Home The Bridge

Android ads are telling me to download malware.

So I just got an ad for "Spinner boost-free,small,fast,power clean" which promises to speed up loading times for apps.

As enticing as that is with the loading times of Timelines, this is obviously a scam. Don't install this thing.

DB, you need to have a talk with whoever is providing ads for Android. Their quality control is clearly lacking.

Comments

• t<G>e  Roonist<G>e Roonis ✭✭✭✭
    3.0 ads are cancerous. 95% don't have a mute button, some don't fully load properly and lock up (looking at you McDonald's chicken tender ad) some are for shady products. It's a mess.
  • AmphistaffAmphistaff ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roonis, you still play with your sound on? You're crazy dude.
  • Amphistaff wrote: »

I think the problem is that they play sound even if you're muted. I was lucky and the first time it happened, I wasn't at work, so I learned only to run ad-warps at home now. No one at work cares if I spend a bit of time on my phone, but they expect you to do it quietly.
    The Guardians of Tomorrow
    Protecting the Galaxy's Future from itself
    Chief Intelligence Officer
  • Seems like 80% of ads on iOS are using stolen footage from other video games.

After seeing the same fake ads over and over, I'll usually end up just downloading the app from the app store so I can leave them a terrible review. It would be nice if we could report terrible ads within the ad serving window though (not that Unity or whoever will feel bad for serving up deceptive or false ads though).
  • Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems like 80% of ads on iOS are using stolen footage from other video games.

After seeing the same fake ads over and over, I'll usually end up just downloading the app from the app store so I can leave them a terrible review. It would be nice if we could report terrible ads within the ad serving window though (not that Unity or whoever will feel bad for serving up deceptive or false ads though).

Nah, this is the business model of these ad agencies. They know they're lying, they're trying to lie, they're lying to people buying the time, and they're lying to the people displaying their ads. It's a well known fact, but because enough money changes hands, nobody cares.
    I personally think it reflects on the companies who allow these ad agencies to display on their platforms. E.G. DB knows this company is fraudulent, but they care more about money than ethics, so they support the ad agency by allowing them to use their platform for the agency's deceptive practices.
    Thank Google for monetizing you.
  • Data1001Data1001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roonis wrote: »
    3.0 ads are cancerous. 95% don't have a mute button, some don't fully load properly and lock up (looking at you McDonald's chicken tender ad) some are for shady products. It's a mess.

That McDonald's chicken tender ad ALWAYS locks up for me, as well. I've had it about 6 or 7 times, and it starts to play about a second of video, then quickly cuts to a screen where it looks like you can "X" out of it, but when you try to, it warns that doing so will be forfeiting your ad "reward". Waiting 30-45 seconds before trying to close the ad also doesn't help. I think I always have to use the device's back button to get out of it, then try the ad warp again, hoping I don't get the same one.

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
    ~ Data, ST:TNG "Haven"
  • Amphistaff wrote: »
    The game has sound?! ????
  • WaldoMagWaldoMag ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amphistaff wrote: »

N C C 1 7 0 1
    No bloody A, B ....

• Captain_WhoCaptain_Who ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amphistaff wrote: »

I dunno, it makes some horrible boops and beeps by self turning on sound every time you toggle back to it, though it shows it's turned down. Excellent, erm, feature.
  • PallidynePallidyne ✭✭✭✭✭
    Endless sound loop from part of Next Gens theme making me want to find pictures of Goldsmith to shoot with a bb gun.

That's the result of my 15 minutes of playing with the sound on. Been off for a year now and proud of it.

The person who wrote "Best enjoyed with the sound on." is someone I want to meet---in a paintball field.
  • I like some of the sounds... but I can't play with sound on when one of my mates is around, or he reaches over my shoulder constantly and clicks on Scotty... No bloody A, B, C, D or *KABOOOM* and my head has exploded.
    ~|~|~ Rise of the Phoenix member ~|~|~

Captain level 50, approaching 100 immortals

All you need to know about Disruptor Beam