Home The Bridge
Options

Is this what happens in a DB Event Planning Meeting? Inquiring minds want to know!

[7TW] Manawar[7TW] Manawar ✭✭
edited January 2018 in The Bridge
***Disclaimer: These are not actual events of a DB Planning Meeting, but just a recreation in my mind of what I think it must be like!

DB Planner 1: Hey, I have this great idea, lets have 3 new crew for this Event!!!

DB Planner 2: Yes, that's cool, lets do it!

DB Dev 1: OK, we have the 3 new crew for the Event, let’s take a look at them!

DB Planner 1: OK, I see 2 out of 3 of these new crew need ★ Security Codes, you can only get those from the faction store or by running Section 31 Faction Shuttle Missions.

DB Dev 2: Ummm… I thought we were going to have Klingon, Maquis, and Hirogen in this event?

DB Planner 1: Can’t we get Section 31 added?

DB Dev 2: No, we’ve been working on coding this event for a week so we can’t change now!

DB Planner 2: Can we change the ★ Security Codes to something else then?

DB Dev 1: No, I’ve been working on balancing this new crew just right for the last week so we can’t change now!

DB Planner 1: So can we make sure that ★ Security Codes is in the Faction store each day to help minimize the pain felt by the player community?

DB Dev 2: We would have to recode the Faction Store for that, it’s meant to be a rare item so it’s not normally in the faction store.

DB Planner 2: So what you’re saying here is that 2 of 3 of our new crew are going to require a combined 29 ★ Security Codes, that we won’t have the faction required to get that item in the event, and it won’t be available in the faction store? This is not good.

DB Planner 1: Maybe people won’t notice? I mean what can we do at this point but move forward?

DB Dev 1: Wait, one of the ★ Security Codes is in Yar’s Phaser which is a threshold reward so technically we are giving them a freebie for doing the event!!!

DB Planner 1: Oh, Cool, so it’s not so bad eh? Let’s do this event!

So while I doubt it happens exactly this way it’s where my mind goes to. If I’m close to the mark then DB really does not have a clue how to properly run an event. But I’m thinking I’m giving them too much credit. Is there decent coordination between their Dev’s and Event Planners? Do they review new crew? Do they put the required thought into how that crew and the items needed to level them fit into the current event? Part of me thinks that DB doesn’t do these things or ask these questions when planning an event. This is surely not the first time this has happened right? I’m thinking back to the Klingon Mega Event where all the new crew required KCA faction items and none of the events over the entire month had the KCA faction in them. DB, if you want to know what frustrates the player base please read through this a few times and remember, “There are no hoops!”

Comments

• Options
    Lol this post made me smile a bit :) Seriously though, they did deplete the small pile of Security Codes I managed to save up...
  • Options
    Or at a mim did someone think "wait maybe we should give a heads up suggest they run section 31 faction missions prior to this coming event"....oh wait..DB cant have any department communicate and plan to actual get info out in a timely fashion. This is just like the KCA faction only items in the Klingon Mega event. Once more DB you have failed to learn from past mistakes.
    Sincerely,

Lilac Erosion

7TH Tactical Wing

Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license
    -Lord Wizzlestix IT
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    It's not a mistake. They want you to replicate items, buy credits for Dil, and buy extra cadet tickets for Dil.
  • Options
    I get that they want us to replicate, and I use my 5 every day actually, but they are a bit spread out.

★ Security Code - Section 31 Shuttle Mission

Duelist Yar
    Level 46 ★★★ Yar's Phaser 1
    Level 66 ★★★★ Yar's Phaser 1
    Level 90 ★★★★★ Yar's Uniform 1
    Level 99 ★★★★★ Yar's Phaser 1 (threshold reward)
    Total 4

Gladiator McCoy
    Level 16 ★ Security Codes 1
    Level 40 ★★★ McCoy's Gladiator Uniform 4
    Level 50 ★★★ McCoy's Gladiator Uniform 4
    Level 60 ★★★ McCoy's Gladiator Uniform 4
    Level 63 ★★★★ Security Codes 4
    Level 70 ★★★★ McCoy's Gladiator Uniform 4
    Level 80 ★★★★★ McCoy's Gladiator Uniform 4
    Total 25

• Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a drop in the ocean compared to the Klingon mega event.

Part of being successful in an event is having large inventory stocks. Another is anticipation. I mean, who could have guessed that crew featured in a gladiator event would need security codes?
  • Options
    [7TW] Manawar[7TW] Manawar ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Dralix wrote: »
    This is a drop in the ocean compared to the Klingon mega event.

Part of being successful in an event is having large inventory stocks. Another is anticipation. I mean, who could have guessed that crew featured in a gladiator event would need security codes?

Yes, I agree that the Klingon Mega Event was much worse... I would also agree that part of being successful in an event is having large inventory stocks, but that is not always possible for various reasons. I personally had 6-7 before the event started, I ran several shuttles the day before when I started leveling Duelist Yar as it hit me that the other two crew may need them also. But I've also spoke to some players that have been around since Day 1, and have 2 years of inventory and while some had quite a few, 75, some did not have that many, 24.

It sounds like your position here is that DB does this on purpose as a measure to separate players and to reward those who strategize to the level that you indicate?
  • Options
    DralixDralix ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like your position here is that DB does this on purpose as a measure to separate players and to reward those who strategize to the level that you indicate?

That's not my position. My position is that things like this will happen, whether intentional or not. As players, we can anticipate and try to be prepared.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    But I've also spoke to some players that have been around since Day 1, and have 2 years of inventory and while some had quite a few, 75, some did not have that many, 24.

McCoy's Uniform isn't that big a deal. The 3* version is the one that consumes the most 1* Security Codes (4 each). Thing is this comes in an easy to replicate package for people who don't have large stocks of it. You replicate the 3* Uniform 6 times and you're done. That's 24 Codes you don't need to farm.

The 1* Security Code isn't a widely used item. I have 146 of them for that reason. By way of comparison 2* Security Codes you'll need much, much more of them. I ran EASm1*** every time it was up this week. I now have 4x 2* Security Codes. Its a difficult item to keep in stock and very often it doesn't come in easy to replicate packages.
    VIP 13 - 310 Crew Slots - 1055 Immortals
  • Options
    Jim SteeleJim Steele ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got mine from the Cadet Missions
    DB: Do Better
  • Options
    NoneNone ✭✭✭
    I got none from running the cadet missions today. 6 attempts, all failures.
  • Options
    Ivanstone wrote: »
    But I've also spoke to some players that have been around since Day 1, and have 2 years of inventory and while some had quite a few, 75, some did not have that many, 24.

McCoy's Uniform isn't that big a deal. The 3* version is the one that consumes the most 1* Security Codes (4 each). Thing is this comes in an easy to replicate package for people who don't have large stocks of it. You replicate the 3* Uniform 6 times and you're done. That's 24 Codes you don't need to farm.

The 1* Security Code isn't a widely used item. I have 146 of them for that reason. By way of comparison 2* Security Codes you'll need much, much more of them. I ran EASm1*** every time it was up this week. I now have 4x 2* Security Codes. Its a difficult item to keep in stock and very often it doesn't come in easy to replicate packages.

Yah and if you use 6 replications that is a days worth for one item if you are vip 14. And yes 1* isn't widely used I have been playing daily for 2 years and I had 4 going into this event.

And yah the 2* is not much better as EAS with 3 refreshs has given me about 5 of them. DB may not be Bing intentional about it but the also don't plan well.
    Sincerely,

Lilac Erosion

7TH Tactical Wing

Maybe the irony is that we play because we’re Star Trek fans, those hopeful idealists that like to think things will get better when we raise valid concerns about fairness and balance, etc and we forget that DB’s greed openly mocks the values espoused by the franchise they have a license
    -Lord Wizzlestix IT
  • Options
    Because giving us multiple ways to acquire an item every day of the week and at any time would be too difficult. I really wish we had missions that we could access on a daily basis that can drop these items. I wonder if that is possible. Call them episodes or something and have a dozen missions in there that drop these commonly needed items.
    239 Immortalized
    Gametag: ECH
  • Options
    ***Disclaimer: These are not actual events of a DB Planning Meeting, but just a recreation in my mind of what I think it must be like!

There's your first mistake right there. Assuming that there are event planning meetings!

I've been running section 31 shuttles for the past few days and ran the cadet that gives these out so i barely made it out. Had to replicate the last 2 blue ones for Yar yesterday but this happens way too many times.
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Section 31 is basically the default faction I run when not farming a specific item and I still had only 30 or so one star codes saved up.

I leveled all three crew yesterday but did replicate four of McCoy’s uniforms and one other item he had that I think needed 8 medical lessons/experiments.
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    None wrote: »
    I got none from running the cadet missions today. 6 attempts, all failures.

The cadet mission drops the 2* version. It **tsk tsk** getting none and its one you'll need more of but sometimes life **tsk tsk**.

Yah and if you use 6 replications that is a days worth for one item if you are vip 14. And yes 1* isn't widely used I have been playing daily for 2 years and I had 4 going into this event.

And yah the 2* is not much better as EAS with 3 refreshs has given me about 5 of them. DB may not be Bing intentional about it but the also don't plan well.

Its not 1 item, its 6 items. 3x 3* Uniforms, 2x 4* Uniforms and 1x 5* Uniforms. The 4/5* versions each require 1x 3* Uniform as a sub-requirement. The 3* Uniform also requires 16K credits to just build, so replicating it won't put a dent in your credits. Using 6 replications on 6 items that use multiple faction items is a good use of in game resources.

After leveling 325 L100's, I can safely say 1* Security Codes aren't widely used unless I somehow magically skipped all of the 1* Code sinks. Have you been steadfastly avoiding S31 shuttles?
  • Options
    Paladin 27Paladin 27 ✭✭✭✭✭

After leveling 325 L100's, I can safely say 1* Security Codes aren't widely used unless I somehow magically skipped all of the 1* Code sinks. Have you been steadfastly avoiding S31 shuttles?

The main crew I can think of that used them a lot were detective data, Doctor laforge and morn. They used the same three star security outfit that McCoy also uses.

I tend to cadet ticket a lot of basic holos and 2* sec codes and even some basic case files, so I wind up needing to watch my 1* Holos and 1* code counts. If you don’t get extra cadet tickets for those other three items it’s unlikely the 1 Star sec 31 items will be a bottleneck.

After running into some bottlenecks with the 1* items a few months ago I try to keep the stock of those 1* items over 25

• Options
    Probably not.
    Proud member of eXodus
    Join the eXo|plosion today!
  • Options
    IvanstoneIvanstone ✭✭✭✭✭
    Paladin 27 wrote: »

I tend to cadet ticket a lot of basic holos and 2* sec codes and even some basic case files, so I wind up needing to watch my 1* Holos and 1* code counts. If you don’t get extra cadet tickets for those other three items it’s unlikely the 1 Star sec 31 items will be a bottleneck.

I do EAS for Holo's and 2* Codes as well. On top of that S31 was my default shuttle choice until the Mirror Mega. Still can't get enough Holo's and 2* Codes.
  • Options
    I appreciate all the feedback, perspectives, and opinions that everyone has shared. I work for a large company and I deal with projects and customers that are in an unhappy state often having to come in and talk a customer off a ledge before they jump or get a project back on track. Rather then keep triaging wounds week after week I've forced my team to do better planning on the front side. I surely hope that there are event planning meetings that occur for each event, and perhaps someone from the DB team will pass this post along or even read it in a planning meeting so they can get in into the minds of their customers (us) and perhaps plan things out a little better if this was not their intent. If this was their intent then I would say my hats off to you, and the h3ck with you at the same time.

• Options
    Althea BiermontAlthea Biermont ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing about this scenario that truly surprises me is that they haven’t monetized the replicator yet. I thought by now they would have treated it like they treat cadet challenge tickets, arena tickets, etc. Charge 150 dilithium to reset your number of used replications back to zero for the day. The next refresh is 200 and then 400 etc. They would make a ton off of that. Then at least the player would have the ability, though expensive, to replicate 29 of those security codes in a single day by purchasing enough refreshes
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing about this scenario that truly surprises me is that they haven’t monetized the replicator yet. I thought by now they would have treated it like they treat cadet challenge tickets, arena tickets, etc. Charge 150 dilithium to reset your number of used replications back to zero for the day. The next refresh is 200 and then 400 etc. They would make a ton off of that. Then at least the player would have the ability, though expensive, to replicate 29 of those security codes in a single day by purchasing enough refreshes

Having spent Dilithium to refresh the Section 31 faction center on more than one occasion, I would totally spend dil to get more replicator uses in a day.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭

They already have in a sense by basing the number of replicator uses on money spent. I can only use it once per day.
  • Options
    Yeah, huge drain on those security codes, especially since I thought I'd work on Falcon O'Brien as well (since he's got 900+ SEC even at 1/5) for the next event. Bad life choice...