe theoretical) case where everyone has the same best defender.

One of the biggest issue with this "extreme" is consider the following gauntlet:

Players 1-199 have Mirror Phlox
    Player 200 has Guinan

Every single time a player has MED/SEC rolled, they will be presented 5 Mirror Phlox, chosen from 1-199 and then player 200 is presented because they have a different character.

It actually becomes a bigger advantage for players to herd together and use all of the same characters because you will be presented as a target less often.
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    New players such as T'Shan, a friend of mine from Germany, stand no chance in the Gauntlet even in ranks 150 to 200 region ... everyone literally has got those cards already, and she entered the gauntlet over 8 hours after reset.

I do not think it is unreasonable for a new player to be at a disadvantage against a player who has been playing a long time, and I think you understand it would probably upset a few older players if a new player was on equal footing with them.
    I also know some players have suggested separate Gauntlet levels similar to the Arena, where you could only use 3* or 4* crew, but as has been noted by others, this would not change the reality that players in each 'division' would flock to using the same best characters.

So ...

To give new players an opportunity to be able to enjoy the Gauntlet, how about instead we have separate Gauntlet Divisions created based on one's Captain Level? The Admiral Division could be Captain Level 70+, the Captain Division would be 60-69, etc. down to the Cadet Division being 1-10. Speaking in broad general terms (there are exceptions to every rule), a player's Captain Level does roughly correspond to how long they have been actively playing the game. Therefore this setup would help to keep newer players from being frustrated having to face mostly older players who already possess many/all of the best Gauntlet characters.
    It would not surprise me if the loudest complaint to this suggestion were to come from some older players ... because they don't want the newbies they are picking on in Gauntlets taken away from them.
  • Options
    I think I would rather see gauntlets divided by promotion/relegation. Win? You go up to a harder, more rewarding and competitive bracket. Lose? You drop down to an easier one. Middle? Congrats, stay there.
  • Options
    I think I would rather see gauntlets divided by promotion/relegation. Win? You go up to a harder, more rewarding and competitive bracket. Lose? You drop down to an easier one. Middle? Congrats, stay there.

Yes, that sounds like a novel idea. Kind of like the 3 divisions in Battle arena. Commander, Captain & Admiral. A player could choose which division to participate and only compete in one specific division gauntlet at a time. Each divisio
    - Joined game 6th March 2016
    - Capt Level 99
    - VIP Level 13
    - Fleet Admiral [New Black Vipers]
    - Starbase Level 134
    - Starbase Rooms Completed 15/15
    - Crew Slots 295
    - Immortalized Crew 639
    - Total Crew collected 882/1179
    - Crew collections maxed out 7/45
    - Galaxy Map Stars 1269/1269
    - Cadet Mission Stars 225/225
    - Factions Honored 15/15
    - Achievements completed 15/16
    - Ships maxed out 53/78
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leagues would be sweet, or level-based gauntlets (1-20, 21-40, 41-60, 61-80 and 81-100). Both have advantages and disadvantages. As in if you're Level 61, but F2P user, you might not win a single battle. Advantage though is if you push early on, you could win almost any battle between Level 1 and 40.

As for leagues, you would be facing similarly skilled captains with similarly skilled crew. Your win-loss balance would be about even. If there were leagues though, the rewards would have to be higher based on the league you're in.
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    I heard an idea given previously about having a star-cap on the gauntlet, thus making people choose crew from all levels, not just every 5* you can muster.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    However, that would "force" people to keep crew in their roster they would usually keep in the freezer, especially 1's through 3's. For the newer players, this could be a good chance to get at least some points and rewards out of the gauntlet.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Star capped gauntlet would be the worst due to the additional crew space pressure it would be.

Promotion/relegation setup should be purely performance based. Win, up. Lose, down. Doesnt matter what your captain level is and no way to directly opt into a higher or lower division. Rewards just need to scale with division to discourage intentional tanking.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Star capped gauntlet would be the worst due to the additional crew space pressure it would be.

Promotion/relegation setup should be purely performance based. Win, up. Lose, down. Doesnt matter what your captain level is and no way to directly opt into a higher or lower division. Rewards just need to scale with division to discourage intentional tanking.

I like this idea. Just like faction events. You fail some in a row you get kicked down to and easier yet less VP level. You succeed some and you get kicked up