Home The Bridge
Options

Does DB control the STT Wiki page?

Does anyone know if DB controls the STT Wiki (stt.wiki)? The reason I ask is because there have been some edits recently - specifically regarding Voyages and the voyage-only crew - that have made me question if DB is editing and/or controlling the STT Wiki pages.

I recently submitted a trouble ticket, as have others here on the forums, regarding The Clown not dropping when "The Voice of the Prophets" dilemma triggers during a voyage. I've followed the algorithms posted here in the forums as well as the info on the wiki. Unfortunately, when TVotP triggers, choice "C" has been grayed out, even after selecting choice "A" in "The Beginning of the End"....(this is an entirely different topic).

Anyway, the CS rep assigned to my ticket was, unfortunately, quite dismissive and did not address the issue. She did, however, say one thing that made me start to question who controls/edits the Wiki. She said, "We'll update the Wiki once we have more information." I went back to the Wiki page on Voyage Dilemmas a couple of days later and all of the voyage-only crew have been wiped from the dilemmas; the algorithms on how to get these crew members are no longer listed.

This got me thinking - how much does DB edit the STT wiki pages? The Wiki is an independent player resource and not affiliated with DB. Players have dedicated A LOT of time and resources to make the STT Wiki what it is today. I would be a little concerned if DB started editing the Wiki. When I use the Wiki - specifically the item drop rate charts (great resource!) - I think there is a sense of truth and integrity with these given that this information has all been generated by players and willingly shared with the player base. The same could be said for percentages calculated for Dabo prizes, etc. I can understand the command and control that DB has in the forums - they are, after all, their official forum pages. However, the Wiki is independent of DB. What's to say that DB doesn't edit other pages in the Wiki to better serve their bottom line? I understand the Wiki pages can be edited by anyone, but is there a line that is crossed when DB starts to edit the pages?

I'm just curious what other players think. Should DB edit the Wiki in an official capacity? If they do edit pages, are they interfering too much? Looking forward to hearing/reading the thoughtful and respectful dialogue on this.

For those "TL;DR" forum readers - Does DB control/edit the STT Wiki? If so, is this good, bad, or no big deal?

Comments

• Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do not. We do
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a wiki, anyone is free to edit it. It's controlled by the players, but DB has edited it in the past. For example, Nod added a lot of the achievement data. The only way we've known that Locutus was an achievement until people crossed 10k rounds was because Nod added the data. He also would fill in missing stats when he had free time.

If DB is now censoring data from the wiki that's problematic, but the wiki moderators can revert the page.
  • Options
    Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    AviTrek wrote: »
    It's a wiki, anyone is free to edit it. It's controlled by the players, but DB has edited it in the past. For example, Nod added a lot of the achievement data. The only way we've known that Locutus was an achievement until people crossed 10k rounds was because Nod added the data. He also would fill in missing stats when he had free time.

If DB is now censoring data from the wiki that's problematic, but the wiki moderators can revert the page.

Good point. I didn’t think about how would we know about achievements such as Locutus if they didn’t put it there. I stand corrected

• Options

That’s right - Nod did some good things for the Wiki.

I think “censoring data” is a better way to describe what I think is happening, at least with the Voyages page.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    For that matter, all the Voyages specific crew are still on the wiki. Any attempt to have removed them would show up in the history. If you can find the edit where they were removed then I'm sure someone can track down who did it. Until then, this was just a clueless CS rep not knowing what the wiki was.
  • Options
    For that matter, all the Voyages specific crew are still on the wiki.

They were not there for the past couple of days. Just looked again and now they are back. Someone must have reverted them back. Whoever did, thanks!

• Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did you see them missing? I just looked at the revision history for all of 2018 and I don't see any edit that reduced the size of the page to indicate the data being removed.
  • Options
    General McDuckGeneral McDuck ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    When did you see them missing? I just looked at the revision history for all of 2018 and I don't see any edit that reduced the size of the page to indicate the data being removed.

I received my response from CS on 24 January. They were gone on 25 January through this afternoon at least. I refreshed multiple times on both my computer and phone because I was so surprised they were gone...which was my whole point of this post. The icons for the voyage-specific crew were not listed with their respective dilemmas. I wish I had taken a screen shot. Very strange.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    First edit on January 25th
    https://stt.wiki/w/index.php?title=Dilemmas&oldid=167304

Last edit on January 26th
    https://stt.wiki/w/index.php?title=Dilemmas&oldid=167595

The current page with the last edit on the 17th at 12:07
    https://stt.wiki/w/index.php?title=Dilemmas&oldid=167680

I'm not sure what you saw, but I see no indication of the crew being removed from the wiki.
  • Options
    @AviTrek - you clearly know what you are doing when it comes to editing the Wiki...all I can do is read it! And apparently, I messed up doing that. I'll look to see if I have the Dilemma page open on another device and see if it is still there and snag a screen shot.
  • Options
    @AviTrek - you clearly know what you are doing when it comes to editing the Wiki...all I can do is read it.

In the upper right bit of the page you'll find a link to "View history". There you have a full list of edits, including the name of the editor, the date, and a link to the page they produced (just click on the date to see it).

For an editor there is no way to fake this page, and DB people are just editors.

If you find some indication of foul play, it would be best if you could use the time stamp to tell us which edit it was and what author it was. It would be very helpful.

That said, like AviTrek, I fail to see anything fishy happening.
    "Dance with me. For science."
  • Options
    @Astrometrics - thanks for the input.

It isn't a matter of foul play, but more DB editing the Wiki. Glad to see that there haven't been any significant edits on the Dilemmas page. I'm not sure what I saw a couple of days ago.

However, the CS rep still implied that DB would edit the Wiki page. Hopefully, if they do, it would be like Nod did (as mentioned above) and not for any other reasons. Thanks again for the input.
  • Options
    AviTrekAviTrek ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to remember, CS is outsourced to a 3rd party company which often doesn't know what's going on. Also, the wiki reflects what players have reported not what DB has committed too. So if you said, "I'm supposed to get player X by following this path" and then they said "the rewards are random and not guaranteed" that's completely valid. If you then followed up by claiming the wiki said X, then a CS rep that doesn't really know about the wiki might have just looked at a script that said, "no rewards are guaranteed" and responded, "thank you for alerting us, we'll correct this bad data", that's just a CS rep trying to be helpful and nothing sinister involved.
  • Options
    Frank?Frank? ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back in the day, I did float the idea to DB to 'indirectly' send us some wiki stuff - clear/direct artwork, achievement details, etc.

Nod was really good with it.

DB is aware of the wiki and gave the blessing for it - we don't violate anything with their contract with CBS and aren't profiting off it, so we are all good. It's entirely player funded. Feel free to throw the admins a few bits of spare change to help buy them a cold beverage.
  • Options
    It really is well worth looking at and supporting.

The Wiki is run by players for players and we can all help it a bit by passing relevant info or supporting it by linking it or so.

Hi Frank 😊.