Home The Bridge

I Never Thought I would Write This...

Bylo BandBylo Band ✭✭✭✭✭
...but I am essentially done. If not for my fleet I would probably walk away completely but I still find my work in fleet management rewarding and beneficial to people I have grown to care about so I will remain in that capacity, but I have already gone down to being a F2P player, stopped doing everything non-Fleet Boss related that does not contribute to dailies (Gauntlet, Continuum Missions), and I no longer try in events - for example, I did not even bother to send even one event voyage for phase 1 of the Stowaway hybrid event running right now. Before I continue this goodbye, because this forum and many of the people here over the years have been important to me I will give you all a going away present and save you the trouble of doing this...

y4n05qpoxx1e.jpg

...I like them both so I spent a few minutes combining them, it seemed like an appropriate final gesture.

I was never on the same level as the whales, those juggernauts that had copies of every card, but for several years I was on the next tier down. As a nod to my original thread I have to date still never immortalized or even own a copy of Acting Ensign Crusher and due to my intense dislike of the character I have placed a personal restriction on myself of never owning copies of any 5* Riker card (apologies to my fleet, this has had unintended negative consequences for node solving on the Fleet boss!) but removing those from consideration there was once a time where I was only missing a dozen of the remaining cards in the game, and had I truly felt the need I had the ability to "catch them all". Multiple times I also had every collection maxed (that did not require a 5* Riker!).

I maintained a borderline reckless level of spending to keep those goals in sight, I never failed to buy the paid campaign tracks, and when the voyage exclusive cards were released I increased my spending to chase those cards. It was all pointless and I regret doing that now. No matter how much you spend, no matter how much effort you put in, no matter how much sleep you give up, no matter what else you do, those voyage exclusive cards and my inability to get any copies of the last 3 introduced despite tremendous spending/effort just broke something in me, caused me to pause and start asking questions, and at some point it just dawned on me that it is no longer possible to "catch them all". So I surrendered here and have applied my entertainment budget in different places, for example this month I dusted off my old MTG Commander deck and have updated it.

There is a lot more I had intended to include here, I mentally wrote an entire section about how Quipment/Continuum Missions have forever changed voyages and destroyed the sense of community we had organically cultivated as we all chased the mythic 12 hour voyage accomplishment which used to mean a great deal and was only possible because we were all on the same relative level, but I think instead I will issue a final observation to serve as a canary in the coalmine.

For years people have used the Admiral division of the Arena to try and estimate player engagement and while that might be useful to track, I think there a more difficult thing to track that is a better indicator: fleets. My fleet has welcomed several "new" players (homeless level 99s) in recent months who have reported that they have been forced to hop from fleet to fleet looking for ANYTHING viable. It seems there are very few active fleets out there at/near 50/50 players with strong starbases, active leadership, and proactive Fleet Boss plans. Based on this I think the long-term viability of play is pretty bleak, we are losing players and it is getting increasingly impossible for new players to find footing due to decaying fleet activity. There are a small number of extremely motivated, active fleets, a small number of active fleets, and a swarm of small/atrophied/dying fleets. I do not know how much longer things can continue on this path but based on what I have observed I suspect we are in the accretion disk and drawing dangerously close to the event horizon of viability. Were I on the development team and tasked with saving this game I would change fleet membership and open them up to allowing more than 50 players or come up with some other solution to minimize the extreme disadvantage and inability to enjoy the game that exists for the growing masses unable to get into a strong fleet. Seeing as how the team keeps shrinking my suspicion however is that the company is trying to cram as many resources into their escape pod and blasting to safety before they allow everything STT and everyone playing to be spaghettified.

Take care of yourselves, so long.

-Bylo

Comments

• Farewell, I agree that quipment has taken the fun out for many that was still enjoying a competitive personal gauntlet and event ranking race between players at times. I call it the depreciation of the value of cards because of quipment, now if you don't have a card just quip another to equal it's usefullness. I understand where you are, and have relenquished my playing as much as I did before to something else that takes up my time. I wish you well. LLAP. Know that you have made your playing known to this game and its players, and will be if not already missed.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19
    “Second star to the right and straight on til’ morning”

I’ve enjoyed your insights on the forums over the years. And no worries, I’ve got all the Rikers you’ve missed. 😆 I wish you well. LLAP

7v0pqv6y1odq.png
    ahmd7czd76tt.png
    kaix50fpn2n9.png
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I lessened my playing a long time ago and it has been good for my mental health. I wish you the best. I enjoy he game and still do most things, but don't worry so much about a lost voyage or making sure to win an event (get top 750). I had big hopes for the voyage event. Unfortunately the selection process is awful and it is too time-intensive at he start. Still lots of good stuff, but I can't disagree with your reasoning.
  • *Nomad* {PoF}*Nomad* {PoF} ✭✭✭✭✭
    ooya7zkuxetu.jpg
    ...and THATS why I am leaving, but not really.... :D;)
    Founding ADM - PoF family of fleets (POF, POF2 & POF3) - Dear TP: Non sequitur. Your facts are uncoordinated.
  • JoeSage 2JoeSage 2 ✭✭✭
    You'll be missed. TrialNeverEnds [STARFLEET!]
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bylo yours posts are always insightful, including this one.
    Not sure, from what you said, it's sounds like you will still be playing , but with less effort and staying f2p (since you started doing it)

I gather this might be you last post, so again thanks for all your posts on the forum.