Home Fleet Central
Options

People leaving due to cost of playing

Have any fleets experienced people leaving due to the cost of playing ?

Best Answers

• Options
    Gib - Admiral MarinersGib - Admiral Mariners ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    No. I dont think anyone has left for that reason. Most were removed for being inactive.
  • Options
    BritewoodBritewood ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I have had only a couple captains leave our fleet because of the cost to them to play. I have several captains that just went inactive with no explanation so I cannot account for why they have quit playing. Most of the captains I can account for left due to game issues coupled with Delayed response from CS and poor compensation for the issue.
    Admiral Christopher Pike
    Joint Fleets
    Temporal Defense Initiative (TDI)
    Deep Space Armada (DSA)
    Temporal Defense Initiative 2 (TDI2)

Discord Server
  • Options
    MbannarMbannar ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Britewood wrote: »
    I have had only a couple captains leave our fleet because of the cost to them to play. I have several captains that just went inactive with no explanation so I cannot account for why they have quit playing. Most of the captains I can account for left due to game issues coupled with Delayed response from CS and poor compensation for the issue.

Same
    Nerfball6 wrote: »
    Absolutely. A lot of new players leave before hitting level 10. Many have left saying it costs too much. Lack of Chronitons and poor rewards is probably the biggest reason I hear. I've had to change the entry requirements to level 20 on my fleet because of all the people who start and quit right away.

Tried to get several of my friends to play when i started

They were about the same about lvl 10 got bored and stuff cost to much money for to little back, so they quit
  • Options
    ·§ë· For the Many·§ë· For the Many ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Had one of our most active, friendly, and mindful captains, level 69, who had been with us since the fleet formed, leave us after Picardgate when CS wouldn't refund her DYC. They tried to get her to jump through hoops including un-equipping Picard by 50 levels, even though as anyone who's played the game for more than two days knows the final 50 levels require far more resources than the first 50.

She tried to reason with them fairly, back and forth for several emails, including a suggestion for them to take back the stuff only from the first 50 (which the DYC offer provides). For her troubles I think they should have just given her the refund without the fuss.

It might have just been the final straw. She didn't clarify exactly, but it seems it wasn't just the cost, but also the lack of appreciation as a customer. DB's loss (and especially ours).

This and other things - particularly decline in artistic "style" - encouraged me to reduce spending back to solely monthly card, when I'd just begun to spend more regularly on special offers like the 10x10. I don't know that I would have started playing at all if the art had been in this state at the time. But here we are, and I've built up my crews full of characters (some of whom) I like, and we have a fleet full of awesome friendly folks, who benefit from collaboration and the fleet's stability.

For me, I perceive low value vs cost issue in the game, which prevents myself and others who are close to me from spending much or in some cases anything.

Not sure how well DB's stinginess works out for them, or if this is another case of a company's miscalculation of its base and potential longterm profits. At least there seems to be a disconnect with the reality of this specific audience. Star Trek fans are fanatically devoted to the franchise, different from the typically fleeting, temporary mobile game player base. I don't think DB expected us to actually want to stick around and play it long term, so they didn't set up the game to accommodate the demand.
  • Options
    Answer ✓

Yes, and not only leaving their fleets, but the game. It's because it used to be fun to compete in events, gauntlets, the arena, etc, but now people with disposable funds come out on top. I know a lot of fleets that aren't F2P-friendly, which is pretty crappy of them. Some people can drop $500-1,000 / month on the game to achieve top-level results, but not many. Just look at the leaderboards during an event, and calculate how much it would take to hit victory points that high. Ironically, I think Expedition events have sort of become the most fair these days.

I hit VIP 14 in fall of 2016, and the game was far cheaper back then. There were fewer characters, better pulls, and people weren't dropping the amount of money that they are now. Needless to say, DB doesn't get much from me these days--maybe $20 a month, but usually $4 (for the monthly pack). All of the new 4 & 5 star characters have diluted the heck out of the character pool, and it just becomes easier to pay $25 to get an extra star. I've been buying promotions with honor for my Kurzon Odo, and it's going to end up taking about 5-6 months to go from 1/5 to 5/5.

I don't know a lot of people that buy pulls as regularly anymore, because they don't even get a "Behold" for Super Rare characters a lot of the time. The ten x 10x pack specials that have come out recently will usually get somebody one, maybe two Legendaries, but beyond that is definitely not the norm.

When it comes to Galaxy events, it's virtually impossible to place well unless you go into the event with less than 5,000-10,000 chronitons (depending on how many critical successes you can get). It doesn't balance out evenly when you can buy packs of 1,000 chrons (up to five times) in the TP. I have advised people to get the monthly pack, and spend 150 dilithium (or 300 if they have it) on buying extra tickets during cadet missions, running as many voyages as they can, and trying their luck in the gauntlet.

Faction events have become more and more difficult, since as I mentioned above, so many new characters have come out. People really got hit hard when the DSC characters came out, because nobody had any yet, and if you're F2P, then all you're going to get is Super Rares.

It's sad to see STT transforming into a game for people with disposable income, rather than a game for fans of Star Trek. It's one thing to spend $50 a month on a game that you love, but when it gets into the $100s to compete at the highest level, then it's clear which demographic DB has chosen to favor. I get the idea that businesses are supposed to make money, but when that idea transforms into blatant greed, then people will simply walk away, and I personally feel that it's a petty business decision. The game wouldn't be what it is now without humble beginnings, and now, just like every other company out there, the bottom line is making as much as possible, and driving people away that won't pay to play.

Answers

• Options

Nope, I don't stick money into the game because its more of a challenge when you don't stick money in than when you do. Besides I don't have the funds to just throw it away.
  • Options
    Absolutely. A lot of new players leave before hitting level 10. Many have left saying it costs too much. Lack of Chronitons and poor rewards is probably the biggest reason I hear. I've had to change the entry requirements to level 20 on my fleet because of all the people who start and quit right away.
  • Options
    We've had people leave because of the reduced rewards from (long) voyages and a few that just stopped playing. I can see where the cost especially with mega events comes into play. I have reduced the amount I spend on the game. The way I see it is I'd rather buy a new car than a few crew every month,but that's just me.
  • Options
    Capt OZZYCapt OZZY ✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Just like any sport or activity sometimes the first six months or longer depending on your schedule can be the most difficult. We have one of the most competitive fleets that doesn't have any spending or VIP requirements.with that said I'm content with never being A top 10 fleet. Some of our members spend liberally some don't spend at all. I feel lucky to have some really interesting people in my fleet and wouldn't want to lose them over monetary issues. Once you're Established I find the game very entertaining. I do have a turnover problem with about half a dozen people that's just enough to hamper our progress. In conclusion flakiness is a bigger problem than money most of the time. It's amazing how hard it is to get newer captains just to donate Starbase components.also just to vent everyone's level is over 40. Most of the fleet however is amazing.
  • Options
    Had one of our most active, friendly, and mindful captains, level 69, who had been with us since the fleet formed, leave us after Picardgate when CS wouldn't refund her DYC. They tried to get her to jump through hoops including un-equipping Picard by 50 levels, even though as anyone who's played the game for more than two days knows the final 50 levels require far more resources than the first 50.

She tried to reason with them fairly, back and forth for several emails, including a suggestion for them to take back the stuff only from the first 50 (which the DYC offer provides). For her troubles I think they should have just given her the refund without the fuss.

It might have just been the final straw. She didn't clarify exactly, but it seems it wasn't just the cost, but also the lack of appreciation as a customer. DB's loss (and especially ours).

This and other things - particularly decline in artistic "style" - encouraged me to reduce spending back to solely monthly card, when I'd just begun to spend more regularly on special offers like the 10x10. I don't know that I would have started playing at all if the art had been in this state at the time. But here we are, and I've built up my crews full of characters (some of whom) I like, and we have a fleet full of awesome friendly folks, who benefit from collaboration and the fleet's stability.

For me, I perceive low value vs cost issue in the game, which prevents myself and others who are close to me from spending much or in some cases anything.

Not sure how well DB's stinginess works out for them, or if this is another case of a company's miscalculation of its base and potential longterm profits. At least there seems to be a disconnect with the reality of this specific audience. Star Trek fans are fanatically devoted to the franchise, different from the typically fleeting, temporary mobile game player base. I don't think DB expected us to actually want to stick around and play it long term, so they didn't set up the game to accommodate the demand.

I agree with alot of what you said, especially the issues when dealing with support turn around replys and getting issues resloved (still figthing with c.s for last 3weeks on one)

I do get the feel somtimes that like most companys now days its not a matter of how many existing customers you have ,but how many new customers you can show to investers/board

Saw this same mentally working for charter comm.
    Not doing anything for existing customers to keep them, but throwing everthing but the kitchen sink at newer customers,

Would lose 500k in existing but only gain 550k in new
    But showing a increase of 550k in new looks really good to fly by the night investors, or boards that dont deep dive the numbers, part of why so many companys have issues nowdays

But figure that DB are trying milk newcomers hard before they lose interest with the amount of mobiles games nowdays, but ignoring or aliening existing player base is a great short term money maker but retarted for longterm investment

But they probly figure hey its a mobile game it won't have the longevity of say clash clans,fallout or other games, which really stinks for there hard core player base,

• Options
    I think it depends on their level. Until level 30 they are still new and just trying the game. After that it is anyones guess.
  • Options
    [BL] Q [BL] Q ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Android there's over 1m downloads of Timelines factoring in steam and gamesroom and iOS where did everyone go?
  • Options
    I have downloaded games, tried them and deleted them. It still counts as a download. So lots of people have tried it. How many have stayed?
  • Options
    There is no cost of playing, except time. You can play this game free pretty decent, IF you want. ;)
    •SSR Delta Flyers•
  • Options
    In our case, fleetmates have quitted the game because they started feeling bored of the game.
  • Options
    it costs nothing to play. and if you are a Pay to win person then you aren't getting anything except a picture with stats next to it. and even then it only works in game. After a while you have to feel duped if instead of enjoying the challenge of the game you are shelling out money for and easier jumpstart. The most exciting thing about this game is who shows up next, and that excitement is taken away with every announcement of who IS showing up and every over analysis and listing of the characters and their attributes... Now there is little to look forward to. Think about it- the game is just pictures text and stats.
    I reached my limit when Mother Horta showed up as a character with diplomacy and security stats. So I'm supposed to assign this rock creature away mission duties? Help me to continue enjoying this game by not doing silly stuff like this. Imagine if I was so addicted that I payed a lot of money for the pleasure?
  • Options
    Weyoun6 wrote: »
    But it's not me who fire them ;) I'm trying to understand and find out why they're not playing anymore

1. Money
    2. The amount of time that people have to invest in being competitive

I have been in fleets that people have left because they couldn't stand the game anymore, and because they wanted to have more time and money in their lives. There are fleets out there that take this to an extreme, and if you don't perform to a certain standard, then you're kicked. I am fortunate to have joined a fleet that takes life into consideration, and that operates a squad for people that are F2P or just don't have the time to spend week in and week out. Despite that, we still manage to drop into top 20 frequently (as a fleet), have an amazing starbase, and still actually have fun playing. lol.
  • Options
    Gib wrote: »
    No. I dont think anyone has left for that reason. Most were removed for being inactive.
    It's for the same reason in my fleet.

What do you consider to be "inactive"?
  • Options
    For my fleet it depends on level, under 30 1 week, over 30 2 weeks.
  • Options
    Quite a few people in my fleet play for a month or so then stop. I came here to try to find new fleet mates. But I don't think I can start threads yet...
  • Options

Yes, and not only leaving their fleets, but the game. It's because it used to be fun to compete in events, gauntlets, the arena, etc, but now people with disposable funds come out on top. I know a lot of fleets that aren't F2P-friendly, which is pretty crappy of them. Some people can drop $500-1,000 / month on the game to achieve top-level results, but not many. Just look at the leaderboards during an event, and calculate how much it would take to hit victory points that high. Ironically, I think Expedition events have sort of become the most fair these days.

I hit VIP 14 in fall of 2016, and the game was far cheaper back then. There were fewer characters, better pulls, and people weren't dropping the amount of money that they are now. Needless to say, DB doesn't get much from me these days--maybe $20 a month, but usually $4 (for the monthly pack). All of the new 4 & 5 star characters have diluted the heck out of the character pool, and it just becomes easier to pay $25 to get an extra star. I've been buying promotions with honor for my Kurzon Odo, and it's going to end up taking about 5-6 months to go from 1/5 to 5/5.

I don't know a lot of people that buy pulls as regularly anymore, because they don't even get a "Behold" for Super Rare characters a lot of the time. The ten x 10x pack specials that have come out recently will usually get somebody one, maybe two Legendaries, but beyond that is definitely not the norm.

When it comes to Galaxy events, it's virtually impossible to place well unless you go into the event with less than 5,000-10,000 chronitons (depending on how many critical successes you can get). It doesn't balance out evenly when you can buy packs of 1,000 chrons (up to five times) in the TP. I have advised people to get the monthly pack, and spend 150 dilithium (or 300 if they have it) on buying extra tickets during cadet missions, running as many voyages as they can, and trying their luck in the gauntlet.

Faction events have become more and more difficult, since as I mentioned above, so many new characters have come out. People really got hit hard when the DSC characters came out, because nobody had any yet, and if you're F2P, then all you're going to get is Super Rares.

It's sad to see STT transforming into a game for people with disposable income, rather than a game for fans of Star Trek. It's one thing to spend $50 a month on a game that you love, but when it gets into the $100s to compete at the highest level, then it's clear which demographic DB has chosen to favor. I get the idea that businesses are supposed to make money, but when that idea transforms into blatant greed, then people will simply walk away, and I personally feel that it's a petty business decision. The game wouldn't be what it is now without humble beginnings, and now, just like every other company out there, the bottom line is making as much as possible, and driving people away that won't pay to play.

Here Here, well said. You know I was on my way out. Ironically just before I hit the uninstall app along came a Knight in shining Armor. Now I sit at the "Knights of the Saucer section" round table jibber jabbering having a good ole time. Starting all over again, but don't care cause once again having a load of FUN. 😊😊😊
  • Options

I've had much the same thoughts.

~ seeking out new life
  • Options
    For some reason, there have been a larger number of people going inactive than usual. Normally replacements were quick to join. But that's stopped too. It's definately making me wonder what's going on. Still hear a lot of complaints about events and overall costs. I'm guessing that is why. I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Gib wrote: »
    It's for the same reason in my fleet.

What do you consider to be "inactive"?

We dismiss anyone who has been inactive for 14 days. We used to go 30 days but too many people were filling up the inactive ranks.

• Options
    I use 7 days for most players. let me know ahead of time and you get until you said you would be back plus a week
  • Options

The question is why did they go inactive?

• Options
    I use 7 days for most players. let me know ahead of time and you get until you said you would be back plus a week

I go by that same rule. If anyone notifies me or another officer that they will be gone for a while, I won't dismiss them for a week after the date they said they would be back.