Home Engineering Room
Options

STT Steam optimization.

edited January 2018 in Engineering Room
I'm just wondering, if the Steam client so badly optimized or is it doing something else, than just dealing with the game?

Sure, my HP Pavilion with i5-6200U @ 2.3 GHz and GF 940M isn't a powerhouse, but even when running in background and showing just chat or fleet screen, where NOTHING happens, the CPU usage usually oscillates between 30 and 40% and on GF never goes below 30% (and on integrated HD 520 rarely below 60%) with the main screen usually bringing GPU use to 80-99%.

This usage (you can check it for your comp using Task Manager) very often interferes with programs in foreground, at times freezing even Firefox for a few seconds and IMO is totally ridiculous for a game with such basic graphics, which has very few things to update, especially when it's in background. Unless, ofc, it's using our comps to mine BCs for DB, which some games do, but usually they inform players about this.

Title edited. ˜Shan

Comments

• Options
    FutureImperfectaFutureImperfecta ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they are..
    And they are doing so on Android too..

Turn it in to a feature for discounts !
    I'd open a "mini game" where I'm mining Dilithium for the Federation, use all the resources on my tablet you want while in this mode so long as it equals out to gains for the player as well.
  • Options
    Sounds like a Engineering problem not a bridge problem....

I assume you were kinda joking since BC mining takes a "little better" computer's full attention.
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
  • Options
    NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    I think this is just bad optimization, not anything malicious.

My understanding is, bitcoin mining uses a lot of memory. It is hardly scratching both system memory or GPU memory.

j21ez566tuph.png

nVidia GTX 760 4GB - ~30-50% GPU usage, 0.5GB out of 4 GB RAM. That feels more like just the textures, instead of running the mining algorithm.

i7 -4771 CPU (4 core + 4 HT cores), 8 GB RAM - 7% usage and timelines is using about 200 MB of RAM.
    "If it wasn't for autocorrect, we wouldn't have Tuvok on a Giraffe."
  • Options
    Capt. ChaosCapt. Chaos ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not optimized, that's for sure. My laptop turns into a space heater when I run the Steam client (which is almost never).
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Sounds like a Engineering problem not a bridge problem....

I assume you were kinda joking since BC mining takes a "little better" computer's full attention.

Nope, not joking at all. Even some webpages are currently using Java to get some fractional BCs mined, when you visit them - How to Block Cryptocurrency Miners in Your Web Browser. Also, to hide the activity, those things can be programmed to use only the proportion, not all, of available CPU/GPU power.

And I see it much more as a general discussion subject, than just the engineering problem, hence I decided to post it here.

Edit:

@NivenFres: You may have a good point here. I don't actually know, how BC mining affects memory.
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    This game is annoyingly resource intensive.

It absolutely destroys my phone's battery (I play it on my iPhone), and is much worse for performance, battery life, and heat compared to another more graphically/resource-intensive game I play on the same phone.

It's not coded efficiently, but then again, I've rarely ever played a game from a small-ish developer that was.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    @NivenFres: You may have a good point here. I don't actually know, how BC mining affects memory.

The other telling sign (from what I've seen), is there isn't a lot of memory activity. The GPU Copy graph is basically zero. My understanding is this represents data going between system memory and video memory. I believe bitcoin mining apps would have a lot of activity here, since it has to read out data constantly from system to video memory and visa versa. In this case, textures were loaded and there isn't a lot of other activity needed.

[edit]
    Fixed quotes.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the not so tech savvy, myself certainly included, what is bitcoin mining?
  • Options

Bitcoin is a cryptocurrency, that is obtained from "mining" blockchains.

The simple explanation is, you can get bitcoins (or fractions of them) by having your computer process a bunch of code/functions, these can be exchanged for money. There's a limited amount of bitcoin based on the blockchain (the thing your computer is processing), this creates the "value" in them.

Most people who mine bitcoins have a dedicated computer that does all the crunching required to obtain ("mine") bitcoins from the blockchain.

But, you can theoretically distribute it by inserting bits of code into other things (apps, webpages etc.) so that the device that loads the page/app does a bit of "mining" (it does a bit of crunching, and generates a very small fraction of bitcoin).

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    NivenFresNivenFres ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018

Bitcoin Mining

It is basically how to find the next usable bitcoin, which takes a lot of processing power.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I have just updated to the new Steam client. The lowest GF 940M usage (chat screen) have gone up to 45%, main screen GPU usage stays constantly at 98.5-100%, even as I type this in Firefox (with STT minimized), which is using the same GPU. That was a quick "fix", lol... almost as quick as Shan's censorship of this thread's title.

For those, that don't know, the censored thread title was: "Is STT a stealth BitCoin miner?" It's easy to change the title, but it doesn't mean, that the question stops being valid.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So who gives you the bitcoins for doing this and what is the advantage to the person or entity that gives you the bitcoins?
  • Options
    I'm sorry, but this is a bit silly. Do you really think they would risk virtually everyone quitting if they got found out? Come back with some shred of proof, even a little bit, and your question might get treated a bit better.
    Sisko: What are you gonna learn in the next few months that you haven't already learned in the last 300 years?
    Ezri Dax: Oh, how to keep from breaking into tears for no reason...
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm sorry, but this is a bit silly. Do you really think they would risk virtually everyone quitting if they got found out? Come back with some shred of proof, even a little bit, and your question might get treated a bit better.

And why exactly should people be more likely to quit? Whatever the reason, the overload on our computers is the same.

In my opinion, we should actually be more likely to quit, if we learn, that it's NOT a BC miner, but just so extreme and senseless programming incompetence, as this would put in serious question, if they will ever be able to cope with some other obvious programming issues affecting the gameplay, like the bugged success chances for shuttles during Faction Events.
  • Options

And why exactly should people be more likely to quit? Whatever the reason, the overload on our computers is the same.

Maliciousness is worse than incompetence in general society. If I break a laptop in the course of my job, I'll be forgiven and it'll be replaced. If I steal one and sell it, I'll be fired and arrested.
    Sisko: What are you gonna learn in the next few months that you haven't already learned in the last 300 years?
    Ezri Dax: Oh, how to keep from breaking into tears for no reason...
  • Options
    So who gives you the bitcoins for doing this and what is the advantage to the person or entity that gives you the bitcoins?

No one is "giving" anyone bitcoins. That's why it's called mining. You are literally finding new bitcoins through the processing of the blockchains.

So by placing code in webpages/apps, someone can use your device's processing power to help find the bitcoins within the blockchain and "extract" them.

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options

In my opinion, we should actually be more likely to quit, if we learn, that it's NOT a BC miner, but just so extreme and senseless programming incompetence, as this would put in serious question, if they will ever be able to cope with some other obvious programming issues affecting the gameplay, like the bugged success chances for shuttles during Faction Events.

As I said on top I first thought you were kinda jokingly using the mining as a pointer to the games performance.... and so I believe this would have been better in engineering.

But to really go out and accuse DB of Bitcoin mining over our backs is just ridiculous. You don't accuse people of stealing without a shred of evidence (and no, high cpu load is not evidence of malicious intent).
    "I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"
  • Options
    Black PebbleBlack Pebble ✭✭✭✭✭
    Locking this thread:

1) We're not using your PC to mine Bitcoin.
    1a) It's illegal to do so without your consent.
    1b) If we were, we'd be mining Etherium, not Bitcoin.
    1c) Consumer gaming graphics cards are not an efficient tool for cryptocurrency mining on any serious scale.

Hosun Lee
    Civilian, Brand and Marketing
    Ex-Disruptor Beam
This discussion has been closed.