Home The Bridge
Options

Faction events just not worth it any more

2»

Comments

• Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is "quick start?" is that the use of the time boosts to get through the beginning shuttles? If so, I don't always do that. I don't seem to get a lot of time boosts. I haven't tried the shuttle discard, but I will try that out and look for multi-hit shuttles where a boost can really amp things up.

You should always to the 40 shuttle rush if you don't care about the event. Its a good way to get easy shuttles for faction only items.

Normally I can get 10 90 minute speed up's from the 6 ACF missions. Round that out with whatever bonus packs the game throws your way.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    edited December 2017

What is "quick start?" is that the use of the time boosts to get through the beginning shuttles? If so, I don't always do that. I don't seem to get a lot of time boosts. I haven't tried the shuttle discard, but I will try that out and look for multi-hit shuttles where a boost can really amp things up.

Thanks for the insight.

Right before the event, I always outline it for the fleet, so here it is :)

You have 3 factions - Ferengi, Terrans, KCA. As soon as the event starts, you open 10xCommunications each. You only do the 10 Terran ones. The other 20 are left over. Then you open another 10 Terran ones, and do those with 3 star, 90 min. time boosters. As they are with an exactly 90 minutes duration, they finish immediately. Once you are done with those, you go back to the original 20. You can do those in any order without boosters. They will, however, show falsely as 90 min. missions, which is a display bug. Once you are done with the 20, barring any unlucky 99% fails, you will be up to 40 successful missions, or 4000 VP.

In order to be completely fair, I would like to say that this is not my strategy and that I myself read it over the forums. I am just repeating the kind person's words, who posted the strategy.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galaxy? You must be joking! Last galaxy event I had all event crew, both purples FF, picard 2/5 FE and reed 1/5 FE. I used 3k chrons and i still couldn't reach top 2500...galaxy ain't fair, especially with the chroniton offer.

I'm F2P and last Galaxy I had immortal Mirror Hoshi, immortal Smiley and 1/5 FE Jadzia as my event crew and got top 500. I spent no money, just started saving chrons once the event was announced.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm F2P and last Galaxy I had immortal Mirror Hoshi, immortal Smiley and 1/5 FE Jadzia as my event crew and got top 500. I spent no money, just started saving chrons once the event was announced.

Let's not forget that a F2P won the Honey Bare Galaxy event. 3K chrons is nothing really.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another way to advance your rank without spending anything is to set your alarm to wake you every 3 hours overnight, rather than do the 9-hour shuttles. I've done this on occasion, when I've been going for a very high rank.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    Scraped it.. Given the high amount of legendary crew I have I can't explain why I was so close, rnd really screwed me over 26nkfq0kdeuz.png
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭

I tried that once. My wife was not impressed.

Wonderfully understated. My wife wouldn't be impressed, either.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    This was my worst faction event in at least a year. I didn't even break 3000, usually rank 700 or better.

I failed half of my shuttles, and i never sent one out with less than 68%, MOST were 80-90%

I am very disheartened by this.
  • Options
    Grant77 wrote: »
    It took about six months to build up the crew to do it, but when I had the free time to send shuttles every three hours (minus nights), I could rank top 1000/1500 easily. Now I can't play as regularly and it's a struggle to make top 3000. And that's with applying all the various Faction strategies (kickstart, speed up boosts, deep crew). So I mostly just focus on threshold rewards.

I'd say that chasing ranked rewards is what's really not worth it anymore, regardless of event format. As a non-whale, non-large fleet player, unfused Legendary & Super Rare cards are more burden than reward for me at this point. Getting new cards is nice but very rarely do they improve my crew in any significant way.

It's really a game of diminishing returns. Adjusting play style and expectations is key.

Well it's a real catch-22, isn't it? Once you stop collecting crew, your rank is obviously going to drop in future events. I don't have much in the way of 5*s in this event, just a 1/5 North Star Tucker, Mirror Spock, and Mirror Bashir. I do, however, have all 16 4* event crew and I use all of them on shuttles other than Mirror Jadzia, who is just 1/4. Faction events are all about event crew. Keep them and level them because they will be useful some day.

I haven't stopped collecting crew outright, I'm just largely uninterested in obtaining unfused crew. For added context, I've only airlocked 3 Super Rares after more than a year and a half playing. Never airlocked a Legendary (but if I get Potato Martok, might have to do it). By not chasing Event Rewards, I'm now able to immortalize and cryo in a sustainable manner and at a fairly leisurely rate.

Besides, most unfused Super Rares aren't worth leveling to get a 2x Event Bonus if you have a crew of 150+ and have already paired down 2* & 3* to cadet challenge minimums. And if you don't have those kind of crew slot numbers, crew space is at a premium so why would you keep dead weight that might go unfused for more than a year?

From my own experience FF/FE Mirror Uhura & Mirror Ezri were worthless for Imperial Decree. 3* (regular) Vic turned out to be a waste of time, and why bother with leveling 2* Mirror Sisko? As for Legendaries, 1* FE Mirror Kira was frequently left behind when shuttles were launched.

And so with 4 shuttles, 16 event crew, kickstart 3 hours after the event started, and one weekday of more regular play, I wound up finishing around 2200. So I'll keep those two Mirror Vics for now, but really it's a waste of a crew slot, especially since the art is terrible and stats are subpar.

I understand that there's a crew slot limit apparently because of game performance issues, and I kind of understand it from an artificial bottleneck standpoint. But seeing as how this is a crew collection game, I don't understand why *I* want to spend time, effort, and occasionally money on digital cards that I might have to delete unless I spend more money and play obsessively. I much prefer playing at my own pace, with adjusted expectations, rather than trying to keep up with people who's best strategy is putting more time and/or money into the game.

Final thought: Feezal Phlox was the first super rare I ever got (more than a year and half ago). I only got the fourth star this week. The card might have got some limited use when I only had greys, greens, and blues, but mostly she just ate up a crew slot. I'm happy I can cryo another card, especially after all this time, but having that card added very little value to the game. Getting more crew for the sake of collecting more crew is largely pointless, yet that's upwards of 90% of this game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    It took about six months to build up the crew to do it, but when I had the free time to send shuttles every three hours (minus nights), I could rank top 1000/1500 easily. Now I can't play as regularly and it's a struggle to make top 3000. And that's with applying all the various Faction strategies (kickstart, speed up boosts, deep crew). So I mostly just focus on threshold rewards.

I'd say that chasing ranked rewards is what's really not worth it anymore, regardless of event format. As a non-whale, non-large fleet player, unfused Legendary & Super Rare cards are more burden than reward for me at this point. Getting new cards is nice but very rarely do they improve my crew in any significant way.

It's really a game of diminishing returns. Adjusting play style and expectations is key.

Well it's a real catch-22, isn't it? Once you stop collecting crew, your rank is obviously going to drop in future events. I don't have much in the way of 5*s in this event, just a 1/5 North Star Tucker, Mirror Spock, and Mirror Bashir. I do, however, have all 16 4* event crew and I use all of them on shuttles other than Mirror Jadzia, who is just 1/4. Faction events are all about event crew. Keep them and level them because they will be useful some day.

I haven't stopped collecting crew outright, I'm just largely uninterested in obtaining unfused crew. For added context, I've only airlocked 3 Super Rares after more than a year and a half playing. Never airlocked a Legendary (but if I get Potato Martok, might have to do it). By not chasing Event Rewards, I'm now able to immortalize and cryo in a sustainable manner and at a fairly leisurely rate.

Besides, most unfused Super Rares aren't worth leveling to get a 2x Event Bonus if you have a crew of 150+ and have already paired down 2* & 3* to cadet challenge minimums. And if you don't have those kind of crew slot numbers, crew space is at a premium so why would you keep dead weight that might go unfused for more than a year?

From my own experience FF/FE Mirror Uhura & Mirror Ezri were worthless for Imperial Decree. 3* (regular) Vic turned out to be a waste of time, and why bother with leveling 2* Mirror Sisko? As for Legendaries, 1* FE Mirror Kira was frequently left behind when shuttles were launched.

And so with 4 shuttles, 16 event crew, kickstart 3 hours after the event started, and one weekday of more regular play, I wound up finishing around 2200. So I'll keep those two Mirror Vics for now, but really it's a waste of a crew slot, especially since the art is terrible and stats are subpar.

I understand that there's a crew slot limit apparently because of game performance issues, and I kind of understand it from an artificial bottleneck standpoint. But seeing as how this is a crew collection game, I don't understand why *I* want to spend time, effort, and occasionally money on digital cards that I might have to delete unless I spend more money and play obsessively. I much prefer playing at my own pace, with adjusted expectations, rather than trying to keep up with people who's best strategy is putting more time and/or money into the game.

Final thought: Feezal Phlox was the first super rare I ever got (more than a year and half ago). I only got the fourth star this week. The card might have got some limited use when I only had greys, greens, and blues, but mostly she just ate up a crew slot. I'm happy I can cryo another card, especially after all this time, but having that card added very little value to the game. Getting more crew for the sake of collecting more crew is largely pointless, yet that's upwards of 90% of this game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Unless that's part of what you find fun. I have a ritual. When I immortalize a canon based crew I watch an ep featuring them. Adds a lil fun to it. I try doing some form of variant with the non-canon but I'm not as consistent.
  • Options
    The new reality is that until they change the ranked rewards to a percentage rather than the current finite range all the events are kinda weak tea. I used to finish top ~600 in every faction event. Now I finish ~1800 playing the same amount. I have a good crew, my gf also plays so she sends my shuttles when she gets up early for work. I kick start and use boosts. There are just a lot of people who play and evidently manage to get more shuttles out per day than me because of work or w/e, in an event with this many bonus crew it becomes painfully obvious that no matter what I do I am not going to break back into the top 1k. I play for threshold rewards and quit. I only spend on these new $10 offers if I need to finish off one of the event characters that I want to keep, which has been precious little of late. My overall event spending has definitely gone down with my odds of getting a supplementary 5* from the ranked rewards, I just don't have room for more random 1/5s.
    Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license for.
    -Lord Wizzlestix I
  • Options
    Capt. SlogCapt. Slog ✭✭
    edited December 2017
    This was my worst faction event in at least a year. I didn't even break 3000, usually rank 700 or better.

I failed half of my shuttles, and i never sent one out with less than 68%, MOST were 80-90%

I am very disheartened by this.

Same here, Love star trek, but just about done with this game failing shuttles (same as most of my fleet), at 80% is not fun

FFS at least change the rewards to a 1* gold card for the top 3000 or5000 or something, its a Card collection game after all
  • Options
    Just barely got 4x Mirror Vics; dropped a few hundred spots during Sunday night. And that was with fully exhausting my time boosts, then using skill boosts for every shuttle after that.

Granted, I need to use that kickstart strategy, but it's too difficult for me to move up once I get into that top 900-1400 range. I thought that I had pretty good crew. My squad loaned a Detective Data; I have a 2/5 Tempted Data, FF/FE Vic Fontane, FF/FE Mirror Jadzia Dax, Mirror Picard FE, a 1/5 Mirror Bashir, Mirror Phlox (and many more FF/FE 4* mirror crew). Four shuttles of course.

I'll still do faction events since they are easy to keep up with, and we need Terran items anyway, but I can't climb in the rankings like a galaxy event.
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Unless that's part of what you find fun. I have a ritual. When I immortalize a canon based crew I watch an ep featuring them. Adds a lil fun to it. I try doing some form of variant with the non-canon but I'm not as consistent.

Yeah, I can see how that could add some entertainment.

But it could quickly turn into punishment for immortalizing say, Sybok, Neelix, Wesley, or any Ferengi. :cold_sweat:

Anyways, thanks for sharing. I'll give it a whirl. :+1:
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know I won't win anything (or not much) from the faction events. Instead, I pick whatever faction isn't winning and play them hard. That builds up reputation. With them being in an event, after a few runs, I also begin earning yellow trainers. Then the event ends and I run the winning faction hard to collect more reputation and even more trainers.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Yeah, I can see how that could add some entertainment.

But it could quickly turn into punishment for immortalizing say, Sybok, Neelix, Wesley, or any Ferengi. :cold_sweat:

Anyways, thanks for sharing. I'll give it a whirl. :+1:

Oh but some of those Ferrengi are Magnificent. Seven of them in fact. :)

Sybok also is in the film with one of the best Kirk monologues in his entire characters history. The "I need my pain".
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    Another way to advance your rank without spending anything is to set your alarm to wake you every 3 hours overnight, rather than do the 9-hour shuttles. I've done this on occasion, when I've been going for a very high rank.

That really borders on having a problem.... kinda addicted. I would not in hell wake up in the middle of the night for a game (unless it is my partner waking me up) .
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"