Home The Bridge
Options

Assignment recommendation: Cardassia Prime

edited January 2018 in The Bridge
j68zsl6d6apq.png
Greetings captain!

It’s Commander Branch again, the chief personnel officer at Starbase 63. As you may recall, we’re near a recurrent temporal anomaly, one of the more stable in this universe, and as a result we have a steady supply of displaced personnel, many of them well-suited to jobs in this universe. My job is to orient newly arrived refugees and find work for those willing and able to lend a hand to Starfleet at this difficult time.

There are, however, some special assignments which Starfleet Command has asked me to forward to you and some of the other captains running point during this temporal crisis. In each case I’ve compiled a dossier of potential candidates, and am looking for your recommendation for this difficult assignment.

The first of these saw the EMH Mark II assigned to the USS Blackwell as chief medical officer.

The second of these assignments is as an engineering supervisor on Cardassia Prime. The Cardassian home world was devastated during the Dominion occupation, and the rebuilding work—both on ground facilities and on the still-struggling fleet—is immense.

Our candidates:

• Henry Archer, formerly the primary developer of the first human-designed Warp 5 engine. The pioneering designer had a profound impact on humanity’s subsequent technological development after Zefram Cochrane initially broke the warp barrier. His primary skill is engineering, with secondary abilities in science and diplomacy.
  • Lt. Commander Argyle, formerly a chief engineer of the USS Enterprise-D. His primary skill is engineering, with secondary abilities in science and command.
  • Lt. Joseph Carey, formerly the assistant chief engineer of the USS Voyager. Although initially the frontrunner for the chief engineer post, he was eventually assigned a subordinate position to Maquis crewmember B’Elanna Torres. His primary skill is engineering, with secondary abilities in diplomacy and command.
  • Lt. Joann Owosekun, formerly the operations officer of the USS Discovery. Her primary skill is engineering, with secondary ability in science.
  • Mirror Montgomery Scott, formerly the chief engineer of the USS Enterprise. The legendary engineer crossed over to our timeline after inadvertently being transported to the Mirror Universe, where he went undercover on the ISS Enterprise. His primary skill is engineering, with secondary abilities in command and security.
  • Lightship Sisko, formerly the commander of Deep Space Nine. Sisko has long experience overseeing starship design, and crossed over to our timeline after building an exact replica of an ancient Bajoran lightship from scratch. His primary skill is engineering, with secondary abilities in command and diplomacy.

Assignment recommendation: Cardassia Prime 120 votes

Henry Archer
12%
The FishDpmtGrant77Ditto[BL] Q PinkyfirstCapt. ReynoldsDrone_oneK Han Solo Ng & Thank4 All DteaEgo DraconisNeack<TGE> Cliffordguest_772146419605504S31Ryanf47 15 votes
Lt. Commander Argyle
4%
eXo | das411KaiteedwhisperIronagedaveBBBytes 5 votes
Lt. Joseph Carey
10%
Knight RangerCaptain Durf[NDQ] Joker41NAMBardezJim RaynorNS111111AntasilJERI RYAN[FF] Vice Admiral NairnePepex82None[DCC]FeuxlinYateball 13 votes
Lt. Joann Owosekun
10%
Sabine of AthensNad HalGrumpfer[DB: Do comBs] KilanaMidspeedLarxenekobaSiegfried LeadHead[10F] Belle'Anna robownagePompeyMagnusguest_795832339091456 13 votes
Mirror Montgomery Scott
28%
[7TW] UnkieB[KM] UL1R53[KM]VidemWaldoMag[SSR] The Iron CowProssergarnerRocpile[NDQ] ThunderDropCapt. ChaosMagisse William T. Riker[TFA] Commodore Wizzlestixscruffy151[QH] He-Who-MeowsAlthea BiermontDubstoniousVaelerys Targaryenaklobo(10F)Geekgirl 34 votes
Lightship Ben Sisko
33%
SixDifferentWaysAviTrekAmphistaffCaptain_Who[ISA] RavenFor Cardassia[GoT] jess-gayIkrit[DB:Do Better] More Tranya!Captain Sisko [AA][TUFG] SiguardZann Calcore (ISA)Lady GaghgaghJim SteeleCommander TuckerPallidyne[10F] Fuzzy MooHungry Dog DDMLeshytjarls 40 votes

Comments

• Options
    Mirror Montgomery Scott
    I didn't even read the other options! :)
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lt. Joseph Carey
    I didn't even read the other options! :)

Ugh, I regret not reading more carefully haha that is the better choice
  • Options
    AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    I've wanted the Lightship and corresponding Sisko and Jake ever since I saw the episode a year and a half ago!
  • Options
    DavideBooksDavideBooks ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror Montgomery Scott
    Lightship Sisko and Henry Archer would be good cards, but they would not be good chief engineers for a station.
  • Options
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    Lightship Sisko. Would be a perfect 3*. Also make sure he gets the "we are explorers" soundbite.
  • Options
    Lt. Joseph Carey
    Lightship Sisko and Henry Archer would be good cards, but they would not be good chief engineers for a station.

But I did think they'd fit as engineering supervisors in this scenario. If Henry Archer could design Earth's first Warp 5 ship basically from scratch, he's not a bad choice to run the refitting of the Cardassian fleet. Meanwhile, Sisko's old job was in ship design and construction at the Federation's Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, where he helped design the USS Defiant (Given that backstory, a version of Sisko with some engineering skill is long overdue).

I voted for Joe Carey because I've always been a Joe Carey fanboy, but I kind of want to see all of these cards in-game.
  • Options
    Lt. Joseph Carey
    I chose Lt. Carey. I always liked him for some reason.
  • Options
    Mirror Montgomery Scott
    Scotty. You can never have enough Scotty. Or too much.
  • Options
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    Yay Light Beer Sisko
    DB = Climbing up an endless wall...
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightship Ben Sisko

But I did think they'd fit as engineering supervisors in this scenario. If Henry Archer could design Earth's first Warp 5 ship basically from scratch, he's not a bad choice to run the refitting of the Cardassian fleet. Meanwhile, Sisko's old job was in ship design and construction at the Federation's Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards, where he helped design the USS Defiant (Given that backstory, a version of Sisko with some engineering skill is long overdue).

If we're going to play reality over favorites, Sisko is the only choice here. His Utopia Planetia experience is going to let him understand what's being built and understand, communicate with, and direct the engineers doing the Actual Work. He's also the only one with any meaningful command experience, let alone any experience working with anything at scale.

Designing a single engine, or playing with and repairing a single ship at a time is not going to lend itself well to dealing with layers of personnel and bureaucracy and managing long term, large scale logistics.

The others can report to Sisko, and lead specific projects, but not manage global reconstruction efforts and shipyard building.
  • Options
    Lt. Joseph Carey

If we're going to play reality over favorites, Sisko is the only choice here. His Utopia Planetia experience is going to let him understand what's being built and understand, communicate with, and direct the engineers doing the Actual Work. He's also the only one with any meaningful command experience, let alone any experience working with anything at scale.

Designing a single engine, or playing with and repairing a single ship at a time is not going to lend itself well to dealing with layers of personnel and bureaucracy and managing long term, large scale logistics.

The others can report to Sisko, and lead specific projects, but not manage global reconstruction efforts and shipyard building.

If you're overseeing the entire rebuilding effort, absolutely (though that would fall more to a CMD than ENG primary anyway). I deliberately left the exact nature of the supervisory role (are they overseeing a single construction team - a group of them - the entire effort?) a little bit vague with the idea that it would allow any of the six options to be plausible candidates for the job.
  • Options
    Mirror Montgomery Scott
    When you put it like that, Sisko is the best. On the other hand, Scotty and Archer would have had experience leading teams. But overall governance of the operations, Sisko is needed with the others under his direction.
  • Options
    Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    If you're overseeing the entire rebuilding effort, absolutely (though that would fall more to a CMD than ENG primary anyway). I deliberately left the exact nature of the supervisory role (are they overseeing a single construction team - a group of them - the entire effort?) a little bit vague with the idea that it would allow any of the six options to be plausible candidates for the job.

Good point, I read it wrong. That makes the choice a bit harder, bringing Scott and Archer into play. It would be fun to see Daddy Archer, but I have to disagree and give him Science primary (he designed, didn't build the Warp 5 Engine), Engineering second, and diplomacy 3rd.
    So Mirror Scotty has to edge him out for second place because, well, Scotty! Not to mention those Terran Empire ships had to be quite different from Starfleet ones, so he's got some great experience with alien tech.
  • Options
    Dirk GundersonDirk Gunderson ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mirror Montgomery Scott
    Sisko would undoubtedly make a good project manager. He’s got people skills, is a proven leader, and doesn’t get enough credit for his technical skills.

I voted for Mirror Scott because, as someone already mentioned, you never can have too much Scotty. Plus, his resourcefulness and ability to make the impossible into reality is unmatched.
  • Options
    KaiteeKaitee ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lt. Commander Argyle
    Man, tough to have to not pick Lightship Sisko - love the episode, love his costume, the goatee makes its first appearance, and I'm still missing Captain Sisko and Niners Sisko, so I feel like the more Sisko available the better everything will be. But I'm a friend of DeSoto, there's no way I can pass on a Natural Yeager - Argyle it is.
  • Options
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    Sisko is the best fit for the job. In addition to what others have mentioned for his qualifications, he is the only candidate to have any familiarity with Cardassian culture and technologies.
  • Options
    Mirror Montgomery Scott
    Sisko is the best fit for the job. In addition to what others have mentioned for his qualifications, he is the only candidate to have any familiarity with Cardassian culture and technologies.

That is a great point i didn't consider.
  • Options
    Grant77Grant77 ✭✭✭✭
    Henry Archer
    Henry Archer, very cool suggestion!! I love Mirror Scotty too.
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lt. Joseph Carey
    I'm blown away by the votes for Sisko, I thought that was such a weak episode, one of the rare ones I skip when watching the series. To each their own I guess!
  • Options
    For CardassiaFor Cardassia ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    More Sisko!

I'd like Henry Archer, but not without more Archer Jrs first.
    “Treason, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.” - Elim Garak

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    (HGH)Apollo(HGH)Apollo ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    More Siskos! Would also like to have his father as well.
    Let’s fly!
  • Options
    Lightship Ben Sisko

Yes! As both a restaurant owner and a priest. We need all the Siskos!

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lt. Joseph Carey

Admiral Cartwright not good enough? lol
  • Options
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    Yateball wrote: »

Guy who can make Cajun AND Creole food > any admiral any day

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    YateballYateball ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Lt. Joseph Carey

I want some of his Gumbo.... straight up.... While on that subject... "Gumbo Sisko" sounds like a catchy crew to me
  • Options
    PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lightship Ben Sisko

Foodie even with Potato Peeler Ben Sisko
  • Options
    Lightship Ben Sisko
    Pallidyne wrote: »

Foodie even with Potato Peeler Ben Sisko

I'd take a 5* Potato Peeler Sisko

Cardassian wishlist:
    Tora Ziyal - Thanks!
    Natima Lang
    Empok Nor Garak
    Tekeny Ghemor
    Mira
    Makbar
    Dejar
    Ulani Belor
  • Options
    Lt. Joseph Carey
    Last call for anyone still hoping to vote. A new assignment recommendation comes out tomorrow.
  • Options
    Lt. Joseph Carey
    Last call for anyone still hoping to vote. A new assignment recommendation comes out tomorrow.

Apologies, we're having trouble with our transceiver array, and this next communication will thus be delayed until Wednesday.
  • Options
    eXo | das411eXo | das411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lt. Commander Argyle
    Voted for Argyle because we could certainly use more non-Rikers with "bearded" and c'mon who doesn't want to see another 4/4 with only one skill like Chapel, or even a one-skill 5* like Scotty?