Home The Bridge
Options

Would WRG make significantly more money from the Dabo Wheel if they cut the prices in half?

Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
I am sure they have the data from the Dabo sales to make an educated, economical decision. I can't see many people spending dilithium at the current Dabo Wheel prices with any regularity unless they are really desperate to get the 5* crew. I think more people would be willing to use dilithium more frequently to get to that top row at half the cost. Potentially 15,490 dilithium currently to get all the prizes vs 7745 at half the cost. I would think more than double the players would spend for the whole table than are partaking now which would make more money for WRG. Given they threw Mirror Tuvok in the Faction Store for 6000 dilithium, halving the Dabo cost seems reasonable. Your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Warrior WilloWarrior Willo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror Tuvok was 5000 Dil. Currently I wouldn’t run the table even for a FTM chance. Reduce that by half and I probably would, especially if it was a strong card.
  • Options
    Sulu's HusbandSulu's Husband ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror Tuvok was 5000 Dil. Currently I wouldn’t run the table even for a FTM chance. Reduce that by half and I probably would, especially if it was a strong card.

Thanks for the correction on Tuvok. It makes the argument to have the prices halved even more logical.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sure they're looking at the faction store numbers to see. If they are generating more sales then maybe it's worth reevaluating dabo prices.

But one other thing to remember, tuvok is one of the best crew in the game. I'll drop 5k dil for him. But I'm not spending 5k dil on most crew in the faction store. And I won't spend 5k to run the dabo table unless it's a similarly good crew.

I am curious how much dil they're making from faction refreshes vs the 5k purchase when he shows up.
  • Options
    @Sulu's Husband I'm with you on the Dabo cost. I buy the Monthly Dil Card for the express purpose of hitting dabo a few times every day without dipping into my stash. Unless...and it's a rarity...there is something REALLY good in the top row. If the prices were lower, I'd be more inclined to spend; but I'd be more inclined if they fixed the loot tables for Dabo and made them what they say they are: customized to MY game. IOW, stop offering the same ship schems for gold ships I've had fully leveled for years, and don't put equipment in there for crew I don't have yet (which just takes up inventory space).
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    @Sulu's Husband I'm with you on the Dabo cost. I buy the Monthly Dil Card for the express purpose of hitting dabo a few times every day without dipping into my stash. Unless...and it's a rarity...there is something REALLY good in the top row. If the prices were lower, I'd be more inclined to spend; but I'd be more inclined if they fixed the loot tables for Dabo and made them what they say they are: customized to MY game. IOW, stop offering the same ship schems for gold ships I've had fully leveled for years, and don't put equipment in there for crew I don't have yet (which just takes up inventory space).

I will take equipment for crew I don't have over equipment for crew I have already leveled any day.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • Options

I will take equipment for crew I don't have over equipment for crew I have already leveled any day.

Equipment for crew I have already leveled is also a problem, but at least those can be used in the replicator without loss. I hate trashing equipment that might come in useful someday.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    W.W. CarlisleW.W. Carlisle ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a good question. They should have the data, but I know I do spend more during the sale. I normally spend 10 dil for a second spin, but, during the sale, I spend 20- 1 5 and 1 15. They do get more from me during the sale. Now I'm curious.
    W.W. CarlislePlayed since January 20, 2019Captain Level- 99 (May 9, 2022)VIP 14Crew Quarters: 485/485Most recent/Lowest- Anbo-jyutsu Kyle Riker (1/5* Lvl 30) 5/29/23Immortalized x-866 5* x184, 4* x 490, 3* x91, 2* x62, and 1* x27Most recent Immortal - Tearful Janeway 4* 5/25/23Current non-event project- Improving my Science base skill. Retrieval Project- Mestral 1/5*
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    also: slight pedantic point I'm going to make but i don't want to crash the conversation going on.

It's probably 'rare' that they 'make money' from Dabo. I tend to think of Dabo as a loss leader, like the rotisserie chicken at Costco. It's there to entice you to spend more, but it doesn't generate revenue.

6-7 years ago, when Jon Radoff was in charge, he famously said that no dilithium would be given away for free, ever. Pay currency, the end. That made Dabo premium and you had to spend real money to acquire things.

Now, with DIL raining from the heavens throughout the game and offerwall, anyone can spin. The only cases where it would involve someone paying real money, in theory, is if they had only 2000 DIL and saw a brand new card on their Dabo and they wanted to get FTM on it - so they spend $80 on DIL offers to do so. That happens maybe once a week.

Beyond that, probably weekly, some player has a long-sought after card appear in their Dabo and buys an offer to get a copy.

So no, I don't think Dabo has made them any money for 5+ years and will continue not to.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank? wrote: »
    also: slight pedantic point I'm going to make but i don't want to crash the conversation going on.

It's probably 'rare' that they 'make money' from Dabo. I tend to think of Dabo as a loss leader, like the rotisserie chicken at Costco. It's there to entice you to spend more, but it doesn't generate revenue.

6-7 years ago, when Jon Radoff was in charge, he famously said that no dilithium would be given away for free, ever. Pay currency, the end. That made Dabo premium and you had to spend real money to acquire things.

Now, with DIL raining from the heavens throughout the game and offerwall, anyone can spin. The only cases where it would involve someone paying real money, in theory, is if they had only 2000 DIL and saw a brand new card on their Dabo and they wanted to get FTM on it - so they spend $80 on DIL offers to do so. That happens maybe once a week.

Beyond that, probably weekly, some player has a long-sought after card appear in their Dabo and buys an offer to get a copy.

So no, I don't think Dabo has made them any money for 5+ years and will continue not to.

There should be a secondary effect that I would hope they measure. The more people spend dil the more they're likely to buy a dil offer for real money. Or even to buy a monthly card. And even the offer wall presumably kick back some real money to WRG otherwise they wouldn't offer them.

Obviously the campaigns for real money and all offers for real money are the most immediate source of revenue. But everyone time someone buys dil, that brings in revenue and only happens because the player is then spending the dil on something.
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is such a little amount for a second spin, but I still save it all for crew slots. So the reduced cost is unimportant to me, for what little it's worth. I did drop a ton of credits for it when there was a credit sale.

I intentionally keep a couple dozen crew unleveled with open equipment, but more than half the time--far more, really--I get equipment for crew who have been long immortalized. So even if I were tempted to take the extra spin, I don't trust that I would get anything of use. The only time to do it is if you are trying to run the board, which is the equivalent of far more crew slots than any gold would be worth.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I might buy a couple of spins during a sale. If I need all 3 crew. I normally don’t have the spare DIL since I’d rather spend it on FBB or quantum. Both of those have defined gains.

Dabo is a gamble unless you know you’re going to run the entire wheel. I did it once but that was preFBB and quantum.

Otherwise it’s too random. I’ve gotten maybe 3x4*s (one I had), 1x5* and 1 5* equipment. That last one was just a couple weeks ago.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Veterinary PhloxVeterinary Phlox ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going to guess over 95% of dil dropped in Dabo comes from folks trying to clear the board. (Over 98% wouldn't surprise me.) So even if a lot of folks regularly do a few dil spins, it's the occasional whales dropping almost all the dil here.

I could be wrong. And @Frank? raises some great points. The fact that free dil is more available could mean more folks are doing extra spins, although with Dabo now functioning more as a "gold sink" than a revenue generator.

But, end of the day, WRG has to have the stats here. If a Dabo sale sees a big spike in dil spent, even with multiple sales in close-ish proximity, I'd at least expect these to become more frequent - if not permanent.

They haven't.
    It is such a little amount for a second spin, but I still save it all for crew slots. So the reduced cost is unimportant to me, for what little it's worth. I did drop a ton of credits for it when there was a credit sale.

I intentionally keep a couple dozen crew unleveled with open equipment, but more than half the time--far more, really--I get equipment for crew who have been long immortalized. So even if I were tempted to take the extra spin, I don't trust that I would get anything of use. The only time to do it is if you are trying to run the board, which is the equivalent of far more crew slots than any gold would be worth.

I used to have a character farm like this as well. I happily removed it when campaigns lost item drops (I don't use Dabo or Gauntlet, the other situations this was useful).
    Six degrees in Inter-species Veterinary Medicine. Treating all manner of critters, from Tribbles to Humans.

Starport