Home The Bridge
Options

So I'm supposed to spend dilithium to keep my streak?

Yeah....no. Its just another one of those gauntlet headscratchers. You know, the ones where your 45% critical chance gets beat by a 5% critical chance who hits twice and you dont hit any? Or like the one in this case where the 45% Gowron gets one and the 65% Kahless gets 0...tried a similar matchup earlier today where the enemy Kahless hit 5 times and my Gowron hit once.

I know I know, I'm about to get told how its all totally super random RNG and is in no way rigged to make you spend your dilithium to preserve your winning streak once you have a good one going but I cant be the only one who finds it more than a little odd. Maths isn't my strong point so maybe its fine, maybe your enemy hitting 5 criticals at 65% and you hitting zero still falls well within the boundaries of possibilities6zjxbyl621zj.png

Comments

• Options
    It happened again, suppose its fine though as at least this time I got 2 and he got....yup 5fjy17wop6ial.png
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Gauntlet is like every other RNG activity in this game. You are playing crooked slots.

Free players can do ok if RNG is on their side. Everybody else can overcome the RNG curse by spending a little real money, or a lot of real money if they are really unlucky.

The rewards you get 90% of the time in gauntlet are meh by anybody's standards. Whether you want to risk getting something good by chipping in some of your hard-earned cheddar is only something you can decide is of any value.
  • Options
    Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    High Crit gauntlets are a bastion for high variance results. Note, in the first screenshot, even if you take out that one crit, you're still losing huge due to the low CMD rolls.

Sometimes you over-perform. Sometimes you under-perform. It's all a crapshoot.
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try playing against a lower point match
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gauntlet is like every other RNG activity in this game. You are playing crooked slots.

Free players can do ok if RNG is on their side. Everybody else can overcome the RNG curse by spending a little real money, or a lot of real money if they are really unlucky.

The rewards you get 90% of the time in gauntlet are meh by anybody's standards. Whether you want to risk getting something good by chipping in some of your hard-earned cheddar is only something you can decide is of any value.

I actually forget for months at a time that there is a legendary crew rare reward. That’s how “limited” winning it is

• Options
    Oh I agree the rewards aren't worth the expenditure (unless you're going for Guinan, all of mine dropped from streaks and not end of gauntlet loot crates) but now that I have her maxed its really just a source of free merit points for me. Once the new crew comes out I'll probably get more active in it.

Still just a bit of a kicker to see matchups you should obviously win (or at least have a reasonable chance of winning) lose because your enemy hits more criticals than you when you should be doing better. I'm just using kahless as an example there. It seems to happen more often than it should, maybe its just human nature to remember the times you got screwed over better than you remember the times it screwed your opponent over in your favour.
  • Options
    Yeah the RNG in gauntlet can swing really far. I've both won and lost a LOT of rounds I shouldn't have. Once I began going for the easiest picks though I did have a lot more luck with getting Guinan. I pulled 4, all from low streak boxes (one was a 15 streak, but the other 3 were all 3 streak).
  • Options
    Try playing against a lower point match

I wish that was actually how it worked. Lower point matches = easier matches. More often than not, its usually a wall of Mirror Picards or something similar.

Then you have to merit refresh and take on something else. Attacking a CPU with a 45% or 65% crit chance is suicide.
    Immortalized: 465
    Tour of duty: January 2016 to present.
    Shut up Wesley.
  • Options
    Ignoring starbases (as I don't have yours or the opponent's). these matchups are probably a lot closer than you think.

45% Gowron vs 65% Kahless DIP/SEC, Gowron is a winner 88% of the time.

65% Kahless vs 45% Gowron CMD/DIP, Kahless is a winner 61% of the time.

Neither is remotely close to a huge upset.
  • Options
    Gauntlet numbers are ugly wallpaper...the only measureable risk is “no matching skills”
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    Well, look at it this way.... Every time you lose an attack due to terrible RNG, that's also probably a time you won a defensive battle for the same reason from some other poor sap.
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah the RNG in gauntlet can swing really far. I've both won and lost a LOT of rounds I shouldn't have. Once I began going for the easiest picks though I did have a lot more luck with getting Guinan. I pulled 4, all from low streak boxes (one was a 15 streak, but the other 3 were all 3 streak).

That is a big part of the problem. If the supposedly legendary drops more frequently from three win streaks it makes a while mockery of the odds.

The DB odds are more random than the RNG
  • Options
    Hunter247 wrote: »

That is a big part of the problem. If the supposedly legendary drops more frequently from three win streaks it makes a while mockery of the odds.

The DB odds are more random than the RNG

I never though of it like that. I always just assumed more people report getting the Gauntlet Legendary from 3 streak boxes because they are opened a LOT more than any others. Maybe one of our statistics people has tracked data on this?
  • Options
    Princess TristaPrincess Trista ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Ignoring starbases (as I don't have yours or the opponent's). these matchups are probably a lot closer than you think.

I have found that matches for me with having a higher starbase have resulted in a lower percentage win (2 wins compared to 23 losses) when matched against the same exact crew with a lower starbase addition. So I no longer look for matches with the same exact crew. It is almost guaranteeing a loss. And you would think it would be the other way around hmmm.

Trista
  • Options
    Hunter247Hunter247 ✭✭✭✭

I have found that matches for me with having a higher starbase have resulted in a lower percentage win (2 wins compared to 23 losses) when matched against the same exact crew with a lower starbase addition. So I no longer look for matches with the same exact crew. It is almost guaranteeing a loss. And you would think it would be the other way around hmmm.

Trista

I have lost in head to heads when the opponent is clearly not fully equipped (my stats are much higher it can't just be starbase boosts)

I lose head to head matches about 92% of the time
  • Options

Trista

Whatever tinfoil hat works for you
  • Options
    See, they're not stupid. If you try keeping track of crits on both sides and obtain a large sample, and people have, percentages will look on point, but who's to say that the crits are distributed fairly. Say you take a fight that you couldn't lose at 0% crit with all min rolls and you crit 6 out of 6 at 65%. Now the next one is risky, and when you need that 65% to crit at least 4 out of 6 they only crit 2 out of 6. But 8 out of 12 is still correct for 65%. It's biased, but you can't prove it.
  • Options
    Yes, is the answer. The game is designed for it. Merits first, then dilithium. I have no idea what the rewards are like in the top 25 but playing for free is hardly worth it. I did get a Guinan once, but the amount of effort I spent to get her was enormous. And not everyone does. And she's hardly unique nowadays. Good for voyages but.

I know of several long-term players who completely ignore the Gauntlet. As for me, it gives me something to do every four hours or so, if I remember.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, is the answer. The game is designed for it. Merits first, then dilithium. I have no idea what the rewards are like in the top 25 but playing for free is hardly worth it. I did get a Guinan once, but the amount of effort I spent to get her was enormous. And not everyone does. And she's hardly unique nowadays. Good for voyages but.

I know of several long-term players who completely ignore the Gauntlet. As for me, it gives me something to do every four hours or so, if I remember.

Since Guinan is so random, it makes no sense to expend too much extra effort trying for her. if she drops, she drops.

I'm a casual Gauntlet player at best and I've got her at 3/5.....
  • Options
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Since Guinan is so random, it makes no sense to expend too much extra effort trying for her. if she drops, she drops.

Oh yeah. I was ranked 63 when she dropped in a box at the end. No streak. It took me a while to pick my jaw up off the floor.
    Ten Forward Loungers - Give Your Best, Get Our Best!
    Check out our website to find out more:
    https://wiki.tenforwardloungers.com/
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Oh yeah. I was ranked 63 when she dropped in a box at the end. No streak. It took me a while to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Mine came opening the second of three of the most basic boxes after finishing 98th

• Options
    p377y7h33f wrote: »
    See, they're not stupid. If you try keeping track of crits on both sides and obtain a large sample, and people have, percentages will look on point, but who's to say that the crits are distributed fairly. Say you take a fight that you couldn't lose at 0% crit with all min rolls and you crit 6 out of 6 at 65%. Now the next one is risky, and when you need that 65% to crit at least 4 out of 6 they only crit 2 out of 6. But 8 out of 12 is still correct for 65%. It's biased, but you can't prove it.

I have seen this countless times. I call it "wasting crits." it's as if the algorithm knows that you're gonna win anyway, so it pads this match with crits to try to keep it close to meeting the pct.
  • Options
    I never spend dils on the gauntlet, and I finally finished 4th a couple weeks ago, which was my main goal for gauntlet. Now it's just for farming equipment, credits, chrons & replicator rations. (Top 5 BTW gets you a Super Rare 10x pull. Top 1 only gets you 2000 honour)

I have received 2 Guinans, and a couple 5* crew as random rewards, and those were months ago, before I was able to start using leveled 5* crew for it.

Now I am finishing top 10 nearly every day. It's just you have to pick the right crew. And yes, lower opponent stats for some reason still beat me every time when same vs. same. (Lately Mirror Picard)

Keep at it. It is RNG hell, so don't get an aneurism trying to figure out why that 5% opponent rated less than half of your 45% crew skill, still beat you. It happens, and will continue to happen.
    I want to become a Dilionaire...
  • Options
    Not a matter of supposed to spend dilithium, just DB allowing the choice to. If you don't think the game fair then don't spend. Guinen only requires luck, not a long win streak. Good rankings require a good crew, but they don't have to be ridiculously good. I have Guinen, but not Locutus. I know I can end up in the top 10 with average luck and good timing. I just look at it as play it and get some stuff at the end. Usually some chrons, and a few items I would otherwise have to farm to equip characters. It doesn't cost me anything but a little time.
  • Options
    Funny, I just got my first Guinan today after just over 2000 Gauntlet rounds. I got down to level 3 and probably about a win streak of 9 or 10.

So is she worth taking the double your crew deal, or is she only good for Gauntlet and leaving at 1 star?
  • Options
    Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerfball6 wrote: »
    Funny, I just got my first Guinan today after just over 2000 Gauntlet rounds. I got down to level 3 and probably about a win streak of 9 or 10.

So is she worth taking the double your crew deal, or is she only good for Gauntlet and leaving at 1 star?

As is the case with many Legendaries, the gain in skill points from 1* to 2* is minimal. But she is worth FF'ing, I think, so one more star will get you that much closer. Not to mention that you'll have an easy route to level 50 with the DYC offer — and I don't recall explicitly where she starts getting difficult, but I know that overall she needs a lot of alcohol, so that's not an insignificant justification on its own.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Options
    Thanks Data!! The level 50 items is probably the thing that has been enticing me to take the deal the most. I think I'll go for it. My Gauntlet crew has gotten a lot stronger over the last couple of months, so maybe my chances of getting more copies will be better. ;)