Home Ready Room
Options

One-Star, Super-Rare Bottleneck Advice?

Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2018 in Ready Room
So, because of the insidious nature of game design, I have a bottleneck of Super-rare crew. Some I'm keeping for sentimental reasons, some for potential, but they're coming in faster than I can handle them. Would love some input on who you think I should keep for event/cryo potential and who I can afford to airlock to make room for leveling incoming FF crew, cadet challenges, legendaries, etc...?

As a F2P, I have a total of 80 crew slots. 19 are taken up by Legendaries (2 sitting in messages). I'd like to keep 7 of them for cadet crew. My 4 FF/FE Super-rares are reliable soldiers for me in Gauntlet/Voyages. So that leaves me with 50 slots for the remaining group of Super-rares to await a lucky pull or Voyage to fully fuse.

Some other information: I have about 140K in honor, have immortalized all common, uncommon and rare crew (except for Sad Trombone Riker and EMH Mk1), and have just enough dilithium to purchase another 5 crew slots for 700 dil, though would obviously prefer to wait until the next 50% off sale. I have no gotten either Kahless or Captain Beverly Picard from the Honor Hall, yet.

These are my active (or on deck) Super-rare crew, by fusions (name/level):

1*
Anbo-jyutsu Riker 28
Duchamps (Worf) 1
Jannar 20
Katra McCoy 80
Liaison Torres 1
Lieutenant Tarah 70
Lucien 30
Mirror Archer 48
Mirror Jadzia Dax 70
Robin Hood (Picard) 1
Subcommander T'Rul 13
Thot Gor 1
Tommy Gun Dixon 2
Tourist Quark 80
Wayoun Clone 4 1

2*
Admiral Picard 12
Blood Oath Jadzia Dax 1
Captain Janeway 50
Captain John Harriman 1 *on deck*
Commander Chapel 3
Commander Uhura 30
Gorn Captain 20
Duelist Yar 1
Fencing Sulu 100
Kal-if-fee Spock 100
Mirror Tucker 80
Platonian Kirk 70
Prospect Burnham 1
Prospero Data 70
Rianna Mayweather 80
Ruk 1
Sarek 90
Stranded Odo 99
T'Mir 99

3*
1701 Jadzia Dax 100
Advocate Kolos 51
Captain Q 90
Captain Sulu 100
Combat Medic Paris 90
Commando Shran 90
Dahar Master Kor 70
First Officer Saru 100
Formal Dress Wesley Crusher 70
Lieutenant Valeris 90
Luther Sloan 60
Maquis Ro Laren 90
Martia 60
Mirror Jennifer Sisko 90
Mother Horta 40
Warship Chakotay 100

4*
Ambassador Sarek FF/FE
Ambassador Spock FF/FE
Drone Seven of Nine FF/FE
Rakal Troi FF/FE
Nurse Faith Garland *on deck*
Niners Rom *on deck*

Here are my current available Legendaries, if that helps:
Admiral Riker
Bartender Guinan
Borg Queen
Commander Troi
Convergence Day Quark
Emotion Chip Data
Jazz Musician Odo
Kortar
Mariachi Q
Mirror Picard
Mobile Doctor
Niners Sisko
Prisoner Katrina Cornwell
Seven of Nine
Suus Mehna Sarek (still in message)
T'Kuvma
Tempted Data
Undercover Sulu
Will Scarlett (still in message)
Wrathful Khan
Yarnek

Airlocked (Cause of Death):
Claiborne Chekov (In Spaaaaaaace)
KDF Gowron (Fell down turbo-shaft)
Anastasia Komananov (Transporter accident)
Temporal Agent Seven (Body suit asphixiation)
Klingon Quark (Holosuite mishap)
Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!

Comments

• Options
    [SSR] The Iron Cow[SSR] The Iron Cow ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Do you play a lot of Gauntlet? If so, there are some 1/4s that are useful there...depending on the rest of your crew. For example, Rianna due to her medical/eng combo, and Rura Reed has a big security roll.

The stt.wiki page is a good resource to see those rolls at 1/4 and see if they are worth keeping

Beyond that, depending on how many packs you buy on the reg, if you're not going to get more stars any time soon, the first 1/4s I would dump are:

Anastasia Komananov 1/1 (on deck)
    Anbo-jyutsu Riker 1/28
    Claiborne Chekov 1/1
    Temporal Agent Seven 1/14
    Tommy Gun Dixon 1/2
    Mirror Archer 1/48
    Immortalized: 465
    Tour of duty: January 2016 to present.
    Shut up Wesley.
  • Options
    I would also think about "one offs vs mainline crew" for events..

Claiborne Chekov 1/1
    Commander Chapel 1/3
    KDF Gowron 1/1 (on deck)
    Martia 1/51
    Rianna Mayweather 1/41
    Ruk 1/1
    Tourist Quark 1/1

The above haven't been featured much, Ruk/chappel/tourist Quark just had an event.. so it MAY be repeated in 6months or more?
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can say definitely keep Sarek, Mirror Archer, and Mirror Dax. If you don’t have many legendaries those three will serve you well
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, didn’t read correctly at first. Also of course keep your FF/FE. I will add Kolos to your keeper list
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I can say definitely keep Sarek, Mirror Archer, and Mirror Dax. If you don’t have many legendaries those three will serve you well
    Ah, good point - I just added my list of Legendaries if that helps with analysis!
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    Temporal Agent Seven is terrible. So is KDF Gowron, Mirror Archer, Claiborne Chekov. Too bad you leveled fencing Sulu, I would've added him to the space list. And beware of Luther Sloan. He's horrible to level.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Temporal Agent Seven is terrible. So is KDF Gowron, Mirror Archer, Claiborne Chekov. Too bad you leveled fencing Sulu, I would've added him to the space list. And beware of Luther Sloan. He's horrible to level.
    Fencing Sulu definitely falls under my "sentimental value" list. :) That said, I've found him useful for Security related stuffs from time to time.

But you're right about Sloan. He's been stuck at 60 for some time.
  • Options
    Sulu went straight into cryo when I finished him. Felt a little sorry for him, no shirt and all, but...
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would dump the following:

Admiral Picard 1/1 — yes, he's Picard, but his stats are pretty bad... I have mine in the freezer
    Anastasia Komananov 1/1 (on deck) — I love the artwork & character, but she is a PITA to level
    Claiborne Chekov 1/1
    Commander Chapel 1/3
    KDF Gowron 1/1 (on deck)
    Martia 1/51
    Temporal Agent Seven 1/14 — pretty lame for a Seven, though I'm using her in this event
    Tourist Quark 1/1 — recently added, so he won't be in the loot pool for ages

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, Chekov seems to be the clear loser, with Gowron and Seven running close seconds, then Anastasia and Chapel. That at least gives me a few good candidates for space duty. Thanks! Additional thoughts still welcome!
  • Options
    RaraRacingRaraRacing ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    Well, Chekov seems to be the clear loser, with Gowron and Seven running close seconds, then Anastasia and Chapel. That at least gives me a few good candidates for space duty. Thanks! Additional thoughts still welcome!

Just so you know ... Claibourne Chekov is set to be one of the event crew in the near future should they ever get around to replaying past events ... in the list of Faction events, his is up next ... granted, we're about to have two Faction events in a row but who knows in two events?

This is actually the reason why he's in the top 3 on my list of crew to level (outside of current event crew) ... others include Valeris.

EDIT: oh, I always cryo immortalised crew first ... Sarek, Spock and Seven are prime candidates there ... Rakal Troi might be handy for certain voyages (MED) ... but also a clear candidate for cryo.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    RaraRacing wrote: »
    Just so you know ... Claibourne Chekov is set to be one of the event crew in the near future should they ever get around to replaying past events ... in the list of Faction events, his is up next ... granted, we're about to have two Faction events in a row but who knows in two events?
    Sigh... where was this comment two days ago?!?!? :wink: Where is this list of upcoming faction events? I thought they only posted notes on the very next one?
    EDIT: oh, I always cryo immortalised crew first ... Sarek, Spock and Seven are prime candidates there ... Rakal Troi might be handy for certain voyages (MED) ... but also a clear candidate for cryo.
    I only listed my FF/FE super rares for context. Rakal Troi, Drone Seven, Ambassadors Sarek and Spock are some of my best Gauntlet options.

• Options
    RaraRacing is referring to the Wiki list of past events.
    https://stt.wiki/wiki/Events
  • Options

Yes ... Chekov is part of Brutal Squad ... which has run twice already, but is kinda next in line for Faction events (thou as I mentioned we will have had 2 in a row now, so ...) ...
    Valeris is next (or soon) in line for Galaxy if I'm not mistaken.
    I don't take Expedition events into consideration, because, well, reruns of those have been few and far between.

By the way ... I've made it a rule not to airlock any Faction event 4*s anymore (I did ages ago when I was really tight for space, also the 1/4s from Galaxy events) ... why? ... well, by running the event you cannot get threshold crew FF, only 3/4, so any stars you already have will mean you are almost certain to FF that crew.

And ... I've said this many times before ... even if that immortal 4* is stellar on your crew, freeze him/her if you need space, you'll always find replacements ... if I look at your list I see FD Wesley, Captain Q, Lt Valeris (Rakal Troi is rough to replace with a 4*, but you've got Guinan) ... some might not be great, but they'll do and you'll make room for new crew.
    You can always bring back crew from cryostasis ... not from the airlock.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Capt. Chaos! At the risk of hijacking my own thread, is there an established pattern of repeated Events? I know they haven't run "Brute Squad" in over a year, is that basically the criteria - longest absent gets re-run?
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    And ... I've said this many times before ... even if that immortal 4* is stellar on your crew, freeze him/her if you need space, you'll always find replacements ... if I look at your list I see FD Wesley, Captain Q, Lt Valeris (Rakal Troi is rough to replace with a 4*, but you've got Guinan) ... some might not be great, but they'll do and you'll make room for new crew.
    You can always bring back crew from cryostasis ... not from the airlock.
    I have a handful of Rare and Uncommon crew immortalized that I can freeze in an absolute emergency. Especially now that the weekend cadet challenges don't really provide many stand-out rewards except for equipment acquisition. But, as the title of this post indicated, I find it's almost impossible to get to a point where I have room in crew quarters to unfreeze needed crew, so it's better for me to maintain discipline on the front side and prune the active crew as best I can.

• Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am of the belief that if you are short on available crew slots, it's foolish to keep a 1/4 because they might be used at some point down the line.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Data1001 wrote: »
    I am of the belief that if you are short on available crew slots, it's foolish to keep a 1/4 because they might be used at some point down the line.

Sure ... but the OP has options to delay air locking any crew ... namely freezing up 4 crew ... I mean keeping a couple of immortalised crew around just because they are Gauntlet crew is ... well ... if I look at the 5*s (or non-FF 4*s) then the OP has equal, if not better, crew available there.

Let me just give my crew as an example ... I only have 1 5* immortalised (Mirror Picard) and I wouldn't hesitate to freeze him if it means I can make one spot for a new 5* (comparing like for like) and I'd run out of all other options (i.e. frozen all other lower* immortalised crew) ... why? ... well my 4/5 Borg Queen covers his CMD base, the 4/5 Kortar covers SEC base, 4/5 T'Kuvma does okay there for specific Voyages/Gauntlets etc. etc. etc. ... sure, I might take a hit on specific Voyages or daily shuttles, but that'll be negligible in the long run.

I can always airlock that new 5* at a later date if I need the Picard for something, like a Picard event etc. but until that time I can see if other options develop (get honor to immortalise someone else and switch them out with Picard, get lucky with a portal pull etc. etc. etc.).

But hey, to each their own ... I hate waste so that's how I approach an issue.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to waste as well, but the reality is that new crew comes in at a faster rate than I can freeze, so some airlocking has to occur. Just this year I think people have said we've had 9 new crew offerings in events? That's already causing major overflow in my quarters.

I'm gambling on being able to FF/FE a group of 6 rare crew I've been leveling/equipping to freeze, but a lot of them have shuttle-only equipment requirements which makes it slow going (or in some cases, no-going). Ultimately, I'd rather dump seldom-used super-rare crew that I have no foreseeable chance of FF/FE-ing than a rare member that has a reasonable path to cryostasis.
  • Options
    If you play long enough, you'll get them again. I've ditched a pile of KDF Gowron's in my day, yet I now have one FF at level 5 that I'll level if I get desperate.
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    If you play long enough, you'll get them again. I've ditched a pile of KDF Gowron's in my day, yet I now have one FF at level 5 that I'll level if I get desperate.

Hopefully. For now, his mummified corpse is currently attached to my hull.
  • Options
    ~peregrine~~peregrine~ ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find this discussion very helpful, as you all succinctly explain your various reasons for making decisions. I will not hijack the OP’s thread with my own bottlenecks, though, and I wish @Shy Khan all the best in the future. 🖖🏻
    "In the short run, the game defines the players. But in the long run, it's us players who define the game." — Nicky Case, The Evolution of Trust
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find this discussion very helpful, as you all succinctly explain your various reasons for making decisions. I will not hijack the OP’s thread with my own bottlenecks, though, and I wish @Shy Khan all the best in the future. 🖖🏻

Glad you've found it useful! I definitely have. I've been updating the original post to give myself a sense of what I have, need, and in case anyone has new advice and input. You should certainly put together your own list and toss it up in a new thread for people's thoughts - it's been very helpful.

As for me, seems Temporal Agent Seven might be next on my 1-starred 4* chopping block, or Anastasia Komananov, to make room for a 2-star Duelist Yar and 3-star Mother Horta. Shame, I like the artwork on both.
  • Options
    With the coming events you are going to have a serious influx of new crew so you are going to be really pressed to make some tough decisions ... here's my 2 cents:

1. Freeze all immortalised 4* crew (4 crew spots). I've said this before, you have other options for Gauntlet ... take a hit there (and on Voyages/shuttles) and just learn to live with it, within no time you'll be back up to speed, believe me.

2. Level Discovery crew! By now you should have Reinforcements Stamets on your crew too (monthly 4* reward so will be FF over time) ... with this upcoming mega-event Discovery focused, it may be the case that Discovery crew give bonuses throughout ... so get First Officer Saru (SCI) and Sarek (DIP) up to 100 and you'll see benefits in their skills, especially during the Faction portions of the events.
    - Also, level the new mage-event 5* up asap.
    - Basically, forget about levelling all non-event associated crew for the next little while. :)
    - Also ... for faction events make room on your roster and level the event crew that you get through thresholds up during the weekend, they will really help out a lot (e.g. Mother Horta this last weekend) regarding shuttle success.

3. You might consider air locking the 1/4 that you'll get from the Galaxy/Hybrid community rewards. There will be three in total, the 1st, 3rd and 4th week. It does depend if they are new crew of not ... new crew will sit around at 1/4 for ages unless you manage to do well that event ... if they are older crew then you might already have them on your roster (keep fingers crossed).
    - Another consideration to keep is if the new crew have stellar base or proficiency stats at 1/4 (e.g. Mirror Jadzia for SEC or Mirror Phlox type crew).

4. Remember that Faction events also allow you to easily FF someone (e.g. Ash or Tarah this week) ... so if you level them you can cryo if need be.

5. Focus. What I didn't mention last time ... find some focus for levelling crew ... you've got a lot spread about at strange levels ... choose 1, take them to 100 and then move on to the next. I like to have 2-3 going at the same time, but in the past I focused on 2. My strategy:
    - Level an event-related crew (e.g. Sarek this week).
    - Level a crew who can help overall (e.g. I have Klingon Bride Jadzia - I'm sure J. Dax will be featured in a future event).
    - Level a low-level crew 10 levels a day to meet daily achievements associated with levelling and equipping crew (if I cannot make it with options 1 or 2 - this hardly ever happens).

Who you choose to focus on can be due to a lot of different reasons (like the crew, easy to level, need their base/proficiency skill etc. etc. etc.).
  • Options
    Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Thanks for the checklist! I really appreciate your putting so much thought into this! I've been powering through leveling/freezing my Rare crew, so I've managed to whittle down my crew roster so that I only have Mother Horta and Lucien on deck at the moment.
    1. Freeze all immortalised 4* crew (4 crew spots). I've said this before, you have other options for Gauntlet ... take a hit there (and on Voyages/shuttles) and just learn to live with it, within no time you'll be back up to speed, believe me.
    I know you very much would like to see me freeze those four FF/FE I have, but they're part of my Gauntlet core, so for now they're not going anywhere.
    3. Level Discovery crew!
    I have Reinforcement Stamets, Lt. Ash Tyler, Graduation Michael Burnham, Prisoner Burnham, Torchbearer Voq and Lt. Cmdr Saru in Cryostasis at the moment. My only active Discovery-era crew are First Officer Saru, Sarek and T'Kuvma.

The problem with the 4*-crew bottleneck issue is that I seldom can activate event-rewarded crew for the current week's event. For example, since you mentioned her, I still have three copies of Mother Horta in my crew "on deck" area waiting for me to clear bunks. (I think I saw in another post that we had 21 new crew introduced this past month? That's crazy. And while I'm looking forward to Cornwell, did we really need another Super-rare Ash Tyler?)
    5. Focus. What I didn't mention last time ... find some focus for levelling crew ... you've got a lot spread about at strange levels ... choose 1, take them to 100 and then move on to the next.
    What you're seeing is past leveling of those crew for various events or to clear specific missions - that's why a lot of my Super Rare crew seemingly have a random assortment of levels. For example, I recently just took Stranded Odo to level 99 so that I could clear a few Epic missions in Episode 4.
    My general "focus" is leveling any crew that I am able to FF/FE and add to my cryostasis collection. That's typically Rare/Uncommon/Common crew, but also any new event Super-rare crew that fully fuses from threshold and community rewards, and who doesn't immediately stand out in Gauntlet/Voyages usefulness.