Home The Bridge
Options

RIP Louise Fletcher

StarTrek.com reported Loiuse Fletcher(Kia Winn) died yesterday.

https://www.startrek.com/news/remembering-louise-fletcher

Comments

• Options
    DScottHewittDScottHewitt ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sad news.
    What if I told you not every single nit needs to be picked literally to death?
  • Options
    Rest in peace.
  • Options
    DaiMon Bok wrote: »
    Probably THE BEST portrayal of a complex villain character ever. Her Winn wasn't just someone you hated, she was loathed! And yet, you could see the mortal flaws in her that made her ending even more tragic, because it was possible to feel a bit of empathy for her.

She did that part so well so many times. Kai Winn. Nurse Rached. The school teacher in that sci fi movie where she ate the frog.
  • Options
    She did that part so well so many times. Kai Winn. Nurse Rached. The school teacher in that sci fi movie where she ate the frog.

Yeah, he had a real talent for characters who were more subtly evil.

Well, I haven't seen Invaders from Mars so I don't know how subtle she was there. But Winn and Ratched both knew how to hide behind a smile. Apparently she herself was a very warm and friendly person, despite her talent for portraying such insidious characters.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    She was full of win(n)! Rest in peace, dear Louise. <3
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")
  • Options
    Trek1966Trek1966 ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Rest in Peace Louise Fletcher, one of the best actresses ever. :'(
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only Star Trek villain that actually unsettled me. I was excited to freeze the 3* Winn so I wouldn't have to see that smile.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve been asking for years for a version of Winn in the classic golden Kai dress. It’s a crime that such a pivotal character seen in 14 episodes and crucial to the entirety of DS9 still only has 2 variants (Vedek and Finale), the same amount side characters like Craft, Miss Q and Kamala have. I’m deeply hoping to see something done for her after the Pathfinder Uhura event wraps up in a few days.
  • Options
    Yeah. Craft's one appearance was even in a "Short Trek" instead of a full length regular episode!

A memorial Event for her would be nice. And the Gold Robes would be perfect!

ba1lniu9q49x.png
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So instead of doing anything, even simple acknowledgement of this passing, they release a new pack for “Untimely Ends” to add yet another barely known side character to the game, and don’t even put in the existing Winn from the scene where she literally “Untimely Ends”? There has never been a release of a single Winn to Timelines since the first year of the game. How is this actually possible? I am truly disappointed.
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine new characters are planned months ahead of time, and sales weeks ahead. Changing something like this may be difficult, and even if they did some folks would call them out for trying to profit from her loss.
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m holding out hopes for an Uhura style event, but the sheer unfortunateness of the pack/name/timing was really a bit much. Also it’s been 6 years with no releases of a Winn, there could have been a version of this important character in the pipeline somewhere that could have been swapped in. PORTHOS, a dog, has as many versions as Winn Adami, the leader of Bajor and major antagonist of an entire series.
  • Options
    I imagine new characters are planned months ahead of time, and sales weeks ahead. Changing something like this may be difficult, and even if they did some folks would call them out for trying to profit from her loss.

We knew that Hoya was in the pipeline when they added flavor text to Mommy Horta that belonged more in line with her. So, definitely been in the pipelines for a while.
    Torias327 wrote: »
    I’m holding out hopes for an Uhura style event, but the sheer unfortunateness of the pack/name/timing was really a bit much. Also it’s been 6 years with no releases of a Winn, there could have been a version of this important character in the pipeline somewhere that could have been swapped in. PORTHOS, a dog, has as many versions as Winn Adami, the leader of Bajor and major antagonist of an entire series.

Pack name was probably in place weeks ago when Hoya "contaminated" Mommy Horta. The Pack releasing when it did, with such a terrible name, is just a horrible coincidence I would think.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m not trying to start a debate about corporate planning and how that works in a game this complicated, that’s all totally understood. My point is kind of being buried here, so I’ll probably skulk back into the shadows for another couple years after this.

Nichelle passed, they had a special variant ready to go in around 10 days, and communication the next day regarding those new/unforeseen plans. It has been shown to be possible in the last month. Clearly Louise/Winn still stands where she has with the Timelines folks for the last 6 years (around the same level of Trek importance as Kamala, Craft and Porthos), thats my point and my disappointment.
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately we often do not have the ability to swiftly pivot to acknowledge certain events, it has happened before, it will happen again.

That being said we have discussed having a new variant of Kai Winn, but I do not have any other update.

As has been pointed out, scheduling of crew/packs etc happens ahead of time.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2022
    So instead of doing anything, even simple acknowledgement of this passing, they release a new pack for “Untimely Ends” to add yet another barely known side character to the game, and don’t even put in the existing Winn from the scene where she literally “Untimely Ends”? There has never been a release of a single Winn to Timelines since the first year of the game. How is this actually possible? I am truly disappointed.

Believe it or not, she was in only 14 episodes.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

But her influence was felt far beyond that. She did an amazing job with that character.
  • Options
    ChaosChildChaosChild ✭✭✭✭✭

But her influence was felt far beyond that. She did an amazing job with that character.

Exactly. The fact that you have to say "believe it or not" shows how much of an impact she had in relatively few appearances. She made a great character absolutely unforgettable and she definitely deserves far more respect than this game has ever given her.
  • Options
    Stellan Skarsgård is only in half the movies ever made, and look at his impact on the industry.
  • Options
    Shan wrote: »
    we have discussed having a new variant of Kai Winn, but I do not have any other update.

Hopefully in her golden robe this time. Her most iconic look is missing in the game, so are variants of Benjamin Sisko in TNG uniform from Emissary Part I and DS9 uniform Sisko with his head full of hair and clean-shaven face (up until DS9 season 3 episode 21).
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    In addition to a new 5* Kai Winn, make a new fused Adami & Anjohl with Rogue Kai Winn and Bajoran Dukat.
    strangebefellows_089.jpg