Home Strange New Worlds
Options

Just Finished DS9

Yes I have just completed watching DS9 for the first time. The last few episodes were truly great. I loved how it all played out. Much of the series was slow going but there were awesome episodes sprinkled in and the concluding episodes made it all worth while. As for characters, I actually really liked Rom the most. I know that prolly sounds weird. I see what people mean by the sense of togetherness of the characters. I didn’t really feel any one character but I did feel them all as a whole. They are certainty the best crew of fighters and scrappers of any Star Trek. Quite some time ago I created a poll of what is your favorite series. I’m glad I did because so many people said DS9 that I saw I had to watch it. I’m very glad I did

Comments

• Options
    While I've always considered TNG my favorite series, the character dynamics on DS9 are amazing, especially Kira/Dukat, and Odo/Quark.
  • Options
    Yes I have just completed watching DS9 for the first time. The last few episodes were truly great. I loved how it all played out. Much of the series was slow going but there were awesome episodes sprinkled in and the concluding episodes made it all worth while. As for characters, I actually really liked Rom the most. I know that prolly sounds weird. I see what people mean by the sense of togetherness of the characters. I didn’t really feel any one character but I did feel them all as a whole. They are certainty the best crew of fighters and scrappers of any Star Trek. Quite some time ago I created a poll of what is your favorite series. I’m glad I did because so many people said DS9 that I saw I had to watch it. I’m very glad I did

Rom is basically the most innocent person in the show, that's what makes him so likeable. He is him self. I think he's a great character.

What are your favoritem episodes?

I like "The Vistor." It makes me get emotional in a way that I never had before I watched. I watched this episode after my mom passed and it made me think of her.
    Proud Member of Everlong and avid Star Trek Fan

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rom is basically the most innocent person in the show, that's what makes him so likeable. He is him self. I think he's a great character.

What are your favoritem episodes?

I like "The Vistor." It makes me get emotional in a way that I never had before I watched. I watched this episode after my mom passed and it made me think of her.

I liked the one where the Cardassian former guard was trying to get himself executed out of guilt. The one where Sisko was caught in a time thing and Jake lived out his whole life and kept seeing him. The one where they went to Kirks Enterprise was cool, when Worf decided to have Kurn’s Memory erased was pretty powerful, I also liked the way the 4 or 6 episodes ended. It was pretty intense and well written.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    My favorite Rom moment.
    Brainstorming the Minefield while working on wedding and post wedding details.
  • Options
    ClanofClanof ✭✭✭
    My favourite character is probably Garak, but Nog is close for me. Like Rom (and unlike Garak), Nog is not a very popular choice, but the way he grows over the series I thought was very touching and very real.
  • Options
    I've probably watched DS9 through 2 times along with a scattering of episodes now and then when I just want to put something on. I am going through it for the 3rd time now - about 4 episodes into Season 6. So you can see that I do like it... it's probably right behind TNG for me.
    The one where Sisko was caught in a time thing and Jake lived out his whole life and kept seeing him. The one where they went to Kirks Enterprise was cool, when Worf decided to have Kurn’s Memory erased was pretty powerful, I also liked the way the 4 or 6 episodes ended. It was pretty intense and well written.

So, STT gets "Best Selling Author Jake Sisko" from the Sisko caught in time. 1701 Sisko and Jadzia from Kirk's Enterprise "Trials and Tribble-ations" - which was a great mashup. Also, Pah-Wraith Dukat from those last episodes. Lot's of DS9 crew in STT :wink:

Oh, and are you going to change your screen name now? Is "Enterprise Was Best"?
    Pallidyne wrote: »
    My favorite Rom moment. Brainstorming the Minefield while working on wedding and post wedding details.

Just saw this episode last night... for me, sometimes the best ideas come when you're stressing about something else! Had to have some humor in that episode as those mines were quite the serious buildup to the Dominion war.

"Children of Time" was a good episode - Odo was so much more relaxed and open to Kira, but also made a big choice by reprogramming the Defiant to not go back in time again.

Garak is such a good character all around. He's got those eyes that show his emotions well without saying anything. Everything he says is in code, and episodes like "Empok Nor" shows his evil side.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kinda off but on the topic of Garak.
    Has anyone read A Stitch in Time by Andrew Robinson (the actor who played Garak wrote a Garak novel)
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did enjoy DS9 however my forum name will remain as is. Enterprise is still the show that speaks to me
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have liked it if they ended Dukat’s storyline with him as a blind beggar on the streets of Bajor surgically altered to be a Bajoran. I believe that would have been the perfect fitting end for him
  • Options
    DS9 is my favorite Star Trek, but I would have to say there are many small points about the ending that I kinda don’t like. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone, though the show is over 20 years old now so if you haven’t seen it and you’re on a Star Trek forum all I can say is, huh?! Anyway, I like what happens with Sisko and Dukat but at the same time it ended up feeling a bit incomplete somehow. Otherwise I love the whole thing. I guess it’s a bittersweet kind of thing, but that just makes it even better in some ways. Also, I odddly enough always feel sorry for Winn in the end. Oh, and Damar too. That was the other point I had issue with. What happens to Damar, even if he is a murdering **tsk tsk**, makes me angry every time I watch it.
    Weirdly enough, I’m also Vulcan Housewife. Also, RNGesus hates me, like really, REALLY hates me.
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    DS9 is my favorite Star Trek, but I would have to say there are many small points about the ending that I kinda don’t like. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone, though the show is over 20 years old now so if you haven’t seen it and you’re on a Star Trek forum all I can say is, huh?! Anyway, I like what happens with Sisko and Dukat but at the same time it ended up feeling a bit incomplete somehow. Otherwise I love the whole thing. I guess it’s a bittersweet kind of thing, but that just makes it even better in some ways. Also, I odddly enough always feel sorry for Winn in the end. Oh, and Damar too. That was the other point I had issue with. What happens to Damar, even if he is a murdering *hugs*, makes me angry every time I watch it.

I'm going to try to not spoil too much in case there is actually someone else who hasn't finished it.

The thing about Damar is that it does the one thing it was meant to do. It evokes a strong emotion. The shout "For Cardassia" is echoed and grows in power with that moment.

With Winn -- when you can actually have some empathy for a villain, well they were well written and executed. I didn't feel as much as there were other developments with Anjohl and others that calloused me to it, but the surprise on her face was something else.

On the Sisko front, I think that is why the "Season 8" books were a decent seller for a while. Or on other characters as well Andrew Robinson feeling Garaks story needed a further ending writing "A Stitch In Time" while doing Q&As at conventions...

I find the relationship of Ross, Sisko and Martok fascinating. The scene with the bloodwine demonstrates such differences between them when you've had the similarities shown throughout the war.

DS9 is actually is the only Trek finale to really evoke a variety of emotions for me. I found the Kassidy/Sisko moment to be touching. To this day my wife or I will look at the other and say "Minsk!" and get a good belly laugh in. I think the fact that many characters had their own path in different directions made it unique. (In a sense if you think the TNG Finale is Nemesis it shares that quality with Riker and Troi leaving the nest for the Titan). And it feels like there were echoes of the Visitor with Jake.

Looking at the other series, many times the finale was a weak spot. In TNG and Voy characters take odd directions (like Worf/Troi, Seven/Chakotay) that make no sense based on the rest of the series. Ent -- well the finale's been beaten to death. DS9 suffers a bit from the anti-climax of wrapping things up, especially with Dogs of War giving a Combs buffet and Ferengi finale.

But like every year, I'll watch it all again from front to back... just takes a little more time with a small child around who is now just old enough to have discovered Sesame Street and reruns of Mister Rogers :)
  • Options
    MagisseMagisse ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would have liked it if they ended Dukat’s storyline with him as a blind beggar on the streets of Bajor surgically altered to be a Bajoran. I believe that would have been the perfect fitting end for him
    To the pain?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DS9 is my favorite Star Trek, but I would have to say there are many small points about the ending that I kinda don’t like. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone, though the show is over 20 years old now so if you haven’t seen it and you’re on a Star Trek forum all I can say is, huh?! Anyway, I like what happens with Sisko and Dukat but at the same time it ended up feeling a bit incomplete somehow. Otherwise I love the whole thing. I guess it’s a bittersweet kind of thing, but that just makes it even better in some ways. Also, I odddly enough always feel sorry for Winn in the end. Oh, and Damar too. That was the other point I had issue with. What happens to Damar, even if he is a murdering *hugs*, makes me angry every time I watch it.

I'm going to try to not spoil too much in case there is actually someone else who hasn't finished it.

The thing about Damar is that it does the one thing it was meant to do. It evokes a strong emotion. The shout "For Cardassia" is echoed and grows in power with that moment.

With Winn -- when you can actually have some empathy for a villain, well they were well written and executed. I didn't feel as much as there were other developments with Anjohl and others that calloused me to it, but the surprise on her face was something else.

On the Sisko front, I think that is why the "Season 8" books were a decent seller for a while. Or on other characters as well Andrew Robinson feeling Garaks story needed a further ending writing "A Stitch In Time" while doing Q&As at conventions...

I find the relationship of Ross, Sisko and Martok fascinating. The scene with the bloodwine demonstrates such differences between them when you've had the similarities shown throughout the war.

DS9 is actually is the only Trek finale to really evoke a variety of emotions for me. I found the Kassidy/Sisko moment to be touching. To this day my wife or I will look at the other and say "Minsk!" and get a good belly laugh in. I think the fact that many characters had their own path in different directions made it unique. (In a sense if you think the TNG Finale is Nemesis it shares that quality with Riker and Troi leaving the nest for the Titan). And it feels like there were echoes of the Visitor with Jake.

Looking at the other series, many times the finale was a weak spot. In TNG and Voy characters take odd directions (like Worf/Troi, Seven/Chakotay) that make no sense based on the rest of the series. Ent -- well the finale's been beaten to death. DS9 suffers a bit from the anti-climax of wrapping things up, especially with Dogs of War giving a Combs buffet and Ferengi finale.

But like every year, I'll watch it all again from front to back... just takes a little more time with a small child around who is now just old enough to have discovered Sesame Street and reruns of Mister Rogers :)

There has never been nor will there ever be anyone like Mr. Rogers. He cared about children and taught them things at an age where no one else did. Showed them how a haircut is not scary, taught them to not blame themselves if things happened in their life they didn’t like. This was a great man who has no equal for what he did.

• Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Yes he was, unfortunately even though I am in the city where it was filmed, I'm only sporadically getting episodes. Been writing and calling the local PBS station to try to get some more reruns but we shall see. Thank god for DVRs and export capabilities as I've gotten a decent library for now. (Til my daughter notices that we're watching the same eps repeatedly, lol.)

We went to get shoes from the place he went to in 'talks about friends' and a few other locations that I think my lil one will appreciate later.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes he was, unfortunately even though I am in the city where it was filmed, I'm only sporadically getting episodes. Been writing and calling the local PBS station to try to get some more reruns but we shall see. Thank god for DVRs and export capabilities as I've gotten a decent library for now. (Til my daughter notices that we're watching the same eps repeatedly, lol.)

We went to get shoes from the place he went to in 'talks about friends' and a few other locations that I think my lil one will appreciate later.

That’s awesome! He was on the air for 34 years so there should be plenty of new material out there. I particularly love the fact that his sweater, that his grandmother made for him, hangs in the Smithsonian.
  • Options
    . ... Thank god for DVRs ...
    Thank Fred Rogers for your DVR: when the Supreme Court ruled that recording tv shows to watch them later was fair use (Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984), also known as the “Betamax case”), they cited the testimony of Fred Rogers in their decision.
    Fred felt it was important for parents to be able to record his show so they could watch with their children, or that children who couldn't be home when his show aired could record it and watch it at their convenience.

If the court had ruled that recording tv shows was copyright infringement, there probably would not be a dvr. While someone would certainly have figured out a way to use a computer to record tv, doing so would be illegal.

So the reason you can dvr Mister Rogers Neighborhood is that Fred Rogers said he wanted you to be able to. 😉
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpyOne wrote: »
    . ... Thank god for DVRs ...
    Thank Fred Rogers for your DVR: when the Supreme Court ruled that recording tv shows to watch them later was fair use (Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., 464 U.S. 417 (1984), also known as the “Betamax case”), they cited the testimony of Fred Rogers in their decision.
    Fred felt it was important for parents to be able to record his show so they could watch with their children, or that children who couldn't be home when his show aired could record it and watch it at their convenience.

If the court had ruled that recording tv shows was copyright infringement, there probably would not be a dvr. While someone would certainly have figured out a way to use a computer to record tv, doing so would be illegal.

So the reason you can dvr Mister Rogers Neighborhood is that Fred Rogers said he wanted you to be able to. 😉

That’s awesome! I did not know that. He was championing causes his whole life. His speech to Congress when he first started out is tear jerking. He single handedly prevented the government from pulling millions of dollars in funding to children’s television.
  • Options
    JhamelJhamel ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you should talk to Worf again! :)
    "Everything about the Jem'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris (ST-DS9 Episode 2x26 "The Jem'Hadar")