Home Make It So!
Options

Allow for a Rear-Admiral in Each Fleet

It would be nice if a Rear-Admiral could be appointed within each fleet and be able to carry out the duties of the Admiral should that person be unable to carry out those duties (or do them concurrently as it can be a challenging position).

Not sure if it has been done, but it would also be nice if anyone holding the rank of Admiral could disband any squad without having to expel the squad leader. Some people forget at times, go on vacation, etc.; and for fleets that reform squads frequently, it can be confusing.
“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...

Comments

• Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    More like Vice Admiral then? I would actually like to see all Starfleet ranks in a fleet, from Ensign all the way up to Admiral or Fleet Admiral (if someone wants such a high rank, lol). That would be very sweet!
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    I'm trying to figure out what is so difficult about being an admiral and what powers admirals have that officers don't that more than one person needs to have. I can just imagine how awesome it would be with 2 admirals with a disagreement. I've kept an active fleet going with 50 members. We are now able to set the minimum level to 40, and we fill the fleet back up within 1-2 days whenever someone gets kicked out for being inactive for 10 days. Unless you run your fleet like a Nazi, I'm not sure exactly where the large amount of effort is being spent doing admiral-related stuff.
  • Options
    SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Nicole K wrote: »
    I'm trying to figure out what is so difficult about being an admiral and what powers admirals have that officers don't that more than one person needs to have. I can just imagine how awesome it would be with 2 admirals with a disagreement. I've kept an active fleet going with 50 members. We are now able to set the minimum level to 40, and we fill the fleet back up within 1-2 days whenever someone gets kicked out for being inactive for 10 days. Unless you run your fleet like a Nazi, I'm not sure exactly where the large amount of effort is being spent doing admiral-related stuff.

Well, I have known a few individuals in fleets where the admiral has gone a.w.o.l. A Vice-Admiral could step in in such a situation and continue in that leadership role for the fleet. Also, as pointed out, we personally tend to rotate squads for every event. At times, people forget to disband, and it can cause confusion as people start to fill in squads from previous events (would be nice for an Admiral to be able to disband). See, nothing Nazi-like... I wouldn’t postulate that every fleet runs like your fleet. But, kudos for making it run smoothly.

“A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Options
    Nicole K wrote: »

Well, I have known a few individuals in fleets where the admiral has gone a.w.o.l. A Vice-Admiral could step in in such a situation and continue in that leadership role for the fleet. Also, as pointed out, we personally tend to rotate squads for every event. At times, people forget to disband, and it can cause confusion as people start to fill in squads from previous events (would be nice for an Admiral to be able to disband). See, nothing Nazi-like... I wouldn’t postulate that every fleet runs like your fleet. But, kudos for making it run smoothly.

if your admiral goes inactive then you just have to email support and they will let you designate a new one. when starbases started and admirals and officers actually started to matter, all admirals and officers in the fleet had been inactive for over a year. All but 14 players were also inactive and clogging the slots. With 1 email, I was made the admiral and we dumped the inactive players and turned it into a decent fleet fairly quickly. I will admit to probably sending 50,000 invites during the first couple weeks, but it did produce a decent fleet.
  • Options
    Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Also, as pointed out, we personally tend to rotate squads for every event. At times, people forget to disband, and it can cause confusion as people start to fill in squads from previous events (would be nice for an Admiral to be able to disband). See, nothing Nazi-like... I wouldn’t postulate that every fleet runs like your fleet. But, kudos for making it run smoothly.

Why on earth would you rotate squads? I really don't understand the benefit of doing that. I'm not being critical, I'm just honestly curious. It just seems like a lot of hassle that doesn't serve much purpose. Squad rewards from events aren't significant enough to worry much about getting them.

I guess I just see fleets as a way to earn honor hitting targets and building the starbase. I am in a squad that does try and do well in the events, but there's no benefit for the fleet doing well in events. That means I don't care much about how the other squads are doing in the event. I just want them to make their daily targets, which produce honor, and make their starbase donations.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    We rotate squads to help lower level players earn better rewards. Further, depending upon the crew each individual has, squads can look very different depending upon how grouping works out and what event crew are.

We do care about how members do in events and try to help as best we can. And honestly, tickets can take awhile, as threads on here attest. For us, a big part of the game is the fleet, socialization, and helping out. Squads are a way we do that.

To help with that, I would like to see a Vice-Admiral added with the suggestions I added.
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You said "Rear Admiral"... huhuhuhh...

5Och8ws.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    We rotate squads to help lower level players earn better rewards. Further, depending upon the crew each individual has, squads can look very different depending upon how grouping works out and what event crew are.

We do care about how members do in events and try to help as best we can. And honestly, tickets can take awhile, as threads on here attest. For us, a big part of the game is the fleet, socialization, and helping out. Squads are a way we do that.

To help with that, I would like to see a Vice-Admiral added with the suggestions I added.

Wow, you are very much more involved in the activities of your fleet members than I am. It sounds like you guys have meetings and exchange notes. To each his own, I guess. I try to not have newer players in my fleet because I've noticed about half of players under level 40 quit playing and go inactive pretty quickly. Only allowing players level 40 or higher has cut down on the number of people that join and go inactive significantly, I have cut the amount of kicking and replacing more than in half since we made that change.

If there were actually some tangible benefit related to fleet rank I'd care about it. But even running a fleet where the only enforced policy is don't go inactive for 10 days, we still earn a fleet rank between 150-600 depending on the week. Last week the fleet had at least 5 players finish in the top 1000, while about half the fleet chose to either just clear thresholds or just not do the event.

That said, I really don't think that your rear admiral idea is a good one. It doesn't take long to email support if your admiral goes inactive. Having to wait a day or two for them to get back to you isn't really the end of the world. If your admiral is having problems disbanding your squads you can either have the squad members or squad leaders leave them voluntarily, or you can designate someone else as admiral who has more time and is willing to do what you would like done.

Honestly, I really think you're making things way more complicated for yourself than necessary.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Thanks for the dispensable bio on your fleet. I get it, you think the idea is frivolous. To each, his or her own. I’ll make sure to pass that in a note at our clandestine meeting.
  • Options
    Thanks for the dispensable bio on your fleet. I get it, you think the idea is frivolous. To each, his or her own. I’ll make sure to pass that in a note at our clandestine meeting.

I was just trying to show that you can actually have a fleet without somehow turning it into a full-time job. Yes, i think it is unnecessary. Yes, I think it's silly to turn a fleet into some kind of super organized activity.

I honestly just don't understand why anyone would want to create all that extra unnecessary work for themselves that you describe. I know I wouldn't want to participate in anything at all like that. I'm interested in playing the game, collecting cards that strengthen my crew, and earning honor to finish fusing my crew.

I wasn't trying to be mean and I'm sorry that you seem to be taking what I said that way. I just honestly don't get it. It is so far removed from how I play the game I just don't get the point. I can think of about 9000 other things I'd like to have rather than this. I don't even know why it interests me enough to post on it.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    So noted... it’s not how you play the game. And, I don’t take anything you say as mean. Amusing, would be a more apt description. I get what you are saying, yet you remain dedicated to reiteration.
  • Options
    I was actually hoping to learn why you would want to do it that way. That's kind of why I explained to you how I do things. And repeatedly said I don't get it. I meant for you to pick up on the subtext and explain the point and or benefit from doing all that reorganization every week.

That's why I keep repeating myself because all you say is that's great, but you don't say anything about the benefits of the way you do things. I was actually genuinely interested. I am not going to start micromanagement of my fleet, but I have always been interested in why people do it when there are no rewards or benefits associated with fleet rank or how a fleet finishes in an event. To me, no benefit means no point.

• Options
    I am the Admiral of Fleet Mariners. I just check the fleet every time I go into the game. Not hard to manage the fleet.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Ok, I will try it again. For faction events, we rotate squads based on who has the best event crew. By doing that, we can stick lower level members in squads with good “shares” helping them to do a little better in rewards.

The reason I would like a Vice-Admiral rank (and I am not saying to force that on everyone, just allow squads to designate such a position if they choose...as opposed to just another general “officer” title), is that at times Admiral’s have gone a.w.o.l. I understand that an email can be sent, and a response would come shortly thereafter. But I feel it would be nice to handle it in-house and quickly.

The other item I would like, is for Admirals to be able to disband squads if needed. I know in our case, rotation can be chaotic (and we invite that cup of crazy by doing it that way), but people forget to disband, or go on vacation, or whatever other reason there is...it would be nice if an Admiral could just clear old squads without booting someone from the fleet.

Hopefully, this is more clear. I think there is a benefit, albeit a small one.
  • Options
    Ok, I will try it again. For faction events, we rotate squads based on who has the best event crew. By doing that, we can stick lower level members in squads with good “shares” helping them to do a little better in rewards.

The reason I would like a Vice-Admiral rank (and I am not saying to force that on everyone, just allow squads to designate such a position if they choose...as opposed to just another general “officer” title), is that at times Admiral’s have gone a.w.o.l. I understand that an email can be sent, and a response would come shortly thereafter. But I feel it would be nice to handle it in-house and quickly.

The other item I would like, is for Admirals to be able to disband squads if needed. I know in our case, rotation can be chaotic (and we invite that cup of crazy by doing it that way), but people forget to disband, or go on vacation, or whatever other reason there is...it would be nice if an Admiral could just clear old squads without booting someone from the fleet.

Hopefully, this is more clear. I think there is a benefit, albeit a small one.

Thank you for clarifying. I still don't think that we need anymore admirals. Officers can do almost anything an admiral can do except kick out admirals. You can currently have as many officers as you would like. I do think it would be nice if officers/admirals had the power to promote/demote squad leaders. Currently when a squad leader goes inactive kicking him out of the fleet disbands the squad. Since I don't dictate the behavior of my fleet, that means sometimes new squads are very slow to form back up. It doesn't really matter that much overall. (In fact I've currently got 4 players with very solid event scores that choose to just hangout on the bottom of the list and not join any squad. They contribute to building the starbase and meeting daily targets, so I consider them in good standing despite not being in a squad.) But it would be less disruptive to others in the squad if the squad didn't just suddenly disband.
  • Options
    I agree, I just let things run them selves, but depending on a persons level aft 7 or 14 days of inactivity they get dismissed. Last week I dismissed 2 squad leaders.
  • Options
    TBH , officers should be Rear Admirals and the leader a fleet admiral . Since all members are captains by default