Home The Bridge
Options

Worthless voyages

I had bought a bunch of dilithium before voyages got ruined. Since the change I have run a 20 hour voyage that earned 1 4* card, several 10 hour voyages with no 4* crew, and a lot less chronitrons. I have pretty much given up on obtaining anything useful from voyages anymore.

This basically has made moderate spending no longer useful in this game. I am pretty much just burning up my dilithium. If nothing improves in the next few weeks. I am pretty sure that I am done with this game. It's just too expensive for me to continue.

Comments

• Options
    That's it, playas 4/7 hours voyages, the and the g a me are Worth it without investment
  • Options
    I don't know if I really want to continue as a non-paying player. I was really enjoying being able to make significant progress improving my crew and seeing how well I could do in the events. I just can't budget more than the $100 or so a month I was allocating to this game, so without the steady stream of chronitrons and 4* crew that I was paying for, the things I enjoyed most about playing aren't really possible anymore. I really feel like DB is throwing players like me under the bus.

I could have dealt with a slight adjustment, but instead they have cut off the 4*s and flooded me with 2 and 3* cards which are basically equivalent to giving me garbage. I haven't had any use for 2 and 3* cards for a long time. And to top it off they cut the 1* crew that are actually easily immortalized and helpful for clearing the most lucrative achievement in the game.

This really shows "they made this game for us". They spin and lie more than the president does. That just makes it even worse.
  • Options
    Lady GaghgaghLady Gaghgagh ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Nicole K wrote: »
    I don't know if I really want to continue as a non-paying player. I was really enjoying being able to make significant progress improving my crew and seeing how well I could do in the events. I just can't budget more than the $100 or so a month I was allocating to this game, so without the steady stream of chronitrons and 4* crew that I was paying for, the things I enjoyed most about playing aren't really possible anymore. I really feel like DB is throwing players like me under the bus.

I could have dealt with a slight adjustment, but instead they have cut off the 4*s and flooded me with 2 and 3* cards which are basically equivalent to giving me garbage. I haven't had any use for 2 and 3* cards for a long time. And to top it off they cut the 1* crew that are actually easily immortalized and helpful for clearing the most lucrative achievement in the game.

This really shows "they made this game for us". They spin and lie more than the president does. That just makes it even worse.

I think you're onto the reality of the situation.
    DB said they were nerfing voyages because the rewards garnered by people who ran longer voyages seemed unfair to people who couldn't run 6+ hour voyages but in doing the nerf, they've actually hurt the people they wanted to help.

Everyone benefitted from voyages as they used to be, because before the nerf, no matter if you could only do a 4 hour voyage, voyages were still rife with benefits. Even on a 4 hour voyage, a player could net enough chrons to make a difference in cultivating their crew, now they can't because the rewards were sunk so low.
    Yet, I'm still hearing of people who do 10-12 hour voyages who are still netting tons of chrons, so DB actually made it where the people they wanted to benefit less (long voyage-goers) are now the only ones really benefitting, and the people DB wanted to benefit more (short voyage-goers) are getting diddly for their efforts.

Class, this is what a failed design implementation looks like.
    /ok I'll tone down the snark
    Admiral of the Haus of GaghGagh, Starbase level 94, we are not accepting members at this time.
    Captain of the voyage vessels: Queen of Bashir, Landsknecht, and Sunspear, the first luxury starship cruiseliners.
    Amenities include wifi, fully-functioning holodecks, a full-service bar, 3 party decks, a Trill spa, and a business centre.
    Fun fact: The ships are propelled by bouncy castle technology.
  • Options
    I only run long voyages usually at least 12 hours. Since the change, I haven't had any 4* crew result from any of those voyages. There was no value from extending the voyage since it only meant I got more 2 and 3* cards that are useless and unwanted.
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    I just finished a 10 hour voyage and got a number of 4* crew but only from dilemmas. I got lucky with some of my dilemmas but what I think is that it isn’t worth spending dilithium on anymore.

The crew chances that were suppose to be increased I have seen a decrease. I still like getting common and uncommon crew for honor and would much rather have them than more trainers.

Overall it is a shift in focus that we just need to adjust to. I will most likely only use dilithium now on packs and if expedition events appear
  • Options
    My heart goes out to you Nicole. I think your assessment of the situation is spot on. The nerf has not really helped newer players, the chron drops are really variable and after 4 hours can be almost non-existant at times. That 4-6 hour section is a real black hole of nothingness - it was always bad, but now?

I used to spend dil to extend voyages so I could enjoy leveling my crew and partaking in events. Now I'm not so sure. It's put me off buying any holiday specials at all because why would I? What am I gonna get for it? I kinda had money on one side too, and I just took it elsewhere.

Fo some people, we don't mind spending a bit, but we don't have rafts of cash and it really doesn't look as if DB has helped us much at all. But then, if you go by what they originally said, and then two days later said something entirely different, I'm not sure what they are saying matches the intent even slightly.

It's kind of, in a sad way, destroyed any trust I might have in the developers, and that is pretty sad thing, especially at this time of year.

I don't know what to say Nicole. Put in some feedback? I tried that and they said they'd bring it up at the next monthly review. I dunno. This the season to be jolly, so they say. And if you aren't enjoying yourself, best find someplace where you will. Or hope that DB controls their inner scrooge and opens the chroniton bag again for us moderate spenders.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    At the end of the day, if you're having fun, have fun. You might be able to find a way around it, come to a new equilibrium. And let DB know your concerns. I'm not sure whether they'd be too happy if people stopped spending or left the game, and it wouldn't do for the other players if it started to stagnate. It really might be worth letting them know how you feel and see what their response might be.
  • Options
    While I understand the point of the chron nerf - and also people who feel let down by it - for me it's more the (apparent?) crew nerf. Less chrons would have gone down better with me if there was actually an increase in crew and credits as advertised - not the opposite! Not sure what the benefit is to a business to advertise things just to walk back on them and let people down a few days later.

Aside from how it was handled, now voyages are still good for me. Just not good enough that I'll keep extending voyages as I did sometimes before.

@Nicole K it's actually very possible to build and advance your crew as a monthly card or F2P: With effort and strategy you can make top 1000 in every event, even without with your already built-up crew from when you were paying more. Without even buying event packs. I didn't buy a single one before this past week, and have been rank 100-1000 for some months, depending on effort. Now without spending dil on voyage extensions, you can budget your daily 100 from monthly card to an extra set of tickets here and there for cadet challenges which you require most.
  • Options
    My heart goes out to you Nicole. I think your assessment of the situation is spot on. The nerf has not really helped newer players, the chron drops are really variable and after 4 hours can be almost non-existant at times. That 4-6 hour section is a real black hole of nothingness - it was always bad, but now?

I used to spend dil to extend voyages so I could enjoy leveling my crew and partaking in events. Now I'm not so sure. It's put me off buying any holiday specials at all because why would I? What am I gonna get for it? I kinda had money on one side too, and I just took it elsewhere.

Fo some people, we don't mind spending a bit, but we don't have rafts of cash and it really doesn't look as if DB has helped us much at all. But then, if you go by what they originally said, and then two days later said something entirely different, I'm not sure what they are saying matches the intent even slightly.

It's kind of, in a sad way, destroyed any trust I might have in the developers, and that is pretty sad thing, especially at this time of year.

I don't know what to say Nicole. Put in some feedback? I tried that and they said they'd bring it up at the next monthly review. I dunno. This the season to be jolly, so they say. And if you aren't enjoying yourself, best find someplace where you will. Or hope that DB controls their inner scrooge and opens the chroniton bag again for us moderate spenders.

We sound like we're pretty similar except I bought a bunch of dilithium because I didn't think that they would actually ruin voyages. I always have wanted to give DB the benefit of the doubt and have often been criticized for it in the past. I am basically using the dilithium I bought because it is there, but the enjoyment I assumed I would get from buying it just isn't there.
  • Options
    Nicole KNicole K ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    While I understand the point of the chron nerf - and also people who feel let down by it - for me it's more the (apparent?) crew nerf. Less chrons would have gone down better with me if there was actually an increase in crew and credits as advertised - not the opposite! Not sure what the benefit is to a business to advertise things just to walk back on them and let people down a few days later.

Aside from how it was handled, now voyages are still good for me. Just not good enough that I'll keep extending voyages as I did sometimes before.

@Nicole K it's actually very possible to build and advance your crew as a monthly card or F2P: With effort and strategy you can make top 1000 in every event, even without with your already built-up crew from when you were paying more. Without even buying event packs. I didn't buy a single one before this past week, and have been rank 100-1000 for some months, depending on effort. Now without spending dil on voyage extensions, you can budget your daily 100 from monthly card to an extra set of tickets here and there for cadet challenges which you require most.

Yeah I would not be saying that they ruined voyages over just the chronitrons nerf. I'd probably have gotten over that. It's the nerf of 4* crew and chronitrons that have ruined voyages. Giving me 789 2 and 3* crew I don't want and do not help me is never going to be an improvement. I'm not sure how they think this is reasonable.
  • Options
    The crew/honor nerf is compounding the problem. By extending voyages I could gather just enough honor over a fortnight to add a star to new crew picked up in faction events. Now that's gone too. So, less chrons for galaxies, less honor for Faction events, less 4* cards to slowly fuse older crew not coming up in events, it's been a fairly serious nerf imo
  • Options
    ^ There are less 1* 2* and 3* crew now too though, amounting to less honour. Being a choose-your-own-crew (advertised: Assemble a Crew of Your Favourite Characters™) kind of player - that matters to me. Either up the honour, and/or leave crew drops as they were.
  • Options
    Hi Nicole, I think so too. I ran some long voyages just before and just after the nerf (before because I wanted to horde chrons, after to see what the changes were) and I was getting anywhere between 3 and 12 cache drops in a two hour period. That's a huge variation in possibilities, but generally works out considerably lower, not slightly. I think they've also ramped the RNG on crew drops but to be honest I've seen very little outside of dilemmas. It's almost impossible to calculate odds using RNG worked as it is. Anyway, I bought some crew slots and I'm out of dil. Just the monthly card for now.
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    I wouldn't call the voyages worthless, but they are most definitely way less... special. I used to keep tabs on everything, watch my phone like a hawk, set up alarms and whatnot to be on point with the dilemmas and recalls, because I knew that it keeps me in the game and helps me progress in a plethora of ways. Ever since the nerf, that feeling flew away like a frightened bird. Since the nerf I had a grand total of 2 dillemas in my daily 6 and 8 hour voyages with the potential to provide 4 star crew, which resulted in a KDF Gowron and 5* Replicator Rations. I haven't had a single 4* crew drop from voyage events. Heck, even the 3* crew has been really scarce, unless I get one from a dilemma.

Voyages used to be special - and now they're just a feature for a handful of freebies. I never complain about freebies, but I can safely say that I mostly stopped caring about them - sometimes doing dillemas half a day later or recalling right after the 6th hour with 1500 AM to spare, because I know I won't get anything much anyway...
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I
    Let me translate that from DBese:
    'crew' = 'trainers'
    'credits' = 'trainers'
    'chrons' = 'fun'
  • Options
    I'm seriously considering just letting Voyages fail now when they don't bring me any useful crew. It's quicker than waiting 3 hours or so for them to come back. A few chrons and basic components have become fairly useless to me now.
  • Options
    EtienneEtienne ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    OK here is my assessment so far:

It is still worth it to me to extend a Voyage once for the extra Chronotons now and then. though what DB considers as "slightly" does seem to be radically different from how others employ the word.

For me, the 4* guys have been completely eliminated. I haven't gotten even one and I did an 11 hour voyage the other day.

I would say that people are right in thinking that it is no longer worth it to expend vast amount of money to extend Voyages anymore and that you are just as well off to run a number of the shorter voyages. As a player, I don't see this as a big disadvantage... 1. you get to play more often and 2. you will save money or be able to put your limited resources to other uses. Personally, I am good with the changes because I was starting to spend too much money.

I am not going to stop playing because Voyages got changed and really I would like to see other changes of this sort particularly when it comes to events. All use of Dilithium needs to be completely eliminated from events and there should never ever be a chronoton sale during an event and should be limited to before or after an event and never during a Galaxy event . This would make things for more equatable for all players and to better meet their stated goal of, ".... changes are intended to balance rewards to fit a greater variety of playstyles".

So all in all, it is a good start but doesn't go quite far enough.

(also unrelated... the speed up in loading the game for me only lasted a few days and now the game loads same as it always did)
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xanathar wrote: »
    I'm seriously considering just letting Voyages fail now when they don't bring me any useful crew. It's quicker than waiting 3 hours or so for them to come back. A few chrons and basic components have become fairly useless to me now.

Yup, just did exactly that.
  • Options
    The main question to ask, from a strategic point of view, is how much extra you will get from extending a voyage with dilithium compared to the amount you would get from spending the same time on a "free" voyage. For example, if you can do two 6 hour voyages for free or a 12 hour voyage for X dilithium, is the X dilithium worth it? In this example, multiply your rewards from a 6 hour voyage by 2 to get a real comparison to the benefits of a 12 hour voyage. Of course, some people may be considering a free 8 hour voyage against an extended 10 hour voyage but the principle is the same. 5 eight hour voyages can be done in the same time as 4 10 hour ones. So multiply the rewards from an 8 hour voyage by 1.25 to compare them to the rewards from a 10 hour journey.

For many people, it's just no longer worth spending dilithium to extend a voyage.

P.s. Very annoyed that we seem to have been misled about crew drops on voyages and that there has still been no definitive statement from DB on that point. If there is no change to the probability of getting a 4* (or worse still, a reduction) they should say so. As it is, the last word we had on the subject was a claim we would have a better chance of getting crew on voyages and I'm fairly sure that is not true!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a deep crew. I sometimes go for 4 hour voyages (can't go longer yet). Mostly I send out voyages at the same time as shuttle missions and pull them back after the first dilemma. I get 5 voyages a day like that. Two hour voyages give an average of 50 to 60 chronitons and 100 honor. That gives 500 honor and 250-300 chronitons a day.
  • Options
    Obviously, DB is modeling their game book from the tax code. Take from those who are paying for the rest who are getting a free ride.

It's stated right in their explanation of why they made the changes. They said players who were extending their voyages past 4-6 hours were getting "unfair" advantages. WHAT? The players who paid for DIL to extend their voyages got an advantage??? How dare they!

At what point did F2P people get to steer the bus? When will people who don't pay understand they're not at an "unfair disadvantage". It's simply a disadvantage meant to coerce them into paying for an advantage like everyone else who has been in their shoes before them. Paying to receive something of value is legal and expected in life.
  • Options
    C6pilot wrote: »
    At what point did F2P people get to steer the bus?

F2P players aren't getting anything out of this either. That was just a convenient excuse for DB.

Only people who have been playing for less than a few months fail to make at least 6 hour Voyages on a regular basis.
  • Options

F2P players aren't getting anything out of this either. That was just a convenient excuse for DB.

Only people who have been playing for less than a few months fail to make at least 6 hour Voyages on a regular basis.

A friend of mine who has been playing practically since the beginning (and is VIP14 and still buys packs from time to time) can go 10 hours without using Dil. And he seldom extends because he doesn't see the benefit.

Others that are very new still cannot make 6 hours without an extension despite spending huge sums on the game. Even big spenders take a certain amount of time to obtain and FE a really good crew. It may be them that DB had in mind. But if so, I think they miscalculated.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I've been playing for more than six months and my best ships will run out of antimatter between the first and second dilemmas.
    Not sure what you consider "a few months", but I'm pretty sure your estimate of how much crew and schematics you need to make six hours without refueling is way off.

• Options
    While I don't think that voyages are worthless now they have definitely become less interesting for me. With fewer 4* characters and fewer chrons dropping I will no longer invest dilithium to expand voyages. So all I can say is: thank you DB for the changes because now I will spend less money on the game :-)
  • Options
    XanatharXanathar ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    SpyOne wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I've been playing for more than six months and my best ships will run out of antimatter between the first and second dilemmas.

That does seem poor. Are you going all out in events to get good crew (especially galaxy events which require prefarming)? Are you making sure you keep good crew in your active roster and not clutter it with useless 1* and 2* characters? (And are you levelling a few good characters rather than spreading your resources around many mediocre ones?) Are you sending shuttles constantly and maximising use of the gauntlet? And of course, are you making sure to put your best crew on Voyages, maxing primary and secondary skills?

If the answer to any of this is no, then that's fine - I'm not being critical. We all have different playing styles and priorities, so your style might not be suitable to Voyages. That's a perfectly valid decision to make.
  • Options
    Olivia q'AboOlivia q'Abo ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I was happy and content with the game before voyages were released.

After voyages were released, DB messed with my psyche by giving me a bunch of added stuff I didn't have prior to the new content. Thus increasing my time in game, my level of fun, and my spending.

Then they messed with my psyche again by taking back most of that stuff, thus decreasing my time in game and my level of fun.

The bad part is my level of fun now seems to be below where it was before voyages and as a result, I have decided to start spending "slightly" less real money on the game.

That's just me though, I can't speak for everyone else.