Home Engineering Room
Options

Crew Status indicator on Crew Screen

Guys, this was a good add-on to make, however I'm not sure about the way you've implemented it. It's massive, and it greys out their picture. Can we make it less intrusive? Perhaps just the icon in the corner, and smaller?

Comments

• Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm that should not cover the whole headshot.
    Could you please provide a screenshot and the platform on which it was taken?
    Thank you!
  • Options
    GhostStalkerGhostStalker ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan, I mean of course it doesn't cover the entire head shot, but notice how intrusive it is? We could easily get by with just the icon, no text or shading required. Please consider it! d7rntvti212x.jpg
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for clarifying and providing the screenshot :)
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I think most players would agree with me, that the icon of a shuttle or starship in the corner is MORE than enough to indicate the status! The text and greying out are truly too much. Thank you!

EDIT: YIKES, I just saw that Battle Station is also included? Now THIS one is definitely too much! Shan, this is where we go to admire our amazing crew and their art.

93mc2640ihpt.jpg
  • Options
    I agree that icons would be enough for this feature.
  • Options
    +1
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battle station can go away, but the shading doesn't bother me for other indicators
  • Options
    [7TW] UnkieB[7TW] UnkieB ✭✭✭✭✭
    We could easily get by with just the icon, no text or shading required. Please consider it!

+1
  • Options
    Yateball wrote: »
    Battle station can go away, but the shading doesn't bother me for other indicators

So is it actually adding anything for you? I mean, does it enhance your experience? If you could vote for or against?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battle Station icon or overlay is completely unnecessary, as it has no bearing on whether or not we can fuse, airlock or freeze crew. The other icons I like. Agree that the text overlay is a bit much... if it was just the icon, and would bring a popup explaining "On Shuttle" or "On Voyage" when you clicked the icon, that would perhaps assuage anyone who desires more info there, but I think even that isn't really needed.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    ShanShan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Battle Station does not refer to your ships in Battle Arena, but to regular ships used for content missions involving a space battle.
    You know the ones everyone forgets about and that will prevent a fuse or dismissal.
  • Options
    Right Shan, that's right. So let's give them a little icon like the other things, while removing all the new text and shading from all 3? :):):):):)
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shan wrote: »
    Battle Station does not refer to your ships in Battle Arena, but to regular ships used for content missions involving a space battle.
    You know the ones everyone forgets about and that will prevent a fuse or dismissal.

Hmm... I just tested this out with a crew member who I was going to airlock, and after adding them to Battle Stations, I was unable to do so. This must be a new thing with this version, yes? Because I was fairly certain I've been able to freeze crew who were on my Battle Station before. And I know I've fused them — I generally keep my top Legendaries on my Battle Station crew, and I've fused some of them since adding them there, I'm nearly certain.

This is actually not an ideal situation, in my opinion. To have to go and remove a crew from Battle Station before fusing them is, well, sort of stupid, to be honest.

• Options
    edited December 2017
    No, I can verify it's always been the case, as Shan said. Are you possibly confusing "arena" battle stations with the permanent ones on your ship?

EDIT: Also can we not diverge from the main point of this thread, which is to suggest a much less intrusive and, so far, very popular change to a welcomed new feature in this great game? Thank you!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I can verify it's always been the case, as Shan said. Are you possibly confusing "arena" battle stations with the permanent ones on your ship?

No, I know the difference. I went to a ship battle in the Klingon Empire Distress Call and changed the crew there.
    EDIT: Also can we not diverge from the main point of this thread, which is to suggest a much less intrusive and, so far, very popular change to a welcomed new feature in this great game? Thank you!

Sorry, I guess I didn't think it was that much of a divergence, although maybe off on a slightly different tangent to your OP... since we were also discussing whether the Battle Stations overlay even needed to be on there at all, and so my question was to that point. But I'll drop it. Apologies.

• Options
    No I apologize, I want to address your point as well, but insofar as this thread...

I think the change I've suggested is easy to implement, and it looks like more people will prefer it. Right, Shan?
  • Options
    I vote for the way it is. I think it is well implemented and if you want to admire the artwork just click on it and see it full screen. Knowing which crew are sitting where instead of having to hunt for them is awesome. I had no idea who was in my battle stations until I saw this telling me. If anything I'd actually vote to add one more telling you that a crew member is on an arena ship because you can freeze those if you aren't careful. I was making space once and ended up wasting 300 merits because I froze two crew that I only use for arena ships.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
  • Options
    I fixed it for you.
    jvun3dfcm8q3.jpg
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I fixed it for you.
    jvun3dfcm8q3.jpg

This I can definitely live with. 👍

• Options
    I'm bumping this so Shan can more easily provide it to the development team for ideas. Peace!
  • Options
    Odo MarmarosaOdo Marmarosa ✭✭✭✭✭
    The text is fine and helpful to see where your crew is at a glance. The greying out is a bit more distracting & "Bridge Crew" would probably be more accurate than "Battle Station", but that's it as far as critisism goes. 9/10. Please don't make it icon only; I'm worried that might cause more confusion amoung the inattentive.
  • Options
    On this note of "Battle Station"....I cannot find where these characters are to remove them from "Battle Station" status. All of my shuttles are docked and there is no indication as to what region of the game these characters are now stuck in. I'm sure it's just something that I overlooked. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On this note of "Battle Station"....I cannot find where these characters are to remove them from "Battle Station" status. All of my shuttles are docked and there is no indication as to what region of the game these characters are now stuck in. I'm sure it's just something that I overlooked. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

The game makes it far more confusing and convoluted than it should be. These are the crew that come up whenever you play a standard (not Arena) space battle (playing it through instead of just warping it). So, to change those crew, you need to first go to the Galaxy Map, then find a space battle (best choice is Distress Calls: Klingon Empire, as they are all space battles), travel to that battle (don't warp it), then when you reach it, you will see your crew on the lower left side. You can change any of them by clicking on their thumbnail.

Now, should you ever want to change the ship used in those battles (something which, logically, should be a thing you could access from the same place you change your crew in Battle Stations), you need to go back to the main screen, click the icon in the upper right corner, then "Build and Change Ship", and select the one there that you want to use for space battles. (Again, this will NOT affect the ship you use in the Arena at all.)

• Options
    dext74dext74 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I fixed it for you.
    jvun3dfcm8q3.jpg

This I can definitely live with. 👍

What if the icon moved out of the portrait but in between crew trait and level in the bar BELOW the portrait?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dext74 wrote: »
    What if the icon moved out of the portrait but in between crew trait and level in the bar BELOW the portrait?

I wouldn't mind that. It would mean that you wouldn't see as many crew on your screen at one time, but not a big deal. Also think it could be put in the main crew info section to the left, since it's really not something you need to see when you're just scrolling through your roster.

• Options
    Bumping this because it still bothers me!
  • Options

Just an FYI, in case it's a bug? You CAN fuse crew in Battle Stations, but after they fuse, or you level them in some cases (if not all) they DROP from Battle Stations, and you have to add them again.

***Love the Icon idea!***
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just an FYI, in case it's a bug? You CAN fuse crew in Battle Stations, but after they fuse, or you level them in some cases (if not all) they DROP from Battle Stations, and you have to add them again.

Yes, thank you! I've also noticed this since my post above. I knew I was able to fuse crew who were in battle stations before. :p

• Options
    From the "Art Feedback" thread:
    -snipped-
    - In crew quarters, please do not grey out crew who are on voyages/shuttles/battle stations or have that written across their faces. Small icons of ship/shuttle/etc or letters V/S/B in the corner would suffice. Currently, most favourite and primary crew are greyed out, and the text makes it busier than I think is necessary.
    -snipped-

It puts a damper on my favourite crew to have them greyed out often/most/all of the time in the gallery and makes it unnecessarily messy. To the idea that we can "just click on it and see it full screen" to admire their artwork - that's not practical for regular gameplay, and I just want to see them fresh and clear displayed all nice together every time I open crew quarters.

The writing is (my guess) unnecessary for most captains, and therefore I think detracts from the cleanliness of the presentation more than it helps. People would get used to the icons; there would only be 3 which would be quickly learned when you try to fuse them (and the pop-up box tells you that you can't because they're assigned to a battle station, shuttle or voyage). They could even be a touch smaller than in the images above, say ship/voyage and battle station icons scaled to 90% of current, and shuttle icon scaled to 80% of current.

Thanks!