Home The Bridge
Options

New Year's Wishes

Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2017 in The Bridge
In a few days, I'll be marking my one year anniversary playing Star Trek Timelines. There have been very few frivolous diversions in my life that I have stuck with for so long, especially ones which I have also spent so much time with. Usually I burn bright like a supernova for a short while, then flame out completely, leaving nothing but a black hole behind. Here, however, I have found an outlet that has captured my attention and kept me involved & challenged.

One big reason why I'm still here and still enjoying STT so much is the interactions with the members of my fleet, so I'd like to give a shout out to Colonial Fleet Ohio. CFOH is that rare place with good people who enjoy having fun chatting with each other, but who also love competing at the highest level (without all the stringent rules, formality, and occasional divisiveness that often comes along with seeking out high ranks in events and contests). I sincerely wish for all of you to find a fleet with a great group of folks like I have.

I have seen a lot of big improvements to the game since I started, which give me hope for the future. The new versions of STT, while not always smooth transitions, did bring many welcome changes. Gauntlet was a cool new addition and without it my stash of merits would be hovering around zero most days, instead of allowing me to regularly stock up on needed items in the Faction centers. Voyages were a wonderful new thing, and the extra chronitons were marvelous — now, they're not nearly as rewarding, but it is still better to have them at their current diminished state than not to have them at all.

While I may not still be here playing this game at the end of 2018, I find myself thinking about what I would like to see happen between now and then.

For one, I would like to see new event types added to the rotation. Recently after the seemingly endless versions and iterations of the same two event types — Galaxy - Shuttle - Shuttle - Hybrid - Hybrid - Galaxy — I welcomed having an Expedition event merely to break things up and have something different. Now, after having done one again (and having placed in the top 20), I remembered why I didn't like them and realized that they weren't the answer I was looking for. Ideally, we need to have at least 2 new types of events added to the schedule, for those of us who have been playing awhile and for whom ennui and fatigue are starting to set in. Give us something new and exciting, DB! Keep us engaged and enthusiastic. I propose 2 new event types each year, actually.

I would also like to see all events shortened by one day. Friday to Monday is fine. Thursday to Monday makes the whole term "event" seem far less special, since we have less "ordinary" days than ostensibly "extraordinary" ones. My point of view is tha it'd be a lot easier to get psyched up for a weekend event when we had one extra day to take care of other non-event business in the game.

There are of course many other suggestions I could add, but this post is already bursting at the seams. >:)

As a final thought, I want to thank the many contributors to the forum and the wiki, who have helped me make my way in the game since the beginning, and who continue to do so on a nearly daily basis. And thanks as well to those who have welcomed me and interacted with me here. If you've read a lot of my posts, you know I don't suffer fools gladly, but you probably also know that, despite my best intentions, I am occasionally one of those fools — so I appreciate that there are still a fair amount of people here who seem to tolerate me. ;)

May 2018 be a better year in every way! Not just for STT, but for you personally, and of course for the world at large.

And one last thing: If you're out celebrating with Deanna Troi tonight, please don't let her drive.

azus7aV.gif

3kxowq703oqb.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"

Comments

• Options
    edited December 2017
    Happy new year, on the 3rd of January I will also complete my first year in STT :) I wish everyone on the forums an amazing new year, and all the best in your private and professional lives :)
  • Options
    Mr. LincolnMr. Lincoln ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy new year to all trekkies out there!
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well said, Mr Data. Happy New Year, everyone!
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best wishes for a happy & prosperous year! May all your beholds be legendary.
  • Options
    A Happy New Year to everyone! It is a pleasure serving with you in the Colonial Fleet Ohio and I hope that together we can wish everyone a prosperous New Year again next year ( so, no, you can't leave during the next year)!
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a pleasure serving with you in the Colonial Fleet Ohio and I hope that together we can wish everyone a prosperous New Year again next year ( so, no, you can't leave during the next year)!

No need to worry, Silver… 

twjutlwktzcj.gif

And as far as the future goes… 

r62tRuw.gif

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Happy New Year Trekkies, best of wishes to everyone for making this game as great as it is and what it can / hopefully will become. Special cheers to Liam and Silver, two of the classiest folks in this game.

Love the suggestion for shortening the event length. The monotony of event types is further exacerbated by the length and now these dreadful 5 day events. Would love to see some new type of events, some weekends off for a change and shortened length. How about an emphasis on quality vs quantity, better artwork and less glitches instead of event after event. Consider revamping the rewards tables both rank and threshold. Squad rank rewards are nothing now after voyages, make them worth while, and add fleet rank rewards. Keep the additional threshold rewards even on normal events, more of a reason to play to higher rank.

Alright enough ranting from me, I'll end by saying thanks to everyone putting in time here and on other online resources that have helped make this game more enjoyable.