Home The Bridge
Options

Gauntlet hits a new low

As if the gauntlet isn't rigged against you enough...

Now they're preventing you from advancing. I just hit a Gauntlet wall where all opponents give you a +10 only.

True, I'm ranked 2 right now, but normally when you're in the top 5 or so, the first opponent gives you something, even if it's just a +25.

Now, nope. Just +10s all around.

And this is while I still have unfatigued crew available (not like this is the 8th or 9th battle after a refresh) 0n8ssas50n54.png
akzyb0h43whn.png

Comments

• Options
    I've encountered one of those too recently.
    But what troubles me the most, that the 10 points are sometimes stronger than the higher points.
  • Options
    I always encounter those...they're old news. And that's low on the totem pole in the DB greed area. I'm still pissed by the "if it brings us money we won't fix it" bugs.
  • Options
    NoneNone ✭✭✭
    I get the opposite all the time. If you go after the 10 trophy matches long enough, you get matches where the lowest opponent is 100+ trophies.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    Yea this happens pretty regularly, I usually just merit refresh those screens.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ogawd, what shall I do?
    wimmlslb4nnf.png
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    I always figured this was entirely based on the difference between your score and your randomly selected opponents score.

You're whining because you're number 2 and can't EZ Roll any farther?

/sigh
  • Options
    Match selection was probably "rigged" from the get go.

This is also why tracking aggregate match results is not a particularly compelling data point.
  • Options
    If gauntlet wanted to be fair, the reward should match the effort. If on the programming side they (DB) did something like calculate KNN to the n-th degree (using your stats as the center point), and used each degree as distance away, then we would see correlation between reward and effort.

That is, if DB wanted to make gauntlet make sense instead of it being a game vs RNGesus...
    In the immortal words of Spock: "Live long and prosper"
  • Options
    None wrote: »
    I get the opposite all the time. If you go after the 10 trophy matches long enough, you get matches where the lowest opponent is 100+ trophies.

This is what gets me honked off. I want to slow-roll for a long streak and the lowest is 80+. There's no rhyme or reason to the values of the matches.
  • Options
    Gauntlet was garbage they day it rolled out. But people will still defend it. So you’re wasting your time sadly.

Never seen a game where trying to be last is much more difficult than being first.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Just call the gauntlet disposable junk. Don't put any attachment into it, and hop in and burn all your crew when you remember. Most the time you'll get squat, and slowly build up your merits. But on occasion you'll get a few chrons in a galaxy event or a 3* or 4* piece of equipment that that could save you hundreds of chrons. Just equip it right away, otherwise you might get it again.

I used to get 10x premium packs, but those have been removed, but I still occasionally I get 1 or 3 premium portal pulls. Again, usually trash, but once in a while . . .

Guantlet's not a waste of time (say my 6 Guinans and 2 Locutus that see CONSTANT use), but it's not worth any emotional investment and you don't lose much if you miss a day or three.

Edit: BTW, just walk away for an hour when you hit a wall or the refresh brings up the same skill. the RNG gets stuck on stupid and you need a new time seed to fix it.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just call the gauntlet disposable junk. Don't put any attachment into it, and hop in and burn all your crew when you remember. Most the time you'll get squat, and slowly build up your merits. But on occasion you'll get a few chrons in a galaxy event or a 3* or 4* piece of equipment that that could save you hundreds of chrons. Just equip it right away, otherwise you might get it again.

I used to get 10x premium packs, but those have been removed, but I still occasionally I get 1 or 3 premium portal pulls. Again, usually trash, but once in a while . . .

Guantlet's not a waste of time (say my 6 Guinans and 2 Locutus that see CONSTANT use), but it's not worth any emotional investment and you don't lose much if you miss a day or three.

Edit: BTW, just walk away for an hour when you hit a wall or the refresh brings up the same skill. the RNG gets stuck on stupid and you need a new time seed to fix it.

I just run my characters into the wall. Thats the thing about no emotional investment time. You don't care if you win or lose you can just plow on til everyones down. It doesn't matter if you finish 1st or 51st.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I always figured this was entirely based on the difference between your score and your randomly selected opponents score.

You're whining because you're number 2 and can't EZ Roll any farther?

/sigh

No, I'm "whining" because I'm seeing new behavior I've never seen before. This is what I normally see. 61i7k8wxaol6.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    And this
    I'm not expecting +250 or +125. But +25, +50 is normal behavior. +10s are not. 8pn9d51y5pow.png

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is what it is. Everyone gets the same crew. I keep seeing lots of Santa Picards.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    This has happened to me a bunch of times. I don't think it's in any way a new low; this is standard sucky gauntlet behaviour.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you usually push for the lead in gauntlet or hang back?

I am regularly in the top 5 or so and have been presented lineups like this for forever. If you are usually a bit lower, that may explain why you are just now seeing this behavior.
  • Options
    I'm usually in the top 10 until the last round or two, when I run out of steam. Half the time, I finish top 10, half the time 11-20.

In over 5000 rounds of gauntlet post achievements (and probably the same before achievements), I've never seen this before.

If this is common behavior, then I don't understand how it is possible to get 4000-5000 pts in Gauntlet (typical winning score). That would be thousands, if not millions of dil spent refreshing your crew just to crawl along 10 pts at a time.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I'm usually in the top 10 until the last round or two, when I run out of steam. Half the time, I finish top 10, half the time 11-20.

In over 5000 rounds of gauntlet post achievements (and probably the same before achievements), I've never seen this before.

If this is common behavior, then I don't understand how it is possible to get 4000-5000 pts in Gauntlet (typical winning score). That would be thousands, if not millions of dil spent refreshing your crew just to crawl along 10 pts at a time.

My highest scores were over 5000 (0 dil). High scores like that require a few things:

1. Lots of merit refreshes
    2. Competition. Others need to be passing you so your potential scores go up
    3. SHALLOW competition. You need 5 or so people keeping up with you, but the next 10 or so need to be beatable with two to three fatigue debuffs
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    In case it's not clear, the trophies awarded for a win are equal to 100 - 5 * (their_rank - your_rank). The calculated result seems to be capped at 10 on the low end and 250 at the high end.

What this means is that when you're hanging out at #1, you need to get a top 18 matchup to net more than 10 trophies. I'm not sure how the algorithm selects your 6 opponents, but I've been at #1 enough times that I've run into this situation a lot.

If it were truly random opponent selection, the odds of getting all opponents lower than 18 when ranked #1 would be ~0.9^6, or about 50%. These types of lineups don't happen that regularly so the game is actually "cheating" in your favour.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭

Some people like to keep their streaks going.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals