Home Engineering Room
Options

Borg Scout Ship no "Scout" trait

When doing a new voyage I noticed that the required "scout" trait does not appear on the Borg Scout ship. Strange...

Comments

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, a few of us have posted about that before. It's indeed strange. Especially when the "scout" trait does appear on the Borg Sphere.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    It has been explained in other threads. For ships to have the scout trait they must be small. The Borg Scout is anything but small. I think the name should be changed to Borg Cube, not including scout.
  • Options
    @Gib
    Agree. Graphic looks like a cube as well.
  • Options
    But isn’t this a small version of the Borg cube?
  • Options
    Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭
    But isn’t this a small version of the Borg cube?

The Borg Scout Ship is ~ 2.5M metric tons, according to Memory-Alpha.

The real problem is that the Borg are doing a terrible job of branding, which is causing significant confusion in the marketplace.
    Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    Hi @Shan @Black Pebble

Why is the 'Borg Scout Ship' not classified as a Scout ship for a 150 antimatter bonus on 'Voyages' ?

eg877n7g31zi.png
    19d08ln5ad3a.png

Regards Grim
  • Options
    And, if I might add, why is HMS Bounty not Klingon
    “What's a knockout like you doing in a computer-generated gin joint like this?”

Proud member of Patterns of Force
    Captain Level 99
    Played since January 2017

TP: Do better!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    And, if I might add, why is HMS Bounty not Klingon

I've asked this and DB reply is that the Klingon ship was taken by Kirk and his crew in Star Trek 3&4.
    So though built by Klingons it was being used by the Federation.

Not the answer that seems reasonable as most people would consider the builders of a spaceship to be the answer rather than the origins of the crew.

But hey this is DB we are talking about.
  • Options
    Yateball wrote: »
    Both have been asked 978 times before. Summary of previous answers is the Borg Scout Ship is inaccurately named, and the H.M.S. Bounty is Federation as it's been renamed and re-purposed from when it was PREVIOUSLY a Klingon ship

So it should read 'Borg Cube' ? OK so there have been 978 server builds and game corrections but a typo is too complicated to get recertified by DB? Seems reasonable ;-)
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both have been asked 978 times before. Summary of previous answers is the Borg Scout Ship is inaccurately named, and the H.M.S. Bounty is Federation as it's been renamed and re-purposed from when it was PREVIOUSLY a Klingon ship

Also that unlike crew, they have a limit to the traits on the ship.

Because yes, technically the HMS Bounty is Federation, Klingon, Historic, War Veteran, Warship, Cloaking Device, Explorer. And maybe more if you want to invent more (like Time Traveller or something).

I'd also argue that the Prakesh should be considered Rutheless, NX-01 should be Historic and Shenzhou chould be a War Veteran.

But, DB has decided to limit 5* ships to 3 traits. So they picked the three most prominent ones, and it seems that the way it works is one "Faction" trait, and two others that are (to them) the most relevant).

That's the real reason.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭

So it should read 'Borg Cube' ? OK so there have been 978 server builds and game corrections but a typo is too complicated to get recertified by DB? Seems reasonable ;-)

It’s not a true Borg Cube, is my understanding. Generally, the default size is truly supposed to be proportionate to the canon dimensions of other ships in the game. The real, full-sized Borg Cube is too big to keep proportionate to other in-game graphics.

So they made it a mini-cube, and, rather appropriately, named it something different. Because it is different. Scout is supposed to refer to the fact that it is a mini cube.

Kind of like how the ships with the actual Scout trait are small ships, usually.

At least, that’s how I understood the whole thing. Personally, I just always call it the Borg Scout-Not-A-Scout Ship in my head...
  • Options
    Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the actual name of the ship. However, the Borg definition of a scout is gigantically different than every other faction's definition of a scout. Like by a factor of 100.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Borg_scout_ship

The in-game definition of the scout trait applies to small ships, not something 2.5 million metric tons.

It turns out the Borg marketing department just isn't very good at coming up with descriptive names.
    Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
  • Options
    This has bothered me for awhile but I’m just now getting around to mentioning it. Why does the Borg Scout Ship not count as a Scout Ship in Voyages? Please fix this because it’s really frustrating.
    56eoi7sqh42e.png
    x5pwsyqj1fgo.png
  • Options
    And no I did not type that in it immediately filled in the Ship title.
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Okay, hear me out. I know it's massive. But it's DEFINITELY a scout. If they want to locate new species, they send one cube. If they want to assimilate, they send a fleet of cubes, or even tactical cubes.

To that end, I would argue that the trait "Battlecruiser" is not correct. This ship wasn't DESIGNED for battle. It was designed to assimilate new species and information. Being superior at battle is just a side effect of the advanced technology. If anything, their Tactical Cube could probably have that trait.

In-game, they have given the smaller "Borg Sphere" the designation of "Scout." I would give it to both, why not?
    Can we please replace the trait "battlecruiser" with "scout" on the Borg SCOUT Ship?

xsqu6lkt1lj6.jpg

0nvdxxxw8cru.jpg

• Options
    This has been discussed a number of times. The Scout trait is for small ships, not massive ones. The name of the ship should be changed, not the traits.
  • Options
    Sybok MKIISybok MKII ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Also, IMHO this is definitely not the "Cube" ship type from the First Contact movie, for example.
    It is a small version of it (never appeared in canon episodes, I think, though its existance is at least suggested in a couple of VOY episodes), and designed for reconnaissance purposes.
    Standard, classic Borg cubes should be a lot greater (and powerful) of any other ships ever appeared (well besides Vyger, DD Machine and Voth mothership, maybe).
    My 2 cents 🙂
  • Options
    NoneNone ✭✭✭
    The Borg scout ship was in the Next Generation. It was the ship that Huge was on. It was labeled as a scout, only had a crew of 5, hence the 3 of 5 designation that he originally had.

I agree though. They really need to call it something else or add the scout trait to it.

It shouldn’t matter what the size is. Scout is a job, not the size. If the purpose of the ship is to scout, it should have the trait. A Battlecruiser is more of a warship kind of purpose.
  • Options
    Capt. Pete OwenCapt. Pete Owen ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    🖖🏼 Replacing a duplicate post.
    - Joined game 6th March 2016
    - Capt Level 99
    - VIP Level 13
    - Fleet Admiral [New Black Vipers]
    - Starbase Level 134
    - Starbase Rooms Completed 15/15
    - Crew Slots 295
    - Immortalized Crew 639
    - Total Crew collected 882/1179
    - Crew collections maxed out 7/45
    - Galaxy Map Stars 1269/1269
    - Cadet Mission Stars 225/225
    - Factions Honored 15/15
    - Achievements completed 15/16
    - Ships maxed out 53/78
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    - Capt Level 99
    - VIP Level 13
    - Starbase Level 134
    - Crew Slots 295
    - Immortalized Crew 639
    - Factions Honored 15/15
    - Ships maxed out 53/78
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    - Capt Level 99
    - VIP Level 13
    - Starbase Level 134
    - Crew Slots 295
    - Immortalized Crew 639
    - Factions Honored 15/15
    - Ships maxed out 53/78
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I believe the ‘Scout’ trait should be added to both the H.M.S. Bounty and the Borg SCOUT Ship.

During voyages no boost when assigning either ship despite them falling under the category of a Scout-Class vessel.

The Borg SCOUT Ship speaks for itself as it’s in its name.
    jew1wmmrh0qs.jpeg

During Star Trek III: The Search for Spock, Chekov informed Kirk that he saw “a scout-class vessel”.
    This was the Klingon Bird Prey in orbit of the Genesis planet that the crew commandeered and renamed the H.M.S. Bounty.
    31adjptdlup5.jpeg
    l9li1vgy6lzw.jpeg
    - Capt Level 99
    - VIP Level 13
    - Starbase Level 134
    - Crew Slots 295
    - Immortalized Crew 639
    - Factions Honored 15/15
    - Ships maxed out 53/78
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like DB wanted to limit ships to only having three ship traits though. One for allegiance, one for a type of ship (e.g. warship, historical, explorer), and one for a crucial component of the ship.

I for one am welcome for there being 4-5 traits per ship though. Some of them are just inadequately described in 3 traits. Bounty for example I think should also have Klingon due to its original design and basis.
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    What's in a name? I mean, "Prisoner Bone McCoy" doesn't have the Prisoner trait. I've asked about that before too.
  • Options
    <TGE> Clifford<TGE> Clifford ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    What's in a name? I mean, "Prisoner Bone McCoy" doesn't have the Prisoner trait. I've asked about that before too.

When Prisoner "Bones" McCoy was added to the game, there was no prisoner trait. It's a newer trait. They just haven't gotten around to adding it yet. Perhaps it should be added to the trait audit thread, if it isn't there already.