Home The Bridge

Accurate compensation for captains crashed from rank & Mirror Troi

2»

Comments

• I agree - pausing the event is what makes the most sense in how to handle these server errors / outages. However, at this point, I'm not sure I trust DB to be able to pause the event and accurately communicate when it will be resuming.

It would need to be well advertised (including in-game) at least a week in advance and at an easy time for as many players possible.
  • Ah yes... Prime Directive....

The difference there was twofold, I think:

1) the recipes were even more atrocious than usual, and they used to be pretty atrocious (normal galaxy recipes required such hard to get items as 0* sci experiments, but in PD, one actually wanted 0* gravitic calipers in addition to the other nonsense). The players went to the forums and immediately said that was not okay.

2) the event was rendered unplayable due to severe lag, which prevented most people from being able to complete recipes. Instead of happening at the end or middle or the event, this was occurring from the get-go.

The net result of those two items led to DB saying that the event would be paused. I believe it happened around 1 or 2 hours after start, so not long at all. When the event was unpaused, most people had a minimal amount of VP. The recipes were also updated to be not-heinous.
    Proud Former Admiral of eXodus
    Proud Former Officer of The Gluten Empire

Retired 12-14-20. So long, and thanks for all the cat pics!
  • Pallidyne wrote: »
    I agree - pausing the event is what makes the most sense in how to handle these server errors / outages. However, at this point, I'm not sure I trust DB to be able to pause the event and accurately communicate when it will be resuming.

How was the big pause handled in the infamous first galaxy?
    I was only there for the resume and I was a new player not sure wth was going on....

All VP earnings were frozen, and we started with the same VP amounts about 2 months later. This happened only a few hours into the event though.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ah yes... Prime Directive....

The difference there was twofold, I think:

1) the recipes were even more atrocious than usual, and they used to be pretty atrocious (normal galaxy recipes required such hard to get items as 0* sci experiments, but in PD, one actually wanted 0* gravitic calipers in addition to the other nonsense). The players went to the forums and immediately said that was not okay.

2) the event was rendered unplayable due to severe lag, which prevented most people from being able to complete recipes. Instead of happening at the end or middle or the event, this was occurring from the get-go.

The net result of those two items led to DB saying that the event would be paused. I believe it happened around 1 or 2 hours after start, so not long at all. When the event was unpaused, most people had a minimal amount of VP. The recipes were also updated to be not-heinous.

What should be done differently and what should be done the same if pausing an event was a considered option for a crashed event?

It sounds like the biggest difference there was the unpause was the length of an entire event, and there was a long time between pause and resume, relatively speaking.
  • Actually each crafted recipe caused a crash on all platforms is why it was paused.
  • The larger issue in this is with people that want to wait until the last minute to try and jump rank. The easiest solution to this is having a delay in turning in Super Rares thus you can't easily jump 50k in the last minute.

Sniping is and always will be a strategy that has high risk. If you wish to participate in said strategy, don't complain when it doesn't work out for you.
  • Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, yeah, that's a valid risk of the strategy. But, it doesn't apply to someone like P377y who sat within spitting distance of 1k, and could have overtaken it and planned to overtake it using only 55 seconds of effort and new recipe crafting, not hoarding rares. Unfortunately the crash prevented him from doing so.
    The larger issue in this is with people that want to wait until the last minute to try and jump rank. The easiest solution to this is having a delay in turning in Super Rares thus you can't easily jump 50k in the last minute.

Sniping is and always will be a strategy that has high risk. If you wish to participate in said strategy, don't complain when it doesn't work out for you.

If it doesn't work because you're too slow or you slept past your alarm or your boss called an unexpected meeting, then yeah it's on you for the risk.
    If it's cause the servers can't be kept functional, then no, it's not on you.

The risk should be that you can't hit your goal in time, not that the game actively prevents you from trying. That's like saying you deserve to have your car explode if you're driving a Ford Pinto.

Do you mind if I use that one in risk analysis talks @ work?
  • p377y7h33fp377y7h33f ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    It is now allowed to relay CS responses here, right? It was pretty standard anyway, and not surprising, but I wanted to share my line of reasoning with all the victims of last year's outage...

~Snipped

Posting CS responses is against our TOS.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    p377y7h33f wrote: »
    It is now allowed to relay CS responses here, right?

No.
  • [10F] Belle'Anna [10F] Belle'Anna ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just replace the responses with

(POLITE RESPONSE BUT NO CIGAR)
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Dralix wrote: »
    It is now allowed to relay CS responses here, right?

No.

I've seen direct quotes on here and those people are still around. Well, if it's against the TOS, they still have the option of not enforcing it. I like rolling the dice.

• Just replace the responses with

(POLITE RESPONSE BUT NO CIGAR)

Is it really a serious risk of catching a ban for these quotes? I guess, I should play it safe, just so I could share what happens next. ok.
  • DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen direct quotes on here and those people are still around. Well, if it's against the TOS, they still have the option of not enforcing it. I like rolling the dice.

I've seen Shan recently edit posts and issue ... maybe not warnings but "don't do thats"
  • already got a PM from Black Pebble
  • What's he say? Or aren't you allowed to tell us? ;)
  • What's he say? Or aren't you allowed to tell us? ;)

basically what Dralix said
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are still here? It’s like a bad marriage. They just don’t talk to us anymore
  • Paund SkummPaund Skumm ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are still here? It’s like a bad marriage. They just don’t talk to us anymore

They’re too busy posting on the Facebook page...
  • Ah Facebook. Best avoided like the plague.
    Ah Facebook. Best avoided like the plague.

I never really go there but was curious why I got 1000 sorrytons... a lot of explanations on the Facebook page... apparently it impacted Android and Facebook players and since I play only on my iPhone I didn’t notice
    edited January 2018

I never really go there but was curious why I got 1000 sorrytons... a lot of explanations on the Facebook page... apparently it impacted Android and Facebook players and since I play only on my iPhone I didn’t notice

I play on iPhone and I did notice but it was so brief honestly 1000 chrons was very generous

I play on iPhone and I did notice but it was so brief honestly 1000 chrons was very generous

I think that’s the point... the unable to login thing was 4 1/2 hours for guys on Android and Facebook... some are saying they still couldn’t get on by the beginning of the event...

I think that’s the point... the unable to login thing was 4 1/2 hours for guys on Android and Facebook... some are saying they still couldn’t get on by the beginning of the event...

Oh. Well yes that certainly would frustrate me
  • Besides, of all the accounts that were affected were only actual players, cause the bots get their points automatically.
  • How did I miss this thread! Agreed!
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH