Home The Bridge
Options

Event commitments

Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
Community question, it seems many players really revile expedition events due to too much clicking and work. On Christmas Eve I got about 100K VP in 45 minutes or so during the expedition phase, and tonight I watched 4 episodes of DS9 and then some on Netflix, and managed about 200K VP over 6K chronotons in this event to get into (barely) the top 1000 (I had 90K VP from phase 1). As far as time and clicking go, I feel numb enough to take a break to come here to ask, am I doing something wrong? Or is this level of clicking actually better than expeditions for folks? I have a lot of 5*s immortalized, so maybe I have a skewed take on expeditions, but I was curious because the exp event hate is so intense sometimes. I seldom go all in competitive, but I managed 3 Trois out of packs (trying to get Janeway) and decided fate had made my choice for me to get into the top 1000. If I am doing something wrong, better to learn now than later :)

Comments

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Torias327 wrote: »
    Community question, it seems many players really revile expedition events due to too much clicking and work. On Christmas Eve I got about 100K VP in 45 minutes or so during the expedition phase, and tonight I watched 4 episodes of DS9 and then some on Netflix, and managed about 200K VP over 6K chronotons in this event to get into (barely) the top 1000 (I had 90K VP from phase 1). As far as time and clicking go, I feel numb enough to take a break to come here to ask, am I doing something wrong? Or is this level of clicking actually better than expeditions for folks? I have a lot of 5*s immortalized, so maybe I have a skewed take on expeditions, but I was curious because the exp event hate is so intense sometimes. I seldom go all in competitive, but I managed 3 Trois out of packs (trying to get Janeway) and decided fate had made my choice for me to get into the top 1000. If I am doing something wrong, better to learn now than later :)

It's a mix. I'm having the same experience as you, though I've been an expedition advocate for a long time.

Some folks click less than others as they have Warp 10.
    Some folks think having to think about who they click on a mission screen is more clicks than going through all the items in a recipe.
    Some folks are just pissed off at the extra tickets that were given out.
    Some folks don't like/are unable to play every day of an event and galaxies let you spend the chrons whenever without having to worry about daily reset.
    Some folks also insanely run their ticket to the very end of exhausting every single character they have to a very modest, if not ludicrously small return on time investment.

I think galaxies are more taps/clicks in the long run.
    And with the same aggravation with animations.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had about 8,000 stashed chrons, so I did Warp10 everything for those hours, but you raise good points. The time commitment is more lax, even if more intense long run, than hitting tickets each day. And I never exhaust my crew in expedition, I do nodes and cancel, because I’d rather buy a set of tickets than even consider the alternative. 2,000 chrons left, here’s to hoping I can stay top 1000. Is it generally considered the thing to do to not do any bonus turn ins until right before the event ends? Feel like I read that somewhere. I have 415 bonus pieces stored up.
  • Options
    Galaxy events just require tapping. You don't really have to think about it, just find something you need and tap the Warp button a few dozen times whilst doing something else. If you've prefarmed and saved a few chrons, all it needs is time to do well. You can't really go wrong. Event crew don't matter much so you aren't at a big disadvantage if you don't have someone. People are generally on an equal footing.

With Expeditions, it requires more thought. Selecting the right crew is crucial. Because of the fatigue thing, if you use the wrong person in the wrong mission, you might end up missing out on important VP further down the line. Sometimes the person you want to use is way down the bottom of your rosta meaning agonising scrolling... Event crew makes a big difference. Also, whales can just buy more tickets, significantly reducing their need to tap.

I do think expeditions are a nice change of pace every now and then. But little changes like having a way to mark a "favourite" crew so they're always at the top would make the experience much less of a chore.
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Is it generally considered the thing to do to not do any bonus turn ins until right before the event ends? Feel like I read that somewhere. I have 415 bonus pieces stored up.
    The benefit of storing them is mainly seen in full Galaxy events, where there's a phase 1 and phase 2. Since the turn-in value resets for phase 2, there's some logic in using them all at once so that you get the full value. However the benefit is small, and we had a thread here comparing the two methods a few weeks ago. In some cases it doesn't make much difference.

Here where there's only one phase of Galaxy there's really no need to hold them. Unless you're trying to surprise your competition with a big, unexpected surge at the end. Some people like doing that but there's no VP benefit.

• Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Expeditions are very annoying. It isnt just the clicking its the waiting while we see the crew stat proficiency go back and forth before settling on a number and then waiting to see of that number is high enough to clear the node. It is very time consuming when u have to do it a thousand times and it requires much more clicking than galaxy events where you can pre farm or warp 10.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Expeditions are very annoying. It isnt just the clicking its the waiting while we see the crew stat proficiency go back and forth before settling on a number and then waiting to see of that number is high enough to clear the node. It is very time consuming when u have to do it a thousand times and it requires much more clicking than galaxy events where you can pre farm or warp 10.

Warp 10ing the ingredients is the least of the tapping in galaxies. There's the building of the items with the equally annoying animations which is a lot more tapping and time consuming than just getting the starred nodes in an expedition. You've got the character selection in both scenarios and the wait to see if you get two animations rather than one in the galaxy each item build, then the turn in after every 2-3 builds.....
  • Options
    IrialIrial ✭✭✭✭
    I do not know about 'click count', but with respect to time consumption, a Galaxy event will definitely require more than an Expedition event, assuming one is going for a relatively high ranking (e.g., top 1000).

After your first couple of passes through the missions of an Expedition event, you can figure out what is the best sequence of crew to use to maximize your VP, and then generally will spend 20 to 25 minutes per ticket (assuming as someone else wrote you only clear the Rare Rewards, and don't grind out a long stream of 100/50/25 VP runs). If there were a non-hybrid 4 day Expedition event, on the high end, your total time commitment would be about 6 hours.

Even assuming you have extensively pre-farmed, and do not need to Warp1 or Warp10 any missions for a lengthy time to top up inventory, I highly doubt anyone will be able to get through enough recipes in 6 hours to give them the VP needed to finish in the top 1000 of a non-hybrid 4 day Galaxy event.
  • Options
    Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    Irial wrote: »
    I do not know about 'click count', but with respect to time consumption, a Galaxy event will definitely require more than an Expedition event, assuming one is going for a relatively high ranking (e.g., top 1000).

After your first couple of passes through the missions of an Expedition event, you can figure out what is the best sequence of crew to use to maximize your VP, and then generally will spend 20 to 25 minutes per ticket (assuming as someone else wrote you only clear the Rare Rewards, and don't grind out a long stream of 100/50/25 VP runs). If there were a non-hybrid 4 day Expedition event, on the high end, your total time commitment would be about 6 hours.

Even assuming you have extensively pre-farmed, and do not need to Warp1 or Warp10 any missions for a lengthy time to top up inventory, I highly doubt anyone will be able to get through enough recipes in 6 hours to give them the VP needed to finish in the top 1000 of a non-hybrid 4 day Galaxy event.

You will actually get five sets of tickets for a four day expedition as the first set is only 12 hours (event start 12pm EST and reset at 12am) but your basic premise is probably still valid. The last event was particularly bad because of the bonus six tickets which meant you had to grind nine tickets in one day or, using your math, about four hours on Christmas Eve or Christmas.

One other difference that pure click count and time spent doesn’t capture is that galaxy is basically brain dead clicking, so easier to do even if it consumes more time. You can even craft while watching TV and I have done so. Easy to click for three hours while watching four episodes of DS9. Expedition requires full attention for crew selection on each node, dragging the crew member to the right mission path, etc. so requires quite a bit more concentration which results in faster mental fatigue and perception of grinding even if total time spent and number of clicks is less.

I like faction because it takes a minute every three hours. The only downside is ending up with a 3/4 threshold which is why I save my limited monthly DIL cars for event pulls on factions with a new 4* threshold in the hope I will get one (or maybe the 5*) so I don’t have a zillion 3/4* clogging my limited crew slots.

Galaxy comes second for me and I don’t like it because of the grinding and time. I also don’t like wasting chron and resources crafting items for the black hole for four days. I can still place top 1000 if I want to or, if I really don’t care (like for the previous torchbearer Rejak) I’ll aim for 1500-2000 so I get both FF 4*. The additional community awards is the only big plus to galaxy events as you will not get stuck with a 3/4* you can’t send to the freezer.

Expedition comes last because, as I said above, the mental grind is huge every step of the way. There are no community awards unlike galaxy. And unlike the other two, you basically have to pay for sure because an extra ticket is only 20 DIL but gets 40K VP, if you don’t pay and grind at least one or two extra tickets a day (extending the time spent as per your original calculation) a top 1000 finish is unlikely. In other words, just playing the free tickets even optimized for max VP with event and bonus characters is unlikely to get a top 1000 finish unlike the other two event types where you can finish top 1000 without spending any DIL or money.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think some QoL upgrades would make expeditions better, but I definitely like them better than galaxies.

Galaxies take more time, eat 4 or more days of chrons, deplete your inventory, stop you from levelling crew, and take an extra hit to leveling event crew by using the same components the event crew do, putting you at least a few more days in chron debt getting those components back.

I only find the first 3 expedition runs taxing. By the fourth I know who goes where, but can experiment with mission order or crew optimization if I feel like it. Meanwhile the rest of the game goes on and progresses. Event crew can even do better as the event goes on.

However, there's no doubt, DB needs to unlazy and get creative and make some new event types and twists, 'cos this lack of variety is getting old. There are even numerous ideas throughout the forums, all they'd need to do is play test after some pretty strait forward programming needing little creatve thought.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

You will actually get five sets of tickets for a four day expedition as the first set is only 12 hours (event start 12pm EST and reset at 12am) but your basic premise is probably still valid. The last event was particularly bad because of the bonus six tickets which meant you had to grind nine tickets in one day or, using your math, about four hours on Christmas Eve or Christmas.

One other difference that pure click count and time spent doesn’t capture is that galaxy is basically brain dead clicking, so easier to do even if it consumes more time. You can even craft while watching TV and I have done so. Easy to click for three hours while watching four episodes of DS9. Expedition requires full attention for crew selection on each node, dragging the crew member to the right mission path, etc. so requires quite a bit more concentration which results in faster mental fatigue and perception of grinding even if total time spent and number of clicks is less.

I like faction because it takes a minute every three hours. The only downside is ending up with a 3/4 threshold which is why I save my limited monthly DIL cars for event pulls on factions with a new 4* threshold in the hope I will get one (or maybe the 5*) so I don’t have a zillion 3/4* clogging my limited crew slots.

Galaxy comes second for me and I don’t like it because of the grinding and time. I also don’t like wasting chron and resources crafting items for the black hole for four days. I can still place top 1000 if I want to or, if I really don’t care (like for the previous torchbearer Rejak) I’ll aim for 1500-2000 so I get both FF 4*. The additional community awards is the only big plus to galaxy events as you will not get stuck with a 3/4* you can’t send to the freezer.

Expedition comes last because, as I said above, the mental grind is huge every step of the way. There are no community awards unlike galaxy. And unlike the other two, you basically have to pay for sure because an extra ticket is only 20 DIL but gets 40K VP, if you don’t pay and grind at least one or two extra tickets a day (extending the time spent as per your original calculation) a top 1000 finish is unlikely. In other words, just playing the free tickets even optimized for max VP with event and bonus characters is unlikely to get a top 1000 finish unlike the other two event types where you can finish top 1000 without spending any DIL or money.

In the last 4 expeditions (not counting this one) I've played I've gotten top 1000 without paid extra tickets in 3.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the above comment about new event types, but let’s face it, they can’t trial test anything, even a single error is likely to send the forums into a week long screeching fit, and in the current state of affairs, there are likely to be many more than just a single error if they try anything new. The player base may have had patience at one point, but the last few weeks have seriously tested that. I doubt they would want to experiment with anything in the current state of affairs. I’d prefer a static, revised reward system before a dynamic new event be rolled out. But that’s just me. That said, 8,000 chrons has not been enough to even break 1300th place, and there’s 21 hours to go. Feeling fantastic about using my stock up and trying for once, but lesson learned. 8 hours over the holiday sunk, and a ton of committed resources means I keep going in every way possible. I’m feeling optimistic still, but I doubt I will ever want to compete in a galaxy again after this, so maybe even a flawed new event type is a good idea.
  • Options
    Nero84Nero84 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the above comment about new event types, but let’s face it, they can’t trial test anything, even a single error is likely to send the forums into a week long screeching fit, and in the current state of affairs, there are likely to be many more than just a single error if they try anything new. The player base may have had patience at one point, but the last few weeks have seriously tested that. I doubt they would want to experiment with anything in the current state of affairs. I’d prefer a static, revised reward system before a dynamic new event be rolled out. But that’s just me. That said, 8,000 chrons has not been enough to even break 1300th place, and there’s 21 hours to go. Feeling fantastic about using my stock up and trying for once, but lesson learned. 8 hours over the holiday sunk, and a ton of committed resources means I keep going in every way possible. I’m feeling optimistic still, but I doubt I will ever want to compete in a galaxy again after this, so maybe even a flawed new event type is a good idea.

Do you still have your 400 plus rare rewards? You should be fine as long as you do minor upkeep to keep position.

Most people don’t save those rewards till the very end.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Im under 1000 now at an expense of around 6-7k chrons. Guess I had good ingredients stockpiled. (I didn't intentionally prefarm.)

Worked on my Young Khan some buy may have to invest some more chrons on this thing to see if I can maintain position
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 550 now. That’s where I still feel pretty secure. I was going to turn in with 12 hours left, assuming most folks have work/holiday hang over to sleep off. The numbers in the top 50 being 800K plus are what’s keeping me cautious, that’s 350K over me. The rares are probably worth about 180K with rough math per the wiki, so I feel good, but I’ve learned to never feel safe :)
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I have had many events where the last 2 hours go bonkers and I only ever feel safe if I’m below 600 in the final 12 hours. I’ve dropped hundreds of places in the last hours too many times though, and Troi is both medical, and a coveted crew it seems.

I did no prefarming of anything, I was lucky in having a decent stock of many of the required drops, but until the game threw 3 trois and only 1 Janeway at me from the packs I bought, I had no intention of actually playing this one. The reward plus double up FF’s for me, and my Double up was on cool down thursday.
  • Options
    Torias327Torias327 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wanted to pop in and say thanks for the support and encouragement I got here during the event. It did go bonkers in the last 3 hours, but I managed to stay at 730th place and got my Troi. Until the rewards tiers are re-evaluated, I really believe this is my last galaxy event, but I appreciated the advice and positive words along the way!!
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

In the last 4 expeditions (not counting this one) I've played I've gotten top 1000 without paid extra tickets in 3.

Me too... but that was mostly because they were hybrid with a strong first half shuttle performance and post phase 1 shuttles... but even a 4/4 boosted shuttle gives only 32K VP and spending a lousy 20 DIL on one ticket gives 40K... for a full expedition event, I think Quadrilateral was the last one and I got my butt kicked... I think for that you really have to have event crew and buy one or two cheaper tickets a day in order to compete.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s funny...I used to hate Expeditions because of the rare reward RNG thing. Then DB fixed that glaring error and I recall liking the first Expedition after that fix. This time around, I found the Expedition to be way too time-consuming...probably because I was angling for a ranked reward rather than just being a content tourist and because it doesn’t waste chrons like Galaxy events. Good thing I couldn’t fall asleep or I never would have gotten a fourth star for Mirror Mayweather.

I guess the summary of that rambling is that I only like faction events, because even with time-reducing boosts they are less time-consuming than other event types.
  • Options
    eXo | Cadet MatteXo | Cadet Matt ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Expeditions were my favorite event type even before they made all of the quality of life improvements. It continues to be my favorite. Low time commitment, don’t have to spend credits/chronitons/equipment building recipes, shuttles remain available to run needed missions. The only thing that made the last expedition event tedious was trying to spend 9 tickets (daily reset + 6 from mail) in one day. Beyond that, it was an event experience that I enjoyed and would be willing to buy packs for to get featured crew.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Me too... but that was mostly because they were hybrid with a strong first half shuttle performance and post phase 1 shuttles... but even a 4/4 boosted shuttle gives only 32K VP and spending a lousy 20 DIL on one ticket gives 40K... for a full expedition event, I think Quadrilateral was the last one and I got my butt kicked... I think for that you really have to have event crew and buy one or two cheaper tickets a day in order to compete.

Quadrilateral was a rerun last time and I managed to have some of the event crew already.
    Existing crew being used is always my savior in all event types. I so rarely buy event packs, usually just faction to get the last star on a 4 and even then only some of the time.

Course I have a real deep crew so if there are existing 4s being used I probably have them.
    Also bonus crew should not be undersold, you still get some VPs off of them.

I did do some grinding in Quad--- I ground my last ticket each day with whatever time I had spare.
    (Didn't go nutty ball just whatever time I was bored....) and still got extra VPs that way.
  • Options
    edited January 2018

Quadrilateral was a rerun last time and I managed to have some of the event crew already.
    Existing crew being used is always my savior.

It’s a rerun only if you played it first time around. I had nothing then and still have nothing now so if it comes around for a third time... probably get my butt kicked again... which is curious as I’m almost always top 1000 in events (unless it’s a galaxy I dont want to grind like the previous torchbearer event and this upcoming one).
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭

Existing crew being used is always my savior.

It’s a rerun only if you played it first time around. I had nothing then and still have nothing now so if it comes around for a third time... probably get my butt kicked again... which is curious as I’m almost always top 1000 in events (unless it’s a galaxy I dont want to grind like the previous torchbearer event and this upcoming one).

There's always a chance you'll pull some even this week on community rewards. That's how I got my LaForge for Quad....