Home Make It So!

Gauntlet Parity "Wall" Solution Suggestion: Points System

Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2018 in Make It So!
Perhaps the solution to the "Wall of" issue is a matter of establishing parity in the Gauntlet to make it more competitive, much as they do in professional sports with a salary cap.

Allocate a certain number of points which make it prohibitive to have more than one legendary crew member on your team at a time. Legendaries would cost 5 points, Super-rare 4 points, and so forth.

For example, say every participant received 20 points for each Gauntlet, meaning people could have:
- 5 Super-rare crew
- 1 Legendary, 3 Super-rare, 1 Rare
- 2 Legendary, 2 Super-rare, 1 Uncommon
- etc...

People would have to choose either Locutus or Mirror Picard, or if choosing both, be forced to sacrifice in other areas. This is encourages crew roster diversity and makes the Gauntlet more competitive for newer players. IDIC in action.

(I posted this suggestion in another "Gauntlet Wall" thread, but rather than dilute that post's suggestion, I thought I'd re-state it in an independent thread.)
Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!

Comments

• Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Valeris, Mirror Phlox, Romulan Kirk, Drone Seven, Ambassador Sarek, Bridge Officer Troi, Antaak, Waitress Ezri. Those would be the crew I chose from for each gauntlet with a 20 star cap. I do like that idea. It would create greater opponent diversity
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think you end up shifting which characters are the "walls". In fact, you might end up making the problem worse since this would make commonly held 4*s more desirable. This is already visible with Mirror Phlox (one of the more frequently complained about 'wall' characters). This sort of change would make the "Phlox Problem" even worse and would likely also become a "Valeris Problem" as well.
  • I think the point system would be based on total average proficiency or something like that so that a 4* is not automatically less points than a 5*. This would be better (and still relatively easy to implement) without confusing character rarity with actual value in the gauntlet.
    Member of Rise of the Phoenix.
  • I think the point system would be based on total average proficiency or something like that so that a 4* is not automatically less points than a 5*. This would be better (and still relatively easy to implement) without confusing character rarity with actual value in the gauntlet.

This idea is brilliant. Would create all sorts of different crew being used for gauntlet.

I also like the OP idea as well because it might be easier to implement, and might be a good starting point to lead to Ran Airen's suggestion.
  • Shy KhanShy Khan ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m going to bump this as a suggestion, as we seem to be on our fourth or fifth Wall Off Triple-Threat Guinan Gauntlet of the Spring.
    Come join the Steeler Nation Fleet!
  • Banjo1012Banjo1012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shy Khan wrote: »
    I’m going to bump this as a suggestion, as we seem to be on our fourth or fifth Wall Off Triple-Threat Guinan Gauntlet of the Spring.

Good call. There does need to be some kind of change. Seems like my matches are even repeating. Refresh time comes. My Nachayev loses to Khaless. My Seven loses to Mirror Picard. My Mirror Troi loses to Mirror Phlox....

• SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a frequent thread. It would be nice if they would alter the format of the Gauntlet.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...
  • Peachtree RexPeachtree Rex ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a frequent thread. It would be nice if they would alter the format of the Gauntlet.

Starbases and collections are the only things that have really changed the gauntlet since its inception. Hopefully it is on their short list for tinkering.

As I said above, however, I hope they don't go down this avenue.
  • SoupKitchen RikerSoupKitchen Riker ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018

Starbases and collections are the only things that have really changed the gauntlet since its inception. Hopefully it is on their short list for tinkering.

As I said above, however, I hope they don't go down this avenue.

I understand the concern you raise regarding “character walls”, a very valid point, but DB still needs to do something to increase the variety in the Gauntlet. Skill and proficiency boosts aren’t really enough to make a significant difference. Without something to make it engaging, it will become stagnant, much like the arena is now. How many players are just going through the motions in that part of the game? I, for one, do not find that to be engaging game play and would like to see some ideas for change. But, if the current format works for you, to each his/her own.
    “A committee is a cul-de-sac, down which good ideas are lured and quietly strangled.” —Mark TwainMEMBER: [BoB] Barrel of Bloodwine... We are recruiting and putting the “curv” in scurvy! Best Event Finish: #3 Honor Debt: Inconceivable...Honor Bank Account: Slowly building...