Home The Bridge
Options

Event Crew hasn't been good...

p377y7h33fp377y7h33f ✭✭✭
edited November 2017 in The Bridge
I see it in our fleet chat all the time. "Underwhelming rewards", "unremarkable crew", "not a must have", and that's exactly how I feel. I've been skipping events month after month for this reason. Pack-only-crew, however, is breaking all boundaries of a steady power creep.

The new Phlox and a few more recent pack only crew are excellent gauntlet fighters. 1/5's from new packs get beast base stats, while most event 1/5's and 4/4's are meh.

I still play the game moderately, but not events. Went for Honey Bare on one of my accounts for no other reason than why not. The last decent gauntlet crew that I recall being an event reward was fake Geordie. Voyages turned out to be a rip off with the 4* rewards nerf shortly after launch. No reason to compete for mediocre crew other than for voyage variety, so I keep on passing.

Can you give me a reason to play your annoying events, DB?

Comments

• Options
    Ignoring re-runs, every event reward 5* has had an FF/FE base of 1100+, which is really strong compared to the average 5* in the game. A lot of them have been two-skill crew and have had lesser proficiency marks, making them less useful for the Gauntlet, but the Gauntlet is just one area of the game. We've sort of reached the reverse of the way things used to be - people cared a lot about base and had no time for proficiency, now it's the other way around. I care about both, and I imagine a lot of other players share that viewpoint.

As for desirability, that's always subjective, but I don't blame DB for pushing Discovery crew. As much as the series has received mixed reviews, it's current and those characters aren't in the game yet. I was pretty happy to get my Mudd and Lorca, and even if I weren't I would be understanding of people who were fans of the new series and wanted those characters. Outside of Discovery events/reruns, both Honey Bare Jadzia and Leonardo da Vinci are crew that have been requested time and again on the forums and I expect demand is decent.

As for whether events are desirable or not, I've long had issues with Galaxy events (since they steal resources you use to level crew) but I've made my piece with playing for the thresholds and then sitting out the rest and working on leveling crew. At this point, I actually kind of look forward to the week off. There's absolutely no reason not to play Faction events - you're running shuttles anyway, so why not collect some gravy?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that OP's view on this subject is substantially different than my own and wanted to add a counterbalance to his complaint.
  • Options
    This Sisko1This Sisko1 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obviously shuttle rewards and crew need to have a high base. Same as galaxy. Imagine a reward like the first Seven of Nine, with such a low base a lot of people would complain since others would beat their event crew. It's a catch 22.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven’t done much event wise lately either. I was all on board with Discovery month and played all month long. Since then I haven’t put my all into event cuz I’m not interested in the crew. It’s not the stats that interest or disinterest me, it’s the actual crew. I haven’t been a big fan of any event crew since Discovery. I am not lamenting the choices at all. I totally get it. Like with Leonardo DaCaprio here. (Archie Bunker type joke). I have read the requests for his introduction and I understand that for some reason many felt we HAD to have a SCI MED ENG. character. I personally see this as a Star Trek game and I see a certain goofiness to sending a renessance painter in a shuttle mission to face Klingons. For this I don’t want the guy but I totally get that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. I simply wait until there is an event with crew I desire and play those events. But you will never catch me on here bashing the choice of event crew because I know I’m one player out of hundreds of thousands. Event crew choices are not going to be Schmallen specific. I am content and understanding that I must simply wait it out and pounce when it’s my kinda crew.
  • Options
    The fraction of a percent of the entire player base that gets to FF their legendaries from events, aka the whales, are probably happy with the stats, and the stats is all this post is about. 1100+ for event crew and 1300+ for new pack crew is quite a difference, No? This translates to 700+ vs 900+ for 1/5 stats, making all these event 1/5's far worse than dozens of recent FF purples with in the 800's and 900's base range.

You did notice my post mentioning 1/5's and not 5/5's, didn't you, Nairne? For thousands of people playing the game 1 of 5 stars is as far as it goes with legendary event rewards.

It's simple. The event crew is weak. The for sale crew is strong. Hence the event crew is not worth the effort as far stats comparison. Requests and favorites are a different story. I'm not talking about sentimental desirability. Pure stats.

And Dralix, I have practically quit. To me the most attractive part of the game was always thecrew progress, as in strengthening each skill with each event, whether it's base for shuttles or proficiency for the gauntlet. I cannot do that anymore without buying dozens of new packs offering an average of 3.3% success per 10x pull. No, thanks. I still have fun using my crew in parts of the game, but I don't feel like I'm achieving any goals, and that's why sometimes I don't log in for days.

Why get Leo, if there's a dozen crew with stronger SCI + ENG combo, most of them super rare? His MED can be ignored. Not a must have. And temporal 7 is original release crew, I believe, with rock bottom stats. It's like they're trying to get us not to play.

And yes, top 1000 in a faction event still requires dedication. With a job and a family it can be tough log into the game once a day.
  • Options
    V.V. ✭✭✭✭
    For me, the only reasons I'd play a shuttle event are for a character I really really want (for fun).

Or if the 1/5 is 1000+ with the starbase bonus. Or 700+ in one stat with 3 stats in proficiency.

Leonardo is not a must have for me for the fun factor nor for the stats factor. I would do it for galaxy or expedition.
    Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, is all ancient history. Then, before you can blink an eye, suddenly, it threatens to start all over again."
  • Options
    p377y7h33f wrote: »
    You did notice my post mentioning 1/5's and not 5/5's, didn't you, Nairne? For thousands of people playing the game 1 of 5 stars is as far as it goes with legendary event rewards.

My 1/5 Lorca, 2/5 Mudd and 4/4 Stamets are all among my best characters by their primary stats, to say nothing of the 5/5 T'Kuvma I topped up with honour after the DIS mega-event. I'm VIP 10, so it's not like I'm shelling out for the $25, $50 or $100 offers.

And while Culber has a massive base and Defensive Phlox a massive proficiency, paid packs have a lot of lesser stats characters too. Niners Sisko, Smitten Picard and Ambassador Soval are all in the range (or in some cases worse) than recent event rewards.

Moreover, I don't begrudge players that spend lots of money the occasional advantage; they subsidize the game for everyone else. I also don't begrudge people who are fed up with the game and view it as work and are near their end point.

I didn't see my view of the game in your original post and still don't, so I wanted to chime in to offer another viewpoint on the subject.
  • Options
    If we had OP gauntlet crew as event rewards we would only end up with walls of the same crew in gauntlets even faster...

After that event with Mirror Phlox as a threshold reward we had constant walls of Phlox’s...
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Events are meant to extort money out of you. They have nothing to do with you having fun. You want to do well in shuttle events, you better have a very good crew and don't even think about having a night of uninterrupted sleep (or pay to make up for sleeping), but even that won't bring you anywhere near the very top. You want to do well in Galaxy events, you better pay up dilithium big time in order to have a two week long voyage ready to collect or outright buy chrons with dilithium. You got cash, you win!

The people complaining the least are the people paying up the most. Since gaming underwent a dramatic change in recent years from having skill and showing enthusiasm to benefiting those who simply have the deepest pockets, it's quite natural that events are a drag.

I play the game because I like ST and I like my fleetmates. Unnecessary comment removed, please refer to the Community Guidelines before posting. ˜Shan I don't try to take it too seriously, although shuttle events are pretty frustrating with their too high failing rate. Galaxy at least are planable...I play until the last threshold and then quit.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    What it takes to win isn’t a consequence of the game it’s a consequence of those who play it. If everyone played events the same way you do it wouldn’t take all of that to rank high. You do have a point with the money thing. Start out the event right off the bat with a $100 offer. I approach that the other way though. If there’s crew I want in the event, I don’t purchase them beforehand to give me an advantage on winning the crew I just purchased. I play the event with all my resources to win that event crew. It’s really doesn’t take that much of a commitment to score top 1000 to get the FF 4 star and one 5 star. I also agree with many who say the reward structure should be changed. My suggestion is this:
    501-1000=1/5
    251-500=2/5
    26-250=3/5
    11-25=4/5
    1-10=5/5
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    I also agree with many who say the reward structure should be changed. My suggestion is this:
    501-1000=1/5
    251-500=2/5
    26-250=3/5
    11-25=4/5
    1-10=5/5

Why not percentages as in the arena? But whatever the suggestion, nothing is ever going to happen. To even get 2/5 (which isn't even that good usually) you have to be a millionaire already and DB likes it that way. Really strong 5* will always be in buy-only packs anyway. If you want them get out your CC and dish out 300+ bucks.

Does anybody remember the days when you paid $40-50 for a game and then owned it and there were no follow-up costs?
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion is this:
    501-1000=1/5
    251-500=2/5
    26-250=3/5
    11-25=4/5
    1-10=5/5

I think that is a bit too generous, I would probably take extra Premium Pulls or even honour. Most of the top 10 crew are probably using FFFE 5* characters anyway so another 5/5* would probably just be a duplicate.

There is a massive discrepancy between finishing between 25th and 1000 as the rewards are essentially the same and do not match the outlay.

Jim
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    Hope_F wrote: »
    Does anybody remember the days when you paid $40-50 for a game and then owned it and there were no follow-up costs?

I remember the days of paying £3-4 for a game. Going down Underwood's on a Friday afternoon after school, sitting on the floor and going through the tape racks to see what he had new in. Then back in time for tea and Knightmare on the telly. Good times.
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    Never before in the history of the Galaxy, Games where as expensive as when they became Free to Pay, err, Play, I mean, Free to Play!
    Live long and prosper.
    Not a Native English speaker - be lenient toward me
  • Options
    I think you were right the first time ;)
    Level 99. Latest Immortal (957): Chancellor Gowron - October 2023.
  • Options
    This is a test, please do not stand up.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amongst recent event characters:
    Duchamps, Klingon O'Brien - Off stat DIP characters that will be used in later events.
    Honey Bare - My best SCI voyager.
    DaVinci - SCIMEDENGeer!
    Tactical Burnham - Solid voyager.
    Ruk, Buster Kim - Good but unfortunately not quite good enough.
    AnboRiker - Ok, he **tsk tsk** but at least he's good enough to get me a better character at a later date.
    Prisoner O'Brien - Solid for Gauntlet and Voyages.
    ZOdo - An Odo that counts as a Dax and an Odo with really good DIP? I'll take that.
    Barak - Really good CMD for a 4*.
    T'Mir, Arex, Miral - Nothing great here but they gave me dilithium so no real complaints.

Discovery month was sort of good. Unfortunately too many of them have two stats which reduces their flexability. Lorca I still use a fair bit at 1/5.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Hope_FHope_F ✭✭✭
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    Duchamps, Klingon O'Brien - Off stat DIP characters that will be used in later events.
    DaVinci - SCIMEDENGeer!
    AnboRiker - Ok, he **** but at least he's good enough to get me a better character at a later date.
    ZOdo - An Odo that counts as a Dax and an Odo with really good DIP? I'll take that.
    T'Mir, Arex, Miral - Nothing great here but they gave me dilithium so no real complaints.

Discovery month was sort of good. Unfortunately too many of them have two stats which reduces their flexability. Lorca I still use a fair bit at 1/5.

You can go back 6 month without finding one solid (attainable) MED crew.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hope_F wrote: »
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    DaVinci - SCIMEDENGeer!
    AnboRiker - Ok, he **** but at least he's good enough to get me a better character at a later date.

You can go back 6 month without finding one solid (attainable) MED crew.

You can go back and watch 6 series of Star Trek and not see many MED characters. Its almost like the original material has an effect on games derived from that license.

Also Katra McCoy and President of Earth. Author Doctor isn't so great but he's still a main cast character that's still ok for DIP/MED voyages.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim Steele wrote: »
    My suggestion is this:
    501-1000=1/5
    251-500=2/5
    26-250=3/5
    11-25=4/5
    1-10=5/5

I think that is a bit too generous, I would probably take extra Premium Pulls or even honour. Most of the top 10 crew are probably using FFFE 5* characters anyway so another 5/5* would probably just be a duplicate.

There is a massive discrepancy between finishing between 25th and 1000 as the rewards are essentially the same and do not match the outlay.

Jim

I am probably in the minority but I don’t buy event crew I try to win them. I finished 8th in the Captain Lorca event and I did not have a Captain Lorca until I collected my winnings.

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    My suggestion is this:
    501-1000=1/5
    251-500=2/5
    26-250=3/5
    11-25=4/5
    1-10=5/5

Jim

I am probably in the minority but I don’t buy event crew I try to win them. I finished 8th in the Captain Lorca event and I did not have a Captain Lorca until I collected my winnings.

Its a little different with Galaxies or Hybrids. I got my Lorca largely on the strength of solid shuttle placement but its quite possible to farm your way to victory even as VIP0.
  • Options
    I went apesh*t whenever they introduce Dax/Sisko/Kira. Especially with the highly-sough Honey Bare to round out that series of characters. Very happy to have two immortalized versions of her. ANOTHER Dax coming next week has me excited again, even if it's a Galaxy. Looking forward to more Discovery characters. This mirror Picard is badass, could be the recurring...
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Might I note that for the players who are not in for the crew, the immortalizations, but in for the competitive part of the game, there is always this website: http://ssr.izausomecreations.com/crewcost.html - here, you can always check just how good a newly added crew is just a day after DB add them. There you can easily check just which super rare and/or legendary is good enough for your high standards. While I play for the immortals and the events, I have used this website countless times to decide whether I want to go the extra mile to get someone.

This game can be played in so many ways - you just need to find your own and stick with it. The fact that you want to play the game in a certain way, doesn't mean that everyone should conform to your guidelines or do the same as you do. The best thing you can do, if you enjoy the game, is find your place in it and keep doing what makes you happy. If you can't, or you feel like you're burned out, that's usually the time to quit your fleet, and take a break from the game.

Let's not forget that DB is also forced to cater to those multiple playstyles as best they can.

It is as simple as that, in my opinion.
  • Options
    ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    My suggestion is this:
    501-1000=1/5
    251-500=2/5
    26-250=3/5
    11-25=4/5
    1-10=5/5

Jim

Looks about right to me, especially with the influx of players. It takes a lot of endeavour to get to those ranks. Currently there is no incentive to be rank 200 or so instead of rank 1000. After significant effort over the past several months to be in the mid to low hundreds in rank, there is essentially no more reward than finishing top 900 or so.

Would even go farther; I've been thinking top 2000 should get 1/5, top 750 2/5, top 250 3/5 etc.

The reason I opt for more stars on the featured crew instead of more premium pulls, is because the stars are something concrete to work towards. Premium pulls are sketchy at best, and often lead to player frustration and disappointment from duplicates.

If a player has bought (or has from other previous means) immortalized legendary event crew beforehand, it's up to them whether to push for top ranks towards second copies of those crew or not.

But for many, effort towards ranking in the event is our only opportunity to obtain those crew; they should be the main feature in the loot table for those who are playing for them.

You can get event crew to go for a certain rank, knowing that it will result in copies
    - or - go for a certain rank to get the event crew.