Home The Bridge
Options

Question Regarding Voyages and Skill Weights

eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in The Bridge
At the 8:12 and 8:16 mark, I passed a CMD skill check with a score of 9674. CMD was the primary skill. I was surprised by this because I had failed two prior SEC skill checks with a score of 9701. SEC was the secondary skill.

My understanding was that primary and secondary skills come up more often, but was unaware that there were any additional modifiers associated with them. Could be a bug, but was curious if I missed something.
Proud member of eXodus
Join the eXo|plosion today!

Comments

• Options
    Would love to see an answer to this. As I posted in another threat, I failed a 7.5 hr check with 10,400 skill. Before the ‘rebalance’ I had never seen anything like it.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed that the specific hazard matters. For instance, around the 7 hour mark I've failed Diplomacy hazards of one type, and then passed Diplomacy when it was a different hazard. Then it goes back and forth between the two. Worth nothing that the different hazards used different crew, so one was passing and one was failing.
  • Options
    My understanding is that a skill check uses RNG. Instead of it being one number x, it is a number between x and y where x may be below your total and y being above. When the voyage starts, x and y are way low and you pass all easily. As time passes, those numbers go up so at some point your skill total falls somewhere in between then eventually x is higher and you fail all of them.
  • Options
    My understanding is that a skill check uses RNG. Instead of it being one number x, it is a number between x and y where x may be below your total and y being above. When the voyage starts, x and y are way low and you pass all easily. As time passes, those numbers go up so at some point your skill total falls somewhere in between then eventually x is higher and you fail all of them.

Thanks! This would explain the behavior I've seen.
    Proud member of eXodus
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Skill required increases (approximately) 1200 points per hour and starts at 0. Individual checks have some degree of RNG. I've seen a skill pass, then fail, then pass again, then start continually failing. That makes the skill check at the 8 hour mark is approximately 9600. So, it makes perfect sense that you'd start seeing failures about when you did.

As for proportion of skills, the primary skill comes up about 35% of the skill checks, secondary is 25%, and the remaining four are 10% apiece.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Worth mentioning that we've never had an official word on these hidden details of how Voyages work. Things like how the hazard successes are calculated, whether ships or crew with bonus traits have any benefit beyond the extra antimatter, whether the crew positions matter beyond the stats, etc.

I believe that Shan said we were supposed to get some further information about Voyages once things settled down, but it never happened.
  • Options
    Skill required increases (approximately) 1200 points per hour and starts at 0. Individual checks have some degree of RNG. I've seen a skill pass, then fail, then pass again, then start continually failing. That makes the skill check at the 8 hour mark is approximately 9600. So, it makes perfect sense that you'd start seeing failures about when you did.

As for proportion of skills, the primary skill comes up about 35% of the skill checks, secondary is 25%, and the remaining four are 10% apiece.

Thanks Rex!
    Proud member of eXodus
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magisse wrote: »
    Worth mentioning that we've never had an official word on these hidden details of how Voyages work. Things like how the hazard successes are calculated, whether ships or crew with bonus traits have any benefit beyond the extra antimatter, whether the crew positions matter beyond the stats, etc.

I believe that Shan said we were supposed to get some further information about Voyages once things settled down, but it never happened.

There is supposed to be a voyage tutorial available once the force upgrade happens, which is supposed to be next week.

I would be surprised if we get any NEW information from that, but that's all that has been promised AFAIK.